Jets Offensive Line

Vince

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

nothing great but they should be better because they replaced johnson, winters should be free of injury and they'll have played together for much of last season.  carpenter could be pushed for his spot.

Objectively, the defense could be very good.  It all depends upon the job that Kacey and Bowles do.

I think the WRs, TEs and RBs will do the job against weaker teams.  I think the QBs will complete passes.  

Against the better teams where the Jets need to pass block and run, the OL will fail them.  8-8.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Basically in a hold the fort year with an eye for a major overhaul next year 

Hopefully with Sam on board free agents will want to come here 

When Sam gets to play he'll make them look better than they are. He moves well & will give himself the 1 or 2 seconds he needs to find a WR & he has the arm to get it there.

Not sure how much longer the Jets can leave the OLine as an afterthought in the Draft and not use an early pick on the key positions.  In my mind, we need a young, talented franchise LT.  We could also potentially use an upgrade a LG if Carpenter continues to be miscast in this zone-blocking scheme.  We can only go so long using 4th or 5th round picks that we hope develop into capable starters.

But here’s a novel idea.  Instead of just trying to field a “capable” OLine, an OLine that is decent, why not invest to make the Offensive Line a STRENGTH of the team?  With all the time, energy, draft picks and money that have been and are going to be sunk into Sam Darnold, why not invest to protect him?  Why not put together an OLine that can impose some will on an opponent, a line that can get you 2 yards no matter what even when the defense knows you’re about to run.

It’s wishful thinking but I really think we need a Brick/Mangold type Draft emphasis again sooner rather than later.

If I’m the Jets then I’m sitting in Round 1 next year and really only looking at two positions from which to take the BPA - Left Tackle and Edge Rusher. 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Discussion on the Jets offensive line. Comments, concerns...admonishments? 

Mac totally ignored it in the draft. Signed a couple of free agents, one of them rated almost as low as Johnson, the other coming off serious injury.  Beachum should be healthier and better, so there is that.  I put the over/under at 4 weeks before whichever QB starts gets hurt. Good times ahead.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

nothing great but they should be better because they replaced johnson, winters should be free of injury and they'll have played together for much of last season.  carpenter could be pushed for his spot.

Serious question: By who?  

I think the only real competition would be if they try Swanson at C and Long at LG.  I don't really see it. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Not sure how much longer the Jets can leave the OLine as an afterthought in the Draft and not use an early pick on the key positions.  In my mind, we need a young, talented franchise LT.  We could also potentially use an upgrade a LG if Carpenter continues to be miscast in this zone-blocking scheme.  We can only go so long using 4th or 5th round picks that we hope develop into capable starters.

But here’s a novel idea.  Instead of just trying to field a “capable” OLine, an OLine that is decent, why not invest to make the Offensive Line a STRENGTH of the team?  With all the time, energy, draft picks and money that have been and are going to be sunk into Sam Darnold, why not invest to protect him?  Why not put together an OLine that can impose some will on an opponent, a line that can get you 2 yards no matter what even when the defense knows you’re about to run.

It’s wishful thinking but I really think we need a Brick/Mangold type Draft emphasis again sooner rather than later.

If I’m the Jets then I’m sitting in Round 1 next year and really only looking at two positions from which to take the BPA - Left Tackle and Edge Rusher. 

I believe the bolded is the next phase- offensive line and edge

The reason why this line could be very good is that they are changing to a different blocking scheme. Noone knows yet whether they will be meh or very good. It's all up to how well they pick up the scheme and how suited they are. You can't judge this line by how they played in a very different style of blocking.

Continuity and development are the most important attributes of a good O-Line. The best O-lines are the ones that stay together for years. Johnson needed upgrading badly so having Long and Swanson there should be a big boost. Shell needs to improve dramatically and Winters has to play better than he has even when healthy to consider the O-Line good.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Serious question: By who?  

I think the only real competition would be if they try Swanson at C and Long at LG.  I don't really see it. 

from what i've read carpenter has trouble in zone blocking schemes.  that plus he's got a pretty hefty salary means he's ripe to be pushed.

The Jets offensive line was one of the worst in the NFL in 2017, and they were completely manhandled in multiple games.  Solution: a marginal upgrade at center.

It's going to be a bad offensive line again.  Zone blocking isn't going to magically transform them into a decent unit.

At some point, you have to prioritize the offensive line.  There is a certain franchise quarterback who needs protecting.  Let's not give him the Andrew Luck treatment.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets offensive line was one of the worst in the NFL in 2017, and they were completely manhandled in multiple games.  Solution: a marginal upgrade at center.

It's going to be a bad offensive line again.  Zone blocking isn't going to magically transform them into a decent unit.

At some point, you have to prioritize the offensive line.  There is a certain franchise quarterback who needs protecting.  Let's not give him the Andrew Luck treatment.

