Sign in to follow this  
kelly

Kelly Dept.: Kelly posts links to articles and Big Bang Theory gifs here ~~~

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Here lemme save the day.

The Jets need a cornerback. The Chiefs may have just the guy.

Even if New York re-signs Morris Claiborne, there is still work to be done at the position. With an established defensive back on the opposite side of Claiborne, the Jets would have one the best secondaries in the NFL when factoring in safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye.

Right now, Gang Green is thin at the position, though, meaning they are likely to re-sign Claiborne and add a corner. There are a handful of options on the free agent market, but Kansas City might have an alternative via trade.

With veteran David Amerson joining the Chiefs and Kendall Fuller coming over in the Alex Smith deal, could Pro Bowler Marcus Peters be available in a trade? That’s what Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk is wondering following KC’s added depth at the cornerback position.

If that’s the case, the Jets would be wise to pick up the phone and dial an 816 area code.

Peters, just 25 years old, is three years into his rookie deal. With another two seasons of team control, he is the type of player that’s worth parting with significant assets for. While the Jets shouldn’t sell the farm for Peters, they do have chips to work with, including two second-rounders.

The 2015 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, Peters has racked up 19 interceptions, 55 passes defended, five forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries, three touchdowns and 151 tackles in his career. He’s started at least 14 games every season and was a First-Team All-Pro in 2016.

Take into consideration Peters’ $1.74 million base salary in 2018, and it will be hard for any team to find a cornerback as talented and affordable as Peters, even if he does cost draft capital. His cap hit in 2018 will be just over $3 million with an equal amount of dead money, according to Spotrac. Whoever he plays for will have to make a decision on his fifth-year option in early May, according to Florio.

All those positives aside, there is a reason why the Chiefs would potentially want to get rid of Peters besides depth.

As Florio points out, Peters has not always been the easiest to work with in Kansas City.

Peters has become one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but Peters has at times been a bit of a handful for the Chiefs. The situation came to a head last season, when he seemed to try to get himself ejected, then seemed to assume he was ejected when he wasn’t, then returned to the sidelines with his uniform on and socks off, showing no intent to return to action.

The incident, along with an argument with a coach, got Peters suspended for a game. For the Chiefs, it quietly may have been the last straw.

That said, the Jets have tolerated players with worse track records and less talent than Peters, including at the cornerback position. While Todd Bowles and company have worked hard to improve New York’s culture, the potential threat of Peters hurting that effort is not substantial enough for the Jets to pass on a player of his caliber.

He’s a guy that can transform a secondary, will come cheaper than any impact free agent and one who fits with New York’s youth movement.

If the Chiefs do indeed put him on the block, the Jets should be there waiting with an offer.

I think the Jets should sign him. If he pulls that sh*t with the sox, Bowles will just tell him, "Marcus if I go get your sox, will you please play?"

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Trade KC Mo Wilk and a 3rd round pick. :eek:

He’d have to be willing to restructure his contract .. unless KC is content with paying 17-18 million next year.

But I would love for this to happen.

2 hours ago, kelly said:

dear patriot k., hi !... thank you ! ! !.. if i could post the article,.. i would  :wub:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Then you should not start the topic 

but like the selfish kid you are, you have to be first, even if you break the rules.  

You are what’s wrong today, you think rules don’t apply to you. 

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’d have to be willing to restructure his contract .. unless KC is content with paying 17-18 million next year.

But I would love for this to happen.

Mo Wilk lives a few miles from me in a neighborhood where a friend of mine lives he's pretty comfortable in his environment walking his dog, shopping and eating locally. My guess is in a perfect world he signs with the Eagles or the Giants when cut. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Here lemme save the day.

The Jets need a cornerback. The Chiefs may have just the guy.

Even if New York re-signs Morris Claiborne, there is still work to be done at the position. With an established defensive back on the opposite side of Claiborne, the Jets would have one the best secondaries in the NFL when factoring in safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye.

Right now, Gang Green is thin at the position, though, meaning they are likely to re-sign Claiborne and add a corner. There are a handful of options on the free agent market, but Kansas City might have an alternative via trade.

With veteran David Amerson joining the Chiefs and Kendall Fuller coming over in the Alex Smith deal, could Pro Bowler Marcus Peters be available in a trade? That’s what Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk is wondering following KC’s added depth at the cornerback position.

