Jets minicamp - Day 1

Patriot Killa

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think Darnold has a chance.

You are thinking like a child.. I can’t wait for darnold to take over, and be the Jets qb next 15 years. Bowles and Jets are VERY conservative.,waiting on darnold is the “ conservative safe play.” Plus when our season starts to tank, throwing darnold in the mix will be a huge boost no matter What

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Darron Lee to call the defense in the middle .. is very scary to say the least.

I think it's great.  If he's truly capable of it, then that would indicate he's come a long way with the mental part of the game.   

If Teddy B is really playing well, it makes no sense to bury him as QB3 on this team, which is likely what he'd be within a few weeks at most unless he is visibly outplaying McCown and Bowles is willing to recognize that.  If he's worth a 2nd rounder or more, or perhaps an upgrade at some starting position, I think it would make perfect sense to make that trade. 

Whether some team steps up in preseason or waits until an injury forces their hand, this could be a nice chip at the right time.  And there are a number of playoff-contending teams whose backups are big questions marks who would probably be very interested if their starter gets hurt.  

I hope we keep Teddy. Having serviceable QBs is something we should not take for granted. I could give two sh*ts about a second round pick (trade value) if it means we never again have to settle through poor QB play. 

#keeptheBridge

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who’s the team most likely to lose their minds and offer the zjets a second round pick for Bridgewater if he looks good a few weeks into the offseason? Jacksonville?

My magic 8 ball says Kansas City. Behind Mahomes the Chiefs only have Chad Henne and Matt McGloin. If Mahomes crashes and burns, Reid will want a better QB than both those gentlemen to take over the reigns.

Just Hire McNown as the Qb coach under his current salary and keep Teddy. You have to pay him anyway. I’m not trading away a 25 yr old promising Qb unless I’m blown away. And I hope most teams are scared off by the injury, which is very possible. So unless the Jets are stupid enough to cut him, we may be stuck.
Remember, Nick Foles is out there anytime a team wants to pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I can’t believe how quickly we forget decades of agony and suffering over the QB position and advocate for unloading Teddy Bridgewater because what could go wrong with the Jets recently-drafted QB?

Let’s not forget that when Teddy himself went down the Vikings panic-traded a first round pick for Bradford. 

Anything less than a first for Teddy fuggetaboutit and I don’t see anyone coming close to it.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

If Teddy B is really playing well, it makes no sense to bury him as QB3 on this team, which is likely what he'd be within a few weeks at most unless he is visibly outplaying McCown and Bowles is willing to recognize that.  If he's worth a 2nd rounder or more, or perhaps an upgrade at some starting position, I think it would make perfect sense to make that trade. 

Whether some team steps up in preseason or waits until an injury forces their hand, this could be a nice chip at the right time.  And there are a number of playoff-contending teams whose backups are big questions marks who would probably be very interested if their starter gets hurt.  

If darnold is ready to start, there’s still no reason to trade bridgewater.  There are a lot of teams the past few years who have drafted qbs and wouldn’t play him over their new guy and there are a bunch of other teams with established starters, so barring injury there are only a handful of spots for bridgewater to be in a better position than the jets.  

Besides, the jets can always use bridgewater as the backup qb if darnold starts and keep mccown inactive but have him on the bench as a coach.  I know he’s being paid a lot of money, but that was done before the jets drafted darnold and before they signed bridgewater and had an opportunity to work him out and really test his knee.  And it’s also possible that in 2019 the jets can have darnold and bridgewater as their 2 qbs and mccown is purely a coach.  So i wouldn’t be in a rush to trade bridgewater unless there’s a desperate team with a bad injury which offers the jets a compelling offer.  As soon as the jets get a few decent qb options i don’t want to think we’re burning a hole in our pocket with them.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold needs to start. Period. It is the only way he will develop. He has probably shown enough maturity and poise already to just name him the starter. I do not agree with the "best player" or "we will ruin him" nonsense at all. He is our future. Sitting does NOTHING for a QB under the practice rules we have today. Bridgewater is trade bait pure and simple.

