Kelly Dept.: Kelly posts links to articles and Big Bang Theory gifs here ~~~

kelly

— Spend five minutes talking to Jordan Jenkins, and you'd have no idea he's a ferocious linebacker in the NFL. A player whose job it is to inflict physical pain on another human.See, off the field, Jenkins is a bubbly, jovial, southern boy who got yelled at by a waitress for being too polite and calling her "ma'am" — Yes, that happened. 

So how the heck does he make the transition to brutal backer on game days? By slamming into things, of course! "I get pretty geeked out and start headbutting stuff," Jenkins told NJ Advance Media. "Sometimes with my helmet on, other times with it off. When I was at Georgia, my teammates would stay away from me." 

Jenkins' pre-game ritual has been the same as long as he can remember. He sits by his locker, puts on his headphones and listens to heavy metal. A little Disturbed and a bit of Korn will put him in the right mindset. He will then start hitting, punching and headbutting anything in sight — within reason. He won't slam his head into the wall or anything that will result in an injury.

By the end, Jenkins says he becomes an "a-hole." 

"I'm honestly a really nice guy who is quiet and likes to keep to himself," Jenkins said. "When I'm not playing, I like to relax. But once I get on that field, I change. I'm trying to take your damn head off. I need to get gassed up to get into that mindset." Jenkins, a rookie from Georgia, has impressed the Jets' coaches enough he has been named the starting outside linebacker. For a first- or second-round pick, that's not uncommon. But for a player taken in the third round, it is a nice accomplishment. Most players in Jenkins' position are viewed as projects who need two or three years to develop. 

Jenkins' willingness to do the dirty work (eat up blocks, clog running lanes) have put him on the fast track to a starting position. In two preseason games, Jenkins looks like he belongs. He has four tackles and several bone-crushing hits . Against the Jaguars a week ago, he rocked running back Chris Ivory. Against Washington on Friday, he slammed into quarterback Colt McCoy twice."When I first lined up, I was a little nervous," Jenkins said. "But after a few plays, I was just like, 'OK. I can go to battle with these cats.' I just had to get a feel for it and feel my way into everything. 

"I wasn't too surprised with anything because the people I go against each day in practice. I never felt out of place. I just need to get more accustomed to it and play balls to the wall."And as for the head-smashing? Well, all inanimate objects in the Jets' locker room should be worried. 

"I'm scouting potential targets," Jenkins said, laughing. 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/how_does_jets_lb_jordan_jenkins_get_ready_for_a_ga.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breno Giacomini made a cameo appearance at Jets practice Sunday. But it was without shoulder pads and a helmet. The veteran offensive right tackle, still on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list with a bad back, was there only to watch. And he won’t be coming off that list soon, either, Jets coach Todd Bowles said.

“He’s getting better, but not this week,” Bowles said, when asked of the 30-year-old’s status.

Giacomini is coming off a subpar season in which Pro Football Focus graded him as the 64th tackle in the NFL out of 77. He has been a mainstay on the right side of the Jets’ offensive line since signing as a free agent in March 2014, starting all 32 games for Gang Green. That streak may be in jeopardy, however, with a back injury that has cost him all of training camp. Ben Ijalana and Brent Qvale have seen first-team reps in his place.

Giacomini won’t play Saturday against the Giants, and could very well miss the final exhibition game Sept. 1 against the Eagles, too. However, that wouldn’t mean he couldn’t be active for the regular-season opener against the Bengals on Sept. 11.

“It doesn’t preclude him,” Bowles said.

>       http://nypost.com/2016/08/22/jets-may-start-season-without-this-familiar-face-on-o-line/

Jets RT Breno Giacomini (back, active/PUP) has yet to return to practice.

Giacomini has not seen any work in training camp, and it does not sound like he is particularly close to a return. "He’s getting better," coach Todd Bowles said, "but not this week." It does not sound like Giacomini is a lock to be ready for Week 1, which would be a disaster for one of the thinnest offensive lines in the league. Ben Ijalana and Brent Qvale have worked with the first-team during camp.

Darron Lee  is the Jets' first-round draft pick and an engaging young man, so it figures that nicknames would flow freely to him.

Such as "Pup," which is what Lee says fellow inside linebacker  Erin Henderson  calls him, as in "Pup, carry my shoulder pads."

Such as "Little Dog," which is what DE  Sheldon Richardson  calls him in part for his program weight of 232 pounds.

After today's training camp practice, a few more names may accrue, such as "Deuce" or "Double-D." That's because after Lee turned in his second interception of the afternoon, he gave his winning smile and stuck two fingers in the air to signify the event.

Afterward, though, Lee was his humble self again when talking to reporters.

"Yeah, I think it would help anybody's confidence," he said of his two-pick performance. "But like I said, I'm just out there practicing hard, trying to get better."

Lee has his 2nd red zone INT - this one comes in the end zone. Petty was trying to get one in to Sudfeld.

He's got some fine mentors with him on the inside, such as 10th-year MLB  David Harris  and Henderson, the eighth-year player who came to the Jets last year and stepped up to the first unit with the  free  agency departure of Demario Davis."I've learned a lot" from Harris — how to be a pro, how to have longevity in this league," he said. "I've learned a lot of things he knows, just picking his brain, his knowledge of the  game . There's stuff that's like, wow, I would've never known that."And Henderson doesn't just hand his rack off to No. 50 to carry to the equipment team after a hot, sweaty day at  the office. "He's a great mentor to me," Lee said. "I'm always asking him  questions . It's just a great relationship. "

Some things Lee needs no mentor for, such as his 4.47-second speed, which he flashed a few times in flying to the ball last Friday against the Redskins and in dropping into coverage today to make his thefts against Ryan Fitzpatrick  and  Bryce Petty ."Yeah, he's going to contribute big-time," said Richardson. "I told him to be  patient  with it, it's all going to slow down eventually. ... The more you know the playbook in and out, the more it will slow down for you because you'll  start  to process the game of football and how they're attacking your defense."

Richardson admitted it's tough wrapping his  head  around the concept of "a little dog" woofing behind him."You're used to playing with Double-D [Davis, not Darron] at 250. Dave comes in 260, a little heavy, and loses and trims up before the season — he's 245 now. So just seeing little skinny guys back there, it's a little funny to me, that's all. But he's also effective, so I don't knock him for it. I just make fun of him a little bit."Lee can take it and it looks like he can give it. And however many nicknames and accolades he gets, he says it won't change his approach to the game.

"I'm not really a guy that's going to be satisfied," he said. "I always feel there's room for improvement. Take one good step, there'll be another eight more good steps, so you've got to keep working."

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Darron-Lees-a-Young-Man-of-Many-Handles/71452875-744d-4f49-a449-1f928b16c738

Despite slow starts for the first-team defense in both of the Jets’ preseason games,  David Harrisicon-article-link.gif  maintains the proper perspective as the Green & White’s 2016 training camp nears to its close.