If that’s the case, the Jets would be wise to pick up the phone and dial an 816 area code.

Peters, just 25 years old, is three years into his rookie deal. With another two seasons of team control, he is the type of player that’s worth parting with significant assets for. While the Jets shouldn’t sell the farm for Peters, they do have chips to work with, including two second-rounders.

The 2015 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, Peters has racked up 19 interceptions, 55 passes defended, five forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries, three touchdowns and 151 tackles in his career. He’s started at least 14 games every season and was a First-Team All-Pro in 2016.

Take into consideration Peters’ $1.74 million base salary in 2018, and it will be hard for any team to find a cornerback as talented and affordable as Peters, even if he does cost draft capital. His cap hit in 2018 will be just over $3 million with an equal amount of dead money, according to Spotrac. Whoever he plays for will have to make a decision on his fifth-year option in early May, according to Florio.

All those positives aside, there is a reason why the Chiefs would potentially want to get rid of Peters besides depth.

As Florio points out, Peters has not always been the easiest to work with in Kansas City.

Peters has become one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but Peters has at times been a bit of a handful for the Chiefs. The situation came to a head last season, when he seemed to try to get himself ejected, then seemed to assume he was ejected when he wasn’t, then returned to the sidelines with his uniform on and socks off, showing no intent to return to action.

The incident, along with an argument with a coach, got Peters suspended for a game. For the Chiefs, it quietly may have been the last straw.

That said, the Jets have tolerated players with worse track records and less talent than Peters, including at the cornerback position. While Todd Bowles and company have worked hard to improve New York’s culture, the potential threat of Peters hurting that effort is not substantial enough for the Jets to pass on a player of his caliber.

He’s a guy that can transform a secondary, will come cheaper than any impact free agent and one who fits with New York’s youth movement.

If the Chiefs do indeed put him on the block, the Jets should be there waiting with an offer.

Marcus Peters was the reason behind this pic (which I'm getting way more mileage from than I ever expected)

JewishKidsCatchFlagFromMarcusPetersAfterMeltdownJetsChiefs.jpg

As tempting as Marcus Peters is I'd rather sign a FA CB rather than give up assets (draft choices) to get one. He's all pro but there's a HUGE reason that he'd be available.

Depends if he can be part of a playoff team in 2018-19.  If the Jets sign Cousins, probably worth on the second second.  

If the Jets are drafting a QB and going with a lesser FA QB, I don't think he is worth the draft pick, but I can see MacBowles thinking he is.  

10 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

I'd steer clear. His attitude is a no go for me.

The nice guys Mac has gotten sure have done  us good. Hey, he isn’t a drug addict or a violent guy. Screw it. Antics don’t bother me.

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Can we sort out the QB position first 

It’s a done deal. Mac will resign McClown once his pinky has healed and he’s able to drink tea.  He’s the QB for 2018 regardless of who Mac drafts, who, according to Bowles, won’t be ready until 2020. Maybe. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Peters is buddy buddy with Skittles, who I like as a player but I can’t help to think those mentalities don’t do much good on an 5-6-7-8 win team. Lynch’s antics were no problem when Seattle was ballin. Him and Peters are one in the same.

20 hours ago, Jetster said:

Our 2nd rounder at 37 would be a no brainer. Love to see him with Adams & Maye. 

agreed !.. that would be just 2 cool  :pimp:

:wine:

I'm fully confident that out Head Coach can keep a possible character issue in line and that he will play brilliantly for us.

coach aside if the cost was not too dear he is a very very good player.

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i just noticed (if i am reading this right) the jets will save 4m by cutting powell...

Yep.  The Powell and Ijalana deals were real headscratchers.  They both were allowed to test free agency, found no takers and came back on cheap one year deals.  Without showing anything particularly great the team then reupped them for actual money.  I am not sure why.  

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i just noticed (if i am reading this right) the jets will save 4m by cutting powell...

i think he'll be with us for at least one more season..

:wine:

22 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Then you should not start the topic 

but like the selfish kid you are, you have to be first, even if you break the rules.  

You are what’s wrong today, you think rules don’t apply to you. 

clueless-gif.gif