Anyone here ever quit drinking?

Jet_Engine1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Fell off the wagon yesterday. Feel terrible about it. Did a ton of Yard work in about 100* heat. Neighbor walked over with cold beers and I figured what the heck, I worked my ass off, its hot, and its only a beer..... Woke up feeling like sh*t and my wifes disappointment.  I recognize that it was a slip, a moment of bad judgement, but I need to stay at zero. None. Day 1 on the clock.

Mistakes happen.  Keep moving forward.  You got this.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Fell off the wagon yesterday. Feel terrible about it. Did a ton of Yard work in about 100* heat. Neighbor walked over with cold beers and I figured what the heck, I worked my ass off, its hot, and its only a beer..... Woke up feeling like sh*t and my wifes disappointment.  I recognize that it was a slip, a moment of bad judgement, but I need to stay at zero. None. Day 1 on the clock.

Relapse is 1000% part of any recovery program. It’s baked in and expected. You do good for awhile, get your confidence up, and then “reward” yourself with the behavior. It happens. It’s a fork in the road now: you either feel like a loser with no power over your behaviors or you forgive yourself and get back on the horse with the awareness that you’ll be confronted with the same emotional and practical scenario again and again, and next time you’ll make a more informed choice.

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's great that you're owning it and committed to the process. I've been in that scenario many a time; putting in a hard day's work and "rewarding" myself with a couple of beers. Thing is, that couple of beers turns into a 12-pack and a rough morning the next day. 

There's a good group of people here and we can help hold each other accountable in situations like this. We're here if you need support or encouragement. Good luck to you. 

1 hour ago, Bombdirt said:

It's great that you're owning it and committed to the process. I've been in that scenario many a time; putting in a hard day's work and "rewarding" myself with a couple of beers. Thing is, that couple of beers turns into a 12-pack and a rough morning the next day. 

There's a good group of people here and we can help hold each other accountable in situations like this. We're here if you need support or encouragement. Good luck to you. 

JN Friends of Bill W Meeting Thread.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Tell your neighbor you are working hard at staying sober. If he is a good guy he will support your choice by not bringing you alchohol.

Addiction is a SOB. There are always experiences and underlying issues in our lives that can cause some of us to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. It is a way of masking, hiding from the uncomfortable emotions. A 12 step program and a good therapist could help you take this to the next level.

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Admittedly I have no first-hand or off-hand experience with any of this, but:

(1) if the goal is to stay 100% sober, then as you said, you recognize this was a slip and that it’s going to happen. The key is whether or not you can pick yourself back up and get right back to it.

(2) is the goal to be 100% sober, or is it to become responsible with it? Because if I’m reading this correctly, one beer once every couple of weeks seems perfectly responsible. Sometimes I feel like there’s such a stigma within society that you may feel that you have to go from one extreme to another by trying to stay completely dry, when maybe it’s just about learning moderation? Hope you’re not beating yourself up over just one beer for the first time in 3 weeks!

Either way, best of luck!

On 6/24/2018 at 12:37 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just like in most aspects of sports .. it's a process. Get back up on the horse and ride my brother. 

I guess I will add my thoughts/story.

I drank like a fish since I was 17 or so, unfortunately in rural Maine theres not an overabundance to do. I had run ins with the law, blew out my knee, tore my shoulder up good too along the way. At age 36 I quit cold turkey in 2006, and felt pretty good about things. My health was better thats for sure, along with my wallet. I got my life in order for the most part.

Then in the fall of 2014 my best friend killed himself, and the factory I worked at closed in the spring of 2015, thus ending my job. I thought about drinking heavily, but always talked myself out of it. I went to college for free because of the outsourced job, and was in my first semester of a business administration degree at age 45. Then my wife walked out, having a midlife crisis. 15 years of marriage thrown out the window. Then my father passed away 6 months later. I broke down into a deep depression and started drinking again, slowly picking up the intensity. Last winter I ran head on into a white birch tree on my snowmobile going roughly 70 mph while drinking. I thought I was dead, or at least busted up in good shape. But... I had no broken bones. My sled was nearly folded in half though.

I now wonder how the hell I even made it this far in life. I took so many risks through the years while drinking, stupid risks. So much bad could have happened, and I reflect upon it often.