It was also one of the most healthy Olines in NFL. Other than winters being a little banged up, we were incredibly lucky with lack of injuries compared to all the other teams. Which is scary, if we aren’t so lucky with Oline injuries next yr. The lack of Oline attention is what I believe will eventually get Mac and Bowles fired. 

11 hours ago, jbt said:

hopefully with Winters healthy and a new center they will be better than last year.  Should be top need in next years draft

11 hours ago, jbt said:

hopefully with Winters healthy and a new center they will be better than last year.  Should be top need in next years draft

I’ll take edge rusher for a 1000 Alex

6 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

yes but here's the thing.  just about every season has at least one team where they are forced to use scrubs and it works out okay.  the patsie oline isn't exactly great(talent wise) yet they manage to keep tommy boy upright and mostly clean. a few seasons back the steeler line was just about all rookies.  same thing on san diego.  it all comes down to coaching and having a qb who can get rid of the ball , quickly.  i don't know if you watched that video on the rpo but it looked like many times the pass rusher was right in wentz's face yet he managed to throw the ball for a completion. dennison and bates are going to have their work cut out.

Jets will have 90 million dollars. Go hard after Taylor Lewan & Ali Marpet. Then draft the best Guard available in the 3rd round.

Lewan- stud Rookie guard- Marpet- Winters- Shell

Marpet would be an awesome target in a zone blocking scheme. 

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets will have 90 million dollars. Go hard after Taylor Lewan & Ali Marpet. Then draft the best Guard available in the 3rd round.

Lewan- stud Rookie guard- Marpet- Winters- Shell

Marpet would be an awesome target in a zone blocking scheme. 

There is no such thing as simply outbidding teams anymore, almost everyone has cap space now that there is a rookie cap.  Tennessee is not going to let lewan go, hes too young and good.

Marpet is a different story and definitely someone to potentially target as the Bucs invested heavily in Ryan Jensen and dont have much space.

There are 2 other things to consider when looking at drafting Oline.

1.  Its real hard to develop guys given the college offenses and lack of practice time once they get to the league.  Oline is arguably the best position to spend on in FA because you get a known commodity.  Personally I would have liked Jensen over Long, but Long is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over johnson who was quite possible the worst center in the league last year.

2.  With a true zone scheme, which Dennison is bringing here, you should not need elite olineman to succeed.  A player like Andy Levitre is a key example. He was excellent in a zone scheme and was signed to a big contract by Tennessee where he "failed".  He was then picked up by atlanta, placed back in a zone scheme that suited his skills and went back to being a good starter.  We should be able to use our 2019 first rounder on an edge rusher and hopefully sign one big FA lineman and continue to develop guys that fit the scheme.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

There is no such thing as simply outbidding teams anymore, almost everyone has cap space now that there is a rookie cap.  Tennessee is not going to let lewan go, hes too young and good.

Marpet is a different story and definitely someone to potentially target as the Bucs invested heavily in Ryan Jensen and dont have much space.

There are 2 other things to consider when looking at drafting Oline.

1.  Its real hard to develop guys given the college offenses and lack of practice time once they get to the league.  Oline is arguably the best position to spend on in FA because you get a known commodity.  Personally I would have liked Jensen over Long, but Long is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over johnson who was quite possible the worst center in the league last year.

2.  With a true zone scheme, which Dennison is bringing here, you should not need elite olineman to succeed.  A player like Andy Levitre is a key example. He was excellent in a zone scheme and was signed to a big contract by Tennessee where he "failed".  He was then picked up by atlanta, placed back in a zone scheme that suited his skills and went back to being a good starter.  We should be able to use our 2019 first rounder on an edge rusher and hopefully sign one big FA lineman and continue to develop guys that fit the scheme.

Andy Levitre is a free agent in 2019 too. 

Not even sure there are building blocks, maybe Shell stays? everyone else could be gone next year, great opportunity for Garcia and CFL guys to make a statement 

LT - Beachum, Kelvin, Ijalana, Ben, Garcia, Antonio, James, Darius CF18        
LG  - Carpenter, James, Dozier, Dakota, Braden, Ben CF17                
C - Long, Spencer, Swanson, Travis, Golson, Austin CF18                
RG - Winters, Brian, Harrison, Jonotthan SF17                        
RT - Shell, Brandon, Qvale, Brent, Shepley, Dakoda CF18    

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

When Sam gets to play he'll make them look better than they are. He moves well & will give himself the 1 or 2 seconds he needs to find a WR & he has the arm to get it there.

Or he will get the sh*t kicked out of him and be ruined for life.

20 hours ago, varjet said:

Objectively, the defense could be very good.  It all depends upon the job that Kacey and Bowles do.

I think the WRs, TEs and RBs will do the job against weaker teams.  I think the QBs will complete passes.  

Against the better teams where the Jets need to pass block and run, the OL will fail them.  8-8.

That's what scares me. Bowles keeps talking about busted coverages and Kacey keeps calling dumb ass schemes in the wrong situations. When will Christopher J learn that the problem is the two of them?

Archived