ESPN : Jets projected to have second-fewest wins in 2018 ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, peebag said:

This is not a good team and we don't have a good coach.  It could happen.

I actually think we now have the makings of a very good team.  But we're still about 1-2 years from seeing it.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

i actually think we now have the makings of a very good team.  But we're still about 1-2 yrs/drafts from seeing it.

fixed ^ ^ 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

The only time the Jets are ever decent/good is when everyone thinks we suck. Once people start believing, we actually suck. So I appreciate ESPN doing this. I hope more sites follow suit. 

Also, the Browns were in a lot of games last year and just by adding Tyrod they’ve massively improved. They will not be the worst team in the leage. Miami might be though. 

They may be correct, but I don't care if they only win 2 games next year. We in theory have our franchise QB and it is as excited as I have been to watch the season start as I was in the offseason after Sanchez and the Jets were in the AFC championship...

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets this offseason made some big additions (like cornerback Trumaine Johnson). They also lost key players in free agency (like tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins). And they picked quarterback Sam Darnold third overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. So did the Jets upgrade or downgrade at each position? Let's take a look. Plus, after we break down each position, we offer our take on whether the Jets upgraded or downgraded overall. 

Todd Bowles, of course, is back for his fourth season as the Jets' head coach. 

QUARTERBACKS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty 

KEY LOSSES: Hackenberg (traded), Petty (cut) 

KEY ADDITIONS: Teddy Bridgewater (free agency), Sam Darnold (draft) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT QB?

Upgrade. 

Hackenberg and Petty stunk with the Jets. They drafted a potential future franchise quarterback, re-signed McCown (who was productive last season), and signed Bridgewater to a low-risk, one-year contract. So far, during spring practices, Bridgewater has looked good. Maybe the Jets can get something for him in a trade. 

RUNNING BACKS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Matt Forte, Bilal Powell, Eli McGuire 

KEY LOSSES: Forte (retired) 

KEY ADDITIONS: Isaiah Crowell (free agency), Trenton Cannon (draft) 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT RB?

Upgrade. 

Forte was finished last season, as he battled through chronic knee pain. Crowell isn't a star, but he has workhorse potential for the Jets (206 and 198 carries the past two seasons). More likely, the Jets will split the workload between Crowell (who is 25) and Powell (who is going on 30). 

TIGHT ENDS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Austin Seferian-Jenkins 

KEY LOSSES: Seferian-Jenkins (free agency) 

KEY ADDITIONS: Jordan Leggett (back from injury), Chris Herndon (draft) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT TE?

Downgrade. 

At least for now. The Jets didn't want to meet Seferian-Jenkins' asking price, after he had 50 catches for 357 yards and three touchdowns for them last year. He isn't an elite tight end, but he is more of a sure thing that Leggett and Herndon at this point. Herndon is a rookie coming off knee surgery. And Leggett is essentially a rookie, since he missed his entire rookie season, last year, because of knee surgery. 

WIDE RECEIVERS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse 

KEY LOSSES: None 

KEY ADDITIONS: Terrelle Pryor (free agency), Quincy Enunwa (back from injury) 

Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT WR?

Upgrade. 

Anderson and Kearse were the Jets' only legit receiver options last season, because ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen underwhelmed as rookies. Now, the Jets have not only Anderson and Kearse, but also Enunwa and Pryor. So they might not need to depend on Stewart and Hansen much at all. That said, let's see how Enunwa returns from neck surgery. And Pryor this spring is dealing with an ankle injury.

OFFENSIVE LINE

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: LT Kelvin Beachum, LG James Carpenter, C Wesley Johnson, RG Brian Winters, RT Brandon Shell 

KEY LOSSES: Johnson (free agency) 

KEY ADDITIONS: C Spencer Long (free agency) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT OL?

Upgrade. 

Or that's how it appears right now. Johnson was terrible last season. Presuming Long can return OK from quadriceps surgery, he should be an upgrade. And Winters struggled with an abdomen muscle tear last season, which significantly affected his play. Now that he is healthy, he should be more effective. But the Jets need more from Beachum, Carpenter, and Shell than they got last season, when their line was dreadful. 

