Jets rookie TE Chris Herndon arrested and charged with DWI

Vudu

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I went to Rutgers back in the early 2000’s when most kids in my high school considered it merely a safety school now every man, woman and child in the northeast is trying to get in there because you get the same education as Ivy League at 1/3 the price

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I went to Rutgers back in the early 2000’s when most kids in my high school considered it merely a safety school now every man, woman and child in the northeast is trying to get in there because you get the same education as Ivy League at 1/3 the price

Rutgers is a good school.  it's moved up from being everyone's safety school.  

that being said, an Ivy education opens a lot more doors than Rutgers and for the most part it's now need blind.  the only people who should go to rutgers are parents whose incomes fall in the 150-300k a year trap.  too poor to pay full freight in college but too rich to get enough aid.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

USC is long past "Sun Tan U", it is now drawing from the top minds in the country.

Back to your QB, did you know surfer boy was heavily recruited to play football  by Harvard and Yale?  They do not offer athletic scholarships to their athletes, they must qualify academically to play a sport in an Ivy League university.  He almost committed to Duke, but I don't know if they make academic allowances for football players.

it's the offseason, so just offering worthless tidbits!

this means the boy has at least a half a head on his shoulders.  this is positive.

do people make distinctions now about USC?  i.e. you can tell the older generation of USC grads are just so much weaker than the newer kids graduating?

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i have had many kids from princeton work for me 15 years ago - i tell you the non connected kids who go to princeton are very impressive.  like these were really really smart and sharp kids

i have some columbia kids intern for me now.  they are very talented.

where did you go to school?

i see you went to Rutgers.  It's always been one of the top state schools in the country.  especially some of the more selective programs.

i can see people from Rutgers having a chip on their shoulders regarding Princeton given the proximity.  

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

it helps but at the top schools it doesn't matter that much anymore.  all else being equal sure, especially if you have consistently given 1-2k a year.  

i was sitting next to a guy who worked for the family of a big korean cell phone company.  the husband of one of the daughters went to columbia.  they donated a ton of money to columbia.  could not get their kid in.  

It's definitely not 100% by any means, but I think it helps more than you imply.  (Though supposedly only if you apply early decision - meaning that you're committing to accepting if they accept you.)

I know someone whose parents went to Stanford (and the mom is a prof there).  She was rejected by every single Ivy - but accepted at Stanford.

Schools are typically quite open about when it's an advantage.  See for example: https://ucomm.stanford.edu/cds/2015#admission

and you'll see that "Alumni/ae relation" is "considered" in the admissions process.  Which is the same level as volunteer work, 1st generation student, etc.

9 minutes ago, thshadow said:

It's definitely not 100% by any means, but I think it helps more than you imply.  (Though supposedly only if you apply early decision - meaning that you're committing to accepting if they accept you.)

I know someone whose parents went to Stanford (and the mom is a prof there).  She was rejected by every single Ivy - but accepted at Stanford.

Schools are typically quite open about when it's an advantage.  See for example: https://ucomm.stanford.edu/cds/2015#admission

and you'll see that "Alumni/ae relation" is "considered" in the admissions process.  Which is the same level as volunteer work, 1st generation student, etc.

i think have two parents as alum AND a parent being a professor there carries a ton of weight.

i have heard the early decision thing as well.  makes sense.

alum and giving (unless it's at huge levels and even that isn't a lock anymore) help but it can't get weak students in.  these schools just can't waste spots on average kids.

stanford was the other school with quite impressive kids.  

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

this means the boy has at least a half a head on his shoulders.  this is positive.

do people make distinctions now about USC?  i.e. you can tell the older generation of USC grads are just so much weaker than the newer kids graduating?

There is a huge difference between the academic requirements now, and previous generations of Trojans....but these young ones owe a debt of gratitude to those that came before them, for the wealth they poured into the school which made it possible for USC to attract the top professors, buy land to expand and beautify the campus, and to significantly increase scholarship funds for those in need of assistance to maintain the socio/economic diversity on it's campus.

USC raised 6 billion dollars in fundraising over five years.  

The school has ranked third in fundraising, after Harvard and Stanford the past 10 years.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, batman10023 said:

that being said, an Ivy education opens a lot more doors than Rutgers and for the most part it's now need blind.  the only people who should go to rutgers are parents whose incomes fall in the 150-300k a year trap.  too poor to pay full freight in college but too rich to get enough aid.  

