Jets rookie TE Chris Herndon arrested and charged with DWI

Vudu

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I would love to dredge up the most embarrassing moment of your life and spread it across all forms of media and force you to accept being defined by that one awful moment the rest of your life. 

Embarrassing moments don't usually equate to driving drunk at triple digit speeds, and nearly murdering another human being. Usually its the guys who DUI or other pretty horrible offenses that defend such actions. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I would love to dredge up the most embarrassing moment of your life and spread it across all forms of media and force you to accept being defined by that one awful moment the rest of your life. 

for one, i am not a public figure.

embarrassing moment is when you are giving a presentation and your fly is open.   driving 100 miles an hour drunk on a high way isn't embarrassing.  It's criminal.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No one said he has to be defined by this "for the rest of his life".  I didn't say that and didn't imply that.  But it suits your purpose here in blindly defending him and, worse, Bowles.  (You might want to rid yourself of your habit of putting words in other people's mouths because you do it often.) He can and should recover from this.  But for now, 100+ MPH on I-80, putting innocent people's lives in danger while being significantly over the alcohol limit is EXACTLY who Herndon is.  When he is done with counseling and rehab, he can redefine himself.  But for now, he is a person who nearly killed others as well as himself.  Let's see him get over this the same way ASJ did.  Then he can say "it is not who he is".  But until then, he is what his arrest record says: a dangerous, irresponsible young man who put multiple lives at stake for no reason than his own pleasure.  

exactly.  how many of us have driven I80 with our kids.  

until he cleans up his act (like ASJ) this is what defines him.  a bad person who happens to be on my fav football team.  

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Embarrassing moments don't usually equate to driving drunk at triple digit speeds, and nearly murdering another human being. Usually its the guys who DUI or other pretty horrible offenses that defend such actions. 

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

for one, i am not a public figure.

embarrassing moment is when you are giving a presentation and your fly is open.   driving 100 miles an hour drunk on a high way isn't embarrassing.  It's criminal.

If you don't think people you have admired (athletes/family members) have never gotten into a car legally drunk and driven above the speed limit you are kidding yourselves. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you don't think people you have admired (athletes/family members) have never gotten into a car legally drunk and driven above the speed limit you are kidding yourselves. 

of course athletes have gotten behind the wheel drunk, and when they crash their car going 100 miles an hour i lose respect for them.

i'd say prior to UBER and frankly more focus on Drunk driving perhaps a family member has driven drunk.  but we are talking years ago.  there is no reason to drive home drunk AND be going 100 miles per hour.

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

p.s.  I have my share of embarrassing moments, but none of them could get me arrested and none of them jeopardized the lives of others or my own.  So not only did you falsely claim that I said Herndon will be defined by this 'for the rest of his life' but also you equate the dangerous crime with an "embarrasing moment".  Newsflash:  those are not the same.  

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

ok, so now you are pulling the "everybody does it" defense.  Are you a Patriots fan?  Just stop.  Herndon is a mess.  He almost killed himself and others.  He needs counseling and I hope the Jets/NFL provide it so he can approriately redefine who he is.  But as of the moment, he is a public threat.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

ok, so now you are pulling the "everybody does it" defense.  Are you a Patriots fan?  Just stop.  Herndon is a mess.  He almost killed himself and others.  He needs counseling and I hope the Jets/NFL provide it so he can approriately redefine who he is.  But as of the moment, he is a public threat.

i would suspect that perhaps JoJo has had someone close to him get charged with DUI.  

the DUI plus 100 miles an hour makes it doubly bad in my mind.  it appears Chris remembered to wear a seatbelt.  otherwise he could be dead.

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No one said he has to be defined by this "for the rest of his life".  I didn't say that and didn't imply that.  But it suits your purpose here in blindly defending him and, worse, Bowles.  (You might want to rid yourself of your habit of putting words in other people's mouths because you do it often.) He can and should recover from this.  But for now, 100+ MPH on I-80, putting innocent people's lives in danger while being significantly over the alcohol limit is EXACTLY who Herndon is.  When he is done with counseling and rehab, he can redefine himself.  But for now, he is a person who nearly killed others as well as himself.  Let's see him get over this the same way ASJ did.  Then he can say "it is not who he is".  But until then, he is what his arrest record says: a dangerous, irresponsible young man who put multiple lives at stake for no reason than his own pleasure.  

