Oakland Raiders release Hackenberg

24 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Raiders depth chart:

Derek Carr

Connor Cook 

EJ Manuel

...not an ideal landing spot for him. 

Cook is beyond horrible. Manuel is mediocre.  The fact that Christina Wackinturd couldn’t even survive until preseason speaks volumes 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

maybe I missed something, but with just josh, teddy and sam who is going to play the 4th pre-season game?

do we pick up a scrub or pray no one gets hurt?

Teddy

And no we are not resigning Hackintard under any circumstances I’d rather we sign Tim freaking Tebow or Colin “look at me” Kaepernick or Johnny “Baker in 4 years” Manziel to start one lousy preseason game 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

He was never good.  Certainly not stellar.  His first year was a mirage.  This is what I feel I have to explain over and over.  Drives me nuts.

If a guy puts one year of maybe above average tape, and I stress MAYBE, out there... along with 2 terrible years of college plus 2 more terrible years of pro...

The one season is the aberration and not the norm.  He didn't "forget how to play" as you put it.  HE NEVER FREAKIN' COULD PLAY TO BEGIN WITH!

His first year he had Allen Robinson at Penn State.  Once he left Hack got exposed

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetsjets said:

If this is the case (don’t kill me guys) would it make since to bring him back into camp? If we have to pay him we should put him to work. We can get more recievers on the Field with 4 QBs plus we can revisit the trade option. Worst case we cut him after the preseason 

Looks like the Jets purposely dropped to three QBs to give Darnold the additional work. 

36 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

maybe I missed something, but with just josh, teddy and sam who is going to play the 4th pre-season game?

Unless he's already traded, Teddy. 

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I guess they needed his roster spot plus Gruden realized he couldn't beat out Cook or Manuel and didn't want to spend time on him. I think he could make a CFL team. 

I’m sure Gruden barbecued Hack on a daily freaking basis in practice.  I’ve seen Gruden in actual TC footage he makes the Drill Instructor from Full Metal Jacket look soft when his players are messing up

I’m having an E-Hackulation because for two freaking years I had Macagnan apologists tell me we can’t give up on this guy already and he has talent it’s just the poor coaching and how dare anyone criticize him he hasn’t even played in a regular season game yet and Mac wasted a high draft pick on him

Bye bye Hack, I knew Gruden would cut your dumb ass I’m actually shocked it took this long

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Looks like the Jets purposely dropped to three QBs to give Darnold the additional work. 

Unless he's already traded, Teddy. 

Only way we trade Teddy is if a team has an injury to a starting qb AND he looks good in preseason weeks 1 and 2

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Only way we trade Teddy is if a team has an injury to a starting qb AND he looks good in preseason weeks 1 and 2

Jets will be shopping Teddy, and I suspect they'll find a buyer. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets will be shopping Teddy, and I suspect they'll find a buyer. 

Again I don’t think anyone else is really that high on him.  Even his own team that drafted him and had a ton of cap room didn’t even consider resigning him at a gimp leg discount 

A lot of people are saying Colts butI don’t think he’s significantly better than Jacoby Brissett

As crazy as it sounds only team I could see having any hypothetical interest is the pats because they lost Jimmy G but no way in hell does Belichick ever trade with us

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Like the way the Pats didn't trade Garoppolo? 

they had to, contract situation demanded it. In fact they were stupid to have waited. Browns offered them move prior to the draft. 

I don't know if you were trying to make a point, but it was lost me. 

Just now, Paradis said:

they had to, contract situation demanded it. In fact they were stupid to have waited. Browns offered them move prior to the draft. 

I don't know if you were trying to make a point, but it was lost me. 

Bridgewater's contract situation is the same as Garoppolo's last year. He's a free agent after the season, and the only way the Jets could possibly retain him would be by using the franchise tag. 

So, like the Pats, the smart move would be to trade him - sooner rather than later, no? 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Bridgewater's contract situation is the same as Garoppolo's last year. He's a free agent after the season, and the only way the Jets could possibly retain him would be by using the franchise tag. 

So, like the Pats, the smart move would be to trade him - sooner rather than later, no? 

I get what you're saying - but there's a dark side to this that you're not acknowledging. We don't have Brady holding down the fort. I don't have the answer for how you manager this situation effectively, but if Bridgewater can play.... let him play. Sam's not going anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I get what you're saying - but there's a dark side to this that you're not acknowledging. We don't have Brady holding down the fort. I don't have the answer for how you manager this situation effectively, but if Bridgewater can play.... let him play. Sam's not going anywhere. 

