Jump to content
Jet_Engine1

Anyone here ever quit drinking?

Recommended Posts

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Anyone ever feel compelled to quit drinking? Not the casual, "Nah, don't feel like a beer today" quit, but the "I need to evalute what drinking is doing in my life" quitting. I know, kind of a deep topic, but I was at my uncles funeral over the weekend with family, and I still feel like crap from boozing with cousins. I think for me it might be time to give it up...I'm in my 40s, married with 2 kids and I still drink like a soldier on leave once I start.  Just wondering on the anonymity of the internet if anyone else here (aside from Joe Namath lol) ever decided to give it up and if it took. 

Been there done that. Ad Nauseum.  Was a "functioning" alcoholic for 30+ years.  Finally got "tired of being tired".  You always think that people don't know, but they do.  Trust me.  It'll be eight years in July.  I don't miss it.  Your life will be so much better, you'll be mad at yourself for all of the time you wasted.  Just make up your mind that you simply refuse to have another drink and that  it's not an option.  Cold Turkey.  It's not that hard. I am sure that you don't drink nearly as much as I did.  I had no wife and kids to answer to,  {I do now } so it was easy to go home after working 12 hours and get blasted.  Who was going to say anything?  My dogs? My Girlfriend? You have a lot more at stake than I did at the time.  If you're thinking about it then you know the answer. Go for it.  It is not hard.  Good luck.  Your wife and kids will be the winners as will you.  If you have any questions,  I'd be happy to answer them Good Luck, my friend.  BTW just noticed the date of the post.  The comments and offer still stand.  Regards,

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thats where I am right now. Had some bumps along the way, but working through it. I can say this, of the times I've drank in the last few months, I was never glad that I fell off the wagon. 

Keep hanging in there bud, every misstep simply tells you which path not to take.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a friend of mine quit.   He just realized he had been drinking pretty good for as long as he could remember, and figured he would stop.   He's happier, feels better, better dad to his 2 little kids not being hung over once or twice a week.    As a side note, he dropped 40 pounds in about 12 weeks, and he looks a lot better.

I drank some, now I'm a 2 drink a week kind of guy.   I get terrible hangovers, not all that related to how much I drink.   If I eat sugary food and drink even a couple, I feel awful.  A glass of wine with dinner here and there, and I'm good.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 11:50 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Been there done that. Ad Nauseum.  Was a "functioning" alcoholic for 30+ years.  Finally got "tired of being tired".  You always think that people don't know, but they do.  Trust me.  It'll be eight years in July.  I don't miss it.  Your life will be so much better, you'll be mad at yourself for all of the time you wasted.  Just make up your mind that you simply refuse to have another drink and that  it's not an option.  Cold Turkey.  It's not that hard. I am sure that you don't drink nearly as much as I did.  I had no wife and kids to answer to,  {I do now } so it was easy to go home after working 12 hours and get blasted.  Who was going to say anything?  My dogs? My Girlfriend? You have a lot more at stake than I did at the time.  If you're thinking about it then you know the answer. Go for it.  It is not hard.  Good luck.  Your wife and kids will be the winners as will you.  If you have any questions,  I'd be happy to answer them Good Luck, my friend.  BTW just noticed the date of the post.  The comments and offer still stand.  Regards,

Great post!!!  I haven't stopped, but cut WAY BACK and after golf the guys look at me like WTF??  On occasion I have a Mich Ultra with them but that's it.    No more til i'm hammered drinking etc.  I now get up everyday at 5am (like now) and am learning a new language. Weekends get up at 6.  Drinking would never allow for that.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Great post!!!  I haven't stopped, but cut WAY BACK and after golf the guys look at me like WTF??  On occasion I have a Mich Ultra with them but that's it.    No more til i'm hammered drinking etc.  I now get up everyday at 5am (like now) and am learning a new language. Weekends get up at 6.  Drinking would never allow for that.

I really don't miss it.  Wife says if you quit so easily, then maybe you weren't an alcoholic.  But I  was.  Loved getting blasted. And fast.  Beer wasn't enough.  Stopped that in my twenties. Scotch, Vodka, and Jack Daniels.  Never was really social.  Sure I drank socially, but it was more than that.  That was a façade.  Still get mad at myself sometimes, about all of the wasted years.  Guess it doesn't matter much.  Love my wife, kids, dogs, cats, bird.  Guess that's the important thing.  Regards.  For the guys  with a "problem" moderation does not work.  At least initially.  If you moderate you'll invariably end up right back where you started, in my opinion.  Just have to make up their mind that they're, "tired of  being tired".  My best to you.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 7:33 AM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I really don't miss it.  Wife says if you quit so easily, then maybe you weren't an alcoholic.  But I  was.  Loved getting blasted. And fast.  Beer wasn't enough.  Stopped that in my twenties. Scotch, Vodka, and Jack Daniels.  Never was really social.  Sure I drank socially, but it was more than that.  That was a façade.  Still get mad at myself sometimes, about all of the wasted years.  Guess it doesn't matter much.  Love my wife, kids, dogs, cats, bird.  Guess that's the important thing.  Regards.  For the guys  with a "problem" moderation does not work.  At least initially.  If you moderate you'll invariably end up right back where you started, in my opinion.  Just have to make up their mind that they're, "tired of  being tired".  My best to you.

