Hackenberg “Frustrated” by Past Handling, “Excited” Moving Forward

JetNation

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I mean I want the kid to get a chance somewhere else but let's be real, what did you expect him to say? He is trying to save the little career he has left. He had a personal QB guru worked with him and after all the positive things he said then and all the positive things he has said since NOW that he has ANOTHER guy helping him he is saying that he never had a clue before?

Right, I got you, not your fault......I have been rooting for the kid since he got drafted but to sit there and start blaming everyone else when you looked like shyt every chance you put on cleats is disgusting.

Omg.    I make this post and I am hidden in a New York min.   ?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What is the better part of 4 years.

2 years on a team stripped of talent by a scandal and playing for a HC and system not suited to his style.

2 years on a team who basically had no interest in developing a QB , who needed tons of development.

I'm not saying Hack would have ever become a decent starter , he may not have even have become a viable backup , but it sure would have been nice to at least find out.

I personally think he handled the situation remarkably well considering how he was handled , of course no one really knows what went on behind the scenes and he could have been a grade A Ahole for all we know. But a kid who stuck with PSU when he could have easily bolted doesn't come off as being that type of person.

What do you think practice is for? He had plenty of snaps with the 1's in preseason. He couldn't do it. It is what it is. Why do people think after sucking in the pre-season and in practice, he was going to magically become a competent, or even less than terrible, QB if only given the opportunity to take snaps during a regular season game. It is laughable logic.

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What do you think practice is for? He had plenty of snaps with the 1's in preseason. He couldn't do it. It is what it is. Why do people think after sucking in the pre-season and in practice, he was going to magically become a competent, or even less than terrible, QB if only given the opportunity to take snaps during a regular season game. It is laughable logic.

I agree. Hack had his chance last year and he failed to take advantage. BUT with that said, would have been nice to see him in live game action once the season was over when McCown went down. But I really think the Jets were trying to save themselves the embarrassment as much as possible. 

58 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Omg.    I make this post and I am banned in a New York min.   

Not a ban, but I did hide the post.  Please modify yours.  I think we can avoid even spelling-modified versions of some words and still make our point.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Honestly, I'd be frustrated if I were Hack too.  Everyone knew he sucked and needed a ton of work.  He was drafted with a "plan" and apparently that plan was to just to let him sit around and pick his nose.

That's on the Jets. 

Exactly.

30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How many snaps did he really get with the true 1's in practice or PS - very minimal.

Why-  because coaching and development of a player's techniques/mechanics can go a long long way , doubly so for a QB.

Its like sending an amateur on a golf course and expecting them to hit the ball like Bubba Watson.  The amateur can never match that skill level but w/o proper instruction and techniques coaching he has absolutely no chance.

The reported "fact" that the Jets didn't work on Hack's mechanics plays a large role in his failure here.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

How many snaps did he really get with the true 1's in practice or PS - very minimal.

This is bullsh*t.  He had more snaps with the #1s in the 2017 preseason than anyone.  He started games 2 and 3 and played the first half - and sucked.  McCown started the first week against the Titans and led a quick 75 yard TD drive.  Hackenberg played into the 3rd quarter.  Week 4 McCown started and played a series or two and those were all the snaps he took all preseason.  I am not sure who came in to relieve McCown in week 4, but it was already academic at that point.  The team did not keep snaps from the youth to get McCown ready.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is bullsh*t.  He had more snaps with the #1s in the 2017 preseason than anyone.  He started games 2 and 3 and played the first half - and sucked.  McCown started the first week against the Titans and led a quick 75 yard TD drive.  Hackenberg played into the 3rd quarter.  Week 4 McCown started and played a series or two and those were all the snaps he took all preseason.  I am not sure who came in to relieve McCown in week 4, but it was already academic at that point.  The team did not keep snaps from the youth to get McCown ready.

Again you'll never agree but that's a very small sample size.  To be honest I don't really care anymore because he's now gone. But I just can't stand all the chest thumping by the fans who simply believe Hack sucked because he didn't play.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

What is the better part of 4 years.

2 years on a team stripped of talent by a scandal and playing for a HC and system not suited to his style.

2 years on a team who basically had no interest in developing a QB , who needed tons of development.

I'm not saying Hack would have ever become a decent starter , he may not have even have become a viable backup , but it sure would have been nice to at least find out.

I personally think he handled the situation remarkably well considering how he was handled , of course no one really knows what went on behind the scenes and he could have been a grade A Ahole for all we know. But a kid who stuck with PSU when he could have easily bolted doesn't come off as being that type of person.

I'd have rather seen Hack play the 2017 season than see what we saw with Josh McCown.

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again you'll never agree but that's a very small sample size.  

