Can we talk Flowers?

Greenseed4

This kid is a Swiss Army weaponz.

He can run it, block it, and be a reliable pass-catching option out the back. 

I can envision 1 or 2-TE sets where he is the “RB”, and it’s a designed pass play with a run option because of his versatility.  

#incrediblepickup

GIVEN: 5 OL, 1 QB

VARIANTS:

1 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR, Flowers

2 TE, 2 WR, Flowers

1 RB, 3 WR, Flowers

4 WRs, Flowers

2 TE, 2 WRs, Flowers

...and if one of the WRs is Enunwa it’s like having 3 TEs.

Gentleman...GATA... we have a ******* offense!

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

How did this guy go undrafted? Seems to be the perfect type of player to transition successfully to the NFL. Size, great balance, good feet, soft hands, good blocker.

I have no idea. I was floored when I first read that the Jets picked him up as a UDFA. Anyone who did any research on Baker Mayfield saw a lot of this kid. He was a big part of Oklahoma's offense. A playmaker.

5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This kid is a Swiss Army weaponz.

He can run it, block it, and be a reliable pass-catching option out the back. 

I can envision 1 or 2-TE sets where he is the “RB”, and it’s a designed pass play with a run option because of his versatility.  

#incrediblepickup

A more powerful, more athletic Richie Anderson? I'll take it! Guy can be a versatile 3rd down and 5 and less RB. I think he forces Powell cut or late round trade if a team loses a RB. Bowles has never been high on Bilal? 

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

GIVEN: 5 OL, 1 QB

VARIANTS:

1 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR, Flowers

2 TE, 2 WR, Flowers

1 RB, 3 WR, Flowers

4 WRs, Flowers

2 TE, 2 WRs, Flowers

...and if one of the WRs is Enunwa it’s like having 3 TEs.

Gentleman...GATA... we have a ******* offense!

If one of the 3 WRs is Enunwa, we can have a strong run blocking unit on the field, that can also shift into a 3 wide set with flowers staying in to block and a RB like Powell or McGuire moving into the slot or motioning out.  

I know Enunwa flashed as a legit WR, but I think this offense is best suited to use him like Gailey did as an H-back who can be an excellent blocker but is also a mismatch for a safety (and an enormous mismatch for a LB).

Flowers was always making an impact when I was scouting Mayfield last fall.  Even though
the FB position has nearly been eliminated Flowers is more than that.  He can be a
traditional FB but he can also:

- Run the ball like a RB
- Catch the ball out of the backfield 
- Block from an inline TE position
- Split out into the slot like a detached TE

Just like Jetster mentioned he sounds like a bigger Richie Anderson

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

How did this guy go undrafted? Seems to be the perfect type of player to transition successfully to the NFL. Size, great balance, good feet, soft hands, good blocker.

He went undrafted because he ran a 4.89 40 and isn’t overly athletic.  He catches the ball nice but most feel like his lack of speed makes him a question mark in the NFL.  I think the Richie Anderson comparisons are a bit of a reach as Anderson was a much better runner and more athletic.  Time will time though.  

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He went undrafted because he ran a 4.89 40 and isn’t overly athletic.  He catches the ball nice but most feel like his lack of speed makes him a question mark in the NFL.  I think the Richie Anderson comparisons are a bit of a reach as Anderson was a much better runner and more athletic.  Time will time though.  

His tape shows a lot of athleticism? and some burst, sometimes in the NFL guys are just really good all around players. What did Tom Rathman & Moose Johnson run in the 40? When Flowers takes a dump off & straight arms a safety to the ground, who cares what his 40 time was. He's not out there to go the distance, he's out there to block, run & catch to move the chains. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

His tape shows a lot of athleticism? and some burst, sometimes in the NFL guys are just really good all around players. What did Tom Rathman & Moose Johnson run in the 40? When Flowers takes a dump off & straight arms a safety to the ground, who cares what his 40 time was. He's not out there to go the distance, he's out there to block, run & catch to move the chains. 

Someone asked why he went undrafted, I explained why.  If you think he’s the next Tom Rathman that’s fine.  But he went undrafted because he isn’t overly athletic and on the slow side.  