“I think we’re going to be all right. I know people are saying we aren’t playing well because of the first two preseason games, but we don’t scout and we don’t watch any film,” he said after Monday’s practice.  “We don’t do any preparation for the other team. We go out there and play very vanilla, basic calls. I think once we get into the season, we’re going to do good things.”

Harris, who has totaled 10 tackles (8 solo) along with a sack and a QB hurry this summer, says head coach Todd Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers have kept things close to the vest. But that will change just a bit when the Jets host the Giants Saturday Night at MetLife Stadium.“We play very vanilla defense in the preseason. The coaches are more focused on seeing guys play more technique and do the basics of the overall scheme of the defense,” he said. “We had a good test for a couple of weeks, but this game with the Giants will be a better test of where we are at. We do watch film before this game and we do a little bit of game-planning. We approach it as almost a regular season game even though it’s the preseason. It’s a good measuring stick for us.”

The 32-year-old Harris, who is finishing his 10th training camp with the Jets, needs 85 tackles to pass Mo Lewis into second place on the franchise’s all-time list.“Consistency. It’s ridiculous,” said assistant head coach/inside linebackers coach Mike Caldwell of Harris. “I always say, ‘Dave is Dave.’ Dave is going to go out there, he’s going to work hard and he doesn’t take anything for granted. He has a standard that he wants to play at, and he goes out there every day and he works to meet that standard. What you see Dave do, you see it over and over and over. Consistency should be his middle name.”

The Jets couldn’t ask for better mentors for rookie  Darron Leeicon-article-link.gif  than Harris and fellow veteran Erin Hendersonicon-article-link.gif . After Henderson suffered a stinger Friday night in Washington, Lee has been working alongside Harris at the “Mo” position with the first team.“He has a rookie learning curve just like we all had, but he’s starting to turn the corner,” Harris said of Lee. “Today he had a real big day with two picks in the red zone. He adds another dimension to our defense.”

That dimension of course is speed and Harris says Lee can run all day. But the first-round pick, selected No. 20 overall out of Ohio State, is making a significant transition.“It’s more the basics and fundamentals and reactions. The game is faster here, people react quicker,” Harris said. “Everybody has their own little tricks and niches that they use to get the job done. He has to work on his hands more because guys at this level people are too good to put a shoulder in on somebody and think that’s going to be enough.”

While Lee continues to make strides with Harris, the latter has also enjoyed working with Henderson.“Erin has had a great camp. He brings a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of energy to practice,” Harris said of the eight-year pro. “We play well off of each other. He’s a veteran and he’s seen it all just like I have. He doesn’t get rattled out there. He’s just a steady player that we need on this defense.”

Everything will start up front for the Jets as Harris believes that  Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif  will be a force and Sheldon Richardsonicon-article-link.gif  is one of the better three-techniques in football. He also talked about a Pro Bowl performer in  Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif , who is receiving more reps in team drills, and he labeled newcomer Steve McLendonicon-article-link.gif  as “ox strong”. Once they start running games up front, they’ll be tough to block and Harris and company can clean up from there. The heart of the Jets defense thinks good things are ahead and he is looking forward to the clash with the Giants.

“We do want to go out there and start fast and be a little bit more crisp and sharp,” he said. “We want to be able to stop the run better, play tighter coverage and put pressure on the quarterback. Hopefully we can get that done this game and it will be a good test. It’s the inner city rivalry and it’s always the most fun preseason game.  The crowd on both sides are into it. It’s a good atmosphere.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Harris-Were-Going-to-Do-Good-Things/36e4c3bb-042d-43a7-91ae-20b215f6595f

~ ~  What's hot : A few injuries bear watching: Wide receiver Quincy Enunwa(concussion), linebacker Jordan Jenkins (calf) and tight end Jace Amaro(groin). Enunwa did radio interviews on Tuesday, so he apparently is progressing well. Jenkins left practice on Monday and didn't return. The rookie needs as many practice reps as possible, so any significant layoff would impede his progress as a potential starter.

He's trying to claimCalvin Pace's old position in the base defense. Speaking of Pace, he's still not ready to retire. At 35, he wants to continue playing and he'd love an opportunity to return to the Jets, I'm told. It's unclear if the team has interest in a reunion. The Jets overhauled their linebacking corps with youth and speed, so he probably doesn't fit the profile. On the other hand, he's a savvy vet who can recite the playbook in his sleep. As for Amaro, he's fighting for a roster spot and can't afford to miss any time.

rest of above article  : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62416/if-jets-get-into-a-pinch-at-linebacker-they-can-call-old-friend-calvin-pace

Right tackle Breno Giacomini was probably the Jets' least effective offensive lineman last season.But that didn't mean they necessarily wanted to replace him. After all, the Jets' line depth was — and is — woefully inexperienced. 

With the Sept. 11 regular season opener fast approaching, Giacomini remains on the physically unable to perform list, with a back injury. He hasn't practiced yet in training camp. He doesn't appear ready to soon return.Though Jets coach Todd Bowles said he's still holding out hope that Giacomini can be available for Week 1, the Jets are preparing to start Ben Ijalana or Brent Qvale at right tackle, in the event that Giacomini is still ailing. 

It appears Ijalana is the leading contender for the replacement spot. If he starts in Week 1 against the Bengals, it would be a long time coming for Ijalana."It's definitely fulfilling," he told NJ Advance Media this week. "You might never get the opportunity. It's definitely cool to savor and take the opportunity, because you never know. Everybody has different paths, so you just can't be discouraged. As long as you're in, you always have a chance. 

"I'm just really happy they trust me. I'm happy I've been able to do well, and do what I thought I was always able to do." 

Ijalana said he's "pretty confident" in his ability to be the Jets' Week 1 starting right tackle, if he needs to step in."I've been doing well so far," he said of his 2016 training camp. "It's a good sample for myself and for others."Ijalana, a 27-year-old who grew up in Burlington County, has played in just seven games since the Colts drafted him in Round 2 in 2011. He has never started. He played in four games for the Colts in 2011, before tearing his ACL. Ijalana also missed the entire 2012 season with a torn ACL. 

The Jets claimed him off waivers just before the 2013 season. Ijalana then spent three seasons backing up left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who retired this offseason and was replaced, via trade, by Ryan Clady.Ijalana has played in three games for the Jets, all in 2014. This offseason, he re-signed with them — a one-year, $840,000 contract. 

Through his time as Ferguson's understudy, Ijalana tried to maintain confidence, though he knew he likely would never play, because Ferguson was so durable. "Just a humbling process," he said. "A lot of time waiting, a lot of time watching. I didn't perform poorly [in practice]. I was still performing well — at least I thought so, to my standards. It's not like I was playing bad and I was sulking. I knew I was doing well. I just understood things are what they are." 