I have now greatly moderated my booze intake, and feel like I could quit cold turkey again if needed. I slip back down the ladder once in awhile, thinking of my Dad and my effing wife. But..... I wont stop moving forward, and I wont stop trying to have a better life. I graduated college with honors, and was the oldest in my class. I did that for me, to prove a point to myself. I wanted to plant my flag in the mound of BS that I was dealing with at the time.  MY FLAG MFer!

There are many ways people can screw up, its all in how you learn from the mistakes. Nothing is going to stop you but yourself, and nothing feels sweeter than achieving your goal, whatever that may be. If you let booze control you, its nearly impossible for your mind to make good decisions. I know you are on the right track, you just gotta fine tune the carbs a bit to get optimum mileage.

MAN HUG

13 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I drank like a fish since I was 17 or so, unfortunately in rural Maine theres not an overabundance to do. I had run ins with the law.................

A sincere thank you for sharing that. Be aware you are not alone in your experiences. Very similar psychological traumas are experienced by many of us myself included. 

At an early age I was taught by example that it was ok to drink every day till drunk and to be psychologically and physically abusive to family. It took me quite a few years to realize the damage that was done to all of us. I have come to understand why dad was the way he was. He saw horrible things as a combat vet in WW2 and used booze to self medicate. I have chosen to forgive him. I stopped booze and drugs years ago and have recaptured my life. 2 of my siblings are not as lucky.

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

A sincere thank you for sharing that. Be aware you are not alone in your experiences. Very similar psychological traumas are experienced by many of us myself included. 

At an early age I was taught by example that it was ok to drink every day till drunk and to be psychologically and physically abusive to family. It took me quite a few years to realize the damage that was done to all of us. I have come to understand why dad was the way he was. He saw horrible things as a combat vet in WW2 and used booze to self medicate. I have chosen to forgive him. I stopped booze and drugs years ago and have recaptured my life. 2 of my siblings are not as lucky.

It was very liberating to get that off my chest actually, and Im glad I did. Its good to have a venue here to talk about stuff like this.

My Dad was a drunk most of my younger years, he was a marine in the Korean War. His Dad was a marine in Japan in WW2, and had trouble dealing with his family till his passing.

44 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I drank like a fish since I was 17 or so, unfortunately in rural Maine theres not an overabundance to do. I had run ins with the law, blew out my knee, tore my shoulder up good too along the way. At age 36 I quit cold turkey in 2006, and felt pretty good about things. My health was better thats for sure, along with my wallet. I got my life in order for the most part.

Then in the fall of 2014 my best friend killed himself, and the factory I worked at closed in the spring of 2015, thus ending my job. I thought about drinking heavily, but always talked myself out of it. I went to college for free because of the outsourced job, and was in my first semester of a business administration degree at age 45. Then my wife walked out, having a midlife crisis. 15 years of marriage thrown out the window. Then my father passed away 6 months later. I broke down into a deep depression and started drinking again, slowly picking up the intensity. Last winter I ran head on into a white birch tree on my snowmobile going roughly 70 mph while drinking. I thought I was dead, or at least busted up in good shape. But... I had no broken bones. My sled was nearly folded in half though.

I now wonder how the hell I even made it this far in life. I took so many risks through the years while drinking, stupid risks. So much bad could have happened, and I reflect upon it often.

I have now greatly moderated my booze intake, and feel like I could quit cold turkey again if needed. I slip back down the ladder once in awhile, thinking of my Dad and my effing wife. But..... I wont stop moving forward, and I wont stop trying to have a better life. I graduated college with honors, and was the oldest in my class. I did that for me, to prove a point to myself. I wanted to plant my flag in the mound of BS that I was dealing with at the time.  MY FLAG MFer!

There are many ways people can screw up, its all in how you learn from the mistakes. Nothing is going to stop you but yourself, and nothing feels sweeter than achieving your goal, whatever that may be. If you let booze control you, its nearly impossible for your mind to make good decisions. I know you are on the right track, you just gotta fine tune the carbs a bit to get optimum mileage.

MAN HUG

Hell of a story man. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you’ve been through some tough stuff but came out better for it on the other side.

13 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

Hell of a story man. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you’ve been through some tough stuff but came out better for it on the other side.

