Official WORLD CUP 2018

GATA

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think Germany is as sure a thing as everyone thinks. They are incredible and still the best, but it sure does seem like some of the other squads have caught up since the last World Cup.

Argentina

39 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think Germany is as sure a thing as everyone thinks. They are incredible and still the best, but it sure does seem like some of the other squads have caught up since the last World Cup.

I just have a bad feeling about Germany in this WC. 

It might just be the Jet fan in me, though.   Whenever everyone picks my team, they shit the bed. 

5 hours ago, Thor99 said:

I just have a bad feeling about Germany in this WC. 

It might just be the Jet fan in me, though.   Whenever everyone picks my team, they sh*t the bed. 

Neymar is coming into his prime too and he's well rested. I really think he's gonna take center stage this World Cup. Seems like this is a proper Brazil team.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Neymar is coming into his prime too and he's well rested. I really think he's gonna take center stage this World Cup. Seems like this is a proper Brazil team.

They left David Luiz home, so we can’t count on him flying out of position this time. I think you’re right. Brazil is the team to beat. 

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's my team! 

Did everyone look at the schedule?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yesssssss.  I'll be spending a lot of money going to World Cup matches 8 years from now. 

I know!!! I hope the US makes it to the cup that would be great for the MLS.

30 minutes ago, GATA said:

I know!!! I hope the US makes it to the cup that would be great for the MLS.

US would get an automatic bid because they're a host.  Mexico and Canada will get automatic slots too.  First WC appearance for Canada since 1986 (assuming they don't get in at Qatar in 2022, which is a safe bet that they won't). 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

US would get an automatic bid because they're a host.  Mexico and Canada will get automatic slots too.  First WC appearance for Canada since 1986 (assuming they don't get in at Qatar in 2022, which is a safe bet that they won't). 

Wow all these years I never knew that the host country goes automatically in. (You learn something new everyday) 

It's a shame the US isn't in this year.

I wish the next cup wouldn't be done in Qatar, they'll have to build stadiums and then have them abandoned for yrs. 

3 minutes ago, GATA said:

Wow all these years I never knew that the host country goes automatically in. (You learn something new everyday) 

It's a shame the US isn't in this year.

I wish the next cup wouldn't be done in Qatar, they'll have to build stadiums and then have them abandoned for yrs. 

It's actually way worse than just a waste of time and money.  And no one seems to care:

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/death-toll-rises-in-the-lead-up-to-the-2022-world-cup/news-story/43896b31023dd6ab6ed213637fe4d3e7

Death toll rises in the lead up to the 2022 World Cup

QATAR is in the global spotlight over the high number of worker deaths surrounding construction for the FIFA World Cup 2022.

THE high number of deaths that have resulted from the ongoing construction of stadiums for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, has put the Gulf state under harsh global scrutiny.

The Human Rights Watch (HRW) is calling for new laws to protect construction staff from working in life-threatening conditions, with over 800,000 migrant workers potentially being subjected to working outside in scorching heat.

The current regulations prohibit outdoor work from 11.30am to 3pm between June 15 and August 31 but the HRW says that due to the region’s climate, these procedures aren’t sufficient.

“Enforcing appropriate restrictions on outdoor work and regularly investigating and publicising information about worker deaths is essential to protect the health and lives of construction workers in Qatar,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Human Rights Watch’s Middle East director.

“Limiting work hours to safe temperatures — not set by a clock or calendar — is well within the capacity of the Qatari government and will help protect hundreds of thousands of workers.”

In contrast to Qatar’s poor working laws, last year the Supreme Committee World Cup organisers introduced mandated work-to-rest ratios for 12,000 of the workers building the World Cup stadiums, receiving praise from the HRW.

“If Qatar’s World Cup organisers can mandate a climate-based work ban, then the Qatar government can follow its lead as a step towards providing better protection from heat for all workers,” Whitson said.

In response to the human rights concerns the Assistant Secretary General for Tournament Affairs, Nasser Al Khater, told news.com.au that the committee hopes to use the tournament as a platform for improving conditions for migrant workers.

“We are fully committed to ensuring the health, safety and dignity of every worker who comes to Qatar to help us deliver the tournament. We have never shrunk from constructive criticism,” he said.

“We have always wanted to use the tournament as a catalyst to drive positive change for working conditions throughout the Gulf.”

