Are the Jets on the RIGHT TRACK or the WRONG TRACK?

T0mShane

Are the Jets on the RIGHT TRACK or the WRONG TRACK)   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Jets on the RIGHT TRACK or the WRONG TRACK)

• RIGHT TRACK
    • WRONG TRACK

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets, under Maccagnan, have had $90 million dollars to spend at two different times within four years. Next year will get the third time he’ll have at least $90 million dollars to spend. 

you know what, this is bowles make break year.  the jets need a coach who beat you'n with his'n and his'n with your'n.  so said bum phillips of shula.  imo the basic player talent is about the same as any other team.  it's up to bowles and the team to make the players they've got scary.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cautiously optimistic that we’re on the right track.

Not to sound repetitive, but 2017 was the beginning of a rebuild where drafting a QB was priority one. Having Darnold fall on our laps may go down as the one event that makes us turn the corner. We probably won’t be that good this year, but there’s no more excuses for this management after that.

Now that we have our QB, Everything, and I mean every action/move/ decision that’s going to take place MUST be made with Darnold’s future prospects in mind.

We’ll see...especially with Bowles.

Perhaps the better question: the next time the Jets reach ten wins, which of these things are true:

1. Bowles is the head coach, but Maccagnan is not the GM

2. Maccagnan is the GM BUT Bowles is not the head coach

3. Neither Bowles nor Maccagnan are employed by the New York Jets

4. Both Bowles and Maccagnan are still employed in their current roles

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been struggling with this question. On the one hand, the Jets are talent-poor at almost every position group, but they don’t “feel” like a bad team because they have Darnold now.

That said, there aren’t five players on the team who you can point to and say, “that’s a great talent.” Williams is a nice dude, but he’s just “really good.” Lee is bad. Adams is a ******* clown. The best overall player on the roster right now is Robby Anderson, who might be an anti-establishment psycho. 

BUT, are the Jets hopeless? 

You understate the talent, IMO.  The team is on the right track, but only because it has a potential franchise QB aboard.  The main problem is Bowles.  He is terrible in every respect.  There is not one good characteristic there other than he is a "nice guy".  So, yes, we are on the right track, but that track will be even right-er, the minute Bowles is replaced.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Perhaps the better question: the next time the Jets reach ten wins, which of these things are true:

That really is a fun question.  I say 2.

If I were to guess on the likelihood I'd go 4, 3, 2 with 1 being easily the least likely. I'd be pretty shocked if they kept Bowles and tried to hire a new GM with him as part of the deal, particularly given how thinks worked out with Idzik and Rex.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

this draft didn't the offense get 90% of the resources?  the 3rd pick in the draft is at least worth a pick in each of the other rounds.  they picked darnold.  and maybe mac hasn't drafted any top flight olinemen, but he has drafted te's, receivers, qb's and rb's.  it's not so much the drafts have been lopsided towards the defense as the drafted players aren't always panning out.

Lol really dude ? Ya we had to trade a lot of picks away becuse todd Bowles made the guys play in a shhhit season like they were still playing for the Super Bowl. We “finally “ pick an offensive player in the first round.. wow. How long has it been ? Lol. Did nothing for the O in FA. Signed a few cast offs. But on D of course we give out the highest D contract in nfl this offseason for a corner. EVERY successful team that has drafted or traded for a top qb, gives a LOT of support to that qb. First, 2nd, before the D 3rd. You are arguing against that ?

Either 2 or 4. They got to 10 wins in their first year albeit a different roster.

They did one good thing: Darnold.

Everything else is a train wreck.  Somehow this roster is devoid of talent, the offensive line neglected, a moron for a coach, and a GM who is terrible at filling out a roster unless DL's and safeties are considered a full roster.  Get rid of the coach at the very least, draft some O linemen and offensive skill players, and maybe skip getting those safeties/DL's there is a reason why they seem to always be there when its our turn in the draft (because other GM's are smart enough to draft for best available impact players not just BPA).

I'm as optimistic about this team as I have been since the end of the 2010 season. I've been a fan since 1985 and Darnold is legitimately the best QB prospect the team has drafted in my lifetime as a fan. I think we will have a very good secondary that is very young at safety. The DL is young and has a lot of nice solid players. I also like our WR corp and I think the RBs are solid enough. Our OL is suspect and we may have the worst edge rushers in the league, but we are going to have a ton of cap space next year and we still have our first round pick. 

