KNOCK OUT STAGES 

Give me your Qt Finalists

image.png

I'll go...

Portugal                Putin

Argentina              Croatia

Brazil                    Sweden

Belgium                England

...just to be different and because this would propel me in my World Cup fantasy league. :P

Also, it's tougher out West you fockers!  I'm up for 7AM games in a bar with a bunch of knuckleheads cheering for some countries I can't even find on a map.  My wife just looks at me and shakes her head, "You'll be back in like 5 hours right?.....And this is only once every 4 years, correct?"

I just smile and say, "Yes dear."

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Also, it's tougher out West you fockers!  I'm up for 7AM games in a bar with a bunch of knuckleheads cheering for some countries I can't even find on a map.  My wife just looks at me and shakes her head, "You'll be back in like 5 hours right?.....And this is only once every 4 years, correct?"

I just smile and say, "Yes dear."

I recall the 2002 World Cup in Japan/S.Korea. I was finishing my masters over that summer in Boston and had classes Mon-Fri 8am-4pm. The WC games were on at like 4am and 6am, so it was GRUELING to say the least. Back then I could live on 3 hours of sleep and caffeine. 

Arg crapped out in the 1st round that tournament. The degree was worth it, staying up for THOSE games . . . not so much. :(

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

I recall the 2002 World Cup in Japan/S.Korea. I was finishing my masters over that summer in Boston and had classes Mon-Fri 8am-4pm. The WC games were on at like 4am and 6am, so it was GRUELING to say the least. Back then I could live on 3 hours of sleep and caffeine. 

Arg crapped out in the 1st round that tournament. The degree was worth it, staying up for THOSE games . . . not so much. :(

Yeah, this is tough.  Combined with no USA in the tournament its a challenge for casual fans to be at least moderately interested in the WC.  Sadly, same thing in 4 years.  I think Qatar and several Russian cities are essentially in the same time zone.

5 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Non American tougher than football now.... And soccer players always covering vagina.

Non American  has always been tougher and Goodel’s policies are just increasing that. 

Also what ? 

20 hours ago, GATA-Bot said:

OK my beautiful World Cup Aficionados 

KNOCK OUT STAGES 

Give me your Qt Finalists

image.png

Uruguay 

France (Though I’d really love to see Arg get it so they can play the rivalry match against Uru)

Brazil

Belgium

Spain

Denmark

Sweden

England (Though my gut is saying Colombia will push fwd) 

1 hour ago, GATA-Bot said:

Uruguay 

France (Though I’d really love to see Arg get it so they can play the rivalry match against Uru)

Brazil

Belgium

Spain

Denmark

Sweden

England (Though my gut is saying Colombia will push fwd) 

Rooting for Uruguay 

First half of the game how exciting! 

ARG 1 - FRA 1

France looks so f*cking sharp but you can’t contol talent. Di Maria so far gets the trophy for the sexiest goal of the cup. In Spanish we call it “GOLAZO”. What an amazing score to tie the game. 

Man a fight till the end.

France knocks out Argentina 4-3

but hell of a fight from the Argentinians till the last sec. 

As I mentioned before the French club looked very sharp. Argentina was one more yellow card away from being down one man. 

A very entertaining and heart wrenching match till the end. I’m sure @Gas2No99 felt the anguish. My mom was jumping on the couch when they scored the 3rd goal in extra time. 

See you guys at 2pm. 

Ugh.

Argentina got lazy when up 2-1, giving up 3 straight goals before finding a sense of urgency and creating chances at the end.  The best defense is a good offense, right?  Argentina doesn't seem to think so with a 2-1 lead.

Oh well, we all knew Argentina was basically Messi + 10 random dudes.  They were overrated because of their history, because of having Messi, and because they went to the final in 2014.  But honestly they were a team that was borderline Top 32 and almost didn't even qualify like the US.

I'm definitely in the camp of wanting a complete outsider to win this whole thing.  No Germany, no Argentina....wouldn't mind watching Brazil, Spain and France get bounced and having a surprise team take the Cup.  Not that they're a surprise but Belgium looks to have a really good shot at this thing.  Croatia has played well every game since the start as has Uruguay.  Those might be the 3 faves right now....Belgium, Uruguay and Croatia with Colombia, England and El Tri in the hunt. JMHO.

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ugh.

