Hackenberg “Frustrated” by Past Handling, “Excited” Moving Forward

JetNation

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Bowles IS an idiot but that doesn't change the fact that Hack just sux.

This. We can't hang Hack's suckitutude on Bowles. It's all Macc. Hack should never have been drafted. It was reported that some teams rated Hack as an undrafted FA.

Macc majorly screwed up, being spooked by O'Brien to waste a 2nd rounder on him. People forget that Hack sucked his last 2 yrs in college. His freshman yr was an anomaly. No amount of coaching Bowles could've done would've changed it.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I watched almost every snap of Hack's PSU career. 

You dudes who are waiting for Hack to turn into a decent QB after some "good coaching" are going to be waiting a long, long time. 

Jets message board staple - the myth of the All-Pro who is stuck on the bench. “If ____ just had a chance to play in real live games!”

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

This. We can't hang Hack's suckitutude on Bowles. It's all Macc. Hack should never have been drafted. It was reported that some teams rated Hack as an undrafted FA.

Macc majorly screwed up, being spooked by O'Brien to waste a 2nd rounder on him. People forget that Hack sucked his last 2 yrs in college. His freshman yr was an anomaly. No amount of coaching Bowles could've done would've changed it.

No more of an anomaly then his 3 PS games. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

bowles knew.  i don't have any doubt about that.  but there could be something in the cba that the jets might have been afraid of and decided to say they didn't know.  at least the trade gets rid of the qb log jam.  hack gets another chance and everyone should be happy.

there was nothing for him here.  but he has the fond memory of tutelage by Todd Bowles

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Hack had his ps opportunities. 

Petty, who sucks, outplayed him. 

End of story. Good luck hack

Totally missing the point.

Hack was 22 years old last year.  It doesn't matter if he sucked or not, the coaches are supposed to COACH him and TRY to make him better.  They're not even working with the kid a year after they drafted him?  That's pathetic.

13 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Totally missing the point.

Hack was 22 years old last year.  It doesn't matter if he sucked or not, the coaches are supposed to COACH him and TRY to make him better.  They're not even working with the kid a year after they drafted him?  That's pathetic.

I dont think they weren’t working with him. He just never got better. But it was a joke not playing the kid at least 1 game after McCown went down. So what if Petty beat him out in preseason. Petty also put up the worst numbers from a qb in nfl history after replacing  McCown. What did we owe Petty to let him continue to embarrass the jets ? How could hackenberg possibly be worse ? Why not give him 1 game to see anyway. Stupid.

42 minutes ago, SMC said:

Still don’t understand how O’Brien PASSING on Hack in the 2nd spooked Macc... but I also read that story 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles never gave the kid a fair chance including practice reps. 

I fear for Sam Darnold under HC Todd Bowles. 

And when they drafted him, they said he would take 1-2 years before he was ready.  Then they ignored him year 1 and seemingly didn’t spend much time with him year 2.  

Basically they invested a 2nd rounder in a guy who they knew needed some help but didn’t give it to him.  Then they wonder why he didn’t succeed here. 

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And when they drafted him, they said he would take 1-2 years before he was ready.  Then they ignored him year 1 and seemingly didn’t spend much time with him year 2.  

Basically they invested a 2nd rounder in a guy who they knew needed some help but didn’t give it to him.  Then they wonder why he didn’t succeed here. 

I think the plan changed when he was throwing ducks at reporters' heads in practice.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

You guys are comical. In what world is it Todd Bowles fault that Hack sucks?

Oh no, it’s not the fault of the guy who DRAFTED HIM IN THE SECOND ROUND. Nope it’s the coach, he should’ve turned Hack into a great QB! Lol

Nobody said anything about turning him into a great QB, but what did Todd Bowles do to help the kid even have a chance? Was it the 3 OC’s in 3 years? Was it the ignoring his mechanics? The kid was a project, everyone knew it. If there was work put into him and this, fine, but it’s a joke how badly he was handled

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This.

its not rocket science really. Unless people expected his madden rating to go up magically on its own

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Exactly Macc and Bowles handed the QB job to loser journeyman QB's who have gotten us nowhere fast. 

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Nobody said anything about turning him into a great QB, but what did Todd Bowles do to help the kid even have a chance? Was it the 3 OC’s in 3 years? Was it the ignoring his mechanics? The kid was a project, everyone knew it. If there was work put into him and this, fine, but it’s a joke how badly he was handled

Fitzpatrick and McCown were supposed to be mentoring.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Fair point, Bowles put him in a QB dream position to succeed, and the kid just couldn’t take advantage of the great situation Walsh, errr, I mean Bowles, put him in. Lol 

Coach Todd Bowles said Hackenberg's remarks had no bearing on the trade decision.