Mr Khater added that they have already seen a lot of positive change since they won hosting rights in 2010.

According to a report published by the International Trades Union Confederation (ITUC) approximately 1200 workers have already died since the World Cup was awarded to Qatar in 2010.

To put that number in perspective the ITUC also revealed the amount of workers killed in the lead up to other major sporting events around the world.

The next highest number of deaths were from the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics with 60 people killed and the 2004 Athens Olympics with 40 killed.

Ten workers died before the 2010 Beijing Olympics and seven were killed while working in construction for the 2014 Brazil World Cup.

There were zero construction fatalities for the 2012 London Olympics and one death for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

The ITUC predicts that there will be at least 4000 worker fatalities by the time the 2022 FIFA World Cup begins.

7 minutes ago, GATA said:

SMFH

That is worse than I imagined. It's so disgusting that FIFA can't take this into consideration and move the WC.

They don't care.  They're one of the most corrupt and morally vacant organizations on the planet, and they don't even pretend to hide it.  When the WC was in Brazil, they cleared out the favelas so the tourists wouldn't have to see them:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/05/world-cup-favelas-socially-cleansed-olympics

World Cup: Rio favelas being 'socially cleansed' in runup to sporting events

Slum dwellers say thousands forced out of their homes to make way for building projects for tournament and 2016 Olympics

The World Cup and the Olympics are being used as a pretext for "social cleansing" as tens of thousands of Rio slum dwellers are driven out to the city periphery, favela residents say.

While millions of eyes turn to north-eastern Brazil for the World Cup draw on Friday, poor communities in Rio de Janeiro are still struggling to be heard as they fight against evictions they say are related to the city's mega sporting events.

Next year, Rio will host seven games, including the final, followed in 2016 by the Olympics. The city's mayor, Eduardo Paes, describes this as an opportunity for the city to modernise and create a legacy for future generations. But many of those on the frontline of change feel they are the victims of social cleansing.

At least 19,000 families have been moved to make way for roads, renovated stadiums, an athletes' village, an ambitious redevelopment of the port area and other projects that have been launched or accelerated to prepare the city for the world's two biggest sporting events.

"The authorities wouldn't even enter our community in the past and there was no mention of moving us, but then Brazil won the right to host the World Cup and everything changed," Maria do Socorro told a hearing in the city council building this week. Socorro's home of 40 years in the Indiana favela has been marked for demolition.

Countless communities are affected. Among the best known are Vila Autódromo, which will be the site of the main Olympic stadium and athletes' village; Providência, which is close to the port redevelopment and Indiana, which is about 10 minutes' drive from the newly refurbished Maracanã stadium.

As was the case in Beijing, London and South Africa before their mega events, the government says such programmes are necessary to modernise the city. Numerous relocations have been carried out in the past as Rio has evolved, but politicians and campaigners say the forthcoming sporting events are driving the process forward at an unprecedented rate, and often in violation of the law. "The government is obliged to publicise preliminary studies, listen to the views of affected communities and offer alternative housing close to their old homes, but the Rio municipality has not complied with any of these laws," said Renato Cinco, a council member for the leftwing PSOL party.

"People are being moved more than 40km [25 miles] from their homes with very little prior notice and no compensation."

Civil society groups say the relocations are motivated by surging land values. As new infrastructure is put in place for the World Cup and Olympics, property prices rise in the surrounding areas.

"There is a process of gentrification taking place in the whole city that is connected to the sports events and how the government sees the city: it is no longer a place for residents, but as a business to sell to foreign investors. That's what the World Cup is about," said Renata Neder of Amnesty.

"There have been waves of evictions in the past, but this latest one that began after Rio was chosen to host the mega events may be the biggest one yet in terms of numbers."

The authorities insist that due process has been followed and no residents have been forcibly relocated. The Rio 2016 chief operating officer, Leo Gryner, said the high-profile case of Vila Autódromo showed how far the government was willing to go to accommodate residents.

"In Vila Autódromo the mayor said he would move people to a new place and build nice housing projects for people to move to a new area. People started protesting, saying you couldn't evict people because of the Olympics. So after some time, the city admitted they should not have forced them to go. They talked to each one of the people living in that area, roughly half said they wanted to move and the other half wanted to stay," he said.

