Kelly Dept.: Kelly posts links to articles and Big Bang Theory gifs here ~~~

kelly

Jets DL Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif has clear statistical goals for 2017, but his primary focus is on being a team leader.

“With a lot of older guys being gone, I get to step into my role now and I’m excited about it,” he said. “So far throughout this offseason training, it’s been great. I’ve been stepping up and saying stuff and the guys have been responding well.”Williams established himself as a cornerstone of the defense in 2016, leading the Green & White in sacks (7.0) and quarterback hits (25) while earning team MVP honors. Despite only being in his third-year, the 22-year-old is a key part of a unit that is holding each other accountable.

“You have to lead by example because if you’re telling people what to do and you’re not, you’re just a hypocrite,” Williams said. “We learned something this offseason that leading by example is just doing your job. We have to take it past that where we’re taking guys and leading them with us. If we see somebody struggling or not stepping to the line, we get on that guy. Not to call him out, but because it’s in his and the team’s best interest. We’re finishing now. It’s just the little things like staying on top of guys.”

While the USC product is looking to fill a new role as a leader, he also has goals for the box score this season.“I’m going to try to make it back to the Pro Bowl again, but not be an alternate,” Williams said. “I’m also trying to get at least 10-plus sacks this year and keep elevating my game.”

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Williams-Looking-to-Step-Up-as-a-Leader/1a9e12b5-a60f-49c5-8437-4ecf66e152e1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kelly said:

Jets DL Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif has clear statistical goals for 2017, but his primary focus is on being a team leader.

“With a lot of older guys being gone, I get to step into my role now and I’m excited about it,” he said. “So far throughout this offseason training, it’s been great. I’ve been stepping up and saying stuff and the guys have been responding well.”Williams established himself as a cornerstone of the defense in 2016, leading the Green & White in sacks (7.0) and quarterback hits (25) while earning team MVP honors. Despite only being in his third-year, the 22-year-old is a key part of a unit that is holding each other accountable.

“You have to lead by example because if you’re telling people what to do and you’re not, you’re just a hypocrite,” Williams said. “We learned something this offseason that leading by example is just doing your job. We have to take it past that where we’re taking guys and leading them with us. If we see somebody struggling or not stepping to the line, we get on that guy. Not to call him out, but because it’s in his and the team’s best interest. We’re finishing now. It’s just the little things like staying on top of guys.”

While the USC product is looking to fill a new role as a leader, he also has goals for the box score this season.“I’m going to try to make it back to the Pro Bowl again, but not be an alternate,” Williams said. “I’m also trying to get at least 10-plus sacks this year and keep elevating my game.”

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Williams-Looking-to-Step-Up-as-a-Leader/1a9e12b5-a60f-49c5-8437-4ecf66e152e1

Great to hear.  My priorities for his 2017 season:

1) Don't get arrested
2) Don't get a drug violation
3) Don't tweet dick-pics or similar social media gaffes
4) Don't get injured
5) Make Brady cry and stamp his foot after getting sacked 3 times in their first game
6) Make Pro Bowl as a starter
7) If you have time after all that, be a clubhouse leader and help the team win the SB

Reasonable?

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets have signed rookie LB Jevaris Jones, who attended the recent rookie minicamp as a non-roster player. Jones (6-foot-1, 228 pounds) is from Division II Shorter University. The Jets released LB Austin Calitro, an undrafted rookie from Villanova.

-- Brandon Shell sat. Brandon Shell watched. Brandon Shell learned. 

The first 14 weeks of last season, the Jets' fifth-round pick was a backup offensive lineman. He'd occasionally work himself in on goal line packages, but that was it. So, he spent his time soaking up everything he could from those in front of him. Then, when injuries forced him into the starting lineup the final three weeks of the season, he made it look like he should have been there all along. "That's when I realized I could play with these guys," Shell told NJ Advance Media on Monday at teammate David Harris' charity golf event

It's hard to find many positives from the Jets' horrifically dismal 2016 season. They entered with sky-high expectations, only to finish 5-11. But Shell's play those final three weeks gave fans and coaches a glimmer of hope for the future.Against the Dolphins, Patriots and Bills, Shell didn't allow a single sack. He finished with a PFF grade of 79.9. While it wasn't for an entire season, the grade was higher than the Chiefs' Eric Fisher (76.7), Falcons' Jake Matthews (74.3), Broncos' Russell Okung (73.5) and Saints' Andrus Peat (69.8). 

"He played great the end of last year," center Wesley Johnson said. "We were all proud of him. He took his licks early on in and camp and in the preseason games. It was his turn to go in, and he stepped up. He played really well." Shell will compete this summer with Brent Qvale for the starting right tackle spot, per ESPN, and will rotate during camp. While the Jets did unconventionally rotate right tackles most of last year -- Ben Ijalana and Qvale would switch in-and-out during games --  in all likelihood, coach Todd Bowles will want an every-down starter for Week 1. 

Shell hopes he gets the nod. This time for more than three games. 

"I'm just coming in and competing," he said. "I'll let [offensive line] Coach [Steve] Marshall pick whoever will win the starting job. I just want to compete and give it all I've got to win the job."Shell was one of several current and former Jets at Harris' eighth-annual golf event, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation and North Jersey Underprivileged Children.Give the Kids Hope Foundation is a charitable organization, which directly benefits underprivileged children in New Jersey. The foundation has set a goal in 2017 to continue its support of providing needed renovations at Camp Hope, where over 2,700 underprivileged children from North Jersey attend at no cost every summer.

"It's a good cause to raise money to improve the grounds of the camp in West Milford, and sponsor underprivileged kids to go to some camps for free," Harris said. "It's always a good thing to have this event."

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/brandon_shell_ready_to_compete_for_jets_right_tack.html#incart_river_index

-- In hindsight, it probably wasn't Lorenzo Mauldin's best decision. He wanted to improve his play against the run, so last offseason, he gained 10 pounds. 