Well it remains to be seen if its better, but it has potential LOL

There arent any magic pills or easy answers to anything. Bum, if you ever need to shoot the sh*t with a stranger, let me know. I'm using this forum for my own accountability, but I welcome any who need a place to vent about this kind of stuff. Things that were funny at 25 get real sad at 45. Thanks for the share, brother.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:10 AM, T0mShane said:

Weed is amazing for my anxiety, but the downside is it puts me right to sleep, usually, so I rarely do it. I also feel like a moron sneaking under the oven vent and stuffing a little glass pipe with rank shrubbery like some degenerate teen, stinking up the entire place like a gross Hookah den. I realize this is vestigial shame borne of Nancy Reagan’s “Just Say No” crap that was burned into my brain as a youth, but it is what it is. When I was in Colorado last year, some dude was using a vape pen that delivered 98% THC, with no odor and almost no smoke. That’s the future right there.

Vape pens are great. But if you're getting knocked out then it sounds like you should be trying a different strand.

On 6/20/2018 at 7:28 AM, TeddEY said:

One thing I used to do when I had a bit more time was go to a rock climbing gym.  Less impact on the lower body and a lot of the same benefits.  Plus most gyms are super friendly and welcoming.  Worth checking out if you’re looking for a healthy outlet.

They just pointed their fingers and laughed when I showed up. Probably just picked the wrong one. 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:07 PM, BUM-KNEE said:

MAN HUG

Wow that's nuts but awesome story 

10 minutes ago, ljr said:

Pic ?

;)

I wish this was 1989 lol

All I remember know is her name was Lisa and she dumped me when her boyfriend came home from a month long trip 

The bar is now the oasis in Smithtown 

Weed isn't legal anywhere, the feds have allowed some states to decriminalize recreational use 

You'll know its legal when pilots and truck drivers can smoke it lol

This is Tru .. but have you been to Soho lately ..basically legal .. no more arrests ... You 'might' get fined

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 6/28/2018 at 7:07 PM, BUM-KNEE said:

MAN HUG

WOW.....  we all are basically one step from being alone.  Life is a TOUGH road sometimes.  Often I ask myself..."Whats it all about"?  

Ive got 2 grown kids, im divorced, relatively happy but two years ago I think ..they both had XMAS plans out of town and i spent XMAS day solo. 

My GF was with her mom out of state. 

Life aint all roses sometimes...  Hang in there.  

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

WOW.....  we all are basically one step from being alone.  Life is a TOUGH road sometimes.  Often I ask myself..."Whats it all about"?  

Ive got 2 grown kids, im divorced, relatively happy but two years ago I think ..they both had XMAS plans out of town and i spent XMAS day solo. 

My GF was with her mom out of state. 

Life aint all roses sometimes...  Hang in there.  

Im trying man, just going day by day.

20 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This is Tru .. but have you been to Soho lately ..basically legal .. no more arrests ... You 'might' get fined

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh I know it's easier to smoke, in a few states you can smoke your face off every day if you like, but it's still illegal 

The weed farmers can't even insure their crops 

• 5 weeks later...

@Jet_Engine1 any updates on your journey? Have to say reading your original post has had me doing some self introspection on my own habits when it comes to drinking and I have to say thank you for helping me gain awareness in the matter. In college I would drink like crazy, it was something I just looked forward to every weekend. Having grown up more and getting further away from that mindset, I'm starting to find alcohol less and less desirable than ever before. Waking up with hangovers, social embarrassments, and just down right feeling disgusting isn't appealing anymore. I wont lie I still enjoy a few on special occasions but my days of drinking to get drunk appear to be over. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter, but I wont ramble on anymore lol. Hope everything is going well! 

5 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

@Jet_Engine1 any updates on your journey? Have to say reading your original post has had me doing some self introspection on my own habits when it comes to drinking and I have to say thank you for helping me gain awareness in the matter. In college I would drink like crazy, it was something I just looked forward to every weekend. Having grown up more and getting further away from that mindset, I'm starting to find alcohol less and less desirable than ever before. Waking up with hangovers, social embarrassments, and just down right feeling disgusting isn't appealing anymore. I wont lie I still enjoy a few on special occasions but my days of drinking to get drunk appear to be over. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter, but I wont ramble on anymore lol. Hope everything is going well! 

