Jets OTA’s Day 1

Apparently.

If he's injured AFTER the physical when signing but BEFORE OTAs doesn't that compromise the validity of the contract?

Report: Terrelle Pryor dealing with another ankle injury

Posted by Josh Alper on May 22, 2018, 11:45 AM EDT
gettyimages-856840810-e1527003940958.jpg
Getty Images

Among the players taking part in the first OTA of the Jets offseason is wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, who missed all of last season with a neck injury.

Enunwa isn’t wearing a helmet, so he’s still limited but being on the field is a step up from what Terrelle Pryoris up to on Tuesday. Pryor, who signed with the Jets in March, is not taking part in practice and Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the wideout is recovering from an ankle injury.

Pryor’s 2017 season with Washington also ended because of an ankle injury and he required surgery to repair it before he hit the market as a free agent. Pryor’s lone season in D.C. was largely a bust as he caught just 20 passes in nine games after a 77-catch/1,007-yard 2016 season with the Browns.

Enunwa’s return and Pryor’s signing added to the depth at receiver for the Jets. They also have Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse back after solid 2017 seasons and round out the group with Chad HansenArDarius StewartDevin SmithAndre Roberts and Charone Peake.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Jets' Terrelle Pryor reportedly suffered another ankle injury this offseason 

New York Jets wide receiver Terrelle Pryor suffered an ankle injury this offseason, reports Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News

WHAT IT MEANS:

Pryor wasn't present at Tuesday's OTAs and this explains why. The 28-year-old converted wideout saw his 2017 campaign with the Washington Redskins come to an early end after undergoing November ankle surgery but Mehta didn't clarify if the latest injury is to the same ankle. The Jets signed Pryor to a one-year deal in March. 

numberFire's early models project Pryor to catch 34.6 passes (70.2 targets) for 444.5 yards and 1.91 touchdowns in 2018. 

Source: Manish Mehta
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Have to love the accuracy of the beat writers..:rolleyes:

Newsday:

.The Jets were one of the more penalized teams last season: fifth-most on offense and seventh-most on defense. Cornerback Rashard Robinson was flagged for holding Stewart on a crossing route. When a penalty is called at OTAs, that entire unit does push-ups. The only person who doesn’t is the player who was penalized. The Jets’ defense also was flagged for offside, and a holding call against the offense negated a long McCown completion to Anderson.

the Athlectic:

The Jets were the fifth-most penalized team last year. In the past, Bowles made players run laps any time they committed a pre-snap infraction in practice. This year, any penalty results in push-ups. But it’s not just the guy who committed the penalty who gets down, but everyone on that side of the ball. Including those off the field.  When cornerback Rashard Robinson held receiver ArDarius Stewart, every defender did 10 push-ups. When guard Brian Winters held Leonard Williams, every offensive player did push-ups.

Didn't see anyone else mention this, granted only OTA, Buster ahead of Claiborne on the outside as #2 instead of nickel??

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Top takeaways from Jets' first practice,:Teddy Bridgewater moved well in limited action. Sam Darnold was in full growing-pains mode. WR Terrelle Pryor, who recently injured his surgically repaired ankle, didn't practice. He could miss some time. WR Quincy Enunwa (neck) ran full speed in positional drills, but no team period. CB Buster Skrine was ahead of Mo Claiborne. Rookie TE Chris Herndon showed nice body control on a body-twisting catch in the deep seam.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Apparently.

If he's injured AFTER the physical when signing but BEFORE OTAs doesn't that compromise the validity of the contract?

Report: Terrelle Pryor dealing with another ankle injury

Posted by Josh Alper on May 22, 2018, 11:45 AM EDT
gettyimages-856840810-e1527003940958.jpg
Getty Images

Among the players taking part in the first OTA of the Jets offseason is wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, who missed all of last season with a neck injury.

Enunwa isn’t wearing a helmet, so he’s still limited but being on the field is a step up from what Terrelle Pryoris up to on Tuesday. Pryor, who signed with the Jets in March, is not taking part in practice and Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the wideout is recovering from an ankle injury.