With Giacomini sidelined, Ijalana had to play right tackle for the first time since his rookie year, when he got very little action there. "Me personally, it's a different position," Ijalana said of right tackle. "The assignments are the same, but it's a different position. My body feels different. Think about hundreds and thousands of reps I've probably taken on the left side, where there's not much thought about it. But now, I had to just work motor skills and relearn. It's tough, but that's why we have practice." 

During his three seasons as Ferguson's backup, Ijalana picked up many tips from Ferguson about how to stay healthy and available — stretch, hydrate, eat well, and go to sleep early. The last one is something Ijalana overlooked as a young player.Ferguson showed him the benefits of being "a big sleep guy," Ijalana said. Ijalana still recalls those nights at the team hotel when Ferguson would just get up during a group gathering and walk toward his room.

"I'll see you guys," Ferguson would say. His teammates would look at him curiously. 

"You're already going to bed?" they'd ask. That's how Ijalana learned to be a pro, by watching the little things Ferguson did."It's something as simple as that — go to bed early, get the proper amount of sleep," Ijalana said. Now, during preseason practices, Ijalana is in bed by 10:15 p.m. and up at 6:30 a.m., ready to seize his long-awaited chance. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/with_jets_breno_giacomini_hurt_can_ben_ijalana_sei.html#incart_river_index

In some ways,  Mike Catapano  is approaching Saturday's 48th annual Jets-Giants preseason game just like a lot of fans of the green and the blue.

"I grew up in New York, so I know it's a special game," said Catapano, a native of Bayville, NY, not far from the Jets' old Hofstra headquarters, who starred at Princeton. "But for us, it's just another opportunity to get better."

Yet playing the Giants means more to him than Weeb Ewbank's braggin' rights. It was last Dec. 6, against the other team that shares MetLife Stadium with the Jets, when Catapano suffered a serious foot injury."For me, it's a little emotional. That was the last game I played in before I got hurt," he told me after the last practice of training camp earlier this week. "It was a long recovery. It took a long time to get my feet back under me."

Catapano came to the Jets from the Chiefs via waivers early last season with the scouting report of having a great motor and some pass-rush skills. He'd been on the practice squad until playing a few plays at Houston, then a lot of plays against Miami. Came the Giants and he notched his first sack as well as his first special-teams tackle as a Jet ... and landed on injured reserve.Besides the rehab, we can add to Catapano's story his transition from defensive end to outside linebacker, which he began by studying the playbook this spring while teammates were practicing during OTAs and minicamp. He cut his weight from almost 290 to under 270 and has returned full-time to playing defense out of a two-point stance.

"I think this is a more natural fit for me," he said. "I think this defense is perfect for what I do. I'm just trying to get better and more comfortable in it every day, and Coach [Mark] Collins has really helped me with that."Consider that third-round rookie  Jordan Jenkins  has been playing with the first defense on the strong outside but on Monday Jenkins injured his calf. If he's limited or out Saturday, it'll be next man up and Catapano could get an extended look to state his case for a roster spot and more OLB reps.

No matter the opponent or the opportunity, Catapano is an intense, take-no-prisoners kind of guy.

"I go into every game the same way, like it's the last game I'll ever play, like it's war, like it's all or nothing," he said. "That's just how I play. So you'll see me going a million miles an hour no matter who we playing."And to think the next game is against the Giants. As Catapano said, this one is special.

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Giants-Loom-Large-for-Mike-Catapano/9d968741-cd4f-45ca-8c6e-1a4185635af3

-- When the kids are put to bed and it's quiet time at the Mangold household, New York Jets center Nick Mangold will park himself on the sofa and slip into a comfortable pair of electronic boots.

Let the healing begin.

Mangold's 32-year-old legs have accumulated a lot of mileage over 10 seasons in the NFL trenches -- we're talking about 10,000 plays -- and he's always looking for ways to help the recovery process. His new toy: NormaTec compression boots, a waist-to-toe contraption that increases blood circulation in the legs.

"My wife is pretty sick of them by now because I'll be sitting on the couch and it's like --," said Mangold, impersonating a motorized humming sound."It adds extra recovery, and it's something I can get done at home without having to do a cold tub," he added. "That's hard to pull off at home with a bunch of ice and everything. This is something you just plug in."They're actually quite popular at One Jets Drive, where players are quick to seek out the NormaTec boots in the trainer's room.

Tight end Zach Sudfeld uses them for 20 to 30 minutes before practice, saying, "You lay down, relax and take your mind off things -- and let the boots do their work."Mangold is coming off the most physically demanding season of his career. He missed nearly two full games with a neck injury and he left another game early because of a significant gash on his right hand. He acknowledged it took longer than usual for his body to heal after the season.His workload was reduced in the offseason and last week he received the equivalent of a training-camp vacation -- no practice and a night off last Friday against the Washington Redskins. Coach Todd Bowles recognizes he has an older roster, and he's mindful of giving rest to his key veterans.

"I don't know if I have to do it, but I appreciate the opportunity [to rest]," Mangold said. "The season is long and the wear-and-tear is real."

The upside is that it affords younger players an opportunity to gain experience, albeit preseason experience. In Mangold's case, it created playing time forWesley Johnson and Dakota Dozier. There could be long-term benefits. If Mangold gets hurt during the season, the Jets won't have to make a desperation move to replace him.The occasional R & R appears to be helping. Mangold said he reported to training camp feeling "the best I've ever felt. And I feel great right now, too. Typically, after a few weeks, you can't say that."

Maybe it's the compression boots. As Forrest Gump might say, "Magic legs."

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62438/jets-c-nick-mangold-feels-great-thanks-to-science-and-magic-legs

-- For the first time in 11 years, the New York Jets will open the season with a new left tackle, Ryan Clady. Barring a miracle, they'll have a new right tackle, too, because incumbent Breno Giacomini still is battling a back problem.

Coach Todd Bowles acknowledged for the first time that Giacomini may not be ready for the Sept. 11 opener against the Cincinnati Bengals."I have no idea," Bowles said on Thursday. "It's getting close and he hasn't done anything."

Giacomini was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list at the start of training camp and still isn't practicing. With only six practices remaining before the opener, Giacomini is a long shot. By his own estimation, he's at "80-percent speed." On Wednesday, he was able to get into a three-point stance and practice basic blocks against air.

"It's not where I need to be to be on the field," said Giacomini, speaking to reporters for the first time since the injury.

Giacomini called it a lower-back injury, saying the worst pain occurred over the July 4 weekend. He didn't say how it happened, but it apparently occurred while he was lifting weights. He said it's not a disc-related issue, although sources described it as more than a strain. He declined to comment when asked if he has received epidural injections.

This is a concern for the Jets.

The in-house options are Ben Ijalana and Brent Qvale, neither of whom has started an NFL game. They've been rotating throughout the preseason, trying to win the trust of the coaches."They've been going back and forth," Bowles said. "This game [on Saturday] will be big. [The Giants] have two premier defensive ends over there. It'll be good to see them against those type of people."