Yes. I haven't been perfect, and I looked into various programs and found that AA just isn't for me. I've done more science based research (I like how the Scandanavian treatment method is to regulate and moderate use, not force total abstinence) as well as trying to figure out the root cause as to why I had an urge or need to drink to excess whenever I started. I've made a lot of progress on that front, and I've made a serious commitment and a focused effort to "be better" than that.

I have not drank to excess since my hiccup last month with my neighbor. I've cut out hard liquor entirely, but I have enjoyed glasses of wine in certain situations (My parents 50th Anniversary, birthday....I went to Yard House for my 47th Birthday, primarily for the Poke Nachos and had 2 Sapporo with dinner - and got carded lol but stopped after 2. That used to just be my pregame primer). 

BUT I have been dilligent in setting limits and staying within them. I have not had a hangover in more than a month, and its been great. I've saved money and felt better, and my wife is very happy. I initially took the AA approach that you can't even have 1 drink, or you are a complete failure, but I don't think that kind of approach will help me and be sustainable. I needed to evaluate how I was abusing alcohol when I drank and why, and having done that, I think right now I'm in a good place. But I also know I need to avoid certain situations and be cautious that I dont make excuses or find reasons why I "deserve" to have more than a few. Getting drunk isn't an award, and it feels like crap....and majes my wife unhappy. 

Its a work in progress. You know, its a process....

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. I haven't been perfect, and I looked into various programs and found that AA just isn't for me. I've done more science based research (I like how the Scandanavian treatment method is to regulate and moderate use, not force total abstinence) as well as trying to figure out the root cause as to why I had an urge or need to drink to excess whenever I started. I've made a lot of progress on that front, and I've made a serious commitment and a focused effort to "be better" than that.

I have not drank to excess since my hiccup last month with my neighbor. I've cut out hard liquor entirely, but I have enjoyed glasses of wine in certain situations (My parents 50th Anniversary, birthday....I went to Yard House for my 47th Birthday, primarily for the Poke Nachos and had 2 Sapporo with dinner - and got carded lol but stopped after 2. That used to just be my pregame primer). 

BUT I have been dilligent in setting limits and staying within them. I have not had a hangover in more than a month, and its been great. I've saved money and felt better, and my wife is very happy. I initially took the AA approach that you can't even have 1 drink, or you are a complete failure, but I don't think that kind of approach will help me and be sustainable. I needed to evaluate how I was abusing alcohol when I drank and why, and having done that, I think right now I'm in a good place. But I also know I need to avoid certain situations and be cautious that I dont make excuses or find reasons why I "deserve" to have more than a few. Getting drunk isn't an award, and it feels like crap....and majes my wife unhappy. 

Its a work in progress. You know, its a process....

That's awesome! Seems like you have made good progress, and you definitely have the right head on your shoulders. I can see what you mean with that AA approach, absolutely no room for failure, and very unforgiving. Works for some people and koudos to them, but for most it doesn't, and I know it wouldn't work for me either. However continue to stay diligent as you mentioned and you will continue to see success. It may never become easier, but you will become stronger and smarter regarding the urges.

But i'm happy to hear that. Keep avoiding those hangovers, saving that money, and making the wife happy! A lot of noticeable benefits it seems to cut down on drinking.

Onwards and upwards brother. 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Anyone ever feel compelled to quit drinking? Not the casual, "Nah, don't feel like a beer today" quit, but the "I need to evalute what drinking is doing in my life" quitting. I know, kind of a deep topic, but I was at my uncles funeral over the weekend with family, and I still feel like crap from boozing with cousins. I think for me it might be time to give it up...I'm in my 40s, married with 2 kids and I still drink like a soldier on leave once I start.  Just wondering on the anonymity of the internet if anyone else here (aside from Joe Namath lol) ever decided to give it up and if it took. 

I quit drinking once. it was the worst 12 hours of my life

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, BUM-KNEE said:

Im trying man, just going day by day.

Thats where I am right now. Had some bumps along the way, but working through it. I can say this, of the times I've drank in the last few months, I was never glad that I fell off the wagon. 

Archived