But again, I think his point was that he still had more first team reps than anyone else. So, relatively speaking, he had a lot of reps. 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd have rather seen Hack play the 2017 season than see what we saw with Josh McCown.

I get why you feel this way, but it's just not realistic. Bowles had an obligation to the rest of the players (and his coaching staff) to play a guy who at least gave the team a chance to compete. Hackenberg was a disaster last year and would have been a league-wide embarrassment. You can't start a guy like that. You just can't. If you want the rest of the team to play hard, you have to be able to say to them (with some semblance of honesty) that you are starting the guy who "gives us the best chance to win."

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again you'll never agree but that's a very small sample size.  To be honest I don't really care anymore because he's now gone. But I just can't stand all the chest thumping by the fans who simply believe Hack sucked because he didn't play.

I agree completely with your second sentence.  I assume you think I am thumping my chest?  I don't believe that Hack sucked because he didn't play.  That seems to be what you are saying - he wasn't given a chance.  I believe that he didn't play because he sucked. 

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They actually didn't what?  I just posted a link that he was getting nearly double the reps of Petty. Now it is because he wasn't getting starts after the season was lost and Petty was playing like sh*t? The ******* kid looked horrible. There is literally no reason to think that he was going to play as well as Petty.  None.  

Petty sucked and the season was lost so why not start Hackenberg we had nothing to lose and everything to gain if he actually played decent maybe we could have gotten more than a 7th rounder for him. 

17 hours ago, RSJ said:

Which brings up another question. What kind of NFL head coach needs a QB on his roster making 10m to coach his young QB's? This isnt just about Hack either. Petty was basically the worst and most unprepared Jets QB I have ever witnessed. I am not being dramatic either. McElroy, Bollinger, Bubby Brister. Take your pick, all better and more prepared to play in a game. I know for a fact that Petty is not worse than some of those guys. There is no way Petty should have looked that bad. Rick Mirer circa 1999 looked better. No one on any NFL roster could possibly have looked worse than Petty did when playing. While we are at it, can someone please name a decent QB that McCown has "mentored"? Seems to me everywhere this guy goes is a disaster.

Exactly my point I've been trying make to others Todd Bowles is clueless when to comes to QB's and other stuff. 

Mike Maccagnan drags in the old sh*t bags and Todd Bowles starts them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:35 AM, Jetsplayer21 said:

It was a TERRIBLE pick. Everyone knew it at the time. I was listening to show last night saying he would have went in the 4th or even 5 th round had mac not plunked him in middle of 2nd.

Mac is a very bad drafter. Anybody can pick Sam Darnold, or the #1 BPA guy with the 6th pick 2 years in a row. He has been horrible when you have to actually use skill. He should be stripped of drafting decisions, especially after he just flipped a mid 2nd for a conditional 7th without the guy taking the field. 

Agree on Hack being picked in the 2nd when he was a 4th rounder by talent. Terrible move by Mac.

Buuuut you can't have it both ways . You can't criticize for a bad pick then dismiss it when he hits solid on a pick.  You're "anybody can pick Darnold" is BS. Gotta give Mac SOME credit, he moved us up to 3rd to pick Darnold, let's not forget that.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Agree on Hack being picked in the 2nd when he was a 4th rounder by talent. Terrible move by Mac.

Buuuut you can't have it both ways . You can't criticize for a bad pick then dismiss it when he hits solid on a pick.  You're "anybody can pick Darnold" is BS. Gotta give Mac SOME credit, he moved us up to 3rd to pick Darnold, let's not forget that.

ALL the picks by Macc are BAD until his team WINS a Super Bowl 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

ALL the picks by Macc are BAD until this team WINS a Super Bowl 

Not gonna say anything because you get "nailed" on here enough  judging by your rep points. I'll just ...... :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Not gonna say anything because you get "nailed" on here enough. I'll just ...... :rolleyes:

The NFL is about winning a Super Bowl unless thats changed and I missed it. 

Nailed by nobody why because they disagree with my OPINION. 

There is NO EXCUSE in FOOTBALL. 

Don't like what I post put me on IGNORE. 

56 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

So, you want to give him credit for a pick with zero NFL statistics?  On June 1, 2016, there were posts and articles acting like he had made some kind of master stroke by drafting Hackenberg and being willing to develop him. 

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, you want to give him credit for a pick with zero NFL statistics?  On June 1, 2016, there were posts and articles acting like he had made some kind of master stroke by drafting Hackenberg and being willing to develop him. 

HUH ?? Did you miss the part where I said it was a terrible pick ? I despised the pick the second he made it. I figured he only saw Hack's freahman year at Penn St.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am referring to Darnold.  

