NY Jets Trade Christian Hackenberg

57 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Honest question.  If blowing a 2nd Rd pick on Hack and learning from that mistake made Macc get it right this time with Darnold, was it worth the investment?

I say yes.  

Agreed.  It may have led them away from J. Allen for example.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

How many people on the planet think Kacy Rodgers II is good?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Chiefs had him in at some point and he has been playing.  They switched his position to LB.  I will be interested to see if he is out of place bad in the preseason.  Probably a Chris Smith situation. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s likely that this isn’t the first time Hackenberg has voiced these concerns. It’s just the first time he did it into a microphone. 

I was interested to see if there was a change this year.  I like Christensen more as a guru than Palmer. Still, can't be shocked or upset about this.  

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I might invest in a Chinese Hack jersey now.

Man, this sucks....

The Jets didn't put any effort into coaching up their 2nd round pick.  As someone else said - organizational failure (starting with Todd Bowles).

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I was interested to see if there was a change this year.  I like Christensen more as a guru than Palmer. Still, can't be shocked or upset about this.  

Absolutely. Every team makes bad draft mistakes. You just have to know when to bail before they become an albatross. 

so we can shut the door in this awful pick finally -no more having to hear that we have to wait for him and mac has a plan and knows more......

the fact that a pro grm could watch film from Hackenberg  at PSU his last year and think he could be a star in the league is beyond crazy

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

so we can shut the door in this awful pick finally -no more having to hear that we have to wait for him and mac has a plan and knows more......

the fact that a pro grm could watch film from Hackenberg  at PSU his last year and think he could be a star in the league is beyond crazy

A team just traded FOR Hack.

Let that sink in.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

A team just traded FOR Hack.

Let that sink in.

conditional 7th and he wont make their roster with the qbs ahead of him-I am pretty sure I could get a conditional 7 round pick for you and you probably throw better

• Upvote 2

Just now, NoBowles said:

The Jets have about as much of a chance at getting that draft pick as Trump does of getting T0mShanes vote in the next election

Well, with T0mShane there's always a 30% chance he gets confused and presses the wrong button in the voter booth.  Too used to pushing PS4 buttons while playing FortNite against 12 year olds. :P 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

conditional 7th and he wont make their roster with the qbs ahead of him-I am pretty sure I could get a conditional 7 round pick for you and you probably throw better

You've never seen me throw a football.

3.gif

I might be worse than Tannenbaum fielding punts!

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

send to mac u can make some nice money-he will see in u what nobody else does

lol

Yeah, he actually just called and said he could develop me over the next 24 months.  Asked me if I had any red shirts I could bring to Florham Park.  I go there tomorrow.

• Haha 1

Hackenberg almost certainly won't make the Raiders roster.   

The only reason they got a team to give up even the potential of a draft pick for him is because there is no film on him yet in 2018.  Once Hack plays, he won't be worth a possum carcass and Macc knows it.

9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Are you serious with this?

Yes.  After his 1st year at PSU he was considered a future #1 overall pick.  He had some ability.  I don't know if he would've been successful but it feels like our CS just didn't believe in him.  I hope we don't end up regretting this move.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

While reporting a story last year on Jets assistant Jeremy Bates, I asked then-ESPN analyst Jon Gruden about Christian Hackenberg. It provides insight into today's trade. Gruden: "I put a lot of stock in coaching. Mike Holmgren did a lot for Brett Favre. Atlanta didn't think much of Brett Favre. A lot of QBs in this league are where they are because someone gives them a shot, someone works with them and someone coaches them. Guys just don't show up off the street, win a Punt, Pass & Kick contest and play quarterback in this league. Coaching is a huge part of it. Can this kid throw the ball like he did as a freshman at Penn State? Can he regain his confidence? I don't know, nobody knows. But if he can, they're going to develop it, that's what I do know." That didn't happen with the Jets. Now Gruden gets his shot.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Jon Gruden has long been intrigued by Christian Hackenberg

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2018%2F0522%2F

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- At first glance, the Oakland Raiders acquiring quarterback Christian Hackenberg from the New York Jets for a conditional seventh-round pick on Tuesday seems, well, counterintuitive.

After all, the Raiders already have their franchise quarterback in Derek Carr, who signed a five-year, $125 million contract extension last summer. And they return both backups in EJ Manuel, who started a game for Oakland last year when Carr was injured with three broken bones in his back, and Connor Cook, who started the Raiders' 2016 season playoff game at Houston as a rookie when Carr broke his right ankle.

But neither Manuel nor Cook truly capture the imagination, you might say, even as Cook had more team snaps than Manuel in Tuesday's opening practice of organized team activities, and threw an impressive long touchdown pass to rookie receiver Saeed Blacknall.

Then there's this: Coach Jon Gruden was more than enamored with Hackenberg when he came out of Penn State and appeared on Gruden's QB Camp show on ESPN in 2016.

play

2:20

Gruden's QB Camp: Comfort key to Hackenberg's success

Former Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg explains his decision to enter the NFL draft and Jon Gruden reminds him that he's not Cam Newton, but his mobility can be a great asset along with his arm strength and accuracy.

Gruden, in an ESPN Insider piece, said at the time he would be "shocked" if Hackenberg was not drafted in the first round.

"He just has to get in the right system with the right people and refocus on the small details," Gruden said at the time.

Hackenberg was selected in the second round by the Jets, No. 51 overall, 49 picks ahead of Cook.

"Hackenberg threw for 3,000 yards as an 18-year-old kid in an NFL offense that is hard to execute," Gruden said before that draft. "I do not think people are giving him enough credit for that.

"We all have seen Tom Brady point to his temples countless times at the line of scrimmage. They had the same alerts and mannerisms at Penn State. For a freshman to be given that type of autonomy at the line of scrimmage is unusual. When you see the same plays from the same formations that the Patriots are running, with the same audible mannerisms, you are like, 'Wow, this is cool.'"

Gruden was also impressed with Hackenberg's work at the greaseboard, diagramming plays.

"I was asking him to decipher two systems, one of them from multiple years ago, all while our cameras were rolling and I was pushing him," Gruden said. "It's not easy. Hackenberg was on the board talking about H2 X Deep Over with Coach [Bill] O'Brien, and then he was discussing a jet sweep play-action pass he ran for Coach James Franklin. He was able to talk pass protection, route distribution, progressions, pick-a-sides, you name it. He had great recall of every play he took at Penn State. That says a lot."

It also says a lot about why Gruden would be motivated to acquire him two years later. Even if Hackenberg has yet to play in a regular-season NFL game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

While reporting a story last year on Jets assistant Jeremy Bates, I asked then-ESPN analyst Jon Gruden about Christian Hackenberg. It provides insight into today's trade. Gruden: "I put a lot of stock in coaching. Mike Holmgren did a lot for Brett Favre. Atlanta didn't think much of Brett Favre. A lot of QBs in this league are where they are because someone gives them a shot, someone works with them and someone coaches them. Guys just don't show up off the street, win a Punt, Pass & Kick contest and play quarterback in this league. Coaching is a huge part of it. Can this kid throw the ball like he did as a freshman at Penn State? Can he regain his confidence? I don't know, nobody knows. But if he can, they're going to develop it, that's what I do know." That didn't happen with the Jets. Now Gruden gets his shot.

Whaaaaaaaat????

coaching matters? Try telling that to all the Madden experts around here.