I read a book called "Kick the Drink" a few days ago by a dude named Jason Vale.  ******* hit me like a hammer. Read it in one sitting (330 pages). He has controversial things to say, but it opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. Sat and talked to my wife for about 3 hours the next night. Something clicked. Had nothing to do with the faulty label of "alcoholic", and had nothing to do with the "why you shouldn't drink", because we all know the whys. Hard to explain, but it just made me see my socially acceptable drug addiction (thats what it is, really) in a new way, and made me understand what I had chosen to do over the past 3 decades and why I chose to use drink as a crutch or an excuse. As I said to my wife, I'm not going to sit here and tell you "I'll never drink again!", but I also understand that if I didn't, I wouldn't be missing anything anyway. And no, AA, I'm NOT "broken", or a "lifelong alcoholic", and I'm not going to have to "recover for the rest of my life", I understand my decisions, why I've made them, how my own fear of change was holding me back, and why I'm not letting that $hit f*ck up another day of my life. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I read a book called "Kick the Drink" a few days ago by a dude named Jason Vale.  ******* hit me like a hammer. Read it in one sitting (330 pages). He has controversial things to say, but it opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. Sat and talked to my wife for about 3 hours the next night. Something clicked. Had nothing to do with the faulty label of "alcoholic", and had nothing to do with the "why you shouldn't drink", because we all know the whys. Hard to explain, but it just made me see my drug addiction (thats what it is, really) in a new way, and made me understand what I had chosen to do over the past 3 decades and why I chose to use drink as a crutch or an excuse. As I said to my wife, I'm not going to sit here and tell you "I'll never drink again!", but I also understand that if I didn't, I wouldn't be missing anything anyway. And no, AA, I'm NOT "broken", or a "lifelong alcoholic", and I'm not going to have to "recover for the rest of my life", I understand my decisions, why I've made them, how my own fear of change was holding me back, and why I'm not letting that $hit f*ck up another day of my life. 

That's Great.  Didn't want to say anything along those lines to you, everyone has to make up their own mind. You just have to come to your own "moment". I have hated that "alcoholic" bullsh*t label for years, it still bugs me.  What difference does it make?  Same with AA or NA.  They serve their purpose, but it's for certain people, just not for me.  I went to NA years ago with a recovering ex girlfriend and while I could relate to the stories, It did not do much for me.  Eight years ago my family and my girlfriend, now wife, had an interventionist over to my brother's house for me.  I was told in advance and didn't fight it, because I'd already had made up my mind to stop. So the interventionist tells his story, does a family history chart tracking the addition pattern through the generations.  He then proceeds to explain to me how he can't be around alcohol or even eat in a place where it's served when alone because he does not "trust" himself.  What a weak tit. Then my family, Mother, Brother, Sister, Wife, all had their messages. The things that my family told me were the things that left the biggest impact.  I never realized what a tremendous impact my actions had on their lives.  Although I was more than ready to stop at the time, that's what really did it for me.  You see, it was OK for me to **** up my life, but when I realized that I was ******* up their lives,  that was something I could not do.  What a waste of 10K, I've always thought to myself, but never mention to my mom because I don't want her to be upset.  You see, it wasn't necessary because I KNEW that I was ready. If that's where you are it'll be a breeze.  If not your time will come. I can tell by the way you've seemed to wrestle with it since starting this thread, you're close if you're not there already.  You're no more broken than anyone else in this world.  Forget that sh*t.  We all have our successes, professional and personal, and our burdens.  I know you're mad at yourself.  Don't be. Just be glad you have a wife and family who love you.  That is all you need.  Last thing.  I NEVER say that I'll never drink again, although I probably won't.  Does it matter? Labels, milestones, and trophies don't mean sh*t.  What's important is that you are a decent person, husband, father, brother, son, friend or whatever.  Did I mention Jet Fan?  I wish you happiness for YOURSELF.  If you don't have that you are no good for anyone else.

  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

That's Great.  Didn't want to say anything along those lines to you, everyone has to make up their own mind. You just have to come to your own "moment". I have hated that "alcoholic" bullsh*t label for years, it still bugs me.  What difference does it make?  Same with AA or NA.  They serve their purpose, but it's for certain people, just not for me.  I went to NA years ago with a recovering ex girlfriend and while I could relate to the stories, It did not do much for me.  Eight years ago my family and my girlfriend, now wife, had an interventionist over to my brother's house for me.  I was told in advance and didn't fight it, because I'd already had made up my mind to stop. So the interventionist tells his story, does a family history chart tracking the addition pattern through the generations.  He then proceeds to explain to me how he can't be around alcohol or even eat in a place where it's served when alone because he does not "trust" himself.  What a weak tit. Then my family, Mother, Brother, Sister, Wife, all had their messages. The things that my family told me were the things that left the biggest impact.  I never realized what a tremendous impact my actions had on their lives.  Although I was more than ready to stop at the time, that's what really did it for me.  You see, it was OK for me to **** up my life, but when I realized that I was ******* up their lives,  that was something I could not do.  What a waste of 10K, I've always thought to myself, but never mention to my mom because I don't want her to be upset.  You see, it wasn't necessary because I KNEW that I was ready. If that's where you are it'll be a breeze.  If not your time will come. I can tell by the way you've seemed to wrestle with it since starting this thread, you're close if you're not there already.  You're no more broken than anyone else in this world.  Forget that sh*t.  We all have our successes, professional and personal, and our burdens.  I know you're mad at yourself.  Don't be. Just be glad you have a wife and family who love you.  That is all you need.  Last thing.  I NEVER say that I'll never drink again, although I probably won't.  Does it matter? Labels, milestones, and trophies don't mean sh*t.  What's important is that you are a decent person, husband, father, brother, son, friend or whatever.  Did I mention Jet Fan?  I wish you happiness for YOURSELF.  If you don't have that you are no good for anyone else.