I think JJT is really Todd Bowles in disguise. We get the same unbelievable answers from JJT as you do from Bowles.

What kind of ignoramus tries to justify DWI for any reason?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This was a really bad move by him, but I'm not going to pile on.  That said, based on his interviews, he doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.  That could be a problem.

On the bright side, Jordan Leggett is a good citizen and his knee seems to be okay.

4 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

This was a really bad move by him, but I'm not going to pile on.  That said, based on his interviews, he doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.  That could be a problem.

On the bright side, Jordan Leggett is a good citizen and his knee seems to be okay.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/te-chris-herndon-i-see-this-as-an-opportunity-to-grow

how many times do athletes say they are blessed to be playing and it's a dream come true.   i wish the NFL did a better job preparing these guys.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

lol, what? Nice twist on what I said. So how often have you driven a car while intoxicated? Its sad that you defend it, probably because you or someone you "admire" lives it. I don't. Ever.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/te-chris-herndon-i-see-this-as-an-opportunity-to-grow

how many times do athletes say they are blessed to be playing and it's a dream come true.   i wish the NFL did a better job preparing these guys.

How about their parents?   Their university - prepare them for intense scrutiny, behavior to be proud of off the field, give them the tools for financial responsibility to ensure life after FB is comfortable?  Personal ownership?

A lot of these football factories don't care, all they want is trophies and the money they make by success on a football field, nothing of which is shared by the players.  Any parent or institution that depends on the financial gain thru these kids are not helping them to grow into responsible young men.  Hopefully, he has learned his lesson, and everyone moves on.

End of rant.

25 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

How about their parents?   Their university - prepare them for intense scrutiny, behavior to be proud of off the field, give them the tools for financial responsibility to ensure life after FB is comfortable?  Personal ownership?

A lot of these football factories don't care, all they want is trophies and the money they make by success on a football field, nothing of which is shared by the players.  Any parent or institution that depends on the financial gain thru these kids are not helping them to grow into responsible young men.  Hopefully, he has learned his lesson, and everyone moves on.

End of rant.

Those same "football factories" treat other students the same way. When you're in college, its not grammar school, you're on your own to learn or not to learn. Its not the schools responsibility or the NFL's to make these people into wealth management aficionados or anything else really. College, NFL, its all optional, as is much in life. Learn or don't, up to you. Its on the individual.

33 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

End of rant.

didn't he go to a football factory in florida?  they don't care as long as he brings in the money.  

you can say we need parents to help but you know in many of these cases parents aren't as involved as they should be.  

let's just be happy he didn't hurt himself or anyone else (significantly).  

7 minutes ago, pointman said:

Those same "football factories" treat other students the same way. When you're in college, its not grammar school, you're on your own to learn or not to learn. Its not the schools responsibility or the NFL's to make these people into wealth management aficionados or anything else really. College, NFL, its all optional, as is much in life. Learn or don't, up to you. Its on the individual.

while i understand you point, for the most part these are kids who haven't seen this kind of money before and they got nothing out of college that teaches them how to handle themselves.  The NFL should provide more support and teaching to these guys - and i know they already try.

investment banks train their new analysts for what 3 months.  part of that training is also non technical.  so lots of companies/firms do these types of things.

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

while i understand you point, for the most part these are kids who haven't seen this kind of money before and they got nothing out of college that teaches them how to handle themselves.  The NFL should provide more support and teaching to these guys - and i know they already try.

investment banks train their new analysts for what 3 months.  part of that training is also non technical.  so lots of companies/firms do these types of things.

I know.  You do know where USC is located?  If you viewed a map of California, color coded by the areas rich with football talent, the area around USC would be the densest concentration of color.  

