The Giants drop the ball—

Vudu

17 minutes ago, DLJ said:

And they’ll be on the wrong side of history.

While the Jets brass are telling their players they’re allowed to protest if they wish— the half wits over in blue land said this:

IMG_2049.JPG

You do realize the rule vote was unanimous besides Jed York’s 49ers who didn’t vote. .. right?

It's a policy that's not a policy 

The tabloid press will still post an inactive list and then a "not present for anthem list" 

It's important to discuss this like grownups and to stick together and not allow any more division. 

What's kinda ironic is the whole issue sort of worked itself out the week jerrah and everybody knelt arm and arm 

This policy in a way sort of just brought more attention to it 

Again this is bordering on absurd. The report is that it was unanimous with the 49ers owner abstaining. Chris Johnson stated he voted for it because to support the membership. Now there was no vote. So I guess CJ was in acid. Really it's ridiculous

Again this is bordering on absurd. The report is that it was unanimous with the 49ers owner abstaining. Chris Johnson stated he voted for it because to support the membership. Now there was no vote. So I guess CJ was in acid. Really it's ridiculous

From what I’ve read there was no vote, they polled owners to see what they thought but there was never an official vote

But since it’s so ridiculous for you to participate in this convo then dont.

I’ve already requested this post be deleted.

5 minutes ago, DLJ said:

From what I’ve read there was no vote, they polled owners to see what they thought but there was never an official vote

I've read the same thing. There was no official vote.

10 minutes ago, DLJ said:

It was a scramble without an official “vote” so Goodell could tell advertisers he has unanimity in the issue while giving owners plausible deniability when they go back to their locker rooms. Typical cowardly half-measure by Goodell that’ll blow up in his stupid face. 

As for Mara, he knowingly employed a kicker who has beat the sh*t out of his wife with such frequency that law enforcement was called to intervene over 20 times, and NFL security had to forcibly separate him from his family at the ******* Pro Bowl.

I don't think they were ever going to make owners actually have to vote and force them to either raise a hand or not.  They wanted to present a united front and essentially took a "voice vote."  A little weak if you ask me.

Regardless of what you think about this entire policy and situation, and I understand both sides, the one thing that can't really be disagreed with is that the NFL has no clue about perception and the opinion of the general public.  They're trying to "thread a needle" and make everyone happy but it's disingenuous so it doesn't work.  Goodell wishes he could just tell players one thing, owners another, and tell the President something else.  It's not possible and so they of course completely goofed it up.  Amazing.

1 hour ago, DLJ said:

You need to learn to read and comprehend. There is nothing ridiculous about the conversation so save your faux outrage. The point :  Chris Johnson SAID he voted for the measure, Reports came out that it was unanimous vote except the 49ers who abstained , then there was no vote, then there was a voice vote. That is the absurdity not the conversation.

i think we can all agree this is a personal choice. To me it is offense to the first amendment and the freedom of speech. Whether you agree with Kneeling or not it is a belief. The difference being that the right kneel is covered under the first amendment. There is no law that states you must stand for the national anthem, and I ask someone to show me me that. It is OK to kneel in church (freedom of religion is also cover under that amendment)if you try to take away this right then what is next? What right will stripped because someone finds it offensive. I personally find it offensive kids can't go to school safely but this takes a bigger stage? I say this a Army Vet who has lost friends, it is shame their memory is being slandered, I know how my friends would want to be remembered and honored and never a single time in the army did we discuss standing for a song.

It is called respecting your neighbor and not infringing on their rights as long as it is not a threat to your rights or safety. The sad part is it is vocal minority. In this I side with Steve Kerr

image.png

Really do we have to do this again. The NFL and teams are a private organization and have the right to stipulate rules for their employees. Nothing to do with the First Amendment.

Here’s what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem:

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

Just now, Cyberjet said:

Really do we have to do this again. The NFL and teams are a private organization and have the right to stipulate rules for their employees. Nothing to do with the First Amendment.

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

very simply put the NFL is a private organization but they have to deal with the players union on everything. Why do you think they are fining teams and not the players? Think the new 'rule' would stand up when it was not bargained for like practices, think the ACLU would not jump at a chance for this. This is more or a less a political plow and a way the NFL to say he we did something. But in context the NFL was not loosing money it made 1 billion more then it made the yr before. 31 out the top 50 shows were NFL games. Most fans on a study done by 538 believe the players were not disrespecting the flag or the military. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-do-americans-feel-about-the-nfl-protests-it-depends-on-how-you-ask

you are putting in a rule on a subject a majority of fans do no find offensive. You have the right to free speech at the office as well. They have right to implement a rule but the NFL also need the Players association to back them on this and I do not see it happening. That is also the reason there was no real official vote.  I see more and more teams just staying in the locker unless it is the playoffs like they used to until the Military started paying 15 million a yr to salute the Armed forces in 2011.

