Are the Jets on the RIGHT TRACK or the WRONG TRACK?

T0mShane

Are the Jets on the RIGHT TRACK or the WRONG TRACK)   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Jets on the RIGHT TRACK or the WRONG TRACK)

• RIGHT TRACK
    • WRONG TRACK

I’ve been struggling with this question. On the one hand, the Jets are talent-poor at almost every position group, but they don’t “feel” like a bad team because they have Darnold now.

That said, there aren’t five players on the team who you can point to and say, “that’s a great talent.” Williams is a nice dude, but he’s just “really good.” Lee is bad. Adams is a ******* clown. The best overall player on the roster right now is Robby Anderson, who might be an anti-establishment psycho. 

BUT, are the Jets hopeless? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always nice to see when another Jets fan recognizes that the best player on the Jets is Robby Anderson. 

My problem with answering your question, Shane, is that I do not believe in Todd Bowles.  I haven't seen anything from him that convinces me he is going to consistently be better than the HC on the other sideline.  At his best... he is typically a wash.  Therefore, even if the talent is pointed upward... the direction of the team is still stagnant.

Admittedly, a promising QB prospect has even a pessimist like me cautiously encouraged though.

How could anyone say wrong track? We finally have our QB & we'll have 90 million dollars next year. No matter what happens its a win-win. Lose, play like sh*t, Bowles gets fired, New Offensive Coach comes in with Darnold & 90 million and free agents that see a young franchise QB in place.

Win & everythings cool....well...hmm...losing & Bowles being fired might be right track too. Damn, I'm confused.

The 49er's were 1-10 when Jimmy G stepped in. They won 5 in a row and now people are touting them to be an up and coming team. Did the roster get better over night? I don't think so. QB makes a difference. That said the Jets need a year to get Darnold some reps and a few upgrades and then they will be good. Great may take a little longer. 

Until they stop pretending they can patch the OL with 5th, 6th rounders, UDFAs, can’t say.. They have stop kidding themselves and think darnold will do just fine with a poor OL and little weapons. Mac is going to have to grow a pair and finally tell Bowles “ Sorry offense needs 80% of the resources in draft/FA for once ever in the jets 21st century. For a few years at least. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

How could anyone say wrong track? We finally have our QB & we'll have 90 million dollars next year. No matter what happens its a win-win. Lose, play like sh*t, Bowles gets fired, New Offensive Coach comes in with Darnold & 90 million and free agents that see a young franchise QB in place.

Win & everythings cool....well...hmm...losing & Bowles being fired might be right track too. Damn, I'm confused.

The Jets, under Maccagnan, have had $90 million dollars to spend at two different times within four years. Next year will get the third time he’ll have at least $90 million dollars to spend. 

The Jets aren't hopeless.  We have the great red-headed hope at QB after all. :P  But this is a team that just seems....well....meh...at a ton of positions.  They look like they almost define mediocrity.  In fact, I'm pegging them at 7-9 or 8-8 this year.  The thing that always jumps out at me about the Jets is that there's no "star."  There's really no "dude" who is instantly identifiable with the Jets.  Just about any other team in the league you mention there's a guy who you instantly picture in your mind.  Packers....Aaron Rodgers, Falcons...Julio Jones, Texans....JJ Watt and probably now DeShaun Watson.  Heck, when you say Steelers I instantly see 3 guys.....Big Ben, Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell in my mind.  Who is the guy that most people (maybe not us diehard Jets fans but other NFL fans) think of as the face of the Jets?  I don't think there really is one.  Adams may be the mouth of the Jets but not the face.  In all reality, at this point, it's the guy we're hoping will become the face of the franchise in Sam Darnold.  But the kid has never played a NFL snap, he hasn't done anything to claim the leadership position yet.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets right now are a group of average football players with a few young, potentially budding stars (Williams, Adams, etc.) who really don't have an identity.

You ever see the jerseys that they sell on the Jets website or NFLShop.com?  Our most popular guys played in either the 60's (Namath) or 80's (Klecko).

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets, under Maccagnan, have had $90 million dollars to spend at two different times within four years. Next year will get the third time he’ll have at least $90 million dollars to spend. 

Personally, if it were up to me, I'd suggest he go buy a boat with it.

I think they're on the right track. They have a potential franchise QB, a few young cornerstone players, are very young and likely to improve, and seem to have turned what was a toxic culture to a very good one. Christopher Johnson seems to have a better idea of how to run things that his buffoonish brother.

The big question marks are really Maccagnan and Bowles, and whether they're the right guys to continue this movement/momentum.

After a few "quick fix" trades and signings won him Executive of the Year in 2015 the team imploded and Mac started from scratch with a full tilt rebuild. He has essentially lucked into the three "cornerstone" players he's drafted with most of the rest of his picks... Underwhelming. He's been good in UFDA finding supplementary pieces but as a guy touted as a scout who was going to build through the draft he just hasn't been as good in talent evaluation as you'd hope.

Bowles looked like a great hire in 2015 when the team jumped out to a 10-6 record (with, ironically, probably the best offense the team had seen in over a decade) but was a disaster in 2016 when the team clearly quit on him. They overachieved without much talent in 2017, and weren't far from winning more... Although that was largely due to the surprisingly good offense (are we detecting a trend here?) overachieving at which point Bowles fired the OC for passing too much...

