Bates Says Darnold Could be Week 1 Starter

JetNation

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

My opinion is that Darnold has to be far and away the best QB in training camp to start opening day.  If it is a close battle... one of the veterans win the job.

If the normally pessimistic, sarcastic and cynical Jets beat writers run out of positive adjectives to describe Darnold's play at mini-camp... the Jets are are probably in damn good shape going forward.  No rush.  He is going to play soon enough one way or another.

I think of all the idiotic football cliches that people regurgitate over and over and over and over, the "must be far and away the best" to start cliche for a young QB is one of the absolute dumbest, and when it is said in regards to the third pick in the draft that in most evaluations was the clear #1, it is especially idiotic. Starting Darnold is not only about his play in the preseason, but the VAST potential he has as the future of the franchise, and the ONLY way he develops is through playing. Rodgers was under Favre and a much much different CBA. If Darnold looks at all competent he starts. He does not need to be better than McClown or Bridgewater, he simply needs to shown that he is capable of managing the game at a halfway decent level and learning. On this brain dead criteria Manning, Aikman Luck all would not have started their rookie seasons.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Darnold is the starter, period.   

They have McCown in case Darnold crashes and burns during preseason but barring disaster the job is his.   McCown is a nice safety blanket if Darnold sh*ts the bed during the season.  You can always plug McCown in to hold the fort for a few games while Darnold regroups but we should all rejoice that Darnold is the Jets QB for the next 15 years.   

We sure hope so but a little early to write his name in ink next to "Franchise QB."

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

ZERO chance that anyone other than McCown is the started day one unless he gets hurt in pre season.

Totally agree and so does Bowles and it’s the right move.  I’d prefer to see Teddy start first 6-8 games and if we’re at.500 and Darnold looks prepared then have him take over. But to start him right off the bat with that mediocre OL could backfire. 

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

And what in the hell does he gain from those 4 weeks? Nothing in my view

He'd avoid the worst part of the schedule, three games in 11 days, 3/4 on the road, all while the new offense and zone blocking scheme work their kinks out. I don't think that's a bad plan at all. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Totally agree and so does Bowles and it’s the right move.  I’d prefer to see Teddy start first 6-8 games and if we’re at.500 and Darnold looks prepared then have him take over. But to start him right off the bat with that mediocre OL could backfire. 

Teddy is the least likely of the three QBs to start a game for the Jets this year. Opening day, it's already down to McCown vs. Darnold. Look at the rep numbers in practice; Darnold gets the most overall and a bunch with the starters, McCown gets all of his with the starters, and Bridgewater gets what's left. He's not in the conversation. 

Darnold is the starter, period.   
They have McCown in case Darnold crashes and burns during preseason but barring disaster the job is his.   McCown is a nice safety blanket if Darnold sh*ts the bed during the season.  You can always plug McCown in to hold the fort for a few games while Darnold regroups but we should all rejoice that Darnold is the Jets QB for the next 15 years.   

I’m hoping 18-20

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 year as a bad OC on his resume and suddenly he is an authority on when a QB is ready to roll? His resume gives me no more confidence than if KC made the call. There is NOTHING about this guys past as an OC that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired and have Darnold learning a whole new offense next year. 

Now that being said.........I hope this is the year they all pull it together and provide a glimpse of an effective offense for a chance. 

The offense was really not that bad last year, especially if you consider the personnel. No hall of gamers on our side last season

Both sides of the argument for starting or not starting first few games make sense. I don’t want to beat a dead horse. We have a very unique situation though. If Darnold looks that good, McCown is healthy AND we don’t trade Teddy in the preseason after he plays well, a 3 game display of skill during the toughest stretch of schedule may not be a bad idea. 

I would much rather trade keep Teddy as a backup in a perfect world but do not see that happening or what he wants IF he returns to form since he will be looking to start elsewhere next year. The next best thing is trade him during the preseason. If that doesn’t happen, maybe it’d be good to have a 3 game audition during what would be an awkward 11 day stretch for a rookie. I think we all agree the Darnold will start sooner rather than later. High quality problem for once. Beats foot fetish scandals or buttfumbles. 

I think what fans forget regarding the QB position is that Darnold is more athletic than both McCown & Bridgewater, and I'm not talking about running with the ball, I'm talking about expansion of the playbook because Sam is just BETTER at moving & throwing on the run. 

That talent HELPS Oline. RPOs, roll outs, ect, Darnold I'm sure is already better than the other 2 right now at these types of plays. Bates made it clear, "we are throwing everything at him". If Sam can handle the playbook, communicate the plays  in the huddle without running out of time & has success in preseason, he will definitely be the starting QB for the NY Jets in Detroit. If he is the starter, I guarantee you viewership rises for that game tremendously. 