Can’t agree with this, Aaron Rodgers sat for two years and it didn’t stop him developing. There’s no hard and fast or one size fits all route to development.

Put the best QB on the field, if that's Darnold then all well and good but Teddy has the trump card of actual pro game experience and has actually led a team to postseason, SD will have to be considerably better to have earned it over Bridgewater IMO

edit: being purely pragmatic it makes a ton of sense to talk up Teddy B as the starter too, all talk of how good he looks will just make him a more attractive proposition on the trade market...it’s win-win either way

I’m pumped Teddy is looking good but I still fall in line with trade him if we can. 2nd round pick would be my floor though and it would likely depend on which teams 2nd it was. IMO he is too valuable to move for a late 2nd.

If we were a team hell bent on the playoffs this year then I’d say hold onto Teddy but we are still rebuilding this roster and realistically we won’t be able to keep Teddy if he plays well this season. Our only options would be tag or hope he signs a reasonable deal but even then we know the future is Darnold.

52 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If darnold is ready to start, there’s still no reason to trade bridgewater.  There are a lot of teams the past few years who have drafted qbs and wouldn’t play him over their new guy and there are a bunch of other teams with established starters, so barring injury there are only a handful of spots for bridgewater to be in a better position than the jets.  

Besides, the jets can always use bridgewater as the backup qb if darnold starts and keep mccown inactive but have him on the bench as a coach.  I know he’s being paid a lot of money, but that was done before the jets drafted darnold and before they signed bridgewater and had an opportunity to work him out and really test his knee.  And it’s also possible that in 2019 the jets can have darnold and bridgewater as their 2 qbs and mccown is purely a coach.  So i wouldn’t be in a rush to trade bridgewater unless there’s a desperate team with a bad injury which offers the jets a compelling offer.  As soon as the jets get a few decent qb options i don’t want to think we’re burning a hole in our pocket with them.

It's not about a better position for Bridgewater, it's about a better QB situation for the team that wants him.  Any playoff contender that thinks they can improve their backup QB spot should absolutely be looking into it seriously.  Here are 5 examples:

LAC:  Rivers (36 years old) backed up by Geno Smith 

HOU: Watson (coming off injury) backed up by Brandon Weedon

NO:  Brees backed up by Tom Savage

JAX: Bortles backed up by Chad Henne

CAR: Cam Newton backed up by Garrett Gilbert

and for a pop-quiz, can you name the backups in LAR, MIN or SF?  All teams with playoff hopes.  Look at what Nick Foles did last year.  Backup QBs are the new black and if you can afford to trade one, you might get exceptional value in the right situation.  I don't think we would get a 2nd rounder for Teddy as insurance, but if a starter gets dinged up, even for just a few weeks, for any of these teams, I think he could be on their short list, and I'd take the call.  We are in a very rare situation for us.  We have 3 legitimate QBs right now (as opposed to often not even having 1).  

Here's another random thought.  In the right circumstance, would you keep Bridgewater and trade McCown, who might also appeal to a team like JAX who just needs a reliable guy to not screw things up.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's not about a better position for Bridgewater, it's about a better QB situation for the team that wants him.  Any playoff contender that thinks they can improve their backup QB spot should absolutely be looking into it seriously.  Here are 5 examples:

LAC:  Rivers (36 years old) backed up by Geno Smith 

HOU: Watson (coming off injury) backed up by Brandon Weedon

NO:  Brees backed up by Tom Savage

JAX: Bortles backed up by Chad Henne

CAR: Cam Newton backed up by Garrett Gilbert

and for a pop-quiz, can you name the backups in LAR, MIN or SF?  All teams with playoff hopes.  Look at what Nick Foles did last year.  Backup QBs are the new black and if you can afford to trade one, you might get exceptional value in the right situation.  I don't think we would get a 2nd rounder for Teddy as insurance, but if a starter gets dinged up, even for just a few weeks, for any of these teams, I think he could be on their short list, and I'd take the call.  We are in a very rare situation for us.  We have 3 legitimate QBs right now (as opposed to often not even having 1).  