The Jets aren't looking at Teddy as a potential starter. Darnold is getting the bulk of the work, and McCown is getting all of his work with the starters. Bridgewater is an insurance policy. Once they feel he's worth more in a trade than he is on the bench, they'll move him. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

yea... and to that point - how does one make such a horrific error of judgement on that level? I know it happens, but not THAT badly, that often. Not at QB. Sure you get your fair share of Gabberts and Ponders but they still get a stretch run on the field for a few seasons (as oppose to Hack who couldn't even pull up 2nd string duties.

How is that a guy who EVERYONE knew was not NFL material, still get drafted that high? How!?! How the hell does that happen??? Mac's making MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. I'm assuming that's cause he's a rare commodity. Otherwise, i'll take the fcking job. 

Yup just what the Jets need.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here's what I don't get: How are you that big of a recruit and have a stellar rookie season in college, then completely forget how to play the game?  He was good.  What happened to this kid?

Anyway, he's got a couple of million and a degree....I hope he's fine.

I'm sure he'll be fine in the non football world. Still shocked that he didn't even make it to TC. Gruden must have said WTF? and decided not to waste anymore time on him. Kinda sad.

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

While it's a black eye for Mac it does vindicate bowles' decision to never give him a chance to get on the field. It also proves that bowles wasn't responsible for his lack of development because if there was anything to develop he wouldn't have been cut this fast by the raiders.

Bowles, Mac and Hack all suck.  No vindication.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm sure he'll be fine in the non football world. Still shocked that he didn't even make it to TC. Gruden must have said WTF? and decided not to waste anymore time on him. Kinda sad.

Can’t even survive to July!

9 hours ago, RoadFan said:

He was never good.  Certainly not stellar.  His first year was a mirage.  This is what I feel I have to explain over and over.  Drives me nuts.

If a guy puts one year of maybe above average tape, and I stress MAYBE, out there... along with 2 terrible years of college plus 2 more terrible years of pro...

The one season is the aberration and not the norm.  He didn't "forget how to play" as you put it.  HE NEVER FREAKIN' COULD PLAY TO BEGIN WITH!

I get you never liked the guy; but to say he could never play is ridiculous.  I am not saying he should have been 'given a chance.'  He never should have been drafted in the first place. But he was ranked as one of the best recruits coming out of high school (5 star) by multiple ranking sources, and had a decent year as a freshman.  I find it strange that he never developed into anything better from that point.  Just a thought, just a comment.  

• Upvote 1

so do we still have to wait for him to "develop" before we can judge-he was a terrible pick when mac picked him and it is so bigly sad a NFL gm could not see how bad of a player Hac was-once again the FAN KNEW BETTER

• Upvote 2

Obviously Hack wasn't a good draft pick. Of course they didn't know that at the time. Selecting him in the 2nd round was a complete stretch. Wasn't the story at the time that Mac thought another team was going to select him (wish they did). Most experts (except for Grudin) said he should have gone in the 5th round. As for Hack's career (if there is one) unless another NFL team picks him up there is a new league debuting next year the AAF, the new XFL, too but Hack needs playing time. He's been a practice Qb for two years and playing time in a real game, that's the only way he can prove himself now. 

15 hours ago, Lith said:

And so, the Hackenberg era in Oakland has come to an end.  I kind of feel bad for the kid -- not his fault that he is just not an NFL caliber QB who was badly overdrafted.

Homeboy made a cool million playing Xbox in an NFL locker room and he had no more business being there than you or I...and you feel sorry for him? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

4th pre season game?  That one should be the rookie IMO.  There's no more logical place to start him than that unless he lights it up in camp and earns starter spot for any of the other three pre season games.

My two cents.  I feel bad for the kid because he should have never been drafted that high by Mac in the first lace.  It put incredible pressure on a player that required a ton of development. Not only did Mac make a terrible pick, he also wasn't prepared to put a proper development program in place to maximize whatever talent Hackenberg might have had.  This organization really screwed Hackenberg as far as I'm concerned and was one of the worst draft swing and misses Ive seen in the NFL draft n a long time. That's all on Mac. 

• Upvote 1