DEFENSIVE LINE

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon, Mo Wilkerson, Kony Ealy 

KEY LOSSES: Wilkerson (cut), Ealy (free agency)

KEY ADDITIONS: Henry Anderson (trade), Foley Fatukasi (draft), Nathan Shepherd (draft) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT DL?

Downgrade. 

The Jets had no choice but to cut Wilkerson, a chronically late dud who did next to nothing last season. But they didn't really replace him with a proven player. So will they be able to keep double teams away from Williams' side of the line? The Jets will try to do it by committee, with Anderson, Shepherd, and Xavier Cooper. That's a bit of a risk, since the Jets badly need to get more from their pass rush. 

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Demario Davis, Darron Lee 

KEY LOSSES: Davis (free agency) 

KEY ADDITIONS: Avery Williamson (free agency) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT ILB?

Upgrade. 

Tough call here. We don't know if Williamson will be able to grasp Bowles' defense as well as Davis did last season, when the 29-year-old middle linebacker had the best season of his six-year career. We are giving Williamson a slight edge over Davis because he is three years younger. But we could certainly hear an argument for the Jets downgrading at this position. 

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Jordan Jenkins, Josh Martin, David Bass 

KEY ADDITIONS: Lorenzo Mauldin (back from injury), Dylan Donahue (back from injury) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT OLB?

Stayed the same. 

The Jets didn't make any high-profile additions at edge rusher. Who knows what they can really expect out of Mauldin and Donahue in 2018? And Jenkins hasn't been a legit pass rusher through two seasons. It's tough to envision him as some ascending pass rusher right now. The Jets hope their edge rushing production can be upgraded in 2018, but at this point, it's hard to look at the talent and say the Jets definitely upgraded. 

CORNERBACKS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Darryl Roberts 

KEY ADDITIONS: Trumaine Johnson (free agency), Parry Nickerson (draft) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT CB?

Upgrade. 

No doubt about it. Johnson was the Jets' highest-profile addition in free agency, and he gives them a legit, lockdown No. 1 corner. He will take some pressure off Claiborne (who won't have to defend No. 1 receivers anymore) and Skrine (who can go back to his natural slot role). 

SAFETIES

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Terrence Brooks 

KEY ADDITIONS: None 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE AT S?

Stayed the same. 

Adams and Maye have a year under their belts, so they should be better. But since the Jets didn't do anything at this position in the offseason — in terms of adding or losing significant players — then we can't say for sure that the position is better. It might turn out to be better, if Adams and Maye progress as expected, though. 

SPECIAL TEAMS

KEY PLAYERS IN 2017: Chandler Catanzaro, Lachlan Edwards, Thomas Hennessy 

KEY LOSSES: Catanzaro (free agency) 

KEY ADDITIONS: Cairo Santos (free agency) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE ON ST?

Stayed the same. 

The only change is at kicker. Catanzaro is an 84.4-percent career field goal kicker. Santos is at 84.1 percent. The Jets have lacked a dynamic returner in recent years. Could Cannon, Lucky Whitehead or Andre Roberts be that guy for them in 2018? Hard to say for sure right now, but it's not a lock. 

COACHING

KEY LOSSES: John Morton (offensive coordinator), Steve Marshall (offensive line) 

KEY ADDITIONS: Jeremy Bates (offensive coordinator), Rick Dennison (offensive line/running game coordinator) 

DID JETS UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE WITH COACHING?

Stayed the same. 

They went from one inexperienced offensive coordinator to another. A potential plus, for the Jets' returning offensive players, is that Bates won't overhaul things, scheme-wise. So it's not like he is putting in an entirely new system. Continuity ought to help. But it's foolish to say right now that Bates is some genius who will get more from the Jets' offense than Morton did. Now, maybe Bates can develop a quarterback better. 

OVERALL, ARE JETS AN UPGRADED OR DOWNGRADED TEAM?

Upgraded, though not by a ton. 