Here's another random thought.  In the right circumstance, would you keep Bridgewater and trade McCown, who might also appeal to a team like JAX who just needs a reliable guy to not screw things up.

I think the jets may not get a great offer for bridgewater, so he will likely be worth keeping unless he gets injured again. I get that a team like houston could definitely use a better backup but pairing Watson with bridgewater does not make sense b/c both are proving to be quite fragile.

56 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Can’t agree with this, Aaron Rodgers sat for two years and it didn’t stop him developing. There’s no hard and fast or one size fits all route to development.

Put the best QB on the field, if that's Darnold then all well and good but Teddy has the trump card of actual pro game experience and has actually led a team to postseason, SD will have to be considerably better to have earned it over Bridgewater IMO

edit: being purely pragmatic it makes a ton of sense to talk up Teddy B as the starter too, all talk of how good he looks will just make him a more attractive proposition on the trade market...it’s win-win either way

Little children and big children want to take  the brand new car cross country. They don’t care about breaking it in, don’t care about hurting it,  they just want it now.. Darnold is going to be a very good qb, but he still needs work. If he was ready from the start I’d be surprised he would have fell to 3. He is a bit of a project, just turnded 21, doesn’t have a whole lot of college starts under him. Johnny boy guaranteed he will start from the beginning, I don’t see it. They will let McCown take the early hits with this O. And I do mean hits.. mid season we will see Sam. Hopefully we get a decent pick for teddy. We need picks  

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who’s the team most likely to lose their minds and offer the zjets a second round pick for Bridgewater if he looks good a few weeks into the offseason? Jacksonville?

I think he will need a few regular season snaps to vet his injury. But as soon as a contenders #1 go’s down Teddy will be next years second round pic for us. It’s all about the knee ..

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Odds that Anthony Wint is starting to bite into Lee’s reps by Week Three like Julian Stanford was?

Not sure about Wint but Williams and Minter are destined to be this teams LB'ers while Daron Lee tweets on the sidelines about being a real dawg.

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the jets may not get a great offer for bridgewater, so he will likely be worth keeping unless he gets injured again. I get that a team like houston could definitely use a better backup but pairing Watson with bridgewater does not make sense b/c both are proving to be quite fragile.

Agreed.  I wouldn't trade him for a low offer.  I think it more likely it only happens after an injury occurs that forces another team to do something.  Teams will pay decent money to a backup but don't generally trade a lot to get them before the season.  However, if any of the above starters get hurt, all bets are off.  

As for value, I'm feeling like the AJ McCarron trade that didn't happen might be a good barometer.  CLE supposedly offered a 2nd and 3rd rounder for him.  If Bridgewater is healthy and showing he can play like he used to, that's probably as good a comp as we can find.  I wouldn't use the Jimmy G deal because rumors abounded that the Pats were offered more for him but refused to trade him within the AFC.

If we were salary cap stressed, sure you trade him for whatever, but we can hold out for an injury to another team. What if Brady went down, would you trade him to New England or tell them to go f*ck themselves, lol. Personally, I would never make a trade with New England. That 1st round pick we got for Belichick was totally worth it.

Buckle up for the ride, this is going to be fun....those two guys competing couldn't be a better situation.  Teddy fighting for his career, his future, and Sammy who is so damn competitive in everything, his friends say there is no yard game too trivial that he didn't have to win.

2 minutes ago, aagarcia said:

He's not going to be traded.  If he's that good then he stays.  Period.  Next year McCown will QB coach for the Jets and Darnold/TB battle it out in training camp.  

If he's that good, they'll have to be paying him $15,000,000-$20,000,000 as a FA QB for that battle.  Plus I doubt he would want to be  on a team that has the 3rd pick in the draft as his competition. 