It worked ... sort of. Mauldin held his ground better against bigger offensive linemen, but lost a serious amount of his speed. He didn't make nearly the impact he did as a rookie in 2015. 

So, this offseason, the Jets' linebacker switched things up again.

"Lots of things changed," Mauldin told NJ Advance Media at teammate David Harris' charity golf event Monday. "Goal for this year was to lose weight." 

After playing most of 2016 between 265-268 pounds, Mauldin is now at 258. He'll likely be 255 by training camp, and doesn't want to cross 260 at any point during the year. Mauldin hopes this helps him get his speed back, and finally breakout in his third season. The Jets drafted Mauldin in the third round in 2015. They believed he had what it took to become a game-changing, pass-rushing threat from the outside. But two years in, Mauldin has been a bit of a disappointment. 

He had four sacks as a situational pass rusher his rookie year. Despite high expectations heading into his sophomore campaign, he finished with 2.5 sacks in an injury-shortened 11 games. He knows if he doesn't put it all together this year, the Jets could start looking for his replacement. "I'm going to have my butt in the training room to stay healthy," Mauldin said. "I'm going to have my butt in the weight room to get stronger and faster. I'm in the playbook every day. I'm trying to learn new things I didn't know last year. Last season was a humbling year for me."  

Mauldin now has something he hasn't before: A Hall of Fame mentor. The Jets hired ex-Steeler Kevin Greene to be their outside linebackers coach in late January. He had 160 sacks in 15 NFL seasons. Mauldin said when he got wind of Greene's hire, he instantly went to YouTube to watch his old highlights. He came away quite impressed. 

"Man, this guy tells me to jump, I'm going to ask how high," Mauldin said. "This guy's a Hall of Famer. I was pretty stoked when they told me he'd be my coach." 

The Jets first organized team activity is Tuesday, but Mauldin is already soaking up as much as he can from Greene. The two are trying to convert him from a strictly finesse player, to a more well-rounded one.Mauldin said Greene wants him to use his forearm more, develop a bull rush to his pass-rushing repertoire, and put his "body" on people. If Mauldin can do this successfully, he may finally reach his full potential."I feel like his methods are rubbing off on me," Mauldin said. "We haven't even started practice, and I feel like I'm going to excel this year. I feel like I have a tenacity this year to do better than I have my first two seasons."

Mauldin was one of several current and former Jets at Harris' eighth-annual golf event, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation and North Jersey Underprivileged Children.Give the Kids Hope Foundation is a charitable organization, which directly benefits underprivileged children in New Jersey. The foundation has set a goal in 2017 to continue its support of providing needed renovations at Camp Hope, where over 2,700 underprivileged children from North Jersey attend at no cost every summer.

"It's a good cause to raise money to improve the grounds of the camp in West Milford, and sponsor underprivileged kids to go to some camps for free," Harris said. "It's always a good thing to have this event."

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/down_nearly_10_pounds_jets_lorenzo_mauldin_ready_f.html#incart_river_index

• 3 weeks later...

-- It's a crazy stat, and certainly one linebacker Darron Lee isn't proud of: In his first season with the Jets, he lost more football games than he had in his entire life combined.

Seriously. In high school, he lost six. In college, he lost two. Last year, the Jets finished 5-11.And if it's up to Lee, the losing will come to an end pretty quick. One helping was all he needed."It pisses me off," Lee told NJ Advance Media at his locker Tuesday. "I don't like to lose. I wasn't born on this planet to lose."

Lee is one of the young players the Jets are leaning on to turn around a culture that, at least in recent memory, has become accustomed to losing. The Jets are in the midst of their longest playoff drought since 1992-1997, are 41-55 over the last six years, and have just one winning season since 2011.And it seems unlikely things get much better this year. Many analysts believe the Jets could, once again, be among the NFL's worst. Lee says he and his teammates have heard the talk. They're not taking it to heart, but they are making note. 

"It motivates us for sure," he said. "But we're a much more close-knit group than we were in years past. I think it's showing. We've got a lot of young energy. A lot of guys are eager. That energy is going to pull through and show a lot more than those doubting expectations. 

"Which is fine. We hear them. We know them. It's not anything like we're sitting here worrying about. If we go out there and play our game and play fundamentally sound we'll be OK."The formula for success isn't rocket science: If the Jets want to win more games, they have to get more from their players. Lee isn't an exception to this. While he flashed some his rookie year, there was more bad than good.Lee had just 73 tackles and one sack in 13 games. He had a PFF grade of 38.3, which ranked 84th among inside linebackers. Adding injury to insult, Lee suffered a high and low ankle sprain in Week 6. It cost him three games, and Lee said it didn't get back to 100 percent until the "second or third week of March."

But the most frustrating part of the year for Lee was his performance in coverage. As he watched the film this offseason, he saw himself in perfect position to make plays. He just didn't make them.So, Lee spent this offseason studying route concepts. He excelled in coverage in college, but those offenses weren't nearly as advanced as they are in the NFL. He now feels confident in anticipating what a tight end, receiver or running back is going to run based on their split.Through five organized team activity practices, his coaches are taking notice. Todd Bowles believes his rookie year lumps will only make him a better player going forward. 

"He gave up a couple of plays," Bowles said. "I don't think he struggled. I thought he played well as a rookie. I thought he made a mistake or two, here or there, but nothing that he didn't learn from."Lee admits he's far from a fine-tuned product. Every day he's attempting to get better. He's not taking any rep at OTAs for granted. Even when he's not on the field, he's standing by with veteran David Harris or a coach asking questions.