14 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

No. Put Darnold in a few games after we’re ahead or behind and start him a few. If he can play trade Bridges if he can’t resign Bridges to a multi year contract. 

Imagine what a great problem it would be if Bridge was winning game. This place would melt.

2 hours ago, slats said:

He'd avoid the worst part of the schedule, three games in 11 days, 3/4 on the road, all while the new offense and zone blocking scheme work their kinks out. I don't think that's a bad plan at all. 

This is the best argument for me. Otherwise I'd say if it's even close he should just start and get as many lumps in this season as he can. Also two of those first three games we're the only NFL game on, so the whole country would be fixated on him. Plenty of those games are going to happen, but first and third games of his career are a bit rough. I'd say the Cleveland one should be easier because it's Cleveland, but they've made a bunch of moves and it's half-expected that any decent QB should throw for 300 yds and 2-3 TDs against them (even though it didn't happen once last year because there was no need). 

I take for granted that an experienced QB like McCown is going to have a huge advantage just because nothing has been new to him for well over a decade. So if Darnold's even really close by the end of the summer that's close enough since he's the only one of the two will get better beyond that.

I'm generally of the opinion that he (or any young QB) shouldn't be held back unless he's so raw he just looks lost out there, where all he's going to accomplish is getting hit and hit and starting to develop & reinforce bad habits that are hard to undo once they've taken root (especially hard to undo once the season is underway and he has to focus on gameplans not reinforcing the basics). 

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

The offense was really not that bad last year, especially if you consider the personnel. No hall of gamers on our side last season

That is exactly right. Yet Todd Bowles fired the OC for over achieving with his unit, why Bowles once again under achieved with his. Bowles wants to take us back to the dark ages and run the ball, pass conservatively. Why Morton was fired. 

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

1 year as a bad OC on his resume and suddenly he is an authority on when a QB is ready to roll? His resume gives me no more confidence than if KC made the call. There is NOTHING about this guys past as an OC that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired and have Darnold learning a whole new offense next year. 

Now that being said.........I hope this is the year they all pull it together and provide a glimpse of an effective offense for a chance. 

When you are ripping Bates career, have you actually spent more then 2 mins looking through what he has done, and how it translates to the jets?

I say that because you said "1 year as OC" which is true from a title perspective.  But if you actually wanted to see what an offense that he runs is capable of you should read about the 2008 Broncos.  Shanahan was the HC - who didnt call plays or install the offense each week.  Bates was the play caller and who assisted him in the install each week, Rick Dennison, who served as Oline coach and coordinated the running game.  Which just happens to be the exact setup we have here. That season the Broncos finished second in the NFL in total yards.

The NFL currently employs career failures like Brian Schottneheimer and Marty Mornenwhig, guys who we have seen first hand have no idea what they are doing.  We finally have a smart, young coach who by most accounts is good with QBs and we cant wait to rip him, even after a year where an offense that lost their top WR, had the worst center in the league and had Matt Forte playing RB was somewhat productive.  

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

I actually agree with this but last year we had a different OC calling the plays and apparently he was so difficult to get along with he:

1. never got an offer to be an OC from anyone else ever despite many years in the league.

2. apparently didnt get along with his staff

2. couldnt turn Hack into TB.

I dont believe the reports that he was fired for passing too much, I believe he was fired for situational calls that required better judgement as to whether a pass was a better option than a run. It also sounded like when he was spoken to about it he didnt take it very well.

He was fired for good reasons :yahoo: and there is no EVIDENCE that this one is any better but he might be. We will see. 

What really sucks is that for the next 6 weeks or so the coaches can't even talk to Darnold.  He has to hire a private guy like Palmer to help him prep for camp.

Darnold seems like the kind of guy who would love to spend the next 6 weeks making Bates crazy with questions.  This CBA rule is goofy.  If a young guy wants to work, let him work.  The only players the rule benefits are the vets.  it makes it a lot harder for aggressive rookies to improve and take their jobs.  It's one of the main reasons it's so hard to develop a QB in the NFL right now.  

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Look up the 2008 Broncos, he called the plays and Dennison was his run game coordinator that year 

51 minutes ago, BCJet said:

When you are ripping Bates career, have you actually spent more then 2 mins looking through what he has done, and how it translates to the jets?

I say that because you said "1 year as OC" which is true from a title perspective.  But if you actually wanted to see what an offense that he runs is capable of you should read about the 2008 Broncos.  Shanahan was the HC - who didnt call plays or install the offense each week.  Bates was the play caller and who assisted him in the install each week, Rick Dennison, who served as Oline coach and coordinated the running game.  Which just happens to be the exact setup we have here. That season the Broncos finished second in the NFL in total yards.

