Hackenberg “Frustrated” by Past Handling, “Excited” Moving Forward

JetNation

IMG_5917.jpg

On the first day of full team OTA’s, Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg shared a few thoughts that are sure to ruffle some feathers at 1 Jets drive.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, while speaking with the media about his time with Gang Green through his first two seasons, Hackenberg didn’t have a very flattering take in regards to how things have unfolded.

“There were some times when I threw it really good during my first two years here,” Hackenberg said. “That was the frustrating part for me, the ups and downs and not knowing why — does that make sense? — and not really getting any information from anybody on how to fix that and how to address it.”

While much of what Hackenberg said could be a kid voicing some frustration over not playing, but to suggest there was no communication from the coaching staff isn’t a great look for Todd Bowles’ staff.  To make matters worse, Hackenberg said he was excited that “somebody stepped up” to help him in the form of former Jets quarterbacks coach David Lee, who introduced Hackenberg to QB guru Jeff Christensen.

Hackenberg and Christensen have been working together for two months, leading Hackenberg to say he has a “solid foundation for the first time in a long time” as you can see in the video below from Dennis Waszak Jr. of the Associated Press.

Cimini goes on to point out the fact that Hackenberg contradicted head coach Todd Bowles who said earlier this off-season that he was unaware of the quarterback’s plan to work on his throwing mechanics.  “Everyone has been aware of the plan since January”, claimed the former Penn State quarterback according to Cimini.

Hackenberg’s time with the Jets has been a complete disaster up to this point as head coach Todd Bowles hasn’t felt the need to allow him to play a single regular season snap despite having plenty of chances to send him out there to dip his toe in the water.

As frustrated as Jets fans may be by Bowles’ decision to keep Hackenberg on the bench, it would be disingenuous to say Hackenberg has been any better that what you might expect from an undrafted free agent project QB in his limited pre-season action over two years.

With first-round draft pick Sam Darnold in the fold, Hackenberg is hanging on to his roster spot by a thread and he knows he’s not starting any football games this season.  Could this be an attempt to force the organization’s hand to cut ties, or is he sincerely being candid and looking to move on with a positive attitude?

Chime in here and let us know what you think.

The post Hackenberg “Frustrated” by Past Handling, “Excited” Moving Forward appeared first on NY Jets News.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jsDUG11J8OU

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could just be damage control by Hack for his poor preparation and lack of effort on his part, but also waters the seed (that has been in my head anyway), about our CS's ability to develop a young QB. Furthermore, is Bowles lying about not knowing Hack was working on his mechanics off season? Hack says everyone knew. I assume the HC would be part of everyone, no? Something is not right here.

32 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

what a kick in the nuts it would be if Hackenberg actually looks like a good QB with some decent coaching.

Todd Bowles is an Idiot this is more than a few times he seems to be totally out of the loop  If Hack made the team aware he was practicing with a QB coach how in the hell could Todd Bowles not know that Not to mention how could Todd Bowles have a QB on his roster and never give the Kid a chance to play in a real game 

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Todd Bowles is an Idiot this is more than a few times he seems to be totally out of the loop  If Hack made the team aware he was practicing with a QB coach how in the hell could Todd Bowles not know that Not to mention how could Todd Bowles have a QB on his roster and never give the Kid a chance to play in a real game 

Agree on everything. 

You guys did see him play in the preseason last year, right?  He sucked.  They gave him a chance to win the job and he fell on his face.  He was 21st in yards, but 5th in attempts.  All the guys ahead of him in attempts had at least 80 yards more.  Matt ******* Simms had 3 more attempts and 612 yards compared to 372.  One of the only guys that was worse?  Connor Cook.  Guess that is why the Raiders gave him a shot. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

You guys did see him play in the preseason last year, right?  He sucked.  They gave him a chance to win the job and he fell on his face.  He was 21st in yards, but 5th in attempts.  All the guys ahead of him in attempts had at least 80 yards more.  Matt ******* Simms had 3 more attempts and 612 yards compared to 372.  One of the only guys that was worse?  Connor Cook.  Guess that is why the Raiders gave him a shot. 