He used to be able to get by with his speed and physical gifts. That's not the case anymore. For the first time, he's relying as much on his mind as athletic ability."I'm not here at OTAs trying to be perfect," Lee said. "I'm trying to get down those subtle clues. I'm doing it even when I'm not on the field. Now that I can apply that, I definitely look to turn the corner on that aspect of my game."  

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jets_darron_lee_hoping_to_show_improved_coverage_s.html#incart_river_index

The New York Jets made news Thursday by trading Calvin Pryor for a familiar face, Demario Davis. Our question of the week focuses on Davis and his potential role.

#jetsmail Davis was drafted to "cover tight ends" so is this a depth move or just a BS cap move because he ain't that?

@RichCimini: I don't remember anybody mentioning tight-end coverage when the Jets drafted Davis in 2012. They picked him to be a weak-inside linebacker, and that's what he was from 2013 to 2015. I also remember Rex Ryan comparing Davis' leadership skills to those of Ray Lewis, an absurdly exaggerated comment.

And now ? Yes, there was a cap-related element to the trade. None of Davis' $3.7 million salary is guaranteed, meaning the Jets can cut him before the season with no cap hit whatsoever. I can tell you one thing: If Davis makes the team, it won't be at $3.7 million. That's too much money for a backup. My hunch is, if the Jets really want to keep him around, they'd ask him to take a pay cut.

The Jets will let this play out over the next three months and see what happens. Ideally, Davis could be the No. 3 inside linebacker, coming off the bench to spell David Harris and Darron Lee. He could reprise the Erin Henderson role from 2015, which would be ironic because it was Davis who lost playing time when Todd Bowles started rotating Henderson into the lineup.Davis is solid insurance in case something happens to Harris, who at 33 isn't getting any younger. He also will provide competition for Lee, who still hasn't reached his potential. Maybe Bowles will use them in a three-linebacker rotation to keep everybody fresh. If the Jets are impressed by Davis, 28, maybe they re-sign him to replace Harris in 2018.

The bottom line is this could go in a number of different directions. It's called flexibility, and that's a good thing. There's also a comfort level because this coaching staff knows the player's strengths and weaknesses. They also know he's a solid guy in the locker room.I find it interesting the Cleveland Browns gave up on him after a year. On paper, Davis was solid (99 tackles, two sacks) but maybe his numbers didn't impress the analytics people in the front office. His playing time declined late in the year and the Browns finished 31st in run defense, so there's that. He was penciled in to start this season at middle linebacker, but he apparently wasn't seen as a good fit under new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

The Jets know exactly what they're getting, so their expectations aren't through the roof. In a way, Davis was a means to an end, and their goal was to find a team willing to take on Pryor's guaranteed salary. If they get production on the field, it's a bonus.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69117/demario-davis-2-0-lower-expectations-no-ray-lewis-comparisons

Jets LB Demario Davisicon-article-link.gif is excited to be wearing green and white yet again.“I’m so happy to be back,” Davis told the media following Tuesday’s OTA practice. “It feels good to be back home. This is my football home. I just praise God for bringing everything full circle like that. I wanted to be back here in the Big Apple, the place I was drafted. I’m excited to get started.”

The Arkansas State product spent his first four seasons with the Jets (2012-15) before taking a year hiatus with Cleveland, where he ranked second on the team with 99 tackles. A three-year starter for the Green & White, Davis racked up 313 tackles and started all 48 games in that span.The six-year veteran wasn’t stunned on being traded, saying, “You don't know in this business, so you always stay on your toes when anything happens. Knowing and understanding that, you have to stay light on your feet." Davis had only positive things to say regarding the Browns organization and said his time in Northeast Ohio was invaluable to his career moving forward.“I came back a different person,” he said. “I grew a lot in leadership. Being on a team that had a young locker room, I had to grow a lot and learn how to lead the young guys. And I grew as a human being in that, mostly in relationships and how to relate differently to different individuals.

"I also grew as a player. It was almost like an isolation at the end of last season where I was really able to check my game and see where I was at. I realized there were areas of my game that were deficient where I should be strong. I’ve been decent in the run game, but I haven’t done so well in the pass game and blitzing, so I spent an incredible amount of time in the offseason preparing myself. Had I not been in the situation that I was in last year, I may not have had stopped and looked at myself in that way.”While Davis wouldn’t tip his hand on what he did specifically to polish his craft, he’s excited to see his improvement on the field. Head coach Todd Bowles said the 6’2”, 248-pounder is in the mix for the starting Mike linebacker spot along with Julian Stanfordicon-article-link.gif and Bruce Cartericon-article-link.gif after David Harrisicon-article-link.gif was released Tuesday.

“I’m just ready to help the Jets pursue a championship,” Davis said. “I’m ready and willing to help them in any role that the coaches see fit.”

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/How-Demario-Davis-Came-Back-a-Different-Person/099ba43b-d872-46a2-816e-70b34e38ef35

Three days after releasing LB David Harris, the Jets have signed former Dolphins and Giants LB Spencer Paysinger. In 15 games (three starts) last season for Miami, he played 315 defensive snaps and recorded 51 tackles and two fumble recoveries. Paysinger (6-2, 249) played every linebacker spot for the Dolphins, but he was primarily an inside linebacker. The Jets have a void at middle linebacker now that Harris is gone.

David Harris says goodbye to Jets with funny parting line

David Harris never has been about individual milestones, but there was one mark he coveted: He wanted to finish his New York Jets career as the franchise's all-time leader in tackles.

He didn't publicize it, but he started telling friends in recent years his goal was to overtake Kyle Clifton, who produced 1,471 tackles from 1984-96. Harris, who finished with 1,260 (second on the all-time list), made a lighthearted reference to his failed quest in the final line of a farewell letter that was posted Friday on the team's official web site.

Harris' goodbye :

The past couple of days have allowed me to reflect on my career with the New York Jets and how grateful I am.