Bowles also confirmed they're exploring options outside the organization. Aside from the quarterback situation, the right-tackle search will be one of the main storylines as teams cut their rosters over the next 10 days."We'll consider it," Bowles said of outside help. "We've talked about it and we'll continue to talk about it. We'll see how [Ijalana and Qvale] come along and see if we're going to add anybody."

One team to watch is the San Francisco 49ers, who have two experienced right tackles -- Trent Brown and Anthony Davis. A former first-round pick, Davis has 71 career starts, but he's working behind Brown after returning to the team following a one-year "retirement." The 49ers are giving Davis a chance to play right guard, so maybe he won't be expendable.Any decision will be based, in large part, on Giacomini's prognosis. Initially, it was projected as a six- to eight-week injury. He just passed the eight-week mark, so he may not be far away from returning. The question is, do they carry him on the 53-man roster or place him on regular-season PUP, meaning he'd have to miss a minimum of six games.

"Is it a possibility? Probably," Giacomini said. "It's something I don't want, but that's something I can't control."Right now, I'm considered day-to-day," he said. "I don't know when I'll be back, but I'm progressing."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62481/breno-giacomini-likely-to-miss-opener-jets-seek-help-at-right-tackle

Veteran RT Breno Giacominiicon-article-link.gif remains on the PUP list with a back injury and there is a possibility he might not be ready for the start of the regular season.“I honestly have no idea,” said head coach Todd Bowles today when asked if Giacomini will be ready for September game action. “It’s getting close and he’s not practicing yet, so we’ll see.”

Giacomini told reporters today that his lower back got tight in minicamp and it’s been that way ever since. He insists though that he is making progress in his recovery.“I’m day-to-day right now. Every day I keep getting better,” he said. “I want to be back like yesterday, I really do. I hate missing any of this, but it’s part of the game. We just have to deal with it and keep taking the right steps forward, and I believe that’s what we’re doing.”In two seasons with the Jets, the 6’7”, 318-pound Giacomini has started all 32 regular season contests. Both Brent Qvaleicon-article-link.gif and Ben Ijalanaicon-article-link.gif have worked with the first-team offense during Giacomini’s absence.

“You’re kind of worried about that every day, no one is safe in this business,” Giacomini said of his status. “But it presents opportunities for these younger guys like Qvale and Ben to step up. To be a part of that room and to know those guys, that’s a good feeling to see those guys go out there and produce. That being said, it pushes me harder too — I don’t want to lose my job. But it’s exciting to see how the guys step up and get the job done. That’s part of being a teammate, but I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

Saturday’s game could mark the last extended action of the summer for both Qvale and Ijalana. The Giants will present some challenges on the outside with the likes of Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon rushing from the edge.“They’ve been going back and forth, so this game will be big,” said Bowles. “They’ve got two premier defensive ends over there, so it will be good to see them against those types of people.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/No-Timetable-Set-for-Giacominis-Return/bde32ee3-afd2-479d-bad1-50fed70526dd

— Erin Henderson is no stranger to the NFL. Now in his eighth year, the Jets linebacker has a pretty good idea of how things work. 

He knows this is a business. One where you can be the star at breakfast, and an afterthought by dinner. And that's why Henderson isn't even slightly surprised he lost first-team practice reps to rookie Darron Lee. He saw it coming."I didn't have a great first preseason game," Henderson told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday. "I let a door open up. I let a crack open up. This is what happens when you do." 

When the Jets began training camp in late July, Henderson was the defense's unquestioned starting weak side middle linebacker — David Harris plays the strong side. Henderson got every first-team rep in the base and nickel package. Short yardage or passing situation? It didn't matter. No. 58 was always out there on the field. 

Well, up until the preseason opener against the Jaguars, that is. 

Per his own assessment, Henderson didn't have a good game. He played two series, didn't register a tackle, missed a few others and struggled in pass coverage. Lee, whom the Jets selected with the 20th pick in this year's draft, fared much better. He had four tackles, two tackles for a loss and a sack.

The very next Jets practice, Lee started to replace Henderson sporadically in team drills. "He's a first-round pick," Henderson said. "[The Jets] are going to give him different chances and different opportunities. Now it's a matter of me being a professional and doing my job. I need to come in here each day and perform like I know I'm capable of performing."Henderson played significantly better in the Jets' second preseason game against Washington. He was active at the line of scrimmage, and flew around the ball. He finished with four total tackles. He likely would have had more if he hadn't suffered a stinger in the second quarter. 

Lee replaced Henderson in the game, and in the two practices he missed while recovering. While Henderson returned to practice as a full participant on Wednesday and Thursday, he's still rotating with Lee. Could his starting job be entirely up for grabs? Maybe. But that's not on Henderson's mind. 

"I just need to go out there and take care of my business," Henderson said, "Everything will work itself out. That's all I can concern myself with." 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_erin_henderson_says_his_poor_play_let_a_door.html#incart_river_index

With the possibility looming that starting right tackle Breno Giacomini (lower back strain) might not be available for Week 1, the Jets will spend their final two preseason games determining if Ben Ijalana or Brent Qvale (or neither) can capably replace him. 

Jets coach Todd Bowles has left open the possibility that the Jets could acquire a right tackle — probably via a waiver claim after final cuts — depending on how things work out with Ijalana and Qvale.But before final cuts next weekend, the Jets play the Giants on Saturday and theEagles on Thursday — two more chances for Ijalana and Qvale to audition.Both Ijalana and Qvale are unproven. In five NFL seasons, Ijalana has played in seven games, with zero starts. In the past four years, he has played in just three games, all in 2014. The Jets signed Qvale — whose last name is pronounced"KWAH-lee" — as an undrafted rookie in 2014. He has played in 16 games, all last season, and all as a backup. 

Bowles said he expects Ijalana and Qvale to again rotate series with the starters against the Giants. This is the last game in which starters will play, so it is an important showcase opportunity for Ijalana and Qvale, as they face Giants defensive ends Olivier Vernon and Jason Pierre-Paul. While Ijalana is a former second-round draft pick who hasn't panned out so far, Qvale is an under-the-radar player who found a home with the Jets last year as their sixth offensive lineman, when they went to a "heavy" formation, with an extra tackle. But there's a big difference between that and starting at right tackle. 

Qvale was strictly a left tackle at Nebraska, but has mostly played right tackle in the NFL, while working at guard in practice to prove his versatility and improve his value. Since Giacomini got hurt in June, Qvale has been locked in at right tackle. Qvale, for one, never expected Giacomini to miss this much time. 

"When he did it, I was like, 'Oh, Breno is a tough guy. He's been in the NFL a long time,'" Qvale told NJ Advance Media. "I was really shocked that it was taking this long. Obviously, you never want anyone to get hurt. But at the same time, it's a big chance for Ben and myself. This is going to be a big test for us [on Saturday]."Qvale is neither surprised nor offended that Bowles openly acknowledged a potential outside search for a right tackle. 