Bingo. And that income segment of the population with college age kids is tremendous. I have 2 who are done and one about to start and we had to go the Rutgers/State school route due to too much income to get need based scholarships and too little to afford the pricey private institutions. Very frustrating for parents.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Bingo. And that income segment of the population with college age kids is tremendous. I have 2 who are done and one about to start and we had to go the Rutgers/State school route due to too much income to get need based scholarships and too little to afford the pricey private institutions. Very frustrating for parents.

a ton of people in the NJ/NY area fall into that category.  and that's why Rutgers is getting so many good students.  

i'd choose Rutgers over a above average private if i was paying full freight.  For a school like buknell or lehigh.  and those are good schools, my wife got a full ride to Lehigh many years ago.

I just read recently that Columbia Medical school just got a big donation  (250mm) that allows all their kids to go and not have any loans.   they are going to be able to attract amazing students.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, batman10023 said:

Well yeah Ivy League has connections for jobs plus if you have a bachelors from there you can get into basically any grad school you want m

But I think the quality of the education itself at Rutgers is on par with Ivy League.  Remember Rutgers professors are drawn from the same New York City/Philly talent pool as a Columbia or UPenn

On 6/19/2018 at 12:11 PM, batman10023 said:

i see you went to Rutgers.  It's always been one of the top state schools in the country.  especially some of the more selective programs.

i can see people from Rutgers having a chip on their shoulders regarding Princeton given the proximity.  

Rutgers wasn’t recognized nationally as an academic force until the past recession when everyone in the northeast’s parents started sending their kids there

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Rutgers wasn’t recognized nationally as an academic force until the past recession when everyone in the northeast’s parents started sending their kids there

Rutgers (overall) is still not really ranked national as an academic force.  it's ranked 69 in US News and world report.  However, some of their selective schools are very good and has great value.   if i recall correctly it was called "rutgers college" when i was applying but it might have a dfferent term now.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Well yeah Ivy League has connections for jobs plus if you have a bachelors from there you can get into basically any grad school you want m

But I think the quality of the education itself at Rutgers is on par with Ivy League.  Remember Rutgers professors are drawn from the same New York City/Philly talent pool as a Columbia or UPenn

i don't think the quality of the education at the Ivy's is multiples of the level of other schools but it's still pretty good.  The best part of the Ivy's is the connections/alumni network (for your early years) and the other students.

The professors at these big reasearch institutions are hit or miss anyway.  some can't teach for their life.

i usually have 1-2 summer interns from Columbia every year.   They are so impressive and well rounded.  and i usually get the dregs.

i am scared to think how hard it is going to be for my kids to get into college.  It's super competitive and extremely expensive.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That is not true. I chose Rutgers when accepted at other schools because of a few reasons. Ultimately I left and continued elsewhere. Rutgers is not on par with Ivy League schools. 

33 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i don't think the quality of the education at the Ivy's is multiples of the level of other schools but it's still pretty good.  The best part of the Ivy's is the connections/alumni network (for your early years) and the other students.

The professors at these big reasearch institutions are hit or miss anyway.  some can't teach for their life.

i usually have 1-2 summer interns from Columbia every year.   They are so impressive and well rounded.  and i usually get the dregs.

i am scared to think how hard it is going to be for my kids to get into college.  It's super competitive and extremely expensive.

I went to an Ivy league school.  I suspect I would not get in if  I applied now -- just too many damn people applying.  It has definitely helped me along the way and will certainly help you if you apply to grad school.

3 hours ago, pointman said:

That is not true. I chose Rutgers when accepted at other schools because of a few reasons. Ultimately I left and continued elsewhere. Rutgers is not on par with Ivy League schools. 

for the $$ it's a darn good school.  but as i said i would go to an Ivy if cost was not a factor (and i could get in).

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I went to an Ivy league school.  I suspect I would not get in if  I applied now -- just too many damn people applying.  It has definitely helped me along the way and will certainly help you if you apply to grad school.

there is no "suspecting" on my part.  i would have no chance.

Straight A's and good SAT scores alone don't get you in there.  

Archived