First, I want to thank Woody Johnson and everyone in the Jets organization who gave me the opportunity to live out my childhood dream of playing at this level, for every day of these last 10 years. Thank you for exposing a kid from the Southeast side of Grand Rapids, Michigan, and his family, to so many wonderful experiences. We have made lifelong memories here in New York.

To Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles and your coaching staffs -- thank you for your trust and confidence in choosing me to lead your defenses and teaching me how to truly play this game. Thanks to John Mellody, Dave Zuffelato, Josh Koch, Ezron Bryson, Greg Rosequist and the rest of the medical training staff. You guys are the heroes working tirelessly behind the scene. To Justus Galac, Aaron McLaurin and the rest of the strength and conditioning crew -- thank you for never allowing me to just settle, and for pushing me in many ways more than just physically. Thank you Dave Szott and Montelle Sanders for everything you do for the players.

To all of my former teammates, I enjoyed every single moment playing beside you throughout the years, during all of the ups and downs. Only we know the sacrifices that were made, day in and day out, to be able to put out the very best product possible for our fans. I want every single one of you to know that my loyalty has always been to you guys in that locker room and to the coaches. And last but not least, to all of those diehard Jets fans -- thank you for your support and motivation.

Many lessons can be taught and learned in this sport that we love to watch and play. When I attended the University of Michigan our head strength coach, Mike Gittleson, used to always make us do this exercise called "farmer's walks" during off-season conditioning. He made us do them from end zone to end zone and then back, in deep snow and freezing temperatures, carrying very heavy sandbags in each hand. He made sure that each one of us never followed in the player's footprints who did the exercise before us because that would've been the easy route. Instead, he made sure every single man made and took their own path. And ever since then, that's what I have strived to do.

GO JETS!!!

P.S. -- To Kyle Clifton, your Jets all-time tackle record is now safe.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69248/ex-jets-lb-david-harris-says-goodbye-with-funny-parting-line

Report : Jets have talked to Erik Walden recently

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2017, 3:06 PM EDT

610461014-e1497035201620.jpg?w=250

There aren’t many players from our Hot 100 list of the top free agents in the league still unsigned at this point in the offseason, but the small group includes linebacker Erik Walden.

Walden is coming off an 11-sack season for the Colts, who opted for almost total overhaul of their linebacking corps after Chris Ballard was hired as their new General Manager while Walden has remained on the market. There are some signs of interest, though.

Brian Costello of the New York Post reports that the Jets have had talks with Walden in recent weeks. As anyone who has paid attention to the team’s offseason is aware, the Jets could use talent at almost every spot on the roster. Acquiring the 31-year-old would mark a departure from the youth movement that’s gone on in their patch of New Jersey this offseason.

Walden visited with the Titans early in free agency and Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com reports they’ve stayed in contact over the last couple of months.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/09/report-jets-have-talked-to-erik-walden-recently/

Jets waive linebacker Randell Johnson

Posted by Charean Williams on June 9, 2017, 8:45 PM EDT
610469440.jpg?w=250

The Jets waived linebacker Randell Johnson on Friday.

The Bills made Johnson a seventh-round pick in 2014, cutting him last year with an injury designation before the season. He signed to the Rams practice squad before the Jets signed him to their active roster.

Johnson played in only one game last season. For his career, he has played in 16 games with one start. He made six tackles and recovered a fumble in 2015 with the Bills.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/09/jets-waive-linebacker-randell-johnson/

The New York Jets close the offseason with a mandatory, three-day minicamp, starting Tuesday. Five players I'll be watching :

~ ~ LB Demario Davis : He returned two weeks ago as an apparent backup, but the abrupt decision to release middle linebacker David Harris has changed that. Davis is now the leading candidate to take over the Mike position manned by Harris since 2008. Davis said he learned a lot about himself during his one-year sabbatical from the Jets, which he spent in Cleveland. He said, "I grew as a player. I realized there were areas of my game that were deficient. I've done decent in the run game, but I haven't done so well in the pass game. I haven't done so well in blitzing. I spent an incredible amount of time in the offseason preparing myself. I really humbled myself and checked myself to see where I'm at, areas I want to improve."

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69295/up-next-for-christian-hackenberg-finish-offseason-with-strong-minicamp

-- At the end of last season, Leonard Williams said his goal was to become a team leader for the New York Jets. He shared that sentiment with his girlfriend's father, who played a little football in his day. He suggested to Williams that he enroll in a leadership program, just as he did early in his own career.

Williams did, and Hailey Lott's dad -- the great Ronnie Lott -- approved.

"I applaud him," the Pro Football Hall of Famer told ESPN on Tuesday. "Most athletes are consumed by themselves, not consumed by trying to help others. He wants to get excited about trying to find ways to make the team better, not just himself."Williams signed up for five weekend seminars at the Ascension Leadership Academy in San Diego, where he's learning personal development with an emphasis on leadership. He'll head back to San Diego at the end of the month to complete the curriculum.

More than ever, the Jets need a few good leaders. They stripped down their roster this offseason, jettisoning veterans such as David Harris, Eric Decker, Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall and Darrelle Revis. There's a leadership void in the locker room, and they're counting on Williams to become the face of the defense, a unit still reeling from Harris' abrupt release."Even before David was gone, I was ready to step into a leadership role and give back to the team as much as possible," Williams said Tuesday at minicamp. "I want to bring up some of the younger guys and show more involvement as a leader."

Williams is the best player on the team, and he still hasn't celebrated his 23rd birthday. (That happens June 23.) Right now, he's a one-man foundation, looking to get better on and off the field at ALA."I've learned that it's all a mindset," he said. "I kind of already knew that, but they harp on it a lot. Anything you think is possible, you can make possible."