"I'm sure they're always looking," Qvale said. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/brent_qvale_or_ben_ijalana_who_is_better_replaceme.html#incart_river_index

— Arguably the most important storyline of Jets training camp may also be the one least talked about. 

Young receivers Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake have been a fun follow, but neither will have a prominent role on Sundays. To keep, or not to keep, four quarterbacks is gold for a heated debate, but neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg will see the field come Sept 11. But          the health of starting right tackle Breno Giacomini? The uncertainty of his replacement? That could put an awfully big damper on the Jets' high hopes for 2016. Which is why the Jets have considered adding an offensive tackle.  

"We have talked about it," coach Todd Bowles said Thursday.

Giacomini has started for the Jets since they signed him before the 2014 season, but he struggled last year. Yet the Jets planned to stick him this season.But in June minicamp, Giacomini injured his lower back. The Jets placed him on the physically unable to perform list to start training camp. He's still there today. Giacomini hasn't practiced all summer, and said Thursday he doesn't know when he will be back. 

In his place, Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana have been splitting first-team reps. The two have looked OK in training camp and preseason games, but there's a big difference between exhibition games and the regular season. Ijalana has appeared in just seven games in his five NFL seasons. Qvale has started just one game since signing with the Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2014.

Throughout the summer, Bowles has expressed optimism that he expects Giacomini to be back by Week 1. On Thursday, the coach had a bit more of a pessimistic tone. 

"I honestly have no idea," Bowles said. "It's getting close, and he's not practicing. We'll see."

When asked what Giacomini can't do physically, Bowles responded: "He can't practice."Going into Week 1 with just Ijalana and Qvale is a bit risky for the Jets. Sure, there's a chance the two could fill in fine for Giacomini. But that's an awfully big gamble at such a valuable position. Ideally, you'd think the Jets would like to add a proven veteran.

The issue ? 

There are very few replacement options.Anthony Davis was a trade possibility a couple weeks ago, but San Francisco seems content to keep him now. On the free agent market, there's Jake Long, Will Beatty (former Giant), Khalif Barnes and Jamon Meredith, among others. Barnes and Meredith aren't much of an improvement (if at all) over Ijalana and Qvale, while Long and Beatty have significant health concerns. Beatty missed all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle, and Long hasn't played a full 16-game season since 2010. 

So what are the Jets to do? About the only thing they can do: Wish Giacomini gets healthy, hope Ijalana and Qvale perform well to finish August, and then scrounge the waiver wire or free agent pool for help after final cut-down day, on Sept. 3.Even then, that would leave precious little time for the new tackle to learn the Jets' offense. 

"We'll continue to talk about it," Bowles said, "and see if we want to add anybody." 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_talked_about_adding_a_right_tackle_what_optio.html#incart_river_index

Definitely need an infusion of young talent. Lots of young players, but we have no clue if they are any good at all.

What I do like is that Mac recognizes that this is an issue since he tried to trade for Tunsil. I expect OL to be addressed this year early (1st or 2nd).

On the second unit, rookie Brandon Shell got one drive against Vernon because the Giants starters stayed in the game for longer than the Jets' did and managed to do a good job on him on two protections. Overall, Shell held up really well in protection until right at the end of the game where he was badly beaten on consecutive plays for a hit and a pressure that caused a Hackenberg fumble. Shell had mixed results in the running game, but has been quietly impressive on the whole.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/bga-christian-seeks-to-prove-he-can-hack-it/198135424

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, jcass10 said:

Definitely need an infusion of young talent. Lots of young players, but we have no clue if they are any good at all.

What I do like is that Mac recognizes that this is an issue since he tried to trade for Tunsil. I expect OL to be addressed this year early (1st or 2nd).

Or maybe a smart GM realized that one of the top players in the draft was dropping and tried to steal him  .  If the Jets wanted Tunsil as badly as some may believe, he would be a Jet today .

The New York Jets must cut their roster to 75 by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday and to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday. Here’s a final 53-man roster projection :

~ ~  OFFENSIVE LINE (9) : Ryan Clady, James Carpenter, Nick Mangold, Brian Winters, Brent Qvale, Ben Ijalana, Wesley Johnson, Dakota Dozier, Brandon Shell

Right tackle Breno Giacomini (back) isn't close to being game-ready, so it makes sense to keep him on the PUP list, shelving him for six games. Qvale has started the last two games at Giacomini's spot, so he has the edge over Ijalana, who also backs up Clady. Don't be surprised if they pick up a veteran tackle in the coming days, but the chances of finding a starting-caliber player are remote. This will be a redshirt year for Shell, a fifth-round pick.

rest of above article :

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62578/jets-solve-qb-riddle-by-keeping-four-in-53-man-roster-projection

The New York Jets must cut their roster to 75 by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday and to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday. Here’s a final 53-man roster projection :

~ ~ LINEBACKER (9) : David Harris, Erin Henderson, Lorenzo Mauldin, Mike Catapano, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Bruce Carter, Julian Stanford, Josh Martin

The coaches went into camp hoping two of the young outside linebackers would separate from the crowd, but that hasn't happened. Jenkins missed a week with a calf injury, and Mauldin encountered a bumpy road on his way to becoming an every-down player. As a result, you'll probably see a committee approach, with Catapano working his way into the mix. Lee, their first-round pick, will play a lot in sub packages and could replace Henderson in the base at times. Carter, Stanford and Martin are core special-teamers, but Martin could be affected by an ankle injury; he was on crutches after Saturday's game. The odd men out are Trevor Reilly and Freddie Bishop.

rest of above article :

> http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62578/jets-solve-qb-riddle-by-keeping-four-in-53-man-roster-projection

27 minutes ago, kelly said:

~ ~  OFFENSIVE LINE (9) : Ryan Clady, James Carpenter, Nick Mangold, Brian Winters, Brent Qvale, Ben Ijalana, Wesley Johnson, Dakota Dozier, Brandon Shell

Right tackle Breno Giacomini (back) isn't close to being game-ready, so it makes sense to keep him on the PUP list, shelving him for six games. Qvale has started the last two games at Giacomini's spot, so he has the edge over Ijalana, who also backs up Clady. Don't be surprised if they pick up a veteran tackle in the coming days, but the chances of finding a starting-caliber player are remote. This will be a redshirt year for Shell, a fifth-round pick.

rest of above article :

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62578/jets-solve-qb-riddle-by-keeping-four-in-53-man-roster-projection

No way they keep him is he can't contribute sooner rather than later.  Per Jason, his dead money is $1.25m and cap savings would be $4.375m if cut.  

New York Jets linebacker David Harris, who underwent an MRI on his injured right shoulder Sunday, is expected to be ready for the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.Harris was hurt in a pileup at the end of the second quarter Saturday night against the New York Giants. He left the stadium with his right arm in a sling, with coach Todd Bowles saying he wasn't certain of the severity.

It apparently is only a bruise -- a two-week injury, one source said.