Nailed exactly where I am right now. Its like a weight is off my shoulders. It hit me, talking about the whole "counting days" and "going on the wagon" stuff. Why would people torture themselves like that? And how do you "avoid triggers"? Never go outside again? Never eat at a restaurant? Disown my family and move to Medina? No. Thats the stuff that scared me about "quitting". But now I know the real whys, and the how is the easy part. I don't need it, anyway.... I know that, now. I have nothing to hide anymore, and no reason to take shelter behind the big, loud, sweaty oaf that the sh*t turns me into. LOL.

 

Thanks, man. You're a good dude. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nailed exactly where I am right now. Its like a weight is off my shoulders. It hit me, talking about the whole "counting days" and "going on the wagon" stuff. Why would people torture themselves like that? And how do you "avoid triggers"? Never go outside again? Never eat at a restaurant? Disown my family and move to Medina? No. Thats the stuff that scared me about "quitting". But now I know the real whys, and the how is the easy part. I don't need it, anyway.... I know that, now. I have nothing to hide anymore, and no reason to take shelter behind the big, loud, sweaty oaf that the sh*t turns me into. LOL.

 

Thanks, man. You're a good dude. 

You too.  Keep on swinging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never started at all. As I had an uncle who drank. And saw people who were messed up in drinking. Did take one sip of beer. Spit it out and never went back!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

I never started at all. As I had an uncle who drank. And saw people who were messed up in drinking. Did take one sip of beer. Spit it out and never went back!

You are a very lucky person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 8:44 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Anyone ever feel compelled to quit drinking? Not the casual, "Nah, don't feel like a beer today" quit, but the "I need to evalute what drinking is doing in my life" quitting. I know, kind of a deep topic, but I was at my uncles funeral over the weekend with family, and I still feel like crap from boozing with cousins. I think for me it might be time to give it up...I'm in my 40s, married with 2 kids and I still drink like a soldier on leave once I start.  Just wondering on the anonymity of the internet if anyone else here (aside from Joe Namath lol) ever decided to give it up and if it took. 

Yeah..the last 2 years I was in the Navy, my life was swirling the bowl; I had split from the ex and just had a bunch of sh*t all coming at me at once. I almost got popped on a piss test; my buddy who I used to get high with daily got  popped positive n a test he took the day he went on terminal leavegetting out of the Navy and they sent NCIS to his house in TX and brought him back to Norfolk in shackles for  his page 13 hearing. I had less than 9 months left and I stopped smoking weed but alcohol filled in the gap. I was more of a functioning alcoholic; my work performance didn’t fall off but I would stop at the package store on the base and get a 12 of Heineken and a fifth of Southern comfort 4 out of every 5 days...the 5th day I had duty and couldn’t leave the ship. For about 15 months that was my life...then I met my current wife and when we got serious about our relationship, she said I could have booze or her but not both and it wasn’t negotiable.

That was in 1987. I stopped drinking then and haven’t taken it up again.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Awesumtenor said:

Yeah..the last 2 years I was in the Navy, my life was swirling the bowl; I had split from the ex and just had a bunch of sh*t all coming at me at once. I almost got popped on a piss test; my buddy who I used to get high with daily got  popped positive n a test he took the day he went on terminal leavegetting out of the Navy and they sent NCIS to his house in TX and brought him back to Norfolk in shackles for  his page 13 hearing. I had less than 9 months left and I stopped smoking weed but alcohol filled in the gap. I was more of a functioning alcoholic; my work performance didn’t fall off but I would stop at the package store on the base and get a 12 of Heineken and a fifth of Southern comfort 4 out of every 5 days...the 5th day I had duty and couldn’t leave the ship. For about 15 months that was my life...then I met my current wife and when we got serious about our relationship, she said I could have booze or her but not both and it wasn’t negotiable.

That was in 1987. I stopped drinking then and haven’t taken it up again.

Funny how strong we get when faced with losing the really important things we have and want to keep.  Love, lifestyle and family.  Things that are more important than the  value you place on yourself.  My story is on here if you're curious.  Similar choice.  Longer  path.  Same result.  Great result for you and your family.  I will have eight years this July. Seems like yesterday, really. Still committed and strong.  No longer a problem.  Don't really think about it.  Such a waste of time.  Good Luck.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...