When Lott sensed Williams was serious about this leadership thing, he suggested that he go all-in. Lott, who finished his career with the Jets in 1994, was a respected leader on four Super Bowl championship teams with the San Francisco 49ers. He was a star at USC, as was Williams. They met through their Trojans connections and developed a strong friendship.Just recently, Lott, Williams and USC legend Marcus Allen -- another Hall of Famer -- had a three-way phone conversation. Williams is one lucky dude; what player wouldn't love to have Hall of Fame advisers a phone call away?

"Marcus told him, 'We don't expect you to be good, we expect you to be the best that ever played,'" Lott said.

Lott believes Williams has unlimited potential.

"You want to have a player where, every time he lines up, the opponent is afraid of him and fears him," Lott said. "You want that guy. I think he has the capability of being like a J.J. Watt or Jadeveon Clowney. For him, I just hope he gets to a point where he thinks he's the best in the league."It's a credit to Williams that he wants to be a well-rounded player, not a diva absorbed with his own greatness. That's why he signed up for personal enrichment.

"When you're there, it's not just athletes," he said. "It's everyday people, business people. You really learn a lot from each other and learn about your past and what holds you back. It's really cool."It helps me go to work every day with a purpose. Sometimes when you're in camp, you do the same thing every day and you feel like you're going through the motions. This helps me wake up in the morning with set intentions every day."His popularity soared 11 days ago, when a video posted on Twitter showed him forcibly removing teammate Darron Lee from an apparent dispute with a woman at a music festival in New York. Both players declined to discuss the incident, which is being investigated by the NFL. His silence notwithstanding, Williams showed a take-charge attitude.

The Jets need that, especially without Harris."He passed down a lot of stuff to me," Williams said, "and I'm going to try to pass it down to the younger guys as well."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69322/leonard-williams-taking-leadership-courses-and-learning-from-mentor-ronnie-lott

-- Darron Lee was shocked, the same as everyone else. An hour before he'd be picking the brain of teammate David Harris on the practice field during the Jets eighth organized team activity. And now, Harris was gone. 

Seemingly out of nowhere, the Jets released the veteran linebacker on June 6. In the process, Lee went from talented understudy, to star of the show. He's now the man in the middle for the Jets

"Got to step up," Lee said at his locker Tuesday. While they played just a year together, Lee struggled to list everything he learned from Harris. He called the 33-year-old a "father figure" to so many in the locker room, himself included. A "pro's pro" in every sense of the word. Harris was never a rah-rah guy, but the way he carried himself said more than any words could. He was the first one in and last one out every day. He spent near countless hours in the film room. Intentional or not, Harris' preparation and daily routine rubbed off on Lee. He changed his sleep schedule to get to the facility just as early. 

"I miss him," Lee said. "I'm still going to consult him even though he won't be around. I'll ask him for advice and everything." 

Harris' release was just the latest chapter in general manager Mike Maccagnan's roster purge. He joined the likes of Brandon Marshall,Eric Decker, Darrelle Revis and others handed their walking papers in recent months. The Jets made a concerted effort to get younger this offseason. 

And they did. 

Just four players on the roster are over the age of 30. Nose tackle Steve McLendon (31) is the oldest projected starter on defense. Demario Davis -- Harris' replacement -- is second-oldest at 28."We've obviously talked about building a young team going forward and position ourselves for success," Maccagnan said last week. "It's going to be a competitive roster. There's going to be a lot of opportunities for a lot of players on this roster and that will play itself out over time. But again, we're doing things we feel are going to help this organization both short and long term."Some see the inexperience as a major flaw. Lee, whom the Jets drafted 20th overall last year, believes it's a chance to have his voice heard. But first, he'll need to keep himself out of trouble. 

In February, Lee was jumped at a bar in Cleveland. At a concert in New York two weeks ago, he got in an argument with his girlfriend. A bystander accused him of "manhandling" her and attempting to "drag her away." Teammate Leonard Williams had to step in and forcibly remove Lee from the situation.Lee wouldn't comment on what happened that night, citing the league's open investigation. He will once the matter is settled. For now, his focus is on football, and how he can help this team this year. "Definitely stepping up into more of a leadership role," Lee said. "We're all young, but at the same time, we have to step up now. I was a starter last year. Now I'm the sole starter from last year in our room." 

Lee wants to be a voice of reason for his teammates in the darkest of times. When things take a turn for the worse, he wants to be the guy to help get things back on track. And he should be able to. After all, he had quite the mentor. "If you want an example of how to do it, and how to do it right," Lee said with a smile. "Dave Harris."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/darron_lee_ready_to_replace_david_harris_in_middle.html#incart_river_index

There is no way Jets rookie Dylan Donahue should be talking about a dream sack of Tom Brady, but he is.

“That first sack I get against Tom Brady, if I do, I’m not saying I will, if I do, I’m definitely going to hang on to that ball,” Donahue says with a laugh. “And I hope someone takes my picture, because that’ll be framed in my house somewhere.”

There is no way Donahue, 24, should be sitting in an NFL locker room showing a lion tattoo on his left forearm and chuckling when asked if he does not like quarterbacks. But he is.“A little bit,” he says. “It’s like a lion to a gazelle. It’s not like they hate them, as a personal issue, it’s just like, ‘That’s your prey, and I’m going to go get you.’ That’s just nature, that’s just the food chain to me.“Quarterbacks are tricky, they’re smart, they control the entire offense, and if you can go destroy that, then you’re affecting the nucleus of the whole offense, you know.”

There is no way Leonard Williams should be calling this pony-tailed rookie “Clay Matthews,” no way linebackers coach Kevin Greene should be taking him under his pass-rushing wing. But they are.“Everyone calls me ‘Wild Man’ here,” Donahue says. “I just do crazy things. Sacrifice-my-body-type stuff.”There is no way he should be saying he expects to be the hardest-playing player in the NFL. But he is.

“After every game I’ve had in college, everyone I’ve gone up against directly, and sometimes indirectly, they say like, ‘Wow dude, you’re the hardest-playing guy I’ve ever gone against.’ It never fails.

