Jets minicamp - Day 1

Patriot Killa

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Steve Young had 20 NFL starts and a season or two in the USFL before he even got to the 49ers.

There will be a bid difference in perception.  Rodgers was the 24th pick in the draft, selected to backup a sure HOF.  Brady was 199 a 6th round comp selected to backup a 28 year old former #1 overall that had been to the super bowl and led the NFL in passing yards.. The idea that they equate with #3 overall  sitting behind McCown and a guy who hasn't completed a pass in anger since January of 2016 is laughable.

It is a different world.  I can understand not rushing Darnold and that letting him start out as the backup and slowly working him in saves some mental pressure and lets you play him and sit him without acting like he lost the job, OTOH the idea he has to sit for years is insanity. The Pack had the balls to extend Rodgers after 7 starts - If the Jets do that with Darnold, that extension will cost $30M+ a season.  Are you prepared to do that?  I'm not. 

You missed the point Darnold isn't sitting behind a future HOF'er I'm for starting him as soon as he shows he's ready..

33 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

You missed the point Darnold isn't sitting behind a future HOF'er I'm for starting him as soon as he shows he's ready..

Fully agree, but the facts I listed are more reasons.  Steve Young was a reclamation project received in return for a 2nd and a 4th. Young backing up Montana was more similar to David Carr backing up Eli Manning than the Darnold situation. 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Ive been reading this site for a long time, going back to jetsinsider.com days and I can honestly say this is the most ridiculous take Ive ever read

Sam Darnold, the best QB prospect to come out in years, a guy who never should have been available at our pick and who, if he starts opening day, wil be the youngest starting QB in NFL history.....should be traded if Teddy Bridgewater, a good, but far from great player, has a good preseason and training camp.

Literally insane

this site was never affilated with JetInsider.com.  that was Scout.com - but just for a short period of time.

22 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxC-4_TFHCw

Interview of Teddy Bridgewater

What a great guy with such a positive attitude. Amazing, we go from 1 guy like McCown (Good guy, great attitude) to 3 guys adding Teddy & drafting Darnold. Wish Teddy nothing but the best, here or wherever he goes as long as its not in the AFC.

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

How much are you getting paid for writing  this? 

It’s less absurd than everyone tripping over themselves talking up trading Bridgewater after hearing a smattering of lukewarm reports out of minicamp.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Ive been reading this site for a long time, going back to jetsinsider.com days and I can honestly say this is the most ridiculous take Ive ever read

Sam Darnold, the best QB prospect to come out in years, a guy who never should have been available at our pick and who, if he starts opening day, wil be the youngest starting QB in NFL history.....should be traded if Teddy Bridgewater, a good, but far from great player, has a good preseason and training camp.

Literally insane

You must’ve missed the one about trading Bridgewater after an optimistic minicamp report.

3 hours ago, talisaynon said:

I think we'd be better if Darron Lee stays far away from this team. But then again looks like Bowles has tied his cart to this horse, so good luck to him. If it goes bad he'll be fired.

Just wait for a windy day in East Rutherford and Darron Lee will be blown to Connecticut.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

You must’ve missed the one about trading Bridgewater after an optimistic minicamp report.

The Jets should consider keeping Bridgewater as their franchise QB and shipping out Darnold. 

Also, no one would ever give the Jets anything for Bridgewater. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets should consider keeping Bridgewater as their franchise QB and shipping out Darnold. 

congratulations you have correctly identified the reductio ad absurdum. For the rest of you don’t bother googling, it’s not a Harry Potter spell.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Now granted, it's the Browns, but they are strongly believed to have offered a 2nd and a 3rd for McCarron last year.  They are also supposed to have offered more than a 2nd for Garoppolo (and this was before anyone knew he'd rock out with his jock out in SF the last 6 weeks).  So there is some precedent for mid-season trades for QBs.  At least with regard to one team that happens to also be the one that drafted Mayfield over Darnold, so there's that.