I've spoken to parents and grandparents of players that come out of our surrounding communities, and they're so proud that their sons will be playing for a school that is a top #21 academic university with a powerful alumni network known to take care of their own, post graduation.  The academic support for our athletes is one of the best in the country.

Our former players founded their own alumni club in 1956, which they claim is the only one of it's kind in the country, to support the young players once they leave school, to act as mentors, connect them with Trojans in every industry to advise them...they even award two scholarships - one named after John Wayne, for two players who chose to pursue an advanced degree in lue of an NFL career.  They are very involved with the university.

30 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I know.  You do know where USC is located?  If you viewed a map of California, color coded by the areas rich with football talent, the area around USC would be the densest concentration of color.  

I've spoken to parents and grandparents of players that come out of our surrounding communities, and they're so proud that their sons will be playing for a school that is a top #21 academic university with a powerful alumni network known to take care of their own, post graduation.  The academic support for our athletes is one of the best in the country.

Our former players founded their own alumni club in 1956, which they claim is the only one of it's kind in the country, to support the young players once they leave school, to act as mentors, connect them with Trojans in every industry to advise them...they even award two scholarships - one named after John Wayne, for two players who chose to pursue an advanced degree in lue of an NFL career.  They are very involved with the university.

USC is a solid school no doubt.  i didn't know about the player support which is very cool.

i did not realize USC was 21st academically.  it really has improved since i applied to colleges many years ago.  my college is now number 5 and no way in heck i'd get in today.  when i went they were begging for people to attend.

52 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

USC is a solid school no doubt.  i didn't know about the player support which is very cool.

i did not realize USC was 21st academically.  it really has improved since i applied to colleges many years ago.  my college is now number 5 and no way in heck i'd get in today.  when i went they were begging for people to attend.

I couldn't get into USC right now, either...the acceptance rate dropped to 13% in 2018.  

This tells you about TFAC (Trojan Football Alumni Club) if you are curious.  Sam will have the support of this club, even in New York.

https://plus.google.com/+Trojanfootballalumni

23 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I couldn't get into USC right now, either...the acceptance rate dropped to 13% in 2018.  

This tells you about TFAC (Trojan Football Alumni Club) if you are curious.  Sam will have the support of this club, even in New York.

https://plus.google.com/+Trojanfootballalumni

I believe USC treats the children of its alumni (and their friends) very favorably in admissions.

If you are not one of those, you need to be very, very smart.  Those students are often on scholarship.

It is effectively 2 schools-the social kids who populate the fraternities and sororities, and the other students.  

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I believe USC treats the children of its alumni (and their friends) very favorably in admissions.

If you are not one of those, you need to be very, very smart.  Those students are often on scholarship.

It is effectively 2 schools-the social kids who populate the fraternities and sororities, and the other students.  

I know a number of my friends that are very concerned their grandchildren will not be able to get into USC.  I believe the number of scions admitted stands at 16% for the 2018 class.  

https://news.usc.edu/139338/usc-acceptance-rate-fall-2018-admission/

35455CCF-1901-4F52-BDD4-FE67C1AECAAD-584-000000CE3BD99581.jpeg

I was pissed at robbie. I was pissed at donohue. I was pissed at Bowles 

Then I started looking into the arrest stats and the overwhelming majority of the players keep their jobs after an arrest. 

It's supply and demand. 

There are more astronauts on active duty than starting QBs in the NFL. 

There are 3 times as many heart surgeons as total players in the NFL 

These guys are just too hard to replace or there would be plenty of consequences. 

It's also the candidate pool. The job is super violent and requires serious risk taking. There will always be a small fraction that can't manage it. 

I remember when Tomlin got caught calling the cheaters assholes. 

One of the Steelers said basically, "look what we do for a living, we hit people, we are all assholes" 

So we basically have 1500 rich young famous risk loving assholes with fast cars and free time that are more difficult to replace than heart surgeons. 

10 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

End of rant.

