Every NFL Logo Ranked: Jets 31st

bitonti

http://fanjuicer.com/2018/05/every-nfl-logo-ranked-by-over-1400-fans

LogosHeaderImage.jpg?resize=1200,600

2 questions 

1) are the fans who voted on this just biased against the Jets or does the logo really suck?

2) If the logo does in fact suck,  the 80's logo? or new? 

As a sports fan, you may not put much thought into a team’s logo, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important. From a branding perspective, a good logo is crucial. In fact, a logo is often the first thing others will see when they decide what your brand stands for and what it can do for them. When it comes to the NFL, teams are definitely brands. That’s partly why I was interested in how NFL fans would rank the logos of the league’s 32 teams.

I recruited 1,488 fans, primarily from the community at r/NFL, to participate in a MaxDiff research study with the goal of understanding which NFL logos work and which do not. While MaxDiff is a great technique for ranking any long list of items, it particularly shines when it comes to ranking logos. When people are asked to rank 30+ images, it quickly becomes apparent just how impossibly difficult (not to mention time-consuming) that task can be. It is much easier for people to view sets of four logos and choose the one they like most and least in each set. MaxDiffImage.png?w=900The experience is more enjoyable, less time-consuming, and it yields much more rich and accurate data. That’s why Maxdiff studies like this one are commonly used by big ad agencies and their clients when they have a large number of logo or ad designs and need to choose a few to put into market.

It is worth noting that the vast majority of the respondents in this research are hardcore NFL fans. How would you answer the following question?

“On a scale of 1 – 5, with ‘5’ being ‘extremely closely’ and ‘1’ being ‘not closely at all,’ how closely would you say you follow NFL football?”

In this research, a majority (55%) chose a ‘5’ and 35% chose a ‘4’. In other words, about 9 out of 10 respondents are close followers of the NFL, which means that almost all of the people in this research will have seen these logos before, probably hundreds or even thousands of times in a variety of contexts. It is something worth keeping in mind when looking at the results.

In market research, ratings and rankings are all well and good, but we really want to understand why people feel the way they do. I’m not a graphic designer, so it was difficult for me to speculate on why certain logos rose to the top. That’s why I partnered with Eugenie Mclellan, a freelance graphic designer here in New Orleans, to get her take on each logo and their rankings. Eugenie (“The Graphic Designer”) was quick to point out that she’s not a hardcore NFL fan (she’s a ‘2’ on the 1-5 scale), but she does openly identify as a Saints fan. Regardless, she’s probably better than most at separating her opinions on the logos from her feelings for the team. The Panthers’ logo is her favorite from a design standpoint, so take that for what you will. We discussed each logo in a random order, so as not to bias her opinions, but overall she generally agreed with the rankings. Of course there were some big exceptions, which you can read about below.

Now to the results!

#31 New York Jets

New-York-Jets.png?w=900

The Graphic Designer: There’s too much text layered on top. It’s hard to read and clunky. It doesn’t make visual sense and isn’t clear what is going on.

FanJuicer: So you are saying it is too busy?

The Graphic Designer: Yes, I am saying that, but it it is busy in a way that does not add anything.

FanJuicer: What are your thoughts on this oval shape?

The Graphic Designer: The oval is necessary because otherwise all the other elements do not mix properly. Without the oval there is nothing to contain everything going on.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

2 questions 

1) are the fans who voted on this just biased against the Jets or does the logo really suck?

2) If the logo does in fact suck, how quickly can we go back to the 80's logo? 

Looking at these results, i'd either guess the median age of the fans who voted to be around 4.7 years of age, or if not, an inordinate number of floopahs participated in the survey.

Yes.  It's awful.  Jets are supposed to be sleek speed machines.  That logo resembles nothing of the sort. It's clunky I've used that exact word multiple times.  But it's "retro" so it gets a free pass.

I'm no graphic designer, but I have said in multiple threads how the logo and uniforms are too busy. Most seem to think they are "simple", but they have a lot going on.

Honestly, most of the “other team fans” I’ve spoken to really have the worst concept of the Jets all together.

There isn’t an expectation for us to get it together. I hate fb for this because I argue with for ex. Giants fans; and they forever have to mention the Jets reconstructing for that last 5 decades. 

Let the others say what they have to say I just want the Jets to prove everyone wrong. 

5 minutes ago, GATA said:

Honestly, most of the “other team fans” I’ve spoken to really have the worst concept of the Jets all together.

There isn’t an expectation for us to get it together. I hate fb for this because I argue with for ex. Giants fans; and they forever have to mention the Jets reconstructing for that last 5 decades. 

Let the others say what they have to say I just want the Jets to prove everyone wrong. 

Yes. Facebook is unbearable as far as teams fans talking sh*t about the Jets goes.

The Patriots fans are the worst but it’s like everyone on there sounds so damn ignorant when they comment.

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The Browns helmet is iconic. This article is silly.

However I do agree that the Jets logo sucks.

I like the all Brown helmet as part of the uniform but as a team symbol, seems kinda awkward. Putting a brown helmet on a hat....eh.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

2 questions 

2) If the logo does in fact suck,  the 80's logo? or new? 

