Oakland Raiders release Hackenberg

1 hour ago, slats said:

Bridgewater has never been a "lights out" player. He was a pretty good starter in Minnesota, never putting up a better year than McCown had for the Jets last year. This idea that he's some great QB is misguided. 

The Jets are looking at all three guys, giving Darnold the most reps, many with the starters, giving McCown nothing but reps with the starters, and giving Bridgewater the scraps. You may think they should be looking at Bridgewater as a potential starter, but they're not. They're preparing McCown to start, and Darnold to take over ASAP. It should be no surprise that the Jets are the most impressed with the #3 pick in the draft (who most predicted to go #1 overall) over a guy who went at the end of the first round and hasn't really played football for the two years since his leg accidentally fell off. 

I feel like we're having 2 different conversations. I get what you're saying, and it's likely exactly how they're managing the situation... I'm just saying IF, that's important distinction, IF he's playing lights out, there's needs to be a deeper conversation about this. 

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Having seen Cook play against the Texans in the playoffs I'm not sure this is much to crow about.

Lets just say there is a big big dropoff from Derek Carr to C Cook,  or E J Manuel.  If c Cook was all that , he would easily beat out Ej Manuel.   That hasn't happened, and he's no closer to winning the backup Qb job.

Now with that said no third string Qb with no playing experience whatsoever, thrown into a game against a playoff caliber defense,  is going to be successful.    ( just aren't going to have chemistry with players you never threw too. So I can't kill Cook there.

13 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Lets just say there is a big big dropoff from Derek Carr to C Cook,  or E J Manuel.  If c Cook was all that , he would easily beat out Ej Manuel.   That hasn't happened, and he's no closer to winning the backup Qb job.

Now with that said no third string Qb with no playing experience whatsoever, thrown into a game against a playoff caliber defense,  is going to be successful.    ( just aren't going to have chemistry with players you never threw too. So I can't kill Cook there.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. I'm just saying we haven't seen anything from Cook to indicate he's a real NFL QB thus far, college heroics aside.

10 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

I guess connor cook was > the hack after all.  Who would have guessed that a guy who won like 90% of his games and lead his team to multiple bowl games was better than a guy who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a pass.

Cook is awful. If Hack can’t take that guy’s job as a third stringer he really must suck hard

40 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

get over it already Mac made the pick took a chance it didnt work out move the **** on already

I guy has the physical tools the size and the smarts he just can throw the football for some strange reason its mind boggling 

We were tortured by Hack and Petty for two years f that

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We were tortured by Hack and Petty for two years f that

no not f that..... we didnt have the Draft position to get a Darnold the last few years and at this stage I'm greatful Macc held his ground and didn't reach for guys like Paxton Lynch I hope you are too

19 hours ago, jgb said:

Actually in Canada accuracy is even more important than in US due to wider field. Plays tend to go horizontal than vertical. Misnomer that a bust in USA could automatically be a star in Canada. Pennington would’ve been incredible in canada due to accuracy.

Accuracy on 2 yard passes?  

• Haha 2

Hackenburg's career is likely over. There is no regular season tape on him, and the preseason tape is just abysmal. Getting cut after a 1/15 5 int practice will nail his coffin shut.

However, in this thread a lot of people are saying he was universally rated poorly before the draft. That is just not true. There was the famous undraftable rating by PFF which in hindsight gives some strength to the accuracy of their evaluation methods, but there were quite a few evaluations that rated him highly.

The long term effect of Hackenburg is that teams will downgrade inaccurate QBs more aggressively, maybe with exception of an Allen that has one of the biggest arms in NFL history.

28 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

He'll get an opportunity somewhere. There's two new leagues (AAF and XFL) forming. I'm sure one of them will give him a chance. His physical ability will be enticing.

..a person's " physical ability " can be enticing... to some  ?

ny1.jpg

On 6/13/2018 at 9:34 AM, flgreen said:

Suspect sometime today we'll be hearing that Gruden signed Hack to his PS.  Gets to keep his 7th, and keep a developmental player on the PS

I honestly don't think so. I think Gruden, who is a great QB analyst took one (or 2) looks at Hack and said " Nah, nothing there to work with" .

13 hours ago, sourceworx said:

He'll get an opportunity somewhere. There's two new leagues (AAF and XFL) forming. I'm sure one of them will give him a chance. His physical ability will be enticing.

I think Hack will be throwing interceptions to Roman Reigns in the XFL next year

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's being reported that after passing waivers Christian Hackenberg is up in New England for a visit. 

They're going to pick his brain then tell him to kick rocks. 

I wish I could be a fly on the wall for that conversation:

Belichick:  So Christian can you tell us about the jets playbook?

Hackenberg: Uh, I dunno I don’t remember duh plays

On 6/13/2018 at 3:26 PM, Raideraholic said:

Manuel is significantly better than Cook and I think Manuel sucks

Connor Cook is a hot garbage sandwich

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Manuel is significantly better than Cook and I think Manuel sucks

Connor Cook is a hot garbage sandwich

Connor Cook has looked pretty bad this offseason.    ( Just how bad did Hackenberg look). It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders signed J Manziel ( up in Canada ) at some point during the season.    J Gruden has always liked him, and he's willing to sign for cheap.( to get another chance to play in the NFL.     Johnny football fits the type of Qb Gruden prefers,   than  someone like Hackenberg.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, johnnysd said:

Hackenburg's career is likely over. There is no regular season tape on him, and the preseason tape is just abysmal. Getting cut after a 1/15 5 int practice will nail his coffin shut.

However, in this thread a lot of people are saying he was universally rated poorly before the draft. That is just not true. There was the famous undraftable rating by PFF which in hindsight gives some strength to the accuracy of their evaluation methods, but there were quite a few evaluations that rated him highly.

The long term effect of Hackenburg is that teams will downgrade inaccurate QBs more aggressively, maybe with exception of an Allen that has one of the biggest arms in NFL history.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but was that really his stat line with Oakland? Wow.

You are correct - the evaluations of him were all across the board. I don't hate Mac like a lot around here do, but I was really disappointed in the pick. Not so much about the round picked, but that Mac was spooked and most likely took him before he wanted to. Pretty weak.

20 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Connor Cook has looked pretty bad this offseason.    ( Just how bad did Hackenberg look). It wouldn't surprise me if the Raiders signed J Manziel ( up in Canada ) at some point during the season.    J Gruden has always liked him, and he's willing to sign for cheap.( to get another chance to play in the NFL.     Johnny football fits the type of Qb Gruden prefers,   than  someone like Hackenberg.

I think Manziel had to sign a two year commitment with the CFL. He's with the Ti-cats and they open the season in 20 minutes on ESPN2 I think. But he's second on the depth chart to starter Jeremiah Masoli who was a prospect at one time when at Oregon. But that was years ago. 

On 6/17/2018 at 3:42 AM, Larz said:

It's a little embarrassing not to be one of the best 96 QBs on planet earth but if he's smart he has some money and can open a life insurance brokerage in western PA 

Being over drafted, Hack signed a 2nd round contract.

The Kid made over $2Mill in two years. Not bad to say he stood on the sideline and did nothing.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:19 PM, Raideraholic said:

Yes, Las Vegas is a fantastic place for Manziel. 

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 4:57 PM, RoadFan said:

DOES.

NOT.

BELONG.

IN.

NFL.

NEVER. F*CKING. DID.

The Hacky nut sack clown fans around should watch another sport and join a a cult with a faith healing tent... Because they certainly don't understand the QB position, and apparently don't require actual facts and evidence to believe in something.