Since Woody bought the team, every GM and HC hire has been a first-timer. If that's the route you're gonna take, you have to give them a chance to grow into the job. Between the two-year extension they got this year and the drafting of Darnold, I figure they have this year and next to demonstrate that they're capable. I'm not thrilled with either of these guys, but if Sam is the real deal, they may all of a sudden look like they know what they're doing. This may have been Mac's best off-season yet, so maybe he's learning. Bowles may look better not squeezing career years out of the likes of Fitzpatrick and McCown, too. 

I guess I'd say slightly headed in the right direction right now, time will tell if it was just a brief detour or if they actually know where they're going. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets aren't hopeless.  We have the great red-headed hope at QB after all. :P  But this is a team that just seems....well....meh...at a ton of positions.  They look like they almost define mediocrity.  In fact, I'm pegging them at 7-9 or 8-8 this year.  The thing that always jumps out at me about the Jets is that there's no "star."  There's really no "dude" who is instantly identifiable with the Jets.  Just about any other team in the league you mention there's a guy who you instantly picture in your mind.  Packers....Aaron Rodgers, Falcons...Julio Jones, Texans....JJ Watt and probably now DeShaun Watson.  Heck, when you say Steelers I instantly see 3 guys.....Big Ben, Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell in my mind.  Who is the guy that most people (maybe not us diehard Jets fans but other NFL fans) think of as the face of the Jets?  I don't think there really is one.  Adams may be the mouth of the Jets but not the face.  In all reality, at this point, it's the guy we're hoping will become the face of the franchise in Sam Darnold.  But the kid has never played a NFL snap, he hasn't done anything to claim the leadership position yet.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets right now are a group of average football players with a few young, potentially budding stars (Williams, Adams, etc.) who really don't have an identity.

You ever see the jerseys that they sell on the Jets website or NFLShop.com?  Our most popular guys played in either the 60's (Namath) or 80's (Klecko).

Hopefully Darnold can create stars. Brady has done it his whole career.

I think the roster is better than the credit people give it.  Young, but emerging. They’re deeper than they’ve been in awhile. The problem is that Bowles is a bottom 5 coach in this league. But hey, even Rich Kotite won 11 games in a year in this league... hopefully Bates is legit and there’s finally enough talent  on defense to compensate for Bowles inability to coach 

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

this draft didn't the offense get 90% of the resources?  the 3rd pick in the draft is at least worth a pick in each of the other rounds.  they picked darnold.  and maybe mac hasn't drafted any top flight olinemen, but he has drafted te's, receivers, qb's and rb's.  it's not so much the drafts have been lopsided towards the defense as the drafted players aren't always panning out.

Sure, but the way the line of excuses goes is that players drafted in rounds 4-7 don't count when they don't pan out because they're in the latter half of the draft.

So to then say, "Hey look at the offensive players he's taken in rounds 4-7" as proof of showing love to the offense, well that's kinda trying to have it both ways if/when they aren't good. 

I have no problem with him burning a trio of 2nd rounders if it meant guaranteeing a FQB. He should have taken this gamble a couple years earlier instead of wasting the past 2 full seasons trying to put lipstick on a Fitzhackpig. 

At least there's a QB that has some hope now, but if he thinks you just say "Darnold" and then the SB rings start piling up we're in for more of the same. The Saints went 7-9 for 4 out of 5 seasons despite one of the best and most prolific record-setting passers of all time, a decade-plus after any QB learning-curves ended. A QB is a must, but we need more than that to make an offense click.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets, under Maccagnan, have had $90 million dollars to spend at two different times within four years. Next year will get the third time he’ll have at least $90 million dollars to spend. 

That’s a lot of safeties.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

46-5 “Right track” is nuts and many of you are nuts.

I actually voted “right track” but I’m very skeptical. I’m always critical of the sh*t show that is NY Jets foozball but I will try and be optimistic. Mac didn’t completely sh*t the bed like usual and hopefully got us a franchise QB. That can mask a lot of warts on a team and honestly, so many other teams make really stupid moves/decisions. We can’t be that bad can we? Something’s gotta break our way for once even if it is just dumb luck. 

