Jets rookie TE Chris Herndon arrested and charged with DWI

Vudu

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets tight end and former Hurricanes star Chris Herndon in car crash, charged with DWI

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
sdegnan@miamiherald.com

LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
June 04, 2018 05:16 PM
The Miami Herald has learned that New York Jets tight end Christopher Herndon IV, a former University of Miami standout picked in the fourth round of April's NFL Draft, was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated and taken away in handcuffs at the scene of a car accident just before dawn Saturday.

Herndon, 22, was driving a Nissan Armada and hit and totaled a Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser owned by Albert Elliott, 76, of Manalapan, New Jersey, at 4:45 a.m. Saturday on West Interstate 80, mile marker 35.4, in Rockaway Township, New Jersey, New Jersey State Police spokesman Jeff Flynn confirmed to the Herald.

Herndon also demolished a railroad motorcar and the attached trailer, said a source close to Elliott.

The source said Elliott sustained a bruised and gashed arm. It is unknown if Herndon was injured.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article212475989.html#storylink=cpy

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Can the Jets organization put a clause in player contracts to keep players the f*ck away from Dade County in the off-season?

This was in NJ.  

The DWI that Jets do is really, really bad.  This is not the had one drink too many and tried to drive a few blocks home variety.  This is high speed driving on highways where people get hit and get hurt.  

I would presume these guys get speaches?  

People thought the TE position had depth.  Oh well.  

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

This was in NJ.  

The DWI that Jets do is really, really bad.  This is not the had one drink too many and tried to drive a few blocks home variety.  This is high speed driving on highways where people get hit and get hurt.  

I would presume these guys get speaches?  

People thought the TE position had depth.  Oh well.  

That's one of the 1st things I thought of. sadly.

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Can the Jets organization put a clause in player contracts to keep players the f*ck out of Dade County in the off-season?

Or maybe these Florida boys shouldn"t come to NJ.  Something in the water?

like vodka

I’m so annoyed. All this BS about culture. This is a repeated organizational failure and their should be a protocol to proactively avoid these situations like REALLY pushing the team designated driver service or something. Tired of this crap. Cut him. CUT THEM ALL! 

Well, lets go with Leggett, Wilford, Tomilson, and even if we need Bucky Brooks for now. Herndon probably is missing at least the first few games, assuming he doesn't go to jail. Charges anywhere from criminal neglegence, DWI, etc.  can produce felonies though with a good lawyer those all go down to misdemeanors making them like a ticket. But, in the NFL can still be a like a 4 game suspension. 

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

How is this the Jets Organization fault?   They just drafted this kid out of the U....maybe they (Miami) kept these player issues out of the press, god knows they covered up stuff like this for decades.

I’m just annoyed and thought that any young player has the potential to make bad decisions when new to the NFL and lifestyle and being proactive could help avoid these issues that seem to be reoccurring. I may just be overreacting because I did not want this to be the only Jets news for today. 

Well, lets go with Leggett, Wilford, Tomilson, and even if we need Bucky Brooks for now. Herndon probably is missing at least the first few games, assuming he doesn't go to jail. Charges anywhere from criminal neglegence, DWI, etc.  can produce felonies though with a good lawyer those all go down to misdemeanors making them like a ticket. But, in the NFL can still be a like a 4 game suspension. 

They also should start these rookie contracts with severe penalties if they get into trouble like this.

Archived