Pryor’s 2017 season with Washington also ended because of an ankle injury and he required surgery to repair it before he hit the market as a free agent. Pryor’s lone season in D.C. was largely a bust as he caught just 20 passes in nine games after a 77-catch/1,007-yard 2016 season with the Browns.

Enunwa’s return and Pryor’s signing added to the depth at receiver for the Jets. They also have Robby Anderson and Jermaine Kearse back after solid 2017 seasons and round out the group with Chad HansenArDarius StewartDevin SmithAndre Roberts and Charone Peake.

I would imagine that if some of the suspicions of it are true that it was unrelated to anything with the Jets, they could put him on the non-football injury list, and I'm fairly certain that wouldn't qualify him for any injury guarantees (if his contract had any).  All of that would of course depend on how serious it really is.  If it's simply a reaggravation that needs a little rest time, they'll probably disregard it.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I would imagine that if some of the suspicions of it are true that it was unrelated to anything with the Jets, they could put him on the non-football injury list, and I'm fairly certain that wouldn't qualify him for any injury guarantees (if his contract had any).  All of that would of course depend on how serious it really is.  If it's simply a reaggravation that needs a little rest time, they'll probably disregard it.

What if the Jets passed him on his physical (which seems they did since they signed him)? 

23 hours ago, Paradis said:

I wonder, in theory, what it would take to get Devin Smith healthy. He's immune to Time - so it must be some other compelling methodology. 

starshiptroopers-tank-02.png?resize=768,

the "healing chamber" from Starship Troopers

reactions from browsing the day 1 thread

- Even if they are planning to trade Teddy, grow a pair and carry 2 QBs like every other NFL team. Put the emergency QB on the taxi squad. Which is a fine place for Hack btw. If another team picks him up they are doing the Jets a favor. 

-With Q looking somewhat slow, Pryor hurt, Robby is going to be fed. misdemeanor, word of the day. 

-Spencer Long is getting 6 mil I hope the Jets dr.s know what they are doing. The dude snapped his quad tendon.

-Mauldin and Henson looking jacked is good news. Both could contribute a ton, even tho we've all written them off.  

-Skrine over Claiborne is not that surprising. Maybe it's a wake up call. Trumaine Johnson was the most underrated signing this or maybe any team made in the offseason. Claiborne can be good he can also be awful. 

-the everyone doing pushups thing and one field thing are both good. make them all accountable and turn up the heat. The strength coach that never repeats himself is also interesting. Perhaps the Coaching is developing too 

OH MY GOD I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER 

The Kansas City Chiefs earned plenty of praise when handing the starting quarterback job to Patrick Mahomes this offseason after just one start.

Despite the universal acclaim, the young Padawan still has several steps to take before becoming a Jedi Knight.

Andy Reid and the Chiefs coaching staff have thrown the kitchen sink at their new starter during offseason practices. During Thursday's OTA session open to the media, Mahomes struggled, completing just 4 of 15 passes with an interception in a full-squad session. He went 7 for 12 with an INT in 7-on-7 drills, per ESPN's Adam 

"[Coaches] have really tried to throw a lot at the whole offense," Mahomes said Thursday, brushing off his struggles, via the team's official website. "If you want to make mistakes you make them now. You don't want to make those mistakes in the game so we throw a lot now so when we get to the game it's a lot easier."Normally we'd scoff at tracking completion percentage and interceptions during OTAs. In the Chiefs' case, however, it's instructive in how much the coaching staff is putting on Mahomes' plate, knowing he must run the offense at full capacity come September if K.C. is to return to the playoffs.

Reid likewise dismissed Mahomes' practice struggles as part of the process of getting the new quarterback up to speed.

"No, and I've mentioned this to you guys before when Alex [Smith] was here and so on, these are camps where you want to test," Reid said when asked if the interceptions were worrisome. "We throw in a lot of new stuff so you want to test what you can get away with in these camps, so you're going to have interceptions. That doesn't bother me. If you repeat it, now that's a problem but you want to test it and see what you can get away with. That's all a part of the way this thing works."

Mahomes garnered nearly widespread praise for his singular outing in 2017, in which he completed 22 of 33 passes for 284 yards with one interception. The big-armed quarterback showed some 'wow' throws and flashed the traits that caused the Chiefs to leap up in the first round to select him last year. Ultimately, it was that game that made Reid and the Chiefscomfortable transitioning from Smith to the youngster.