As a sports fan, you may not put much thought into a team’s logo, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important. From a branding perspective, a good logo is crucial. In fact, a logo is often the first thing others will see when they decide what your brand stands for and what it can do for them. When it comes to the NFL, teams are definitely brands. That’s partly why I was interested in how NFL fans would rank the logos of the league’s 32 teams.

I recruited 1,488 fans, primarily from the community at r/NFL, to participate in a MaxDiff research study with the goal of understanding which NFL logos work and which do not. While MaxDiff is a great technique for ranking any long list of items, it particularly shines when it comes to ranking logos. When people are asked to rank 30+ images, it quickly becomes apparent just how impossibly difficult (not to mention time-consuming) that task can be. It is much easier for people to view sets of four logos and choose the one they like most and least in each set. MaxDiffImage.png?w=900The experience is more enjoyable, less time-consuming, and it yields much more rich and accurate data. That’s why Maxdiff studies like this one are commonly used by big ad agencies and their clients when they have a large number of logo or ad designs and need to choose a few to put into market.

It is worth noting that the vast majority of the respondents in this research are hardcore NFL fans. How would you answer the following question?

“On a scale of 1 – 5, with ‘5’ being ‘extremely closely’ and ‘1’ being ‘not closely at all,’ how closely would you say you follow NFL football?”

In this research, a majority (55%) chose a ‘5’ and 35% chose a ‘4’. In other words, about 9 out of 10 respondents are close followers of the NFL, which means that almost all of the people in this research will have seen these logos before, probably hundreds or even thousands of times in a variety of contexts. It is something worth keeping in mind when looking at the results.

In market research, ratings and rankings are all well and good, but we really want to understand why people feel the way they do. I’m not a graphic designer, so it was difficult for me to speculate on why certain logos rose to the top. That’s why I partnered with Eugenie Mclellan, a freelance graphic designer here in New Orleans, to get her take on each logo and their rankings. Eugenie (“The Graphic Designer”) was quick to point out that she’s not a hardcore NFL fan (she’s a ‘2’ on the 1-5 scale), but she does openly identify as a Saints fan. Regardless, she’s probably better than most at separating her opinions on the logos from her feelings for the team. The Panthers’ logo is her favorite from a design standpoint, so take that for what you will. We discussed each logo in a random order, so as not to bias her opinions, but overall she generally agreed with the rankings. Of course there were some big exceptions, which you can read about below.

Now to the results!

#31 New York Jets

New-York-Jets.png?w=900

The Graphic Designer: There’s too much text layered on top. It’s hard to read and clunky. It doesn’t make visual sense and isn’t clear what is going on.

FanJuicer: So you are saying it is too busy?

The Graphic Designer: Yes, I am saying that, but it it is busy in a way that does not add anything.

FanJuicer: What are your thoughts on this oval shape?

The Graphic Designer: The oval is necessary because otherwise all the other elements do not mix properly. Without the oval there is nothing to contain everything going on.

I don't agree with any of the results except that the Titans are the 27th best logo.

Our like our "retro" logo.  

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I need front office to get it together and reinvent a better version of this..the current logo is tiresome..it doesn’t have to be exactly this..just build your concept around this and make something nice.

032A090F-9198-4A56-A603-5F7E3CD82E67.jpeg

This one is actually a much better logo IMO. I hated the change.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So I can stop clicking on threads about uniforms or logos.  Or those with obnoxious sitcom GiFs from awful shows.

Or you could just stop clicking on threads about uniforms or logos.

But hell yea’ .... really tired of the Big Bang Theory .gifs ... Kelly, Crusher told you to knock it off once already. You have been doing it for months.

25 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Or you could just stop clicking on threads about uniforms or logos.

But hell yea’ .... really tired of the Big Bang Theory .gifs ... Kelly, Crusher told you to knock it off once already. You have been doing it for months.

college-aged-kids-leaving-their-safe-spa

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I need front office to get it together and reinvent a better version of this..the current logo is tiresome..it doesn’t have to be exactly this..just build your concept around this and make something nice.

032A090F-9198-4A56-A603-5F7E3CD82E67.jpeg

This 80s logo at least has an actual Jet. I agree with you. The team should go back to a lighter shade of green and build off of the 80s logo.

Yes. Facebook is unbearable as far as teams fans talking sh*t about the Jets goes.

The Patriots fans are the worst but it’s like everyone on there sounds so damn ignorant when they comment.

hmm...I only thought women and teenagers used facebook.

these results make no sense. evaluating based on design also short sighted, bc identity in football is larger than that. Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Indy, KC, Chicago, Washington, NYG all in the bottom half or quarter. These are all classic logos, classic designs, but more - the history of the football clubs and the cities are the identity.

and Really, the Rams? 

This poll is nonsense. Punishes many "classic design" teams for NOT modernizing and seemingly punishes for political purposes (Wash and KC). How the Raiders and Dallas aren't top 5 or 10 is mind boggling.

Most of them are bandwagoners and don’t understand the sport so I just sit back and laugh 

Archived