After every single game,” Donahue says.But Dylan Donahue is here, and he is here against all odds, after battling attention deficit disorder:

“I was medicated ever since I was in first grade for that,” he says. “And at first, it was helping me out a lot, but then there’s side effects that started to kick in like not being able to eat. … Eventually it made me depressed … it destroyed my social life … I was an outcast for sure.“I remember at one point in California, I was just like thinking, ‘What is the point of life?’ I couldn’t see the point of me being alive.“I wouldn’t take it as far as like I wanted to commit suicide or anything like that. I would never do that. But I was just like, ‘How can I figure out what my purpose is?’ ”

There was the drinking at NAIA school Montana Western:“My dad would send me like 1,000 bucks every month, and there’s probably a community of maybe 1,700 students there — every single one of ’em just wanted to drink. All the time, every day. I really had no choice. It was either bore myself to death or go out and find something to do, and the only thing to do was get drunk.”

Every day?

“Just about every day.”

What were you drinking?

“A lot of beer.”

Finally, after two years at Palomar JC in San Diego, light at the end of the tunnel at Division II West Georgia.“I got reintroduced to God, and everything just kind of started coming together,” Donahue said.And here he is.“Well, I got short arms and I’m not crazy fast. … I’m real undersized [6-foot-3, 248 pounds] and I come from a [Division II school]. How much more of an underdog can you be in the NFL?” Donahue asks.

Football is his release.

“I don’t know if anyone’s really been through what I have been through,” Donahue says. “I mean, I’m not taking anything from anybody. I feel like the route I’ve had to take to get to where I’m at, and the reasons that I have to play football are some of the best reasons … when people play it because they have kids and they want to support their family, all that’s great, but I’m doing it because I love the game. All I want to do is play football.

“Football is me and I’m football.

“I just feel like when I’m out there I can just be myself and release my crazy side, you know? You can ask any one of my teammates that played with me, I’m crazy out there.”

A young lion on the prowl for Gisele’s gazelle.

>     http://nypost.com/2017/06/14/meet-the-jets-rookie-wild-man-whos-dreaming-of-sacking-brady/

David Harris may be gone, but his replacement in the lineup should be familiar to Jets fans.

That would be Demario Davis, who began his career in New York before playing for Cleveland last season. The Jets reacquired the linebacker at the start of the month when they traded safety Calvin Pryor to the Browns.

With Davis back in green, Harris became expendable and was cut.

Davis was drafted by the Jets in the third round of the 2012 NFL draft and immediately received high praise by former head coach Rex Ryan. He told reporters that after a pre-draft visit that “He reminds me of Ray.”Ryan was referring to Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. That’s a huge compliment for any player, let alone a rookie.

Unfortunately for Davis, he never was able to live up to those high expectations and left for the Browns after his rookie contract ended. But now that he is back in New York, Davis claims that he is back and better than ever.He told reporters last week that he is “much faster” than in previous years thanks to his new diet and sleep patterns. Davis aims to sleep for around 9 and 1/2 hours every night. Combined with altered eating habits, Davis said he “rebuilt” his engine in preparation for the 2017 regular season.

If all goes according to plan, as Davis will likely be one of the Jets’ starting linebackers this season.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/19/jets-lb-demario-davis-claims-to-have-rebuilt-himself-by-sleeping-more/?hl=1&noRedirect=1

-- Through two seasons, Jets outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin hasn't exactly been a disruptive pass rusher. After showing signs of potential in 2015, with four sacks, he had just 2.5 sacks last year.But now, Mauldin's new position coach is one of the NFL's best ever pass rushers -- Kevin Greene. And Greene has a plan to get more out of Mauldin. He wants Mauldin -- and all his outside linebackers -- to play with a more powerful style, rather than relying on finesse. 

And the message is getting through to Mauldin. 

"I was a finesse player," he said earlier this month during minicamp. "I think I'm going to throw that into the trash can this year. I think I'm going to go with more power this year." 

Why does Greene favor this approach ? 

"Everybody at this level has skill, correct?" Greene said. "They're all athletic, and agility and dexterity and all that stuff. Well, what separates people initially is their physical level of play. That's always our first step, is we have to play more physical than whoever is in front of us, because we're all athletic."[Mauldin] understands that. Zo and all my kids, they're going to be more physical players than they have been in the past. I think the sky is limit the for all my kids. I'm teaching my kids technique and fundamentals not based on athletic ability and skill. It's based on physicality. It's based on drive and desire."The Jets want Mauldin to be an edge-rushing presence in their current rebuild, since he is still a young player. (He turns 25 in October.) But he'll have to show more production. 

Greene was an intense player, and he wants his Jets to play with intensity, too. 

"They're going to have some growing pains with some of the technique and fundamentals that I'm teaching," he said. "But they want to learn. Play free. I try to encourage my kids to let the love flow. Let it flow. If you make a good play, let a little passion flow. And have some passion for your teammates when they make a big-time play. Nothing wrong with that."Greene said he has "no idea" why Mauldin -- whom the Jets drafted in Round 3 -- has yet to excel as a pass rusher. But there are tough adjustments every outside linebacker must make, going from college to the NFL. There are far more coverage duties in the NFL at the position. "It's the hardest thing to do, going from a three-point stance up into a staggered, two-point stance," Greene said. "And now expanding your vision [to see possible pass catchers in the formation] and understanding how that can change your job, depending on formation, motion, or any number of factors. So that's where the growing pain comes." 