Offseason practices aren't used only for testing a young QB's limits. Coaches also need to discern what Mahomes does well to tailor the playbook to his skill set.

"I want him to be exposed to things and that's what you do," Reid said. "Then you work with it and put your personality on these different things. Try to find the things that he's best at, work the offense around him like we did with Alex. We worked the offense around Alex and built it around him and now it's this kid's turn and you have to kind of feel that part out. He's gonna keep firing and that's all we want, and learning, it's a great time for that. That's what this is all about right here."

Mahomes' struggles in the spring shouldn't be taken as a precursor to problems in autumn. They should simply be used as a reminder -- a soft brake on the hype train, if you will -- that we shouldn't assume the transition from Smith to Mahomes won't have some bumps along the way.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Larz said:

OH MY GOD I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER 

The Kansas City Chiefs earned plenty of praise when handing the starting quarterback job to Patrick Mahomes this offseason after just one start.

Despite the universal acclaim, the young Padawan still has several steps to take before becoming a Jedi Knight.

Andy Reid and the Chiefs coaching staff have thrown the kitchen sink at their new starter during offseason practices. During Thursday's OTA session open to the media, Mahomes struggled, completing just 4 of 15 passes with an interception in a full-squad session. He went 7 for 12 with an INT in 7-on-7 drills, per ESPN's Adam 

"[Coaches] have really tried to throw a lot at the whole offense," Mahomes said Thursday, brushing off his struggles, via the team's official website. "If you want to make mistakes you make them now. You don't want to make those mistakes in the game so we throw a lot now so when we get to the game it's a lot easier."Normally we'd scoff at tracking completion percentage and interceptions during OTAs. In the Chiefs' case, however, it's instructive in how much the coaching staff is putting on Mahomes' plate, knowing he must run the offense at full capacity come September if K.C. is to return to the playoffs.

Reid likewise dismissed Mahomes' practice struggles as part of the process of getting the new quarterback up to speed.

"No, and I've mentioned this to you guys before when Alex [Smith] was here and so on, these are camps where you want to test," Reid said when asked if the interceptions were worrisome. "We throw in a lot of new stuff so you want to test what you can get away with in these camps, so you're going to have interceptions. That doesn't bother me. If you repeat it, now that's a problem but you want to test it and see what you can get away with. That's all a part of the way this thing works."

Mahomes garnered nearly widespread praise for his singular outing in 2017, in which he completed 22 of 33 passes for 284 yards with one interception. The big-armed quarterback showed some 'wow' throws and flashed the traits that caused the Chiefs to leap up in the first round to select him last year. Ultimately, it was that game that made Reid and the Chiefscomfortable transitioning from Smith to the youngster.

Offseason practices aren't used only for testing a young QB's limits. Coaches also need to discern what Mahomes does well to tailor the playbook to his skill set.

"I want him to be exposed to things and that's what you do," Reid said. "Then you work with it and put your personality on these different things. Try to find the things that he's best at, work the offense around him like we did with Alex. We worked the offense around Alex and built it around him and now it's this kid's turn and you have to kind of feel that part out. He's gonna keep firing and that's all we want, and learning, it's a great time for that. That's what this is all about right here."

Mahomes' struggles in the spring shouldn't be taken as a precursor to problems in autumn. They should simply be used as a reminder -- a soft brake on the hype train, if you will -- that we shouldn't assume the transition from Smith to Mahomes won't have some bumps along the way.

I debated whether to post that bit a news from KC, but decided it'd be better to let the sad schadenfreude Jets fans expose themselves and their inner paranoia & doubts regarding OUR QB. LOL. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I debated whether to post that bit a news from KC, but decided it'd be better to let the sad schadenfreude Jets fans expose themselves and their inner paranoia & doubts regarding OUR QB. LOL. :lol:

Interesting how the KC media tells the story vs the Jets beat writers 

The Jets beat writers didn't panic, but they didn't give much of an explanation either 

I have to say though I'm not looking forward to another summer of practice stats......