Official WORLD CUP 2018

GATA

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

According to my HS social studies teacher, yes.

tenor.gif?itemid=5642143

Just now, HessStation said:

...but OMG google just told me that my teacher sorta lied, pending. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think I went 6/8 in the Round of 16.

I'll go with:  France, Belgium, Croatia, England.

I’m going Uruguay bc **** the French

I’m going Brazil bc I don’t eat waffles

I’m going Croatia bc they’re all ugly little old guys

I’m going Sweden bc I’m not really into either country but Girl with the Dragon tattoo was decent enough

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think I went 6/8 in the Round of 16.

I'll go with:  France, Belgium, Croatia, England.

Curse you 80 I think exactly the same.

Even tho I want Brazil to win Im pretty sure Belgium gets the W

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh, its a disputed thing from a geography perspective.  From a FIFA perspective, Russia is in Asia. 

Personally I always rely on the Risk board as my go to resource for settling disputes such as this one.

1 minute ago, GATA-Bot said:

707A362B-06E8-472B-B163-76B5F0DDDE25.jpeg

All kidding aside it makes the games practically unwatchable.  Until they implement some kind of after-the-fact video review to penalize players who do this kind of thing then these games will stay in the toilet.

And since it seems to work... others are following suit.

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

All kidding aside it makes the games practically unwatchable.  Until they implement some kind of after-the-fact video review to penalize players who do this kind of thing then these games will stay in the toilet.

Agreed, though this has been going on since way before Neymar. He's just become a star at it. The league has rules to card and penalize players. They just don't get to review the exaggerations in real time.

I think FIFA will get there though. VAR so far has stopped some bad calls this year. If they can also use this while not running the clock on fake dives and rolls it will improve this gimmick the players have to get those free kicks. 

Besides that, the game is awesome especially when it's on a competitive level. 

Watching the BEL vs JAP or ENG vs COL you see teams put everything on the line 

3 hours ago, GATA-Bot said:

Curse you 80 I think exactly the same.

Even tho I want Brazil to win Im pretty sure Belgium gets the W

Yeah, I think Brazil is super impressive but Belgium will play inspired football after their come-from-behind win over Japan. 

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

The review has indeed been used to determine flops in this WC, but the flops aren't given yellow/red cards generally.  I agree, it needs to be incentivized with actual negative consequences.

1 hour ago, GATA-Bot said:

Besides that, the game is awesome especially when it's on a competitive level. 

Watching the BEL vs JAP or ENG vs COL you see teams put everything on the line  

The Sweden-Switzerland game was awesome too.  From what I watched, it was one of the more "honest" games played.  Guys weren't flopping, and when legitimate hard fouls occurred, players of the opposite teams were helping each other up.  Just a joy to watch matches like that. 

The Women's game has very little flopping too.  It's kind of the better game at the highest level in many ways.  They can't match the men in "flare" and pure ability, but they're very technically sound and the game has great shape.  The Women's WC is awesome. 

Not to mention the Americans actually win it a lot, so that helps, lol.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The Women's game has very little flopping too.  It's kind of the better game at the highest level in many ways.  They can't match the men in "flare" and pure ability, but they're very technically sound and the game has great shape.  The Women's WC is awesome. 

Totally agree some of those chicks are super aggressive and they play with everything they have. I wish our US Men’s league had as much passion for the sport. 

So RANDOM moment to share that just happened this July 4th:

Just ran into Spain international and Legend David Villa on 82nd & Broadway outside of Barnes & Nobles. He was walking with his son northbound, and I did an immediate double-take as he crossed my path. I was unsure at first because NO ONE else seemed to have recognized him and he was TINY. I addressed and thanked him as a fan (also NYCFC STH) for his play - both international and league play - and that they (NYCFC) better win on Saturday vs. NYRB, LOL.

Real humble quiet gentleman. He chuckled at my typical NY Sports fan demand to beat the local rival. Definitely made my day to have met a Futbol Legend of Spain's Golden Generation in person! 

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So RANDOM moment to share that just happened this July 4th:

Just ran into Spain international and Legend David Villa on 82nd & Broadway outside of Barnes & Nobles. He was walking with his son northbound, and I did an immediate double-take as he crossed my path. I was unsure at first because NO ONE else seemed to have recognized him and he was TINY. I addressed and thanked him as a fan (also NYCFC STH) for his play - both international and league play - and that they (NYCFC) better win on Saturday vs. NYRB, LOL.

Real humble quiet gentleman. He chuckled at my typical NY Sports fan demand to beat the local rival. Definitely made my day to have met a Futbol Legend of Spain's Golden Generation in person! 

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, GATA-Bot said:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I wish Villa was playing for Spain. Can't believe they lost to the Ruskies. How a guy avoids a penalty at games end after literally pulling down an opponent to the ground right in front of the goal is unbelievable. Fixed ? It makes you wonder. Croatia has NO Chance against Russia. The Ruskies will threaten to invade Croatia unless they throw the game. 

6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I wish Villa was playing for Spain. Can't believe they lost to the Ruskies. How a guy avoids a penalty at games end after literally pulling down an opponent to the ground right in front of the goal is unbelievable. Fixed ? It makes you wonder. Croatia has NO Chance against Russia. The Ruskies will threaten to invade Croatia unless they throw the game. 

We’ll see.  Croatia put the beat down on Argentina 

16 hours ago, HessStation said:

At least I didn’t have to watch that smug goon everyone likes for the US men this year. I hated that guy. 

clint-dempsey-cleve.jpg

I didn't see this.

But he was good !

22 hours ago, HessStation said:

At least I didn’t have to watch that smug goon everyone likes for the US men this year. I hated that guy. 

clint-dempsey-cleve.jpg

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

He was dopey. 

How DARE you besmirch the great Clint Dempsey!  He's an American hero damn you.

Landon Donovan you can blast away.  But leave Clint be. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How DARE you besmirch the great Clint Dempsey!  He's an American hero damn you.

Landon Donovan you can blast away.  But leave Clint be. 

All 3 of the only guys I’ve ever heard of, add the redhead who cut his hair, all seem like pretentious d-bags. 

Archived