In addition to uneven on-field performances in his first two seasons, Mauldin now has legal issues. He faces a lawsuit and a misdemeanor assault charge for allegedly punching a man in the face at a New York nightclub in April. Mauldin's attorney has proclaimed his innocence. Mauldin is due back in court Aug. 16. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/how_jets_kevin_greene_plans_to_fix_lorenzo_mauldin.html#incart_river_index

With David Harris no longer with the Jets, there is going to be a changing of the guard at the linebacker position in 2017.Darron Lee will be the guy to fill Harris’ shoes and after an up-and-down rookie campaign, the potential for Lee to have a breakout season is definitely there.

Given that Lee’s rookie year was marred by a lingering ankle injury that kept him out nearly a month, his rookie numbers come nowhere near what Harris was able to accomplish in his first year with the Jets.To say Harris had a successful rookie campaign in 2007 would be a severe understatement. The second round pick had 17 tackles and one sack in his first career start in Week 8 against the Buffalo Bills and followed that performance up with a dominant 24-tackle game against the Washington Redskins in Week 9.

Overall, Harris racked up 127 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles despite only starting nine games. He was also named the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the oMnth in November.

In comparison, Lee came away with 73 tackles, one sack and no forced fumbles.

When comparing the rookie seasons of Harris and Lee, one must take into account that Lee missed four games and was learning how to play in the middle as opposed to coming off the edge.Lee is only 22 and while he might not have been the tackling machine that Harris was in his rookie year, the sophomore possesses the raw talent and athleticism to be a rock in the middle of the Jets defense for years to come.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/27/comparing-darron-lees-rookie-season-to-ex-jets-lb-david-harris/

It’s no question the New York Jets have one of the worst rosters in the NFL and will likely finish next season with less than three wins.But even with one of the least talented groups of players, the Jets do have some key guys that are vital to the team’s success, such as defensive lineman Leonard Williams.

On his most recent “Move The Sticks” podcast, NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Williams is the Jet’s “jenga piece”. Jeremiah was referring to the popular childhood game Jenga where you pull out pieces of a tower until it collapses. He believes without Williams, the Jets wouldn’t be the same team and would collapse.

He is absolutely right.

After being drafted by New York with the sixth overall pick in 2015, Williams has shown he has the talent to be one of the best defensive linemen in the league and has emerged as a leader in New York’s young locker room.

Some other Jets players that could be considered as “jenga pieces” are wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, running back Bilal Powell and DL Muhammad Wilkerson.

Enunwa and Powell are arguably the Jets’ top offensive playmakers, while Wilkerson is trying to bounce back after a disappointing 2016. If he can get himself right, he and Williams will make the Jets’ defensive line a force to be reckoned with.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/26/who-is-the-jenga-piece-of-the-jets/

New York Jets defensive end Leonard Williams has made quite the impression in his first two years in the NFL.

The 2015 first-round pick has drawn some comparisons to the best defensive linemen in franchise history, including Shaun Ellis. Ellis was a former first-round pick who spent 10 years with the Jets before finishing his career with the New England Patriots.In his time with Gang Green, Ellis became a dominant force on the defensive line, earning trips to the Pro Bowl in 2003 and 2009.

With the two players being mentioned in the same breath, how do they compare throughout their first two years in New York?Both Williams and Ellis made an instant impact upon their arrival, earning starting spots early on.Williams had an impressive rookie campaign with 63 tackles, three sacks and an All-Rookie Team selection, but it was Ellis who had the better rookie year. He recorded 8.5 sacks, the second-highest total by a rookie in franchise history.

What sets Williams apart from Ellis is his sophomore season, a year that culminated in his first Pro Bowl selection. While Williams improved upon his rookie season, Ellis’ play tailed off a bit, and he came away with only five sacks.While Ellis eventually got it together and became the player that he was in his rookie season on a consistent basis, Williams has yet to prove his dominance over an extended period of time.

Things are trending up for Williams, and if he keeps up his level of play, he is primed to overtake Ellis on the Jets list of all-time great defensive linemen.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/25/how-does-jets-de-leonard-williams-compare-to-shaun-ellis-2-years-in/

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 20 : Ben Ijalana

Last year’s ranking : Unranked

Position : OT

How acquired : Claimed off waivers from the Colts on Sept. 1, 2013

Years left on contract : 2

2017 Salary Cap figure: $4.3 million

Looking back at 2016 : After three years on the team in which he barely played, Ijalana got his chance last year and played pretty well. Ijalana began the year splitting time at right tackle with Brent Qvale, where they rotated series. Then, he moved to left tackle after Ryan Clady suffered a season-ending shoulder injury at midseason. He started 13 games and played significant minutes in all 16.

I was not sure what to expect from Ijalana since he had not seen the field much in his first few years. I thought he proved to be a good right tackle, but a shaky left tackle. Ijalana did fine in run blocking, but when faced with top pass rushers, he struggled.That being said, the Jets were pleased with what they got out of Ijalana, and it was clear midway through the year that he was better than Qvale.

Outlook for 2017 : The Jets were happy enough with Ijalana to give him a two-year, $11 million deal this offseason in free agency. With that kind of commitment, Ijalana’s days on the bench should be over.He worked at left tackle this spring when Kelvin Beachum was not practicing, but I expect Beachum to be the left tackle when the season comes and Ijalana to shift over to right. He will be competing with Brandon Shell and Qvale for that spot, but I would be surprised if he is not the Week 1 starter.

One thing to watch is Ijalana’s health. He had his knee scoped recently and did not participate in the team’s June minicamp. The expectation is he will be ready to go when training camp opens.