Look at what starting quality QB's are getting around the league

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If he's that good, they'll have to be paying him $15,000,000-$20,000,000 as a FA QB for that battle.  Plus I doubt he would want to be  on a team that has the 3rd pick in the draft as his competition. 

Look at what starting quality QB's are getting around the league

Agreed.  

Look, I love the fact that we have two young QBs who look like they can both win meaningful games for us.  But Bridgewater is on a one-year deal.  The writing is on the wall for 2019 and beyond.  It's Darnold's team unless he flops Hack-style.  Bridgewater is here to show the rest of the league he can play so he can sign a better contract in 2019 somewhere else.  So having him here is nice, but if he's behind McCown on the depth chart, it would be better to get some value for him mid-season than watch him walk at the end, and probably no comp pick because it's likely we'll sign more FAs next year than we'll lose.

I'm not rushing to get rid of him, and I'd love to see him beat McCown to start the first few weeks at least, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him if the right deal came knocking.  That doesn't make me short-sighted.  Just exactly the opposite.

1) Bridgewater isn't going to be part of this team long term. He's on a one year deal and obviously Darnold is the future. If we can recoup assets for him obviously you move him. I'd only consider keeping him if Darnold looked like Hackenberg and there was a thought Teddy might actually be our best long term option.

2) I think Darnold is starting Week 1. Seems clear they want him to win the job and he's going to have every opportunity to do it -- and every report about his talent, his progress, how he learns from mistakes and doesn't make them twice, etc... There's really no benefit to playing McCown unless the offensive line is so bad you're worried about damaging Darnold.

Non-quarterback takeaways from minicamp practice No. 1: A strong day for TE Neal Sterling, who continues to flash ... Good day for the older WRs, Jermaine Kearse and Andre Roberts ... Rookie RB Trent Cannon a bit unsteady fielding punt returns ... LB Darron Lee is making most of the defensive calls, per Todd Bowles. Demario Davis had that job last year ... Rookie CB Parry Nickerson missed an INT chance on a telegraphed sideline pass by Sam Darnold ... Isaiah Crowell not as fluid a receiver as Bilal Powell.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Jets minicamp Day 1 takeaways: Who looked good? Who didn't? Injury update | Chad Hansen, Terrelle Pryor, more

Posted June 13, 2018 at 05:00 AM | Updated June 13, 2018 at 06:51 AM

1share

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets on Tuesday held Day 1 of their three-day mandatory minicamp. So let's take a look at some takeaways from Tuesday's action, including an injury update and quarterback Sam Darnold's performance. 

new-york-jets-ota-5-23-17-27b6b8f338a83766.jpg
John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

One guy in these takeaways — wide receiver Chad Hansen. 

QUINCY ENUNWA IS BACK ... SORT OF

Enunwa, coming off neck surgery, didn't participate in the three open (to reporters) organized team activities practices. But he was out there running around Tuesday with a helmet on. (All three minicamp practices are open to reporters.) He just did individual drills Tuesday, and no team periods action. Previously, in OTAs, he was running around, but didn't have his helmet. And he didn't do any drills. Jets coach Todd Bowles said Enunwa likely won't participate in team periods until training camp. 

WHICH INJURED GUYS ARE STILL OUT?

No surprises here. These guys remained out, but the Jets are hopeful to get them all back for either the start of training camp in late July, or early in training camp — wide receiver Terrelle Pryor (ankle), wide receiver Devin Smith (knee), wide receiver Charone Peake (ankle), cornerback Morris Claiborne (wrist), and outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins (shoulder). 

TRENTON CANNON BATTLES WIND ON PUNT RETURNS

The rookie running back is still catching on with punt returns. He didn't do punt returns at Virginia State. It was a bit windy Tuesday, and Cannon struggled at times to put himself in position ... which is to be expected. Special teams coordinator Brant Boyer said he expects Cannon to face a bit of a learning curve with punt returns. He was just a kickoff returner in college. The Jets are going to be patient with Cannon on punt returns. 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER SITUATION?