"We had one too many (quarterbacks) to get all of them reps," Bowles said. "We just want to go with the three quarterbacks we have and let these guys battle it out."

He was referring to Josh McCownTeddy Bridgewater and rookie Sam Darnold. The Jets shopped Hackenberg during the draft after selecting Darnold with the No. 3 overall pick, a source said.

Recently, the Jets released Bryce Petty, another failed draft pick of the Mike Maccagnan regime.

Bowles offered no theories as to why it didn't work with Hackenberg.

"I can't answer that fully," he said. "For some players it takes a while to get going. Some go to Canada, some go to different teams, some do different type of stuff. We did everything we could to help him as best we could."

"I like the talent he had," Bowles said of Hackenberg. "Obviously, it didn't cultivate here. Sometimes it takes a team or two or three to find your spot. Hopefully, he does that."

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

He became expendable this off-season. He is going to be a Mark against Mac but at least Mac moved on from something he realized was not working.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

I've been a Macc defender, but this is not moving on from something that wasn't working.  This is moving on from yet another QB that he drafted that was not working.  So is it Macc, or Bowles?

if it happens a third time, they both need to be gone.  Either they don't know how to pick QBs, or they don't know how to develop them, or both.  Too many wasted picks and we still don't have even one area on this team that is above average.

7 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I've been a Macc defender, but this is not moving on from something that wasn't working.  This is moving on from yet another QB that he drafted that was not working.  So is it Macc, or Bowles?

if it happens a third time, they both need to be gone.  Either they don't know how to pick QBs, or they don't know how to develop them, or both.  Too many wasted picks and we still don't have even one area on this team that is above average.

You can blame Mac for drafting hackenberg. You can’t blame him for drafting Sam Darnold. Nobody has a crystal ball to know Sam Darnold will live up to his very high hype. It’s a no brainer, you have to take him. I can’t give Mac much credit for drafting the best qb prospect in years. It’s the non top 10 picks you really have to hold him accountable for. If he doesn’t give support for darnold he will be gone. Todd Bowles doesn’t get to fire another OC without also being shown the door. These guys are on the hot seat, despite their little extensions. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You can blame Mac for drafting hackenberg. You can’t blame him for drafting Sam Darnold. Nobody has a crystal ball to know Sam Darnold will live up to his very high hype. It’s a no brainer, you have to take him. I can’t give Mac much credit for drafting the best qb prospect in years. It’s the non top 10 picks you really have to hold him accountable for. If he doesn’t give support for darnold he will be gone. Todd Bowles doesn’t get to fire another OC without also being shown the door. These guys are on the hot seat, despite their little extensions. 

And they should be.  Maybe I was later to come to the realization that these guys do suck.  You're 100% correct, any moron can draft Sam Darnold, tell me what else they've done in 3 years to develop this team into a long term winner.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles never gave the kid a fair chance including practice reps. 

I fear for Sam Darnold under HC Todd Bowles. 

Jets again give Christian Hackenberg most practice reps | Day 13 QB report (8/15/17)  

Give me a ******* break.  We were all here.  They did everything they could to let him win the job last preseason.  

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bryce Petty was by far the worst qb in the entire nfl the last 4 games of the season. We were out of the playoffs, yet Bowles was scared to play hackenberg?. It’s mind boggling the decisions that guy makes. 

Bryce Petty was by far the worst QB in the entire NFL, yet he outplayed Hackenberg by a wide margin 2 straight years in camp.  I think Bowles was right to be scared. 

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Hack had his ps opportunities. 

Petty, who sucks, outplayed him. 

End of story. Good luck hack

+1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Give me a ******* break.  We were all here.  They did everything they could to let him win the job last preseason.  

No they actually didn't when the season was lost and Petty was playing like sh*t Todd Bowles should have given Hack a start or two. 

Their qb flops were a late second and a fourth round pick who were both projects. Darnold is the number 3 overall if he flops our entire staff will be gone.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No they actually didn't when the season was lost and Petty was playing like sh*t Todd Bowles should have given Hack a start or two. 

They actually didn't what?  I just posted a link that he was getting nearly double the reps of Petty. Now it is because he wasn't getting starts after the season was lost and Petty was playing like sh*t? The ******* kid looked horrible. There is literally no reason to think that he was going to play as well as Petty.  None.  