>     http://nypost.com/2017/07/03/jets-tackle-now-has-to-prove-hes-worth-11-million-investment/

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 19: Demario Davis

Last year’s ranking: Unranked, not on team

Position: LB

How acquired: Traded from Browns in exchange for Calvin Pryor on June 1

Years left on contract: 1

2017 Salary Cap figure: $2.2 million

Looking back at 2016: The Browns signed Davis to a two-year, $8 million deal in March 2016. They brought Davis in to be a leader in their locker room and a starting inside linebacker.Davis was a captain on a Browns team that had 18 rookies on the roster and he started 15 of 16 games, finishing second on the team in tackles with 99. He also had two sacks.Pro Football Focus ranked Davis 59th out of the 87 linebackers they graded. He was 78th against the run and 43rd in coverage.Davis was in the middle of a defense that gave up the second-most rushing yards in the NFL and was last in coverage against tight ends, according to FootballOutsiders.com.While he remained a starter, Davis’ playing time dwindled as the season wore on. He played nine snaps in Week 12 and his final four weeks he played 28, 54, 22 and 31 snaps.

Outlook for 2017: The Jets brought Davis, a 2012 third-round pick of the team, back in the trade that shipped Pryor to Cleveland. The Browns have a new defensive coordinator in Gregg Williams and are shifting to a 4-3, which Davis does not really fit.Initially, it looked like the Jets were just bringing Davis back in order to unload Pryor on someone. The thought was he would have to have a big summer to make the team. Then, the Jets released veteran David Harris.

Now, it looks like Davis is the leading candidate to start at the Mike linebacker.He reworked his contract to a $1 million base down from $3.7 million, a sign that he was eager to return to the Jets. Davis has said he lost weight and feels like he is better in coverage than during his first stint with the Jets.Davis was always a good run stuffer, but teams targeted him on wheel routes to running backs that he struggled to cover. If he is indeed better in coverage now, he could be a key piece of the Jets defense.Davis has always had good leadership skills and he will help in a young locker room and with second-year linebacker Darron Lee in his own position group.

>     http://nypost.com/2017/07/04/a-new-demario-davis-jets-will-find-out-in-one-key-area/

Jets OLB Jordan Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif’ strong finish in 2016 helped kick off his sophomore campaign on a high note.

“I feel like it really set me up for going into this season,” Jenkins said. “I was rushing a lot smoother, I was setting a lot better, making more tackles and being a lot more effective on the field. Honestly, I just let loose, let my aggression take over and just play football.”The Georgia product registered 17 tackles, four tackles for loss/no gain, 2.5 sacks and seven QB hits in Weeks 14-17. The exclamation point came in the season finale against the Bills when he strip-sacked QB EJ Manuel and recovered the ball.In addition to completing his degree in insurance risk management, Jenkins worked with former NFL player Chuck Smith throughout the offseason with the hopes of improving his pass rush. Plus, the second-year player has a tremendous tutor in OLBs coach Kevin Greene.

“Kevin Greene is the kind of coach I always love to have,” Jenkins said. “He’s intense all the time. He gets after it and we feed off of each other. He’s just like an old school guy. He went to Auburn so we have that SEC love, but I talk trash with him all the time. He’s a great coach and I just watch him and try to replicate his technique. I’ve been learning how he wants things done.”Outside of soaking in Greene’s knowledge through individual drills and practice during spring ball, the 6’3”, 259-pounder popped in some tape of his Hall of Fame coach.
“K.G. was a monster,” he said. “He used to destroy cats. He had good technique and he got after it. He wasn’t the most athletic, but he was relentless, played hard and refused to be blocked.”

Even though it’s tough to evaluate physical positions without wearing pads, Greene liked the progression he saw from Jenkins in OTAs and minicamp, who ran with the first team defense."I think he's coming along,” Greene said. “He's got some stuff to him, he's got some skill to him. ... I like what he brings to the table. He's tuned in."Jenkins joked the best part of not being a rookie is he “doesn’t have to go to rookie meetings all day,” but he recognized his comfort level is noticeably different, something he began to feel at the end of last season.“Even though all the all the older ‘backers in the room still call me a rookie, it’s a great feeling having that first year under your belt,” he said. “I know the defense, I know what the speed is like and I can only try to build upon what I did last year, and try to get better this season.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jenkins-Primed-to-Build-On-Strong-2016-Finish/8f3a8623-6649-4d2f-9708-3e83edc5bd21

Veteran offensive tackle Ben Ijalanaicon-article-link.gif likes the energy of new offensive coordinator John Morton and he hopes the Jets’ new-look offensive line can get rolling quickly out of the gates.“J-Mo. He’s intense,” Ijalana said during the spring. “He’s very fiery and I like that. When we started Phase Two of OTAs, he was running with us, which was kind of bizarre. There are certain plays where he wants you to score, so we all sprint through the line, and he’s hauling butt like the rest of the players. That was kind of interesting to see.”

Ijalana took mostly first-team reps at left tackle in OTAs and minicamp on a line that looks different than what Jets fans are used to. For the first time since 2006, the trenches will not feature D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Nick Mangold. Entering his seventh season, the 27-year-old Ijalana is the second-longest tenured player on the unit.“We’re gelling,” Ijalana said. “We’ve got new guys and more new people than previous years. But at the end of the day, we’re all professionals. The more time we spend together, the more practice we have together, the more reps we take as a unit, the more we’ll congeal. I think we’re well on our way to developing that chemistry.”

Ijalana re-signed with the Jets in March after he started 13 games last season and appeared in all 16 contests. The 6’4”, 322-pounder began the season in a rotation at RT with Brent Qvaleicon-article-link.gif before flipping to LT once Ryan Clady landed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. The Villanova product totaled 868 offensive plays and 925 overall snaps, ranking fourth most on the offense and fifth most on the team respectively.“Personally, work on my craft, technique and take the proper steps to master this offense,” Ijalana said regarding his goals entering training camp. “As an offense line, get that chemistry. We need to start rolling early and quickly. As soon as possible to be a tone setter on our offense. If we get going, then the running backs get going and the passing game gets going.  So as an offensive line, it’s up to us to get things started.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Why-Ben-Ijalana-Thinks-John-Morton-Is-Bizarre/c5b70d26-a4d4-4b87-b280-ad50f11b164c

Archived