ESPN : Jets projected to have second-fewest wins in 2018 ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No way.  I'll take that bet.  The Jets are going to surprise a lot of these "experts" in 2018.  They may not be a playoff team, but they will be an improved team that is up and coming. 

The Jets won 5 games last year. The Roster is improved. They have one of the easiest schedules. 

The "experts" love to pile on the Jets when they are down. 

I disagree. They’ll muddle their way to seven wins. The DL will be enough of a mosh pit and the secondary will be good enough to keep opponents from running up and down the field. McCown and/or Bridgewater will get the team to the Bye at or around .500, and Darnold will get two cheap wins against teams who’ve already packed up their golf clubs at the end of the season. They’ll beat the Dolphins once, Browns, Bills (twice), and the Colts, then sneak up on a team like the Packers (right before Christmas), which leaves them one more to get to seven.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do not believe that 6 wins is an unreasonably low estimate for this team, but I will take that bet too.  I am pretty sure more than 2 teams will have 5 wins or less. 

Bills, Dolphins, Cardinals, Colts (if Luck flakes), Browns, and possibly Cowboys and Seattle could all collapse this year.

Really depends on how quickly they move to Darnold.  If Sam starts from Day 1 - he'll struggle (as almost all rookies) and it's possible to be on the bottom...

with that said, the defense should be good enough to win a few games with little help from the offense and Sam is sure to improve.

Tough to see this team winning less than 6 games.

• The Jets actually have decent QB and WR rooms.  If is the case, they can win 6 games just throwing and catching against mediocre teams.  
  • As pointed out above, the DL and secondary could also make a difference.  Watch them use Adams as basically the LB they don't have.  
  • I think it will be clear that this is a team that a really good in-season coach would get to 8-8.  Bowles is a good guy, sets the right tone/culture, etc., but he is not a good in-season/game coach.  The record next year, which will not be 3-13 but will not be 8-8 either, could prompt management to make a coaching change.  Macc stays because he got the QB.  

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Really depends on how quickly they move to Darnold.  If Sam starts from Day 1 - he'll struggle (as almost all rookies) and it's possible to be on the bottom...

with that said, the defense should be good enough to win a few games with little help from the offense and Sam is sure to improve.

Tough to see this team winning less than 6 games.

I keep waiting for the defense to win any games at all.  Bowles as a D centric coach has BADLY underachieved.  the only thing saving him has been the relative overacheivement of the offense at times (including the 1st fitz year)

54 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

It’s the damn Jets.  Will probably win 8 games with Bridgewater being the CBPOY, setting up another Fitz-like off-season debate on whether to give him big bucks or move on to Darnold.

I'll take that "problem" in a heartbeat . . .

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I keep waiting for the defense to win any games at all.  Bowles as a D centric coach has BADLY underachieved.  the only thing saving him has been the relative overacheivement of the offense at times (including the 1st fitz year)

27th ranked D last season with a soft schedule and the greatest Safety ever leading us

39 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I think Tyrod Taylor can get that roster 6 wins

He does have weapons to work with problem is the other teams in their division are still better

The best thing jets have going for them is the dolphins and bills actually have worse rosters than us right now

54 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't know the other crappy teams' rosters that well but I think we have improved in our secondary and we have two other bad teams in our division (I think the Bills will be really bad).  So I'll take the over.

Bills - offensive line is a mess after losing Incognito and Glenn plus Taylor to McCarron is a downgrade at qb.  Even if you like Allen as a prospect and I did he’s still going to be raw

Dolphins - lost their best offensive player in Jarvis Landry and arguably also lost their best defensive player Suh

And neither team was great to begin with considering we won games against both last year

I see 6-8 wins.

I don’t like Bowles because his in game management is atrocious but Jeremy Bates seems important and I want him to have continuity with Darnold but of Bowles goes than Sam has to start over

id be happy with one more high draft pick to get Bosa or one of the 3 or so good LT’s coming out next draft

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bills - offensive line is a mess after losing Incognito and Glenn plus Taylor to McCarron is a downgrade at qb.  Even if you like Allen as a prospect and I did he’s still going to be raw

LOL McCarron is NOT a downgrade from Tyrod. I think, like usual, we'll split which each team winning their home game.

Archived