The 32-year-old middle linebacker won't play in the final preseason game on Thursday against the Philadelphia Eagles, but he wouldn't have played anyway because Bowles is planning to rest most of his starters.The Jets haven't played without Harris since 2008, his second year in the NFL. He's one of the most durable players in the league and the quarterback of the Jets' defense -- "the glue," according to Bowles.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17411970/david-harris-new-york-jets-expected-ready-opener-undergoing-mri-injured-right-shoulder

The Jets have been in the process of refurbishing their linebacker corps. At OLB, Calvin Pace is gone, with rookie  Jordan Jenkins  and young vet  Mike Catapano  vying to replace him.  Lorenzo Mauldin  has moved in on the other side, bumping  Sheldon Richardson  back to fulltime on the D-line. Inside, Demario Davis departed, with Erin Henderson  and first-round pick  Darron Lee  stepping in.

The only remaining starter is old reliable  David Harris . And with his shoulder bruise, Harris may be forced to sit out the opener against the Bengals, which would mean four new starters across the LB board compared to last year's opener against the Browns.

Changes are in the works behind the front line as well, which is where  Julian Stanford  comes in. The third-year man had an outstanding second half on the inside and on special teams against the Giants on Saturday. Let's start with his last big play, a goal-line-stand-ending end zone pass breakup with 3:33 left."On that drive, the quarterback knew we were playing a lot of man, so they were running a lot of man-beaters," Stanford said, adding that on fourth down, "I knew it was going to be man-to-man so I knew he was going to try to beat us. He looked at the tight end, he stared him down, so I just broke on the ball.

"That's one of the best feelings," he said of his jarring breakup of Ryan Nassib's short toss to rookie TE Jerrell Adams. "I was more excited about just having the goal line-stand stopping them, though. I wasn't sure what was going to happen next." What followed was  Christian Hackenberg 's deflected interception and Nassib's quick return to the red zone, where he hit Tavarres King for the go-ahead TD pass to make it 21-20.

Still, Stanford's breakup was the crowning touch to a nice night. It began with his inside-the-20 tackle on the second-half kickoff. Then he had the tackle on the third-and-10 pass that was originally ruled a first down but upon head coach Todd Bowles' successful replay challenge was reversed to fourth-and-a-foot. He added an assisted tackle on a no-gain completion. Then he blitzed and hit Nassib as he was unloading a long ball. He had three tackles on the drive that ended with his PD.Stanford, who played his high school ball in Connecticut and his college ball at Wagner on Staten Island, has made the rounds as a pro. He started with the Jaguars as a free agent in 2012 and moved on to the Lions and Buccaneers before coming to the Jets practice squad last December. He's got a veteran's perspective on the final roster cutdown to 53 that looms less than a week away.

"This is nothing new to me. I've been a journeyman. So at this point in my career, I know what it is, so I'm not really too high," he said. "I'm kind of just mellow and I go with the flow."

Then the Wagner Seahawk in him came out when he admitted, "Of course, this would be great for me to stay here."

Stanford will next flow on down I-95 to Thursday night's final preseason game against the Eagles as he and the rest of the Jets' twos and threes and fours will get one last preseason chance to stick around on the Green & White.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Stanfords-Making-a-Case-for-Staying-Around/41efe6e3-1a33-430e-aa33-4f3d74b28fcf

New York Jets RT Breno Giacomini's status for Week 1 seems very much in doubt right now. The two players most likely to get the starting nod in his place are Ben Ijalana and Brent Qvale. Head coach Todd Bowles is not tipping his hand as to which of the two is more likely to play in the opener against the Cincinnati Bengals.

On how he would characterize the right tackle competition between Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana…
I think it’s even right now. I don’t have a clear-cut winner that’s going to take the spot right now if Breno (Giacomini) doesn’t play. We’ll see going into the Philadelphia game.

On how he’ll handle playing Qvale and Ijalana during the final preseason game when starters typically sit…
Since one of them hasn’t started before, they’re both going to play in the game and then we’re going to see.

The performance of the two players against the Philadelphia Eagles will be one of the key things to watch.

>      http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/8/30/12708212/todd-bowles-isnt-ready-to-name-the-jets-right-tackle

When it was suggested to Jets linebacker Mike Catapano that the word “survivor’’ might best encapsulate his football career — which, in the span of just three years, already has included two season-ending injuries and a stunning release by the team that drafted him — he politely interrupted in mid-sentence.“I think ‘fighter’ is better,’’ Catapano said. “ ‘Survivor’ sounds like you’re just trying to stay afloat. Fighting, that’s what I’m about. I just keep coming. Doesn’t matter what you throw at me, I just keep coming … like the movie, ‘The Terminator.’ ”

Catapano is not your cookie-cutter NFL player who entered the league drafted from a big college football program.He’s a local kid from Bayville on Long Island who played his high-school ball at Chaminade and grew up bleeding Jets green, idolizing Curtis Martin. He went to Princeton, not a football factory, and got drafted by the Chiefs in 2013.

During a phone call with The Post on Tuesday, Catapano’s father, Mike, recalled a day at the gym during his son’s sophomore year at Princeton when he tried to encourage his dreams, well aware players from Ivy League teams do not draw a lot of attention from NFL scouts.“Mike, you just get on the field, and once you do that, I know you’re going to prove yourself,’’ the dad told his son.

“Dad, I’m not just going to make a camp, I’m going to get [freaking] drafted,’’ the son told his dad.“Sometimes you have to set a goal that takes your breath away,’’ the elder Catapano said. “Once he puts something in his head and envisions it, he makes it happen.’’

Yet Catapano’s path to the NFL (and sticking once he got there) hardly has been a magic carpet ride. It has been littered with enough moments to make a lesser man question himself and quit.“My story shows that it’s not all smooth sailing, that you’re going to have tons of adversity — injuries, things not working out the way you want,’’ Catapano said. “I don’t think anyone works as hard as I do.’’

Three years that have included one season-ending concussion (2014 in Kansas City), one release (in 2015 by the Chiefs) and a season-ending foot injury late last year with the Jets. Now, Catapano is considered a key piece to a Jets defense that ranked fourth in the NFL last season.Catapano’s start in Saturday night’s preseason game against the Giants was a symbolic moment for him because it was against the Giants last Dec. 6 when he suffered a freak Lisfranc injury in his right foot and didn’t played again in 2015.“Of course, there are always moments of fear, always moments of … ‘is this going to work out?’ ” Catapano said. “You’re going to feel afraid. Courage is fighting against it, not feeling that fear.

“During those moments, I lean on my girlfriend Jenna [Redel], my parents [Mike and Barbara] and my sister, April. They are my rock.’’Catapano and Redel met three years ago in Kansas City, where she is from and was a Chiefs cheerleader.“I never recall a moment when he was at a low, because that’s just not who Mike is,’’ Redel said by phone. “He’s always confident in himself, always strong. But there were times when I could feel it even though it was not verbal.’’Everyone close to Catapano is hoping the roadblocks are behind him, that he can stay healthy and carry on with the NFL career he always has wanted.