14 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Sorry to inject a positive note here, but maybe this is testimony to Bridgewater's progress and maybe next year we can let go of McCown and let Darnold and Bridgewater be 1 and 2.

No it’s not they found a team dumb enough to finally actually offer them something in exchange for Hack

This is all about saving face 

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Their qb flops were a late second and a fourth round pick who were both projects. Darnold is the number 3 overall if he flops our entire staff will be gone.

I would venture to say if we don't see even one star emerge from Macc's 4 drafts this year, the both need to be gone. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bryce Petty was by far the worst QB in the entire NFL, yet he outplayed Hackenberg by a wide margin 2 straight years in camp.  I think Bowles was right to be scared. 

Lol of course you don’t expect him to have a good camp his rookie yr. He second wasn’t much better but you still don’t know until you throw him in the game. I think Bowles was expecting A LOT more than Petty, but not everybody plays real games same as they do in half speed pre-season. 

Either way is camp results mean a qb can’t improve at all during the yr ? I agree with you petty deserved to play first. But once it was established he was total junk after 3 games, you throw hackenberg the last game. 

Bowles thinking is just messed up all around. So he still believed Petty gave him the best chance to win I guess ? Say he does pull 1 out his arse and we win the last game. How much further we moving back in the draft ? Maybe colts don’t want to trade back that far. Would definitely cost our #1 next yr too if they did. There would be a line from route 3 to kick Todd Bowles in the nuts for a “ moral victory “ if it meant us losing Sam Darnold. Lol

58 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick and McCown were supposed to be mentoring.

Which brings up another question. What kind of NFL head coach needs a QB on his roster making 10m to coach his young QB's? This isnt just about Hack either. Petty was basically the worst and most unprepared Jets QB I have ever witnessed. I am not being dramatic either. McElroy, Bollinger, Bubby Brister. Take your pick, all better and more prepared to play in a game. I know for a fact that Petty is not worse than some of those guys. There is no way Petty should have looked that bad. Rick Mirer circa 1999 looked better. No one on any NFL roster could possibly have looked worse than Petty did when playing. While we are at it, can someone please name a decent QB that McCown has "mentored"? Seems to me everywhere this guy goes is a disaster.

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol of course you don’t expect him to have a good camp his rookie yr. He second wasn’t much better but you still don’t know until you throw him in the game. I think Bowles was expecting A LOT more than Petty, but not everybody plays real games same as they do in half speed pre-season. 

Either way is camp results mean a qb can’t improve at all during the yr ? I agree with you petty deserved to play first. But once it was established he was total junk after 3 games, you throw hackenberg the last game. 

Bowles thinking is just messed up all around. So he still believed Petty gave him the best chance to win I guess ? Say he does pull 1 out his arse and we win the last game. How much further we moving back in the draft ? Maybe colts don’t want to trade back that far. Would definitely cost our #1 next yr too if they did. There would be a line from route 3 to kick Todd Bowles in the nuts for a “ moral victory “ if it meant us losing Sam Darnold. Lol

Why are you lol'ing?  I was talking about camp in 2017.  They switched offenses specifically to his advantage rather than Petty's and installed him ahead of Petty based completely on that and draft positionot. Not merit.  They gave him tons of reps and let him play extra in the preseason games, including starting week 2 and week 3 (when starters usually play the most)  He promptly sucked his way back to inactive on gameday.

Now Hackenberg is a "gamer"?  He played in camp like he played in college.  Why are we supposed to believe he was going to be better in real games?  I get the whole idea that we didn't have anything to lose, but the twisted thought that this kid's lack of success was because he didn't get a fair shake is a joke. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why are you lol'ing?  I was talking about camp in 2017.  They switched offenses specifically to his advantage rather than Petty's and installed him ahead of Petty based completely on that and draft positionot. N without any merit.  He promptly sucked his way back to inactive on gameday.

Now Hackenberg is a "gamer"?  He played in camp like he played in college.  Why are we supposed to believe he was going to be better in real games?  I get the whole idea that we didn't have anything to lose, but the twisted thought that this kid's lack of success was because he didn't get a fair shake is a joke. 

I’m loling becuse you are making me “ Laugh Out loud.  “ You are justifying petty deserved to stay in the game, play every week when he looked as lost as mark Sanchez vs Buffalo in 09. When you are that bad after 3 games it’s next man up. You don’t say “ well Bryce had a bad but not terrible camp, he will pull through.” It’s not as if we were playing for anything. Petty was a goner no matter what. 

Archived