Do Jets have double standard when it comes to QB development?

Gas2No99

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I’m the furthest thing from a cheerleader for Bowles.  A prime Vince Lombardi isn’t getting anything out of those two busts

Same thing fans now say about Wilkerson and Richardson.

I wish I got the kind of excuse making Bowles gets.  He literally takes no blame, at all, for the roster he coaches and if they ever improve or if they materially degrade.

Good gig if you can get it.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Gotta disagree. It’s funny to see Mac gush over these UDFAs, especially Olineman and think he is going to make a jag into a star. When he traded our future 4th round pick to take shell in the 5th round, it’s widely known there is a huge drop off from 4th to 5th round.. Shell is a nice depth lineman. He was then and is now. Sure there is always the “outside “ chance the 5th rounder could be good. But it’s pretty rare. If Mac drafts a jag, it’s not due to bad coaching. These guys are learning a new trade.. 

Who has Bowles made better in his tenure in NY?  Lets start there.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who has Bowles made better in his tenure in NY?  Lets start there.

I’m not arguing Todd Bowles is a good coach. He is below average imo. The biggest thing in the pros is having your players support you.. Motivated these guys. He couldn’t motivate  Wilk, any more than Rex could with couples. But those two are just plain lazy. The talent was there..A HC can’t make a guy run faster, become stronger, taller, ect..This isn’t pee wee football. If the jets become good again, it will be because of the Johnsons checkbook, not because Mac and great at their jobs. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Same thing fans now say about Wilkerson and Richardson.

I wish I got the kind of excuse making Bowles gets.  He literally takes no blame, at all, for the roster he coaches and if they ever improve or if they materially degrade.

Good gig if you can get it.

Yeah I’ve only been calling for both Mac and Bowles to be fired for 2 years now ya got me

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah I’ve only been calling for both Mac and Bowles to be fired for 2 years now ya got me

Yet here we are, you white knighting him for not being given an out of the box all-pro QB to work with.

How you reconcile those two positions is on you mate.

I see a Bowles (and his rotating scapegoat of the month offensive coaching staff) as having utterly failed to develop any offensive talent under their watch.  I don't excuse it because something something Macc something.  Coaches job is to Coach and develop the talent he is given and ours sucks at it.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yet here we are, you white knighting him for not being given an out of the box all-pro QB to work with.

I see a Bowles (and his rotating scapegoat of the month offensive coaching staff) as having utterly failed to develop any offensive talent under their watch.  I don't excuse it because something something Macc something.  Coaches job is to Coach and develop the talent he is given and ours sucks at it.

I don’t know that you can pin that all on Bowles, since he’s not an offensive position coach, but on offense they have gotten good production out of an UDFA WR, improved play from Winters before he sucked again, improved play from Beachum over his play in Jacksonville; even if Shell isn’t a good RT - he isn’t - he at least looks like he belongs on a football field (and looked so fairly early on); Enunwa got much better; a pair of veteran QBs were better than ever before.

Mind you I am not in the Todd Bowles corner. I think Bowles and Maccagnan are both awful and were badly overpromoted, but you can’t assume every success as a baseline that would’ve happened no matter what, and then move on to only lamenting about those that didn’t succeed and place the blame all on Bowles for failing to develop bad prospects when every team has them even with better, offensive-minded coaching. Why did Wentz develop but Chase Daniel didn’t? Why couldn’t Lynch overtake Siemian? Gus Frerotte over Heath Shuler; Hackenberg’s new team with Carr and Cook; there’s no shortage of examples. If Oakland had only drafted Cook with no Carr, then it’d be convenient to point and say “Our coach can’t develop QB talent!”

Our HC and GM both suck. But I take for granted few former DCs/secondary coaches are going to successfully work with a QB on the finer details of his mechanics and footwork. As a GM it’s your job to know who your HC is and draft accordingly. You don’t reach to draft a shot in the dark project QB for a Todd Bowles type coach, have him as the only presumed serious QB prospect you’ve given him in 3 seasons, and then come out smelling like roses when that’s a failure any number of people could have seen coming a mile away. Otherwise someone else would have drafted Hackenberg even earlier, given teams’ desperation to succeed at the position.

On 5/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, Dcat said:

That's about as likely as Kate Upton knocking on my door asking if she could sit on my face.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:00 AM, ljr said:

Pics please

this is the best I could find..  It's not Kate Upton, but Juliette Lewis was kind of cute:

On 5/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, Warfish said:

I’m “white knighting” for Bowles because I pointed out the obvious fact that petty and Hack are putrid football qbs who can’t be coached up?  Get off your high horse your just mad Fitzpatrick still isn’t here throwing ducks

Archived