However, if Bortles goes down, JAX isn't going to be happy riding the Chad Henne train to the playoffs.  And the Chargers have ambitions and behind Rivers is...Geno.  It would probably take an injury to a starter, but I believe there's at least a handful of teams that would kick the tires on Teddy and a few other QBs rather than stick with their backups.  Then it's just a matter of who they like and what the price is.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You guys want to keep Bridgewater around to compete with the third overall pick for playing time why

Because I have zero faith in Macc putting anything outside a first round pick to good use. If we can get a first, fine. That isn’t happening so I will keep the player.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because I have zero faith in Macc putting anything outside a first round pick to good use. If we can get a first, fine. That isn’t happening so I will keep the player.

Gotta think big, jgb. You’d be getting that second rounder for the NEXT GM

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Leo  and Sam only two first rounders Macc draft prolly worth a damn. They both fell on Macc  like pigeon poop. Pigeons poop on anyone 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gotta think big, jgb. You’d be getting that second rounder for the NEXT GM

I’m also haunted by ghosts of quarterbacks past. I want in-game confirmation that Darnold isn’t a bust before cutting the line on bridgewater. Yes even if that means we get nothing for him when he walks at the end of the season. So what? If Darnold proves to be the man would jets fans really complain about not getting a 4th round pick or whatever for bridgewater?  It would be like complaining you didn’t have a house fire and thus wasted your money on insurance premiums.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m also haunted by ghosts of quarterbacks past. I want in-game confirmation that Darnold isn’t a bust before cutting the line on bridgewater. Yes even if that means we get nothing for him when he walks at the end of the season. So what? If Darnold proves to be the man would jets fans really complain about not getting a 4th round pick for bridgewater?  It would be like complaining you didn’t have a house fire because you wasted your money on the insurance premiums.

But you don’t find out about Darnold if Bridgewater is playing, no?

Just now, T0mShane said:

But you don’t find out about Darnold if Bridgewater is playing, no?

I have no opinion on that. Best guy should play. If Darnold is so great that he starts week one and never looks back all the better. If Darnold “proves it” by the trade deadline, alright then fine explore a trade (won’t get much). I’m really reacting to the opinions I’ve seen regarding “showcasing” (hate that word) bridge in the preseason and moving him immediately thereafter.

If Bridgewater beats him out he should play. If he pulls a drew brees, (Brees blew up when rivers was drafted) its a good problem to have. I assume we'd get some comp in that scenario 

I dont know why we'd rush to move him 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Now granted, it's the Browns, but they are strongly believed to have offered a 2nd and a 3rd for McCarron last year.  They are also supposed to have offered more than a 2nd for Garoppolo (and this was before anyone knew he'd rock out with his jock out in SF the last 6 weeks).  So there is some precedent for mid-season trades for QBs.  At least with regard to one team that happens to also be the one that drafted Mayfield over Darnold, so there's that.

However, if Bortles goes down, JAX isn't going to be happy riding the Chad Henne train to the playoffs.  And the Chargers have ambitions and behind Rivers is...Geno.  It would probably take an injury to a starter, but I believe there's at least a handful of teams that would kick the tires on Teddy and a few other QBs rather than stick with their backups.  Then it's just a matter of who they like and what the price is.

What would garappolo have gotten if they knew he was going to win all those games?  First rounder right?

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Leo  and Sam only two first rounders Macc draft prolly worth a damn. They both fell on Macc  like pigeon poop. Pigeons poop on anyone 

But macc manuvered nicely to get the poop to fall directly on his head. So at least he a good manuverer. 

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

What would garappolo have gotten if they knew he was going to win all those games?  First rounder right?

Way more.  Wouldn't you have gladly dropped two firsts to get him if we weren't in position to land Darnold or maybe Rosen?  Ironically his numbers weren't all that fantastic, but winning 5 games with that team says something beyond the numbers.  I hope he plays well long after Brady is gone so NE fans can suck their thumbs and cry over the one that got away, which they so richly deserve.

Archived