Can we talk Flowers?

Greenseed4

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lawrence Thomas ran a 4.98 at 315

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lawrence-thomas?id=2555376

he's listed at 286

Dimitri Flowers ran a 4.83 at 248. 

even almost 40 pounds heavier, there's a decent chance Thomas could beat Flowers in a dead sprint. 

Why do you say that, because Thomas got faster or because Flowers got slower?  Or is it just because you are a Thomas guy?  In some of the tape, you see Flowers sprinting away from DBs.  He is not that slow for a FB, and faster, with better hands, than Thomas.

Speed is overrated for a fullback. I don't think Earl Campbell ran a fast 40, but when you are being chased, you run must faster. (the second part of the sentence, I heard Earl Campbell say to Rickie Williams after Williams was drafted.)

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We have a thread like this every year...

Ah, forget it. I was trying to think of a flowers joke about perennials but I've got nothing.

Help please. 

You can’t lead a horticulture. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ah, forget it. I was trying to think of a flowers joke about perennials but I've got nothing.

Help please. 

Have the new mods been deflowered in the mod lounge yet?

2 minutes ago, Thor99 said:

You can’t lead a horticulture. 

Mid-level terrible, yet better than anything I had so far.

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

Have the new mods been deflowered in the mod lounge yet?

Ugh. We need better entries than this. 

And to answer your question, yes. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Why do you say that, because Thomas got faster or because Flowers got slower?  Or is it just because you are a Thomas guy?  In some of the tape, you see Flowers sprinting away from DBs.  He is not that slow for a FB, and faster, with better hands, than Thomas.

Thomas certainly got faster shedding 30 pounds. Anytime a guy is running sub 5.0 at 300+ that's a dancing bear. 

I am neither a Thomas nor a flowers guy per se but I enjoy watching that footrace and it wouldn't completely surprise me if the bigger man won. 

people are overrating Flowers and underrating thomas, at least in terms of athletic ability. Flowers can catch though which is good.  

54 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Speed is overrated for a fullback. I don't think Earl Campbell ran a fast 40, but when you are being chased, you run must faster. (the second part of the sentence, I heard Earl Campbell say to Rickie Williams after Williams was drafted.)

Earl Campbell was not a full back and I think he ran 4.5 and he weighed about the same as Flowers.  

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Anytime a guy is running sub 5.0 at 300+ that's a dancing bear. 

I never understood how this term came to mean a quick heavyweight. 

Do bears dance fast in the wild? Cause they’re slow as sh*t at Disneyland. 

10 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I did not know the answer to your question but it was a good one. Watching tons of OL it's a common term. 

at first I thought Grateful dead or nutcracker ballet. But actually dancing bears used to be real, hundreds of years ago.

They captured bears and trained them to to dance for crowds. It wasn't PETA friendly. 

the 1843 epic/satirical poem "Atta Troll" refers to a dancing bear who escaped his trainer and ran away. Spoiler alert: it doesn't go well for the bear. 

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/31305/31305-h/31305-h.htm

Also, there are accounts of trained dancing bears as recently in the 1970's in Kathmandu.   

meh, seems more like a baker mayfield highlight.  alot of attention drawn to the qb and this guy gets the step he needs for separation. on most of his routes it is baker threading a needle and perfect ball placement.  that split second he has on college level opposition will disappear at this next level.  Special teams is his best bet as FB and HB are covered assuming Q is g2g.

17 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I don't know about dancing, but I had a bear gaining on me on a 4 wheeler one time. Had to gun that sh*t to get outta there. That's a big freakin animal to see coming at you that fast, I had a .45 on me and still was scared sh*bless. 

People seem to be ceding this guy a roster spot.  They put him up against Thomas and say that is it.  I think it will come down to how many TEs they keep and which WRs.  I am looking at this as more of an H-back/TE slot.  Herndon seems to fit that role a bit.  Enunwa and Sterling are sort of WR/TE tweeners.  As long as they have someone they can put in the backfield to block now and then, I think they will be looking for more versatility.  It will also depend on how they do on specials.  Whatever FB they keep is going to have to earn his spot on specials.  Marion Barber (Jr.) didn't stick around 7 years as a 2nd FB.  He stayed because he was a great special teamer. 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Help please. 

What were King Tuts favorite flower?

Chrysanthmummies ?

NFL teams most exciting UDFA signing 

New York Jets: FB Dimitri Flowers

24 OF 32

28fd51bf4ef0eb3910f7478a15174c6a_crop_ex
Brett Deering/Getty Images

Dimitri Flowers could add some zing to the fullback position in New York. The Oklahoma product flashed soft hands out of the backfield with 54 catches for 886 yards and 13 touchdowns through four seasons. He also logged four rushing scores during his senior campaign.

The 22-year-old further highlighted his receiving skills when he talked to Randy Lange of the team's official website: "I never dropped a ball in college, and actually I'm tied with DeMarco Murray for receiving touchdowns by a running back at Oklahoma. It's something I've always taken pride in. I don't always get a lot of opportunities, so I have to take advantage of them."

A fullback with reliable hands adds another dimension to an offense that may go overlooked during an opponent's film study. Oftentimes, it's a forgotten position outside of leading blocks for ball-carriers. Flowers has the opportunity to cause matchup issues as an occasional pass-catcher who can also take handoffs near the goal line.

On 5/30/2018 at 4:09 PM, Greenseed4 said:

Up here in Maine they can run 25 mph, so you dont want to meet up with one out in the open. 

Like this....

Related image

10 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

If memory serves, the one on top where he head-butts 58 in the chest, he goes on to break another three or so tackles and score a touchdown.  The guy was an absolute beast.

And in today's NFL he gets a 15 yard penalty for lowering his helmet like that. ;-) 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Help please. 

Surprised no-one has yet brought up the "legend" of Little John Flowers.

Is this guy any relation?

On 5/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Help please. 

Maybe he'll bloom in Bates' WCO system? 

All I know about Flowers is that he was trusted in some of the biggest spots in the Ohio St game and he delivered. He doesn't play a sexy position, but the guy is a gamer who has produced against good competition. I am pulling for this guy.

Archived