In the midst of a transition from defensive end to outside linebacker and down from 290 pounds to 270, Catapano is expected to start again in Thursday night’s preseason finale against the Eagles. Once the regular season begins, it looks like he will share time with rookie third-round pick Jordan Jenkins.

A date that looms large on the Catapano calendar is Sept. 25, when the Jets play at Kansas City.But first things first for a player who takes nothing for granted: Thursday night’s preseason finale. And, if you know what’s good for you, don’t refer to the fourth preseason game as meaningless or garbage time.“People that don’t think it’s important probably aren’t going to stay around too long,’’ Catapano said. “I go into every game the same way: Like it’s the last game I’ll ever play.’’

>          http://nypost.com/2016/08/30/jets-upstart-lb-beating-the-odds-just-dont-call-him-a-survivor/

The New York Jets might go with rotating right tackles in their regular-season opener - and maybe beyond.

Coach Todd Bowles said Monday that both Ben Ijalana (EYE-juh-LAH-nuh) and Brent Qvale (KWAH-lee) could play the position against Cincinnati on Sunday.

"Until it sorts itself out, yes," Bowles said. "It's possible."

The two offensive linemen are competing for the spot, which is open because starter Breno Giacomini is out for out least the next six weeks while on the physically unable to perform list with a back injury.Giacomini missed all of training camp with the injury, but neither Ijalana nor Qvale established himself as the clear-cut replacement.Still, the Jets didn't put in any claims on the waiver wire over the weekend as teams made final cuts.

"I've been in this league for 16, 17 years," Bowles said. "Right tackles don't fall off trees. You're not going to claim a starting right tackle in this league. They're like quarterbacks."

Ijalana has played in seven games in five NFL seasons, mostly on special teams while also serving as a backup left tackle. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was the Jets' starting left tackle the last 10 years before retiring during the offseason, and he never missed a game or practice in his career - which left Ijalana with no opportunities for playing time on the offensive line.The 27-year-old Ijalana was re-signed by the Jets in April and moved over to right tackle during offseason workouts. He was comfortable at the new spot by the time New York played its first preseason game last month.

"I felt like I had a strong camp," Ijalana said. "I was pleased I was able to manage the transition from left to right tackle."

Qvale is entering his second full season and has started one game, lining up as a jumbo tight end.Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick was undeterred by the suggestion that a rotation at right tackle could impact the continuity of the offensive line."We've got to put five linemen out there, so whatever five they're going to be, we're going to trust they're going to be the right ones," Fitzpatrick said. "Both of those guys have been working really hard and have done a good job. We'll see how it ends up going, but that's not anything that is of concern to me."

Ijalana said Giacomini has helped him with perfecting techniques and pointed out some tips as he continues to learn the position.

"I'm just happy to be in the race," he said.

>      http://sny.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20160905153945790162408

Forget about the backup-quarterback controversy. The New York Jets have a right-tackle controversy.They open the season in five days, and the Jets still are undecided on whether to start Ben Ijalana or Brent Qvale, according to Todd Bowles. They might take the unusual step of playing both on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals.

"Until it sorts itself out, yes," Bowles said Monday. "It's possible."

So the team with four quarterbacks on the roster (unconventional) is now contemplating a two-man rotation at an offensive-line position (unorthodox). Say this for the Jets: They're not afraid to go outside the box.With incumbent Breno Giacomini (back/disc problem) on the shelf, the Jets alternated Ijalana and Qvale in the preseason. It was close to an even split, with each player starting two games. Qvale played a total of 143 snaps, Ijalana 127 (including some at left tackle).Neither player has started a game in the regular season.Ijalana, a second-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 2011, spent the past three seasons as D'Brickashaw Ferguson's understudy, which means he rarely played -- only five snaps from 2013 to 2015.

Qvale, signed as an undrafted free agent out of Nebraska in 2014, played 31 snaps last season, mostly as an extra tight end in the "jumbo" package.Both have support within the organization. Some prefer Qvale because he's considered more consistent than Ijalana on a down-to-down basis. Others prefer Ijalana because of his athleticism and edge in experience.Overall, Ijalana might have a slight edge, but there's a factor that could work against him: If something were to happen to Ryan Clady -- injury prone in recent years -- they would need Ijalana to play left tackle. Rookie Brandon Shellisn't close to being ready.

Giacomini, who has started 32 straight games, isn't eligible to return until Week 7, per the rules of reserve/PUP.

A rotation would disrupt the continuity on the line, and linemen will tell you continuity is vital. Most of the impact will be felt by right guard Brian Winters, whose performance hinges, in part, on building sound chemistry with the man to this right.The Jets tried something similar in 2012, when Matt Slauson and Vladimir Ducasse shared time at left guard. Former line coach Dave DeGuglielmo didn't like it one bit, and he publicly called out the front office, accusing the top brass of forcing him to play Ducasse because he was a high draft pick. It wasn't a good situation.

With Giacomini on the sideline from Day 1, there was some speculation about trying to acquire a right tackle on the final cutdown, but Bowles never felt that was realistic."I’ve been in this league 16, 17 years. Right tackles don’t fall off trees, and you’re not going to claim a starting right tackle in this league," he said. "They’re like quarterbacks. You’re not going to claim them."

So ,when in doubt, rotate.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62887/indecisive-jets-might-use-two-headed-right-tackle-against-bengals

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-all-31-first-round-picks-played-this-preseason/

Here is PFF's review of how all 31 first round picks played in the preseason.

It seems apparent that when you use a first round pick on an OL, they are often pretty good.  I think the time if up for the Jets in that regard.  This low to mid-round picks just are not working.

Signing FAs with real pro tape can work too.  

saw this..

~ ~  On Tuesday, Patriots offensive lineman Josh Kline was reportedly part of a trade for Eaglesdefensive back Eric Rowe ... until he wasn't. ESPN suggested at one point the Eagles were even planning to deal Kline once he became Philadelphia's property.

But now, Kline is out of work entirely.

Kline was released by the Patriots on Wednesday after his name was yanked from trade discussions Tuesday. The 26-year-old has been with New England for three seasons and started 13 games for the Patriots a year ago at both left and right guard.

Godspeed to those trying to keep track of New England's offensive line at this point. The team already cut center Bryan Stork and seems to be tinkering with just about every position up front save for left and right tackle. Coach Bill Belichick has cross-trained and even substituted offensive linemen in the past, so perhaps it's not as big a deal as we're making it.

The news might actually be a blessing in disguise for Kline, who should find himself employed shortly. The demand for starting-caliber interior offensive linemen is still high this time of year and now Kline can weigh several different offers and opportunities before selecting which team he'd like to go to.

>   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696049/article/patriots-release-offensive-lineman-josh-kline

“Little Dawg” is still a young pup in the game, but the Jets are anxious to see Darron Lee develop into a full-grown attacker.