The Jets' problem areas last season were their pass rush, secondary, and offensive line. In the bigger picture, the Jets needed (and still need) to get some answers at quarterback.

Drafting Darnold could help in that department. But it's hard to see how the Jets are thatmuch better with their pass rush. They should be improved on the offensive line. And they should be vastly improved in the secondary, with Johnson in the mix.

If the Jets were able to sign a proven quarterback (Kirk Cousins), we would say they upgraded by more. Still, they're a better team than the group that won five games last year for the second straight season. Can they go 7-9 or 9-7 or something like that in 2018? It's not outside the realm of possibility. 

The guy who coaxed a pretty decent offence out of a journeyman QB and bunch of nobodies at WR got fired for “throwing too much.” But the guy who couldn’t get a defense stacked with all our draft capital for ten years to play above the bottom quartile is still employed.

Therein why the jets suck folks. We hire badly at the top positions.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

The guy who coaxed a pretty decent offence out of a journeyman QB and bunch of nobodies at WR got fired for “throwing too much.” But the guy who couldn’t get a defense stacked with all our draft capital for ten years to play above the bottom quartile is still employed.

I agree our coaching staff is hot garbage and the fires and hires have been mind boggling but our roster isn’t even bottom 5 let alone bottom 2

20 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Actually it looks to me like we have two journeymen heading our FO.  Thanks Charlie :( 

Enough with the bloody consultants that got us Idzik and Bowles. Just blow a real HC’s socks off with a generous offer. Woody has NEVER hired anything but first-time HCs and GMs.

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap cheap!

On 6/2/2018 at 11:57 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I actually think we now have the makings of a very good team.  But we're still about 1-2 years from seeing it.

Rebuild: Year 6!  Electric Boogaloo?

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I love how the article makes the Sefarian Jenkins loss a big deal his best play all season was a touchdown that got overturned because it would have caused the pats to not cover the spread 

A big deal?  I don't think the guy said anything much good about ASJ, but they are replaceing him with two guys with 0 NFL production, one had season ending knee surgery in November and the other missed the entire season with a "knee injury" though I never read of any surgery and the team said he didn't have any torn ligaments. 

On 6/3/2018 at 7:51 AM, jgb said:

Quartile!

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rebuild: Year 6!  Electric Boogaloo?

A big deal?  I don't think the guy said anything much good about ASJ, but they are replaceing him with two guys with 0 NFL production, one had season ending knee surgery in November and the other missed the entire season with a "knee injury" though I never read of any surgery and the team said he didn't have any torn ligaments. 

Quartile!

Hey I wanted us to sign Mercedes Lewis but Mac feels the $70 million in cap room is better spent sitting on his hands and now the best TE on the roster just got a DWI

Now watch Mac not even attempt to sign Dez Bryant

On 6/3/2018 at 8:21 PM, jgb said:

Enough with the bloody consultants that got us Idzik and Bowles. Just blow a real HC’s socks off with a generous offer. Woody has NEVER hired anything but first-time HCs and GMs.

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap cheap!

After all the years of us dreaming for Harbaugh I actually think there is a realistic chance of us getting him if we go 2-14 and Bowles actually gets held accountable because of Darnold 

On 6/4/2018 at 8:44 AM, Philc1 said:

I love how the article makes the Sefarian Jenkins loss a big deal his best play all season was a touchdown that got overturned because it would have caused the pats to not cover the spread 

he WOULD BE the BEST TE on our roster.. if he was STILL  on OUR roster    ?

On 6/8/2018 at 11:32 PM, BloodGreen said:

I cannot take any ESPN article seriously. They are a just horrible!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

they're just kinda.. well,.. BLAND    ?

>  Jets QB Sam Darnold can star in his own movie : Legally bland    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/76409 

7 hours ago, jack48 said:

So if McCown is our starter we have second fewest wins. yet TB will tell us every week about how he gives us our best chance to win.  And Johnson will eat that up

Don’t worry, Darnold could be slotted as third in the depth chart and he’s still going to start by week 8 anyway 

Archived