Personally I think this is a BIG year for Maccagnan and Bowles. I think specifically we need to see progress from the defense. You simply cannot pour the resources we have into D and not be a top 10 unit. We also need to see progress from Darnold. If he stinks I think we do what the Rams did in dumping Jeff Fisher and try to find our own Sean McVay to "save" Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think they're on the right track. They have a potential franchise QB, a few young cornerstone players, are very young and likely to improve, and seem to have turned what was a toxic culture to a very good one. Christopher Johnson seems to have a better idea of how to run things that his buffoonish brother.

The big question marks are really Maccagnan and Bowles, and whether they're the right guys to continue this movement/momentum.

After a few "quick fix" trades and signings won him Executive of the Year in 2015 the team imploded and Mac started from scratch with a full tilt rebuild. He has essentially lucked into the three "cornerstone" players he's drafted with most of the rest of his picks... Underwhelming. He's been good in UFDA finding supplementary pieces but as a guy touted as a scout who was going to build through the draft he just hasn't been as good in talent evaluation as you'd hope.

Bowles looked like a great hire in 2015 when the team jumped out to a 10-6 record (with, ironically, probably the best offense the team had seen in over a decade) but was a disaster in 2016 when the team clearly quit on him. They overachieved without much talent in 2017, and weren't far from winning more... Although that was largely due to the surprisingly good offense (are we detecting a trend here?) overachieving at which point Bowles fired the OC for passing too much...

Personally I think this is a BIG year for Maccagnan and Bowles. I think specifically we need to see progress from the defense. You simply cannot pour the resources we have into D and not be a top 10 unit. We also need to see progress from Darnold. If he stinks I think we do what the Rams did in dumping Jeff Fisher and try to find our own Sean McVay to "save" Darnold. 

Agree. Bowles has a lockdown corner now. If our new qb plays end of the yr and is getting the sh*tt kicked out of him because our line sucks, and he has average weapons to help him, that D has to be in top 10 for Bowles to keep his job imo.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been struggling with this question. On the one hand, the Jets are talent-poor at almost every position group, but they don’t “feel” like a bad team because they have Darnold now.

That said, there aren’t five players on the team who you can point to and say, “that’s a great talent.” Williams is a nice dude, but he’s just “really good.” Lee is bad. Adams is a ******* clown. The best overall player on the roster right now is Robby Anderson, who might be an anti-establishment psycho. 

It feels like the right track to you for 2 reasons:

1) Darnold. There were people who felt we were on the right track when we landed far lesser prospects. He doesn't (or shouldn't) have to carry the team; he just has to be good enough to be a winner. Our past QBs weren't, even if some felt they seemed so in spurts. Hopefully we catch a break (that he's all we want him to be, and not have the "luck" be that this name-prospect fell to us).

2) Consider the past 2 years; spending a bunch of money on anything, plus drafting a QB, can feel like the right track even if it isn't. When it's 20 degrees outside it's still freaking cold. But it feels a lot better than it did when it was 3 degrees (-10 with the wind chill). 

Not to state the obvious, but we don't know enough yet, other than it couldn't be as bad as 2016-2017 (or some other select recent years).

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Always upbeat TOm. :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

A person who is totally negative on everything.

I voted "wrong track" simply because I don't think our current coach is any good with X's and O's and in the locker room as a leader and don't think he's the right fit for a team that's now going to be built around their franchise QB.

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I voted "wrong track" simply because I don't think our current coach is any good with X's and O's and in the locker room as a leader and don't think he's the right fit for a team that's now going to be built around their franchise QB.

Shame on you. lol

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Shame on you. lol

Don't get me wrong, as Ive said before, I think this team is going to surprise a lot of so called "experts" this year, particularly on defense, and if Darnold gets the majority of the starts at QB, it will be a very satisfying year for the fans, despite our sh*tty coach.

Fixing the QB position fixes everything.  It is also like trying to win a lottery when you are dealing with unknown commodities and once promising players coming off of injuries.  The only thing that is different this time than all of the recent attempts to hit the lottery is that the Jets have better lottery tickets.  It might not pan out, but I think that the odds are pretty good and I would classify this team as heading in the right direction.

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

2) Consider the past 2 years; spending a bunch of money on anything, plus drafting a QB, can feel like the right track even if it isn't. When it's 20 degrees outside it's still freaking cold. But it feels a lot better than it did when it was 3 degrees (-10 with the wind chill). 

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Don't get me wrong, as Ive said before, I think this team is going to surprise a lot of so called "experts" this year, particularly on defense, and if Darnold gets the majority of the starts at QB, it will be a very satisfying year for the fans, despite our sh*tty coach.

I was just bustin on ya. You're usually upbeat unlike others here.

51 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Until they stop pretending they can patch the OL with 5th, 6th rounders, UDFAs, can’t say.. They have stop kidding themselves and think darnold will do just fine with a poor OL and little weapons. Mac is going to have to grow a pair and finally tell Bowles “ Sorry offense needs 80% of the resources in draft/FA for once ever in the jets 21st century. For a few years at least. 

this draft didn't the offense get 90% of the resources?  the 3rd pick in the draft is at least worth a pick in each of the other rounds.  they picked darnold.  and maybe mac hasn't drafted any top flight olinemen, but he has drafted te's, receivers, qb's and rb's.  it's not so much the drafts have been lopsided towards the defense as the drafted players aren't always panning out.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

No, because the only position that matters is QB. If Darnold is for real, then we're fine.

11 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Wrong track? This could possibly be the best situation these jets have been in since 98. Even  better if darnold pans out. Vinny was great but he gave us his last few years of a career 

Optimism is warranted

You might be on the wring site for that.   lol

Archived