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Why does this remind me of John Conner. Rex goes to Kentucky for a linebacker and comes back with a full back.  Bowles has so much in common with Rex once you get past the sideline demeanor.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I stopped getting blown away by tape. Look at all the 1st round busts. They had GREAT tape.  Ever see Sanchez's tape? Geno's tape.  

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I was just thinking the same thing . Only thing I could think of is that teams are getting away from having a FB on their roster at all.

20 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Someone asked why he went undrafted, I explained why.  If you think he’s the next Tom Rathman that’s fine.  But he went undrafted because he isn’t overly athletic and on the slow side.  

his lack of athleticism shows up on tape.  but if he can catch and get tough yards in the running game and play ST he can make this roster.  Rb is not a deep position, they do not have a stud or anything close to one, they're going to go by committee, guys always get dinged up and he seems to be able to block.  if you already have all those wrs and add a decent TE you can throw in a guy like flowers to plow ahead and keep defenses honest.  i wonder what the jets plan is for powell, he's 30 and makes a lot of money relative to their overall roster.  

I’m pretty sure he can beat Lawrence Thomas in a foot race. 

The selling point for me is that he doesn’t tip the defense off to the play call because he’s a legit pass-catching option.  Ideal West coast FB.

42 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Thanks ! Didn't see this earlier. I'm trying to see him in action against Georgia in last year's semi final game. Want to see how he did against that D.

Highlite tapes are just that, highlites . Like you said, time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The selling point for me is that he doesn’t tip the defense off to the play call because he’s a legit pass-catching option.  Ideal West coast FB.

Lawrence Taylor NOW or the Lawrence Taylor then ?

11 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yup, this.

29 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Lol! Full backs are usually WIDE OPEN on dumpoffs. This guy has enough skill catching the ball that it will force a LB to maybe shade his side a bit which opens everything up in the NFL. The WCO is designed to make the defense defend the ENTIRE field. Flowers is a legitimate threat catching the ball & rumbling down the sideline.

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He's a fullback.

It's 2018.

Is it really a mystery?

That said, I like him, and I'm glad he's a Jet and I wish him luck.  Won't be easy to make the team.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Why does this remind me of John Conner. Rex goes to Kentucky for a linebacker and comes back with a full back.  Bowles has so much in common with Rex once you get past the sideline demeanor.

Well, Conner was what? A fifth-round pick? This guy is a UDFA. That feels like an improvement. 

I think Thomas is more of a Bowles-style FB, while this guy is for Bates' WCO-style offense. I expect him to make the team and see action on offense this year. A guy who can chip a pass-rusher then quickly get open as a safety valve is pretty valuable both for the WCO and a young QB. 

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Well, Conner was what? A fifth-round pick? This guy is a UDFA. That feels like an improvement. 

I think Thomas is more of a Bowles-style FB, while this guy is for Bates' WCO-style offense. I expect him to make the team and see action on offense this year. A guy who can chip a pass-rusher then quickly get open as a safety valve is pretty valuable both for the WCO and a young QB. 

John Connor had oven Mitts for hands, this guy catches incredibly smooth...NIGHT & DAY!

When I was convinced that we were drafting Mayfield I watched every bit of Oklahoma tape I could and this guy kept showing up big, over and over.  Built like a tank.  Soft hands.  Excellent blocker.  A knack for finding a seam down the middle and catching the ball in close quarters.  And while he is not a speedster, they ran a lot of successful long plays for him where he looked like a wide receiver.  This guy could be a real contributor and an absolute steal as an UDFA.  I was super-psyched when we signed him.

3 hours ago, slats said:

I agree with that............    

5 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I have no idea. I was floored when I first read that the Jets picked him up as a UDFA. Anyone who did any research on Baker Mayfield saw a lot of this kid. He was a big part of Oklahoma's offense. A playmaker.

LACK. OF. SPEED. 

Wonder how the RB's will shake out. Powell, McGuire, Crowell, Rawls, Cannon, and Flowers, Lawerence at FB.

I assume Flowers is beating out Lawerence for that FB position. Do they cut Lawerence or move him back to the defense? 

Archived