I also love the part "Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses." but it up to the team. I think a majority of teams will put to a players vote. I think the Jets made a more liberal choice along with the Falcons owners statement.

Let me ask you since they want players to stand as described above what is to stop the players from raising the right fist like in Mexico city? They are standing still and not talking there is no mention of the right arm or hand. I wonder how that would be handled.

17 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

The optimal word in what you posted is "should."  Should is a suggestion and  not equivalent to "shall" or "must."

You should stop smoking, you should lose weight, you should go to college, you should stand is not equivalent to saying you must.

I wonder to. To me the NFL has opened a can of worms. Goodell is not a great leader. To me it's simple, provide players like they do with charities an outlet to pursue their desires and passions. If they want to stop police brutality, form a team to work with police and black communities. Keep it away from game day. The NFL made the rule, not me. 

"I'm going to give you the real deal: I'm an American, I don't desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I'm not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I'm going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I'll work out the problems, but I'll do it in an intelligent manner."

- Jim Brown

He is no conservative and a very active civil rights advocate.

5 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

"I'm going to give you the real deal: I'm an American, I don't desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I'm not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I'm going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I'll work out the problems, but I'll do it in an intelligent manner."

- Jim Brown

He is no conservative and a very active civil rights advocate.

I guess this Jim Brown you speak of must be a 75 year old whitey who spends his days at a country club?

I wore a friends, not food T-shirt to my job at KFC yesterday and got asked to change my outfit or go home cause some BS about it being inappropriate at work.  Anyone have any ACLU contacts?

In all honesty though NFL deserves this for renewing Goodell. Never has incompetence been rewarded like with this guy. League deserves to burn for keeping him commissioner. 

6 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Then why impose the playing of the national anthem at all, which intrudes politics into a business. It is completely voluntary for any private organization to choose whether to play the anthem or not. Olympics, yeah, I get it. Professional football? Play Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song (Hammer of the Gods... Valhalla, I am coming..) or that ridiculous Hank Williams Jr. "Are You Ready For Some Football."  Baseball? "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." In truth, as with so many other symbols of our nation, we have thoroughly trivialized them. the trotting out of the National Anthem is Exhibit A for how completely businesses exploit the flag to sell tickets under the guise of phony patriotism. It's really a marketing gimmick.

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Then why impose the playing of the national anthem at all, which intrudes politics into a business. It is completely voluntary for any private organization to choose whether to play the anthem or not. Olympics, yeah, I get it. Professional football? Play Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song (Hammer of the Gods... Valhalla, I am coming..) or that ridiculous Hank Williams Jr. "Are You Ready For Some Football."  Baseball? "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." In truth, as with so many other symbols of our nation, we have thoroughly trivialized them. the trotting out of the National Anthem is Exhibit A for how completely businesses exploit the flag to sell tickets under the guise of phony patriotism. It's really a marketing gimmick.

True but all countries play their anthem before a sports game. 

This subject divides a lot of the fan base.

But here's my critique for both sides. You guys are not listening to each other. It's ok to understand both sides. Nothing wrong with being patriotic just as there is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion if you agree with the kneeling.

When you guys take the route of butt fumbling and down voting people's opinions it really makes you look childish. 

51 minutes ago, GATA said:

True but all countries play their anthem before a sports game. 

Complicated with soccer, as it crosses so many national borders, making national pride declarations at least somewhat meaningful. I won't go to the wall on this, as I'm mostly trying to make the point that these exercises quickly devolve into meaningless gestures and often are devices for sports businesses to traffic the flag to promote the sport, not the other way around.

We have a clearly stated No Politics rule here, and enough of you break it that it's been repeated here frequently. 

Obviously, the kneeling issue is a political issue. 

We've been simply removing all kneeling threads, but I thought yet another reminder might be necessary. 

No politics. Some players kneeling for the anthem is a political issue. So no kneeling threads. 

Feel free to argue about the matter with your so-called friends on Facebook. 

Thanks. 

Archived