Sorry , when you mentioned ZERO NFL stats I immediately thought you were referring to Hack. lol

Yeah I'll give him credit for Darnold with the same # of NFL stats as Hack. I think he was easily the consensus top QB in the draft.  I know from being on this board 12 yrs. that if he's a bust that they'll unfairly crucify Macc for it. Those that are praising the Darnold pick will be leading the lynch mob.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Wait what ??‍♂️? what solid pick did he hit on? Darnold ? Let’s hope! But nothing proven yet. I would not even dare blame Mac if darnold turns out to be a bust. Because that would be bs hindsight. Only the browns are dumb enough to pass on darnold. My 4 yr old nephew would have picked darnold. Should he be gm ? lol. I’m the type of guy who says if you pick a qb in the second round Who many thought would be there in the 4th, and had lot of issues. You better get it right ?‍♂️?. I hate BPA, but Mac says he lives and dies by it but then hugely reaches for a qb. Why can’t he reach for a edge rusher ??‍♂️?

As SB Nation's Levi Damien revealed, Hackenberg's day involved back-to-back brutal plays, the first of which was him being "sacked" (they can't actually hit quarterbacks in practice) by Bruce Irvin. The team's newest quarterback then followed that up by tossing a pick-six to cornerback Rashaan Melvin.

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

No he didn’t move up to the 3rd pick to get Darnold. He moved up to 3rd to get a QB. It just so happens Darnold fell into his lap. I don’t give him credit for the Browns and Giants being complete buffoons for passing on Darnold. The Hack pick, however, has been a brutal one in that it essentially costs the Jets four 2nd round picks because he totally reached.  And the McClown signing was a face saving move. If Mac had any balls, he would have just sucked it up, accepted responsibility and played Hack/Petty. He then would have had the #1 or 2 pick and not have had to surrender 3 # 2’s. 

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

As SB Nation's Levi Damien revealed, Hackenberg's day involved back-to-back brutal plays, the first of which was him being "sacked" (they can't actually hit quarterbacks in practice) by Bruce Irvin. The team's newest quarterback then followed that up by tossing a pick-six to cornerback Rashaan Melvin.

We aren't even going to get that 7th rounder for him.

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wait what ??‍♂️? what solid pick did he hit on? Darnold ? Let’s hope! But nothing proven yet. I would not even dare blame Mac if darnold turns out to be a bust. Because that would be bs hindsight. Only the browns are dumb enough to pass on darnold. My 4 yr old nephew would have picked darnold. Should he be gm ? lol. I’m the type of guy who says if you pick a qb in the second round Who many thought would be there in the 4th, and had lot of issues. You better get it right ?‍♂️?. I hate BPA, but Mac says he lives and dies by it but then hugely reaches for a qb. Why can’t he reach for a edge rusher ??‍♂️?

Darnold HAS to be our FQB. We've waited for what nearly 50 yrs. ? I'm with you, OT and Edge as priorities next off season.

4 hours ago, Larz said:

The odds aren't very good with the Jets getting anything back in that trade.   With that said ,it's  way too early to judge any player( new to the team) off of a couple of plays in shorts. 

What happens when training camp starts will go a long way if Hackenberg will win a job with the Raiders, not now when he just learning a very complex offense.( so many shifts and reads a Qb must make at the line of scrimmage - offense designed to take advantage of anything the defense  shows.

Hackenberg probably going to have to do a lot of studying( playbook)  now till training camp- to have any chance to win a job. That in addition to continue improving his accuracy. ( again a lot on his plate , and why the chances aren't great of him making the team,

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The odds aren't very good with the Jets getting anything back in that trade.   With that said ,it's  way too early to judge any player( new to the team) off of a couple of plays in shorts. 

What happens when training camp starts will go a long way if Hackenberg will win a job with the Raiders, not now when he just learning a very complex offense.( so many shifts and reads a Qb must make at the line of scrimmage - offense designed to take advantage of anything the defense  shows.

Hackenberg probably going to have to do a lot of studying( playbook)  now till training camp- to have any chance to win a job. That in addition to continue improving his accuracy. ( again a lot on his plate , and why the chances aren't great of him making the team,

aaah there you are!  Change of topic-

Almost every pick a huge reach at its spot:

KOLTON MILLER UCLA OT
P.J. HALL Sam Houston St. NT
BRANDON PARKER North Carolina A&T OT
ARDEN KEY LSU EDGE
NICK NELSON Wisconsin CB
MAURICE HURST Michigan DT
JOHNNY TOWNSEND Florida P
AZEEM VICTOR Washington ILB
MARCELL ATEMAN Oklahoma State WR

Gruden Pfail with a capital P.

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Welcome back ... Keep us posted on how he's doing in camp!

Archived