NY Jets Trade Christian Hackenberg

27 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

@BrianCoz: the Jets have traded Christian Hackenberg to the Raiders for a conditional 7th round pick #nyj

m.twitter.com/BrianCoz

What's the condition? That HACK can actually read a playbook?

This is sad...  our seconds, for almost 10 years running have sucked.

19 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So we now have 0 QBs under contract for 2019. Darnold is yet to sign, but will be our only QB signed through 2019. 

C'mon, you know that won't be the case.  Darnold will have a 5 year deal.  And, I'd rather have no QBs signed for 2019 than have Hack signed for 2019.  Several options for the Jets at QB next year....

1. Sign another vet again, even potentially McCown.  There will be bodies available...just look around the league.  We got Bridgewater, Case Keenum moved on, Bradford and Glennon ended up in Arizona, etc.  The Jets will be able to find a mediocre veteran backup.

2. If December rolls around and we're honestly having conversations about whether we should put the Franchise Tag on Teddy B, then that is a GREAT thing IMO.  With all the 2019 Cap money the Jets will have I'm not averse to franchising Teddy while having Darnold on a rookie contract.  McCown and Hack will both be off the payroll.

Today's trade was 100% made because Teddy is on the field and taking full reps with the other QBs.  We have the 3 guys that many of us wanted and have said goodbye to 2 guys who unfortunately did not work out.  I, for one, am happy that Maccagnan can swallow his pride, admit a mistake and not do something stupid just for the sake of trying to rescue a poor draft decision.  How many of you remember Tannenbaum keeping 2nd round selection Vlad Ducasse at OG while letting Matt Slauson walk away in Free Agency and becoming a Pro Bowler with the Bears?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It is kind of amazing that Bowles can trot any rookie stooge on defense out there to make a million mistakes that costs the team games - but this kid never got a single snap. If Darnold doesnt show anything this season Bowles needs to go.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I also think if Darnold really shows something this year Bowles needs to go

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Nah. Gholston at #6 was the worst. Did nothing. 

And Jets once drafted an OL in the 2nd round that they cut during his rookie training camp. 

Lol wtf?

I hear you guys about Gholston -- but seriously - think about our QB play the last 2 years -- and the intentions we drafted Hack under -- and he NEVER EVEN TOOK SNAP under center.

That's unreal. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, tfine said:

I wouldn’t call it a “huge whiff” he didn’t give up a lot for him. Low tier 2nd rounder is hardly a miss. Darnold on the other hand will be a colossal disaster if he doesn’t pan out.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ummmmmmmmmmm

I wanted Hack drafted and am not ashamed to say I was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea it was a big time whiff by the Jets; no doubt about it..........

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lol wtf?

I hear you guys about Gholston -- but seriously - think about our QB play the last 2 years -- and the intentions we drafted Hack under -- and he NEVER EVEN TOOK SNAP under center.

That's unreal. 

JETS CUT UNHAPPY 2d-ROUND DRAFT CHOICE

For the first time in their history, the Jets today cut a second-round draft choice before his rookie season even started.

The victim was Doug Williams, the tackle from Texas A&M. Because of a salary dispute, he never played in minicamp and joined the Jets late in the preseason camp, unhappy that he wasn't a first-round draft pick, and unhappy over his contract.

He will be able to keep his $225,000 bonus, earned once he signed a four-year contract. The Jets must pay him only the bonus.

To Williams's agent, Joe Courrege of Dallas, the cut raises questions about the quality of the Jets' scouting and coaching.

''I can't believe the scouting system could miss a player so badly,'' he said. ''If the guy's not a performer, who bears the brunt of that? The scouting, the coaching?''

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/26/sports/jets-cut-unhappy-2d-round-draft-choice.html

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think he was starting to ruffle feathers in Florham Park.  Bad attitudes are not allowed at 1 Jets Drive.  

This. So obvious. Even with a good attitude he was expendable. Behaving like a butthurt sourpuss sealed the deal.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

This isn’t just about qb.  The jets are getting some depth at positions and can finally cut dead wood out even if they were high draft picks.  Devin smith is next since wr has some depth.  

It has a little depth but with Pryor re-fracturing his ankle..he could stick around just a little while longer.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Christian Hackenberg is such an organizational failure by this Jets regime. You evaluated the kid, you coached the kid, and you couldn’t get him into 1 game?? I really hope he proves everyone wrong.

Mike Maccagnan dragged in the old cats Fitzpatrick/McCown and Todd Bowles started them at QB....................

9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Christian Hackenberg is such an organizational failure by this Jets regime. You evaluated the kid, you coached the kid, and you couldn’t get him into 1 game?? I really hope he proves everyone wrong.

The bolded part is debateable. 

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And thus ends one of the most embarrassing and pathetic busts in NY Jets Draft history.

Guess Teddy Bridgewater is healthy then?

Guy was a second round pick, not the second pick in the draft.  Not even close.  Just another bad second rounder.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Honest question.  If blowing a 2nd Rd pick on Hack and learning from that mistake made Macc get it right this time with Darnold, was it worth the investment?

I say yes.  

As long as he gets it right with Darnold. Two major QB busts and Mac might wanna look for a new line of work. 

• Upvote 1