NY Jets Trade Christian Hackenberg

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

C'mon, you know that won't be the case.  Darnold will have a 5 year deal.  And, I'd rather have no QBs signed for 2019 than have Hack signed for 2019.  Several options for the Jets at QB next year....

1. Sign another vet again, even potentially McCown.  There will be bodies available...just look around the league.  We got Bridgewater, Case Keenum moved on, Bradford and Glennon ended up in Arizona, etc.  The Jets will be able to find a mediocre veteran backup.

2. If December rolls around and we're honestly having conversations about whether we should put the Franchise Tag on Teddy B, then that is a GREAT thing IMO.  With all the 2019 Cap money the Jets will have I'm not averse to franchising Teddy while having Darnold on a rookie contract.  McCown and Hack will both be off the payroll.

Today's trade was 100% made because Teddy is on the field and taking full reps with the other QBs.  We have the 3 guys that many of us wanted and have said goodbye to 2 guys who unfortunately did not work out.  I, for one, am happy that Maccagnan can swallow his pride, admit a mistake and not do something stupid just for the sake of trying to rescue a poor draft decision.  How many of you remember Tannenbaum keeping 2nd round selection Vlad Ducasse at OG while letting Matt Slauson walk away in Free Agency and becoming a Pro Bowler with the Bears?

I understand that argument.

And YES, they will spackle the #2 QB with a JAG veteran like Hoyer in 2019 (Darnold should have earned the starting spot by then), but it further pulls me to the argument, made by others, that Mac may not be the right guy (I know, I know, there's a hoard of Anti-Macs out there already vehemently against him). I'm all for tagging Bridgewater. 

The notion that Kevin Hogan, Jacoby Brisset, Cody Kessler, and Connor Cook have started or gotten NFL snaps and Hack hasn't is absurd. It's either gross negligence or something personal by Bowles (more reason to be fired) or atrocious evaluation by Mac. I tried to look at the salvage value and reasoned AT LEAST Hack would be a sufficient CHEAP #2 QB through his rookie contract. Maybe it's a HUGE WHIFF on Mac that I'm NOW starting to realize and fathom. 

Yes, it's good that Mac can cut loose a bad mistake early on. Yes the Jets' Cap space is in EXCELLENT condition. YES, there's significantly better and YOUNGER talent on the roster than 4 years ago. Yes the rebuild seems to be working. 

Yet, I have eroding trust as the 4th season of this regime passes. Some great moves are cancelled out by some really mind-boggling ones. 

Thank you, I needed let that out. LOL. :lol:

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Christian Hackenberg is such an organizational failure by this Jets regime. You evaluated the kid, you coached the kid, and you couldn’t get him into 1 game?? I really hope he proves everyone wrong.

Thank you for summing it up better and more efficiently. 

If Hack and Petty happen to make their respective squads and be mildly successful we will have to question our teams approach to developing a qb and our HC. It is very possible they both suck and that is on scouting and the GM. One of them has to fall on the sword, especially if Darnold's development follows the same path.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Honest question.  If blowing a 2nd Rd pick on Hack and learning from that mistake made Macc get it right this time with Darnold, was it worth the investment?

I say yes.  

It actually CAUSES me to DOUBT Darnold more because of that. That's what's making me annoyed right now. 

The way I see it:

• Hack was a completely unprepared second round draft pick.  He needed alot of work.
  • He otherwise seems like a good guy, has/had a good attitude and worked hard.
  • Gailey/Patullo did not do the work to develop him Year 1.  The focus was to ride Fitz to win games and sell tickets.  It was not for building the future.  Jets' Fault.
  • The Jets gave him a chance in 2017.  He just did not catch on quick enough.   They had to give up on him.
  • Based on 2017, the Jets could not enter 2018 relying on Hack.  They must like Teddy and think they can go with that.   They are also taking 2018 seriously and do not want to warehouse/prospect Hack.
  • Oddly enough, the Raiders drafted Connor Cook after Hack.  Some thought Cook should be a first round draft pick.  If Gruden can make something out of Hack, more the power to him.  
  • Hack made a mistake by mouthing off.  The facts were bad here.  Everyone should smile and move forward.  
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, usapaw said:

If Hack and Petty happen to make their respective squads and be mildly successful we will have to question our teams approach to developing a qb and our HC. It is very possible they both suck and that is on scouting and the GM. One of them has to fall on the sword, especially if Darnold's development follows the same path.  

Yeah ya know it is making me a little uncomfortable that the 2 QBs the Jets treated like trash found homes with coaches that have a background in offense 

It could be a sign that there just aren't a lot of viable QBs out there, it could be that other teams figure that the Jets don't know what they are doing. 

All I can say is I need Darnold to have a good mini camp lol

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The way I see it:

• Hack was a completely unprepared second round draft pick.  He needed alot of work.
  • He otherwise seems like a good guy, has/had a good attitude and worked hard.
  • Gailey/Patullo did not do the work to develop him Year 1.  The focus was to ride Fitz to win games and sell tickets.  It was not for building the future.  Jets' Fault.
  • The Jets gave him a chance in 2017.  He just did not catch on quick enough.   They had to give up on him.
  • Based on 2017, the Jets could not enter 2018 relying on Hack.  They must like Teddy and think they can go with that.   They are also taking 2018 seriously and do not want to warehouse/prospect Hack.
  • Oddly enough, the Raiders drafted Connor Cook after Hack.  Some thought Cook should be a first round draft pick.  If Gruden can make something out of Hack, more the power to him.  
  • Hack made a mistake by mouthing off.  The facts were bad here.  Everyone should smile and move forward.  