While juggling his responsibilities within Todd Bowles’ defense with carrying the shoulder pads of his veteran teammates, the rookie has opened eyes in practice and in the preseason. “I’m not really a guy that’s going to be satisfied,” said Lee, a former Ohio State linebacker. “I always feel there’s room for improvement. Take one good step, there’ll be another eight more good steps, so you’ve got to keep working.” Flashes of the same speed he showcased at the NFL combine (a 4.43 40-yard dash) were visible throughout the summer. But the NFL learning curve initially curtailed his quickness as he adjusted to the nuances of the game. But each week, Lee improved.

“The thing about game-speed, in my opinion, it comes with reps,” assistant coach Mike Caldwell said. “The more you see things, the faster you are able to react and then your natural speed takes over. He’s getting better at that and he can run. With the more time he sees things, he’ll just continue to improve.” Some — like teammate Sheldon Richardson — have questioned whether Lee (6-1, 232) would be better served by packing on the pounds. But Caldwell doesn’t believe that’s necessary. “I don’t think you have too many 260 [pound] linebackers anymore,” he said. “The size part of it, it’s really not a big thing. When we drafted him, we knew what we were getting, we knew the temperament he had.

He’s an aggressive player, he’s physical, he’ll come down hill. And he’s pretty much an average-sized linebacker. I know he’s considered small, but when you look at him . . . he’s put together pretty good.” Along with Lee, third-round pick Jordan Jenkins easily worked his way into the first-team defense. Fourth-round cornerback Justin Burris has been inconsistent at times, but he has also shown impressive ball-hawking skills. It was his training camp interception that led Ryan Fitzpatrick to shave his wild mane and overgrown beard after a friendly wager.

With three quarterbacks ahead of him on the depth chart, second-round pick Christian Hackenberg didn’t make his preseason debut until the third exhibition game. Only time will tell what kind of NFL quarterback he’ll be — perhaps as long as a full year. The Jets handled Hackenberg with kid gloves for much of the offseason, so patience will be key when evaluating the former Penn State star.

>     http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-anxious-to-see-darron-lee-develop-1.12283897

The old NFL axiom is that if a team has two quarterbacks, it has none. Well, in the case of the New York Jets, they at least have the quarterback situation handled, but they still don’t know what to make of their right tackle dilemma. Regular starter Breno Giacomini was placed on the reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) due to a back injury, which means the Jets won’t have his services for at least the first six weeks of the season. Giacomini’s absence means the Jets will have to patch up that hole, and decide on how to do so.

They’ve been platooning backups Ben Ijalana and Brent Qvale throughout the summer, with neither one able to separate from the other. There’s even talk that Gang Green is prepared to use both tackles on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, rotating on any given play. The Jets did such a phenomenal job last season in keeping quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick upright by yielding the second-fewest sacks in the league, so it’s going to be interesting to see if the change in personnel – and chemistry – will hinder the offense. The Bengals are a perennial playoff contender with a stacked roster and one of the game’s best defenses, top to bottom. It’s a given they’ll try and attack the Jets’ right side of the offense and see if either Ijalana or Qvale are up to the task. Head coach Todd Bowles has yet to show his hand regarding the starting right tackle spot, which means Jets fans likely won’t find out the starter right until the 1 p.m. opening kickoff.

He slyly answered “it’s possible” when asked if there’s a chance of an alternating play strategy between the duo, since neither has distinctly grabbed the reins. Giacomini is a trusted veteran and one of the best locker room guys, according to teammates, so it comes as no surprise that he’s been a great mentor to the competing tandem during his absence. But with 65 career starts under his belt, including his time with the Seattle Seahawks during its 2013 Super Bowlwinning run, no amount of crash-course tutoring can account for what the Bengals will have in store for the Jets. While many Gang Green fans might feel a little uneasy, Bowles sounds confident that either – or both – will get the job done on Sunday and beyond. “I still don’t have an answer [because] I saw good in both of them, [and] I saw bad in both of them,” said Bowles. “I saw some things that they can work on. We’ll alternate them during the week and we’ll probably go right up until game day [with the rotation].” Bowles’s confidence in Ijalana and Qvale likely come from necessity and a hope to believe than actual assurance.

Never one to tip his hand or show his true emotions, Bowles allowed that the reason the Jets didn’t just simply acquire a right tackle was because there weren’t any options better than the one they had. “Right tackles don’t fall off trees. You’re not going to claim [via waivers] a starting right tackle in this league. They’re like quarterbacks,” Bowles said, noting almost 20 years of experience of seeing a dearth in top-flight tackles. So, until Giacomini fully heals, the Jets will be rolling the dice on two untested players. Ijalana has played in just seven games in five seasons, serving mainly as a backup left tackle and playing mostly on special teams. It was always hard to truly evaluate the Villanova product since he was D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s understudy and the recently retired tackle never missed a game or practice in his career.

Whatever Ijalana sees on Sunday will likely be a new experience, as the Bengals will be certain to run games and stunts on him. Qvale is entering his second full season and is equally a neophyte, as he’s only started just one game – and that was as an extra, or “jumbo,” tight end. Whatever Bowles has planned, Fitzpatrick said he’s going into the opener with full confidence in whoever starts and won’t even be thinking about any kind of rotation, if that’s what the coaches decide. “We’ve got to put five linemen out there, regardless, so whatever five they’re going to be, we’re going to trust they’re going to be the right ones,” Fitzpatrick said.

“Both of those guys have been working really hard and have done a good job. We’ll see how it ends up going, but that’s not anything that is of concern to me.” The bearded one may be putting on a brave face. But for Jets fans, Sunday could be a terrible way to start the season if their hirsute signal caller is often on his back due to front-side protection issues. Gang Green notes: Ask any lineman, coach, or executive, and one of the first words that come out of their mouths is “continuity,” when asked how an offensive line can be successful. And by executing a rotation, the Jets would be seriously messing with that concept.

A hidden side affect could be how right guard Brian Winters performs, because it’s the adjacent guard that needs to be the most in-synch with his tackle. If the rotation throws off the chemistry, then the whole line gets off-kiltered. The Jets announced that rookie Jalen Marshall will be the primary return specialist against the Bengals.

>      http://www.metro.us/new-york/jets-scrambling-to-fill-hole-at-rt-left-by-injured-starter-breno-giacomini/zsJpig---g3iNwPHX0RadQ/

On 9/6/2016 at 11:29 AM, varjet said:

It seems apparent that when you use a first round pick on an OL, they are often pretty good.  I think the time if up for the Jets in that regard.  This low to mid-round picks just are not working.

it should be noted that by the time the Jets picked, Stanley, Conklin, Decker were all off the board.  As was Ryan Kelly the center.

They could have taken Ifedi, a guard, but he's also out with a high ankle sprain and not starting the season. They could have taken Jason Spriggs but he's a 2nd rounder and 2nd string player with the Packers.

In other words, these Jets' front office are not avoiding investing in OL they are just sticking to their board and going best available player. 

Archived