Represent:

UNIVERSITY-OF-MIAMI.jpg

14 hours ago, Larz said:

I was pissed at robbie. I was pissed at donohue. I was pissed at Bowles 

Then I started looking into the arrest stats and the overwhelming majority of the players keep their jobs after an arrest. 

It's supply and demand. 

There are more astronauts on active duty than starting QBs in the NFL. 

There are 3 times as many heart surgeons as total players in the NFL 

These guys are just too hard to replace or there would be plenty of consequences. 

It's also the candidate pool. The job is super violent and requires serious risk taking. There will always be a small fraction that can't manage it. 

I remember when Tomlin got caught calling the cheaters assholes. 

One of the Steelers said basically, "look what we do for a living, we hit people, we are all assholes" 

So we basically have 1500 rich young famous risk loving assholes with fast cars and free time that are more difficult to replace than heart surgeons. 

while i agree with part of the comments - some of these just are incorrect in my opinion.

the reason there are 3x as many heart surgeons is that there is no restricted supply.  i guarantee that thousands of college players would love to play in the pros.  

the majority of these players are easy to replace but obviously at a slight degradation of quality.  and that keeps them around.  once it gets to the marginal players, those guys get cut very quickly.  

if this happened to a 7th round pick in his second year, he'd be gone.

50 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

while i agree with part of the comments - some of these just are incorrect in my opinion.

the reason there are 3x as many heart surgeons is that there is no restricted supply.  i guarantee that thousands of college players would love to play in the pros.  

the majority of these players are easy to replace but obviously at a slight degradation of quality.  and that keeps them around.  once it gets to the marginal players, those guys get cut very quickly.  

The stats don't support that. Maybe a fullback or kicker but WR or edge rusher gets multiple chances 

My point is that this isn't about morality or leadership it's supply and demand 

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

The stats don't support that. Maybe a fullback or kicker but WR or edge rusher gets multiple chances 

it's about getting that very last benefit.  there is plenty of demand to work in the NFL.  the supply of jobs is restricted.  

the marginal players will get cut.  the players harder to replace will be kept around.  

for the hard to fill positions like edge rusher yes it's about supply and demand.    so we both are right :-)

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

what is a scion?

I think a scion is like a legacy.  IOW, a kid whose parent went to USC.

Most schools favor legacies in admissions for the simple reason that families of people going to the same school give a lot more money to that school...

17 hours ago, varjet said:

That’s true of USC and most first tier private colleges that are just glorified summer camps for rich kids

Just try getting into Princeton without having a parent who didn’t go there

18 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I went to Rutgers back in the early 2000’s when most kids in my high school considered it merely a safety school now every man, woman and child in the northeast is trying to get in there because you get the same education as Ivy League at 1/3 the price

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Isn't a TE/h-back basically just a glorified FB?  

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

But not a 5th rounder in their second year, right? 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

That’s true of USC and most first tier private colleges that are just glorified summer camps for rich kids

USC is long past "Sun Tan U", it is now drawing from the top minds in the country.

Back to your QB, did you know surfer boy was heavily recruited to play football  by Harvard and Yale?  They do not offer athletic scholarships to their athletes, they must qualify academically to play a sport in an Ivy League university.  He almost committed to Duke, but I don't know if they make academic allowances for football players.

it's the offseason, so just offering worthless tidbits!

59 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I think a scion is like a legacy.  IOW, a kid whose parent went to USC.

Most schools favor legacies in admissions for the simple reason that families of people going to the same school give a lot more money to that school...

it helps but at the top schools it doesn't matter that much anymore.  all else being equal sure, especially if you have consistently given 1-2k a year.  

i was sitting next to a guy who worked for the family of a big korean cell phone company.  the husband of one of the daughters went to columbia.  they donated a ton of money to columbia.  could not get their kid in.  

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

i have had many kids from princeton work for me 15 years ago - i tell you the non connected kids who go to princeton are very impressive.  like these were really really smart and sharp kids

i have some columbia kids intern for me now.  they are very talented.

where did you go to school?

Archived