This.

I don't get it.
Why now?  Why not let him make a few throws in preseason to show him off, or at least get some training camp tape?
No room for him I guess when we have a rehabbing FA and an young one to break in.
Feel terrible for that guy. Always a good attitude, and didn't get a chance to even see what an NFL football looked like.
Did you watch him last preseason? 90 percent handoffs other 9 percent was short inaccurate throws 1 percent deep inaccurate throws...it doesn't exactly drive his value up or make teams salivate at the thought of aquiring him

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

The mindset of some Jets fans really boggles me.  I laugh that there's always a few people moping about the destined greatness a former Jets' failure will have, as if there is any degree of frequency to that happening.  What was the most recent instance of this... Farrior, 15 years ago (and he wasn't THAT bad here)?  While it's certainly not something to be happy about, former Jets' failures do not exactly have a track record of future success that supports that they were held down, as some like to suggest.

Which of course brings us to the next point, which is the concept of some fans wanting to blame the coach for the failures of the GM.  This was a colossal blunder by Macc, plain and simple, and he doesn't get to share that blame with anyone.  The fact that he himself no longer wants any part of Hack is his admission of guilt to that.  It's not anyone else's job to waste their time trying to justify his horrible decisions.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Honest question.  If blowing a 2nd Rd pick on Hack and learning from that mistake made Macc get it right this time with Darnold, was it worth the investment?

I say yes.  

Yeah I think Hack is something we need to just get over at this point. Hindsight is 20/20. Draft is a crapshoot. Blah blah blah.

Point is, there are enough sayings out there that this happens and hopefully we got it right this time. I thought this thread would be a happy thread but instead it's just a bitch-fest for the most part.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Christian Hackenberg is such an organizational failure by this Jets regime. You evaluated the kid, you coached the kid, and you couldn’t get him into 1 game?? I really hope he proves everyone wrong.

This

Hack blamed PSU coaches for his bad football in college. He is now blaming the Jets for his bad football in the NFL. At some point a player needs to take responsibility for his career. Getting a personal coach was a step in the direction but too little too late. Darnold went out and got that type of coaching before they were even drafted. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tfine said:

I wouldn’t call it a “huge whiff” he didn’t give up a lot for him. Low tier 2nd rounder is hardly a miss. Darnold on the other hand will be a colossal disaster if he doesn’t pan out.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

it's only a huge whiff because the jets have missed on just about their last 10 second round picks.  and yes, if darnold doesn't pan out, it'll be a disaster.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The mindset of some Jets fans really boggles me.  I laugh that there's always a few people moping about the destined greatness a former Jets' failure will have, as if there is any degree of frequency to that happening.  What was the most recent instance of this... Farrior, 15 years ago (and he wasn't THAT bad here)?  While it's certainly not something to be happy about, former Jets' failures do not exactly have a track record of future success that supports that they were held down, as some like to suggest.

Which of course brings us to the next point, which is the concept of some fans wanting to blame the coach for the failures of the GM.  This was a colossal blunder by Macc, plain and simple, and he doesn't get to share that blame with anyone.  The fact that he himself no longer wants any part of Hack is his admission of guilt to that.  It's not anyone else's job to waste their time trying to justify his horrible decisions.

Missing on a 2nd round pick is not a colossal blunder, it happens more than we would think and by all teams in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Hack blamed PSU coaches for his bad football in college. He is now blaming the Jets for his bad football in the NFL. At some point a player needs to take responsibility for his career. Getting a personal coach was a step in the direction but too little too late. Darnold went out and got that type of coaching before they were even drafted. 

They BOTH HAVE/HAD the same Personal Coach: Jordan  Palmer! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

How the hell did Macc get anything for him?

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/en/dd-perks/dd-perks-terms-and-conditions

Traded in his coffee reward points. If you read through the fine print in the link above you'll see that 250,000 points gets you a token trade with the Raiders to dump a terrible former 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is an extremely optimistic read of a prospect that literally one person on the planet thought was any good. Unfortunately, that one person was the GM of the NYJ.

This post would be fantastic if it had even a whiff of truth to it. But it doesn't, so......

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

The way I see it:

• snip  

Mouthing off?  You mean today?  I thought Bowles went on record and said that they had a deal in place that was being finalized and that is why Hackenberg didn't get any reps?  If that is true it was from before he "mouthed off." 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mouthing off?  You mean today?  I thought Bowles went on record and said that they had a deal in place that was being finalized and that is why Hackenberg didn't get any reps?  If that is true it was from before he "mouthed off." 

It’s likely that this isn’t the first time Hackenberg has voiced these concerns. It’s just the first time he did it into a microphone. 

It was always a boom or bust pick. I follow d Penn State and hated the pick at the time but I always understood the risk for the potential reward.  Hack was built by the football gods- he just couldn’t throw an accurate ball and that really is something that is almost impossible to teach.

Practically he’s another 2nd Round QB that is not a franchise guy- just like deshawn Kizer and jimmy clausen...and no worse than Paxton Lynch whom many wanted.

sure its a smudge of Mac’s resume.  He has also gotten us 3 decent QB’s and an improved team overall from when he took over. So I’m ok with this.

• Upvote 1