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sure, but the way the line of excuses goes is that players drafted in rounds 4-7 don't count when they don't pan out because they're in the latter half of the draft.

So to then say, "Hey look at the offensive players he's taken in rounds 4-7" as proof of showing love to the offense, well that's kinda trying to have it both ways if/when they aren't good. 

I have no problem with him burning a trio of 2nd rounders if it meant guaranteeing a FQB. He should have taken this gamble a couple years earlier instead of wasting the past 2 full seasons trying to put lipstick on a Fitzhackpig. 

At least there's a QB that has some hope now, but if he thinks you just say "Darnold" and then the SB rings start piling up we're in for more of the same. The Saints went 7-9 for 4 out of 5 seasons despite one of the best and most prolific record-setting passers of all time, a decade-plus after any QB learning-curves ended. A QB is a must, but we need more than that to make an offense click.

totally agree but at the same time it's way too simplistic to say they haven't done anything with the offense.  darnold should make up for all of the misses (hack and smith).  but can you imagine the uproar if they used the 6 pick on a right guard?  that's left tackle area and if there isn't one to be had then so be it.  i am a firm believer that the jets are about par with any other team, talent wise.  it's up to bowles to take those players and create a system that works.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

totally agree but at the same time it's way too simplistic to say they haven't done anything with the offense.  darnold should make up for all of the misses (hack and smith).  but can you imagine the uproar if they used the 6 pick on a right guard?  that's left tackle area and if there isn't one to be had then so be it.  i am a firm believer that the jets are about par with any other team, talent wise.  it's up to bowles to take those players and create a system that works.

I missed the part where I said they haven't done anything ;). Darnold is of course a welcome addition, but he does not make up for all the misses because first of all he hasn't succeeded yet, and second of all there were good opportunities staring us in the face for the past 4 seasons and we passed on all of them to not just try out two losers but to keep doubling down on them by passing up on drafting others. 

I am 100% right there with you on drafting a guard at #6. It is stupid in all situations. The only possible smart situation whereby one drafts a guard at #6 is if you're all set at 20 other positions and guard is the only weakness on the team. Otherwise I'd trade down before doing that 1000x out of 1000. As a FA, even a 30 year-old maybe borderline top 10 LT, was just in demand to the tune of a few million per year over a 26 year-old 1st team all pro guard who hasn't missed a start in the past 2.5 years and counting (he's had exactly one 3-game injury in his 4 NFL seasons). Guards are not as valuable no matter what some suppose is some new "trend" just because one poorly-run team tries to be cleverer than the rest.

We are not about on par with any other team talent-wise, though. That's wishful thinking doing the talking, no matter how much we all wish. The truth is this year's starters aren't dramatically better than 2017's starters. You've got an upgrade at C and an upgrade at CB and that's about it. The upgrade at C isn't yet known to be a healthy one yet (he'd still arguably be an upgrade though, lol), and we'll see if CB ends up being smart or just another example of us overthrowing money at someone's final payday. You'd think we just landed 25 year-old Revis from the way Trumaine's been talked up here, and he's nothing of the sort. I think people have unrealistic expectations of what he is based on his pay and how much less time he had to stick with his man on a team with a consistent pass rush.

Fingers crossed.

I like some of the things they did but am quite upset the OL wasn't a priority after drafting Darnold. You draft a franchise QB you have to protect that guy if your serious about starting him. That's why I dont think Darnold will see much time this year. With McCown and Teddy on the roster and Todd Bowles as the HC I think Darnold will not see much playing time. So as long as Bowles is the HC and Macc the GM I say wrong track. If one or both are gone then it will be right track depending on who they bring in.

We’re one year away from being a player in this league.  Our teams is young and has some ascesnsing talent in Robbie, Maye, Leo, Adams.  Tru is a solid 1 CB.

we have a franchise QB who will be a year seasoned.  Our OL is more solid than given credit for.  We have a first round pick in a deep LT heavy draft. 

But more importantly we have 90 million in cap space. I say throw money at Dante Fowler Jr as our pass russing OLB. Buy the #1 free agent WR and then money or picks on LT, LG and RT unless She’ll really solidifies. 

This can all happen with next years deep draft and the pile of money we have to spend. A year from now the Jets are a legit playoff team and primed to compete for the subsequent 5 years minimum.

this is the hinge year

Archived