"Then when they started to see the project going up they realised it was very nice and so they came here to demonstrate and demand to be moved to the new housing! The city talked to everyone." This is refuted by residents.

That is disputed by residents. And in less prominent cases, residents complain of being harassed by officials and engineers who tell them their homes are not safe. In some cases, this is true. Thousands have died over the years in the floods and landslides that affect many river and hillside favelas during the annual rainy season.

But a visit to the Indiana favela, which sits next to the river Maracanã, suggested the genuine threat to a handful of homes may be being used to justify the clearance of swaths of the community.

Several houses, including two wooden shacks, sat below the flood line and looked too poorly built to withstand a deluge. But the majority of homes marked for demolition – including several that had already been destroyed – were on seemingly firm concrete foundations several metres above the flood line.

"It is true that there are risks from the river, but only in certain places. The problem is that the government is arbitrarily trying to move everyone, even those who are not at risk," said Ines Ferreira de Abril, a local health worker.

"Many people have already moved out under the relentless pressure from the government. They are going house by house and ultimately, they want to get rid of all of us because this land is very valuable now. They want us out of the way before the big events."

It kind of makes you hate the World Cup in a way, doesn't it?  All this hardship over a pure, blatant money grab.  Sometimes you have to wonder if its worth it.  "The Beautiful Game" has a very dirty side to it. 

At least we know the US will throw a sweet party in 2026 though!

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It kind of makes you hate the World Cup in a way, doesn't it?  All this hardship over a pure, blatant money grab.  Sometimes you have to wonder if its worth it.  "The Beautiful Game" has a very dirty side to it. 

At least we know the US will throw a sweet party in 2026 though!

I thought the FBI's indictments took care of all of the corrupt superiors. For FS, how terrible.

I  always look fwd to the cup because of the sport more so than the organization overseeing the whole shebang. Just very sad to hear nothing has really changed. 

4 minutes ago, GATA said:

I thought the FBI's indictments took care of all of the corrupt superiors. For FS, how terrible.

I  always look fwd to the cup because of the sport more so than the organization overseeing the whole shebang. Just very sad to hear nothing has really changed. 

They got rid of Sepp Blatter, which was big, and also helped ensure that the bidding process might be a little less corrupt going forward.  That helps.  But it did nothing to prevent the 2022 WC from happening as scheduled in Qatar. 

So I heard on the radio this morning, only 8 countries have won the World Cup?  And only on 2 continents have won it.  Europe and South America.

That doesnt seem very worldly.  Seems more like Europe vs. South America.

I found that interesting. 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

So I heard on the radio this morning, only 8 countries have won the World Cup?  And only on 2 continents have won it.  Europe and South America.

Kind of like how the winners of the super bowl and nba declare themselves world champions.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Kind of like how the winners of the super bowl and nba declare themselves world champions.

200_d.gif

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

FTR those are also the two continents that have the most players constantly playing at home or overseas and mastering the sport. If more players/countries would rise to that caliber I could definitely see other parts of the world taking it. 

I'll be posting Live Links to watch the games in thread. If you need more streaming links let me know not sure what websites will be blocked in your individual work computers.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, not really.  That's the premier league in the world, so assuming they'd be World Champions is kind of a given but the NBA Finals and the Super Bowl arent the "World" Series. 

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

No, not really.  That's the premier league in the world, so assuming they'd be World Champions is kind of a given but the NBA Finals and the Super Bowl arent the "World" Series. 

Listen to the players when they have the trophy or after or  the sports talking heads they are always declaring themselves as world champions even though they do not play a true world tournament.

The soccer world cup is a true world championship.  You have to be playing really good just to qualify.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Listen to the players when they have the trophy or after or  the sports talking heads they are always declaring themselves as world champions even though they do not play a true world tournament.

The soccer world cup is a true world championship.  You have to be playing really good just to qualify.

Serious question because I honestly dont follow or care about Soccer, arent the club teams much better than the country teams? 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Serious question because I honestly dont follow or care about Soccer, arent the club teams much better than the country teams? 

I know you didn't quote me ... Yes, club teams are usually better because they recruit the best from all over the world to play in fixed teams. 

The world cup is a different animal this is the big stage where the underdog/no name player will become recognized. You get some of the best / craziest plays ever. You have national pride at hand ; and a lot of pressure. 

Archived