Argentina got lazy when up 2-1, giving up 3 straight goals before finding a sense of urgency and creating chances at the end.  The best defense is a good offense, right?  Argentina doesn't seem to think so with a 2-1 lead.

Oh well, we all knew Argentina was basically Messi + 10 random dudes.  They were overrated because of their history, because of having Messi, and because they went to the final in 2014.  But honestly they were a team that was borderline Top 32 and almost didn't even qualify like the US.

I'm definitely in the camp of wanting a complete outsider to win this whole thing.  No Germany, no Argentina....wouldn't mind watching Brazil, Spain and France get bounced and having a surprise team take the Cup.  Not that they're a surprise but Belgium looks to have a really good shot at this thing.  Croatia has played well every game since the start as has Uruguay.  Those might be the 3 faves right now....Belgium, Uruguay and Croatia with Colombia, England and El Tri in the hunt. JMHO.

Honestly speaking, I think Belgium takes it all, but I would love Brasil to win the cup. Can’t be completely objective there lol

1 minute ago, GATA-Bot said:

Honestly speaking I think Belgium takes it all, but I would love Brasil to win it all. Can’t be completely objective there lol

I'm not rooting against Brazil, I'm just looking for a new face winning rather than the traditional futbol powerhouses.  Belgium put themselves in the tougher bracket with that win over England but I still think they make a deep run.  England could have a letdown thinking that they have it easy in what is considering the lesser side of the bracket.

(Going to grab my yellow and red cards and head to Pedal Haus in Tempe, AZ to root for Portugal with the boys!)

De Gea sucks ... Russia moves fwd due to penalties. They won’t make it out of the next stage though; not with that performance. 

Russia 1-1 Spain (beating Spain 4-3 in Penalties) 

I'm still down for being kicked out the party (eliminated), hungover, sun-burnt to a crisp, and hoarse from that Arg France game. I knew this team wouldn't go far, but DAMN IT!!! We CAME BACK to LEAD 2-1 :yahoo:and then CHOKED & LOST it 4-3!!!:(

This team got as far as I thought they would and deserved. They TANTALIZED ME into BELIEVING we could make ONE LAST RUN w/this Golden Generation of players. Alas.

Hopefully this starts a PURGE in the AFA and we begin fixing the foundation to be SERIOUS contenders with a coach who can set his system for 3+ years (too much DT turnover after every tournament) and an emerging Dybala starting to hit his prime. 

Portugal was a 1 man show and CR7 can only do so much. Shame, but like Messi, his legacy doesn't require a WC trophy. 

Spain got a VALUABLE lesson vs. Russia and got as far as were predicted. Great young talent that made their bones in this tournament and will be a FORCE in 2022.

Russia is 2002 South Korea.

France has improved and Mbappe (DAMN HIM!!!! :angry:) is starting to peak. France is a wildcard who can win it all or just seem flat. I Hate them now.:D

Uruguay - LA provincia de Argentina! iVecinos! The team I'm rooting for to win it all.

Croatia Denmark has been meh.

I think Belgium takes the cake if I had to put $$ on it. 

UGH!!! SUCKS to be out of the party. So long mid week rooftop BBQs when Arg plays. 

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This sets up a Brazil vs. Belgium Quarterfinal which could be sick!

I can't wait for that game! Though, I honestly think Belgium is going to win, it should be a great match.

14 minutes ago, GATA-Bot said:

I can't wait for that game! Though, I honestly think Belgium is going to win, it should be a great match.

IMO the 4 best teams remaining will all be on the same side of the bracket which kind of sucks.  But this sets up killer Quarterfinal matches (assuming Belgium does what it should today against Japan).

Uruguay, France, Brazil, Belgium?  That's a great set.  The right side....meh....maybe England or Colombia?  I wasn't overly impressed with Croatia yesterday.

How can you look at this arrangement and NOT think Putin is pulling some strings?? lol

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.12.31 AM.png

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

IMO the 4 best teams remaining will all be on the same side of the bracket which kind of sucks.  But this sets up killer Quarterfinal matches (assuming Belgium does what it should today against Japan).

Uruguay, France, Brazil, Belgium?  That's a great set.  The right side....meh....maybe England or Colombia?  I wasn't overly impressed with Croatia yesterday.

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.12.31 AM.png

I agree  on the right either England or Colombia take it. Like 75% inclined for ENG and only 25% for COL

Archived