1 preseason game was hardly an audition, did you see some of the games Ryan Fitzpatrick play namely the 6 INT game against the Chiefs. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So if the Jets start Darnold in the PS with guys who will be bagging groceries in a few weeks and he sucks does he sit on the bench for two seasons.  No 3 PS games was never a true chance for Hack , his chance ended when he was drafted into an organization that had no clue how to develop a QB. Hopefully Bates and Rick Dennison have a plan for Sam as I have no faith in our HC. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

1 preseason game was hardly an audition, did you see some of the games Ryan Fitzpatrick play namely the 6 INT game against the Chiefs. 

1 preseason game?  He got over 20 attempts in 3 of the games.  In the other he played a full half week 2 against the Lions and looked like he had no idea what the protection schemes were.  He was constantly sacked and fumbled.  If he only played "1 preseason game" how did he manage to throw 2 INTs and fumble 5 times?  He looked lost and Petty outplayed him by a mile.  Think about that. 

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So if the Jets start Darnold in the PS with guys who will be bagging groceries in a few weeks and he sucks does he sit on the bench for two seasons.  No 3 PS games was never a true chance for Hack , his chance ended when he was drafted into an organization that had no clue how to develop a QB. Hopefully Bates and Rick Dennison have a plan for Sam as I have no faith in our HC. 

He started 2 of the games and he was outplayed by Bryce Petty by a country mile.  Bryce Petty came from a spread offense and rarely took snaps from under center, but Hackenberg deserves a 3rd redshirt season?   

They changed offensive coordinators specifically to help him.  That is why he was moved ahead of Petty in camp after playing worse all of 2016.

Maybe the change of scenery will do him well, but Gruden doesn't have such a great track record with young QBs.  Most of his success came with vets, and older vets at that - Gannon, Johnson, Garcia.  

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Could just be damage control by Hack for his poor preparation and lack of effort on his part, but also waters the seed (that has been in my head anyway), about our CS's ability to develop a young QB. Furthermore, is Bowles lying about not knowing Hack was working on his mechanics off season? Hack says everyone knew. I assume the HC would be part of everyone, no? Something is not right here.

bowles knew.  i don't have any doubt about that.  but there could be something in the cba that the jets might have been afraid of and decided to say they didn't know.  at least the trade gets rid of the qb log jam.  hack gets another chance and everyone should be happy.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

what a kick in the nuts it would be if Hackenberg actually looks like a good QB with some decent coaching.

Is there any doubt that this will happen?  Btw, a bigger kick in the nuts would be if Hack succeeds, Bridgewater succeeds and then leaves as a FA and Darnold is a bust.  I could easily see the 1st 2 happening but I am optimistic about Darnold (though I do want Bowles gone yesterday!)

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

As your profile pic says: "Fire Bowles"

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

Another indictment on Bowles, why do us Jet fans always end up with idiot HC’s? What did we do to deaerve this?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't know but he's still here for some reason.  He'd better not screw up Darnold.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

you’re gonna feel really dumb when the Raiders coaches make him good

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1 preseason game?  He got over 20 attempts in 3 of the games.  In the other he played a full half week 2 against the Lions and looked like he had no idea what the protection schemes were.  He was constantly sacked and fumbled.  If he only played "1 preseason game" how did he manage to throw 2 INTs and fumble 5 times?  He looked lost and Petty outplayed him by a mile.  Think about that. 

Todd Bowles never gave the kid a fair chance including practice reps. 

I fear for Sam Darnold under HC Todd Bowles. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles never gave the kid a fair chance including practice reps. 

I fear for Sam Darnold under HC Todd Bowles. 

Bryce Petty was by far the worst qb in the entire nfl the last 4 games of the season. We were out of the playoffs, yet Bowles was scared to play hackenberg?. It’s mind boggling the decisions that guy makes. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bryce Petty was by far the worst qb in the entire nfl the last 4 games of the season. We were out of the playoffs, yet Bowles was scared to play hackenberg?. It’s mind boggling the decisions that guy makes. 

Agree 

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Exactly right.  It was absolutely ridiculous that Bowles couldn't have thrown Hack in there.  There was absolutely NOTHING to lose.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I watched almost every snap of Hack's PSU career. 

You dudes who are waiting for Hack to turn into a decent QB after some "good coaching" are going to be waiting a long, long time. 

Then you obviously saw his Freshman season under O'Brien. 

Archived