With Jenkins sidelined, the Jets went with David Bass and Josh Martin as their starting outside linebackers in their base defense Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see who starts opposite Jenkins when he returns. The Jets could opt for a rotation at the spot opposite Jenkins. And whichever guy doesn't start (Bass or Martin) could be a valuable situational pass rusher. Lorenzo Mauldin remains down the depth chart. 

DEFENSIVE END SPOT OPPOSITE LEONARD WILLIAMS?

Henry Anderson got the initial reps with the first-team base defense Tuesday. The Jets are giving Anderson (acquired in a trade with the Colts during the draft) a chance to show he deserves to play over rookie Nathan Shepherd. Most likely, the Jets will use a committee approach to the end spot opposite Williams. 

BIGGEST HIGHLIGHTS FROM TUESDAY

Chad Hansen's productive spring continued, as he caught everything that came his way. Could Hansen be putting himself in position to perhaps be the Jets' No. 4 receiver? If so, who would he bump out? Jermaine Kearse won't give up his spot in the pecking order easily. He showed off strong hands Tuesday while holding on to a high pass from Sam Darnold. 

BIGGEST LOWLIGHTS FROM TUESDAY

Isaiah Crowell had a brutal drop on a pass from Darnold. Crowell was wide open. Lawrence Thomas had a miserable day of catching passes in a positional drill, against no defense. Then again, he is a fullback and isn't going to get a lot of targets anyway. 

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

WHAT'S UP WITH SPENCER LONG?

His reps increased from when we last saw him, a week earlier in OTAs. Long is coming off quadriceps surgery. He looked pretty good, except for one botched snap. The Jets rotated Jonotthan Harrison in with the starting offensive line a bit, to give Long a rest. But Long got more work this week. 

TODD BOWLES ON J.J. WILCOX

The Jets signed the free agent safety after Rontez Miles hurt his knee. So what does Bowles like about Wilcox? 

"We are looking for versatility at that spot," Bowles said. "He can play free and strong. That is one of the reasons why we signed him." 

So maybe the Jets can keep Wilcox as a universal safety backup, if they just want to retain three safeties. 

HOW DID QUARTERBACKS LOOK?

Sam Darnold, Josh McCown, and Teddy Bridgewater were all solid. Click here for our quarterback takeaways, with a heavy emphasis on what Darnold did, of course. 

WHAT'S NEXT FOR JETS?

Day 2 of their three-day minicamp — with reporters present, as we'll be all week — is Wednesday. Practice is scheduled to go from 1:20 to 4 p.m. But on Tuesday, it ended around 3:30. As with all spring practices, Wednesday's session is closed to the public. 

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I don't think you can compare the Rodgers situation to this.  The rules of practice have changed over the years and now there are limits to the amount of practice time teams have, particularly for backup and 3rd string players.  In the modern NFL, the only way to truly develop is to play in real games.  Assuming he's ready, I think it's important for Darnold to get as many starts under his belt as he can this year when team expectations are not high. This way, he can can go through his growing pains with as little pressure as possible in 2018 so he can come out guns blazing in 2019. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

This thread proves that this fanbase doesn't know how to react to reports of good/improving
QB play in practice 

It also proves they have zero clue how Teddy Bridgewater is here for 1 year at most, absolutely zero chance the Jets will retain him after this season on a 25 million franchise tag.  Sorry maybe 1%, and that’s if Darnold has a catosrophic injury like Teddy did.  You have to trade Teddy if your offered anything remotely decent.

13 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I read the entire thread and all I came away with is ‘how the hell did the NYJ get darnold at pick 3’?   

Two things, actually three: 1. The Browns were completely duped by the Bakery Mayfield frenzy; 2. the Giants and Gettleman were in total win-now at no-expense and fck-the-future mode for Eli Manning; and finally, 3. The trade up to #3 with the Colts.  

The stars aligned.  The chances were remote, but for once...  an extremely rare stroke of luck for the New York Jets.  It has been a long time since we wound up on the right side of a lucky charm.  Mac better leave that horshoe up his ass.  

Archived