The NFL currently employs career failures like Brian Schottneheimer and Marty Mornenwhig, guys who we have seen first hand have no idea what they are doing.  We finally have a smart, young coach who by most accounts is good with QBs and we cant wait to rip him, even after a year where an offense that lost their top WR, had the worst center in the league and had Matt Forte playing RB was somewhat productive.  

You think that is "ripping" Bates? It is a FACT that he has 1 year as an OC. Maybe YOU should spend more than 2 minutes reviewing his career (and my post) and instead of formulating your entire overview on 2008, look at the totality of his work.

I know exactly what the setup was on the Broncos was TEN years ago, its been discussed repeatedly around here and everywhere else as the gospel for why he will be a rock start in his second stint as an actual OC and not repeat that disaster he ran in Seattle. Despite it being a different situation, different QB and different HC people here toss that year around like its the bible for turning Darnold into Manning, Brees or whoever else your having wet dreams about. His year in Seattle is more indicative of his traits as an OC despite the setup being more similar to what was in denver. He had 1 very good year when he was the QB coach and 1 horrible year with was arguably a better QB at his disposal and more control. 

Whether or not B. Schitty and Marty has a job is irrelevant since neither of them work here nor contributed to Bates success or lack thereof.

You call him a smart, young coach but you base that on what exactly? Maybe you are right....or maybe instead of just blindly following the talking heads you should use your own judgement and look at his ACTUAL accomplishments? Instead of just regurgitating what amounts to nothing more than hope, smoke and bubbles just think for a second. Stop referring to last year as if that is a relevant point, since he was in a different role last year its a different subject. He was out of football for 4 years and NOBODY was hankering for him to make a comeback. Bowles didnt go up into the mountains with the Shamas or convince him to come down from the temples and turn our offense into something worth watching. There were NO other job offers reported prior to or during our negotiations for him to be our OC. In fact if I recall correctly there was a bit of a delay in naming him the official OC despite the fact that we all knew it was coming. Bowles took what he could get, almost no-one else worth his salt was coming to work under a coach with his record who might not have a job next year.

I didnt "rip" him, I called out a few facts plain and simple. I know you have on rose colored glassed and a shiny new OC up your arse to squeal about but just take a step back. If you paid attention to the end of my post I said I hope he is successful. I think we all do after the garbage and consecutive mess masquerading as an OC around here for the last decade or so. What, that's not good enough for you? Does everyone in here have to sing the same chorus or there is a problem? 

Grow up skippy, I haven't begun to rip.  

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

What really sucks is that for the next 6 weeks or so the coaches can't even talk to Darnold.  He has to hire a private guy like Palmer to help him prep for camp.

Darnold seems like the kind of guy who would love to spend the next 6 weeks making Bates crazy with questions.  This CBA rule is goofy.  If a young guy wants to work, let him work.  The only players the rule benefits are the vets.  it makes it a lot harder for aggressive rookies to improve and take their jobs.  It's one of the main reasons it's so hard to develop a QB in the NFL right now.  

This is not a big deal in 2018.

For one, Darnold has the entire playbook and can literally script 6 weeks worth of workouts with Bates, hand them to Palmer and have palmer run him through his drills.  Then he can work on the playbook as much as he can alone, and god willing, he and McCown can get 10+ days to sit together and go over the playbook, audibles, etc together since Mccown isnt a coach.

The next 6 weeks should be about terminology and mechanics so that he is ready to roll for TC.  Yes it would be nice to do it with Bates, but Palmer is fine.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Look up the 2008 Broncos, he called the plays and Dennison was his run game coordinator that year 

No I knew that....but being the OC is more than just calling the plays. This guy is going to have a lot more responsibility and I hope he does well. Just saying...he isnt like some sooth sayer yet

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is not a big deal in 2018.

For one, Darnold has the entire playbook and can literally script 6 weeks worth of workouts with Bates, hand them to Palmer and have palmer run him through his drills.  Then he can work on the playbook as much as he can alone, and god willing, he and McCown can get 10+ days to sit together and go over the playbook, audibles, etc together since Mccown isnt a coach.

The next 6 weeks should be about terminology and mechanics so that he is ready to roll for TC.  Yes it would be nice to do it with Bates, but Palmer is fine.

I would love for this to happen and hope that is part of the plan especially with McCown working with him over next few weeks. I know the rules are strict for the offseason but hopefully Uncle Josh is earning his $10 million during the off-season and working with Darnold. That would be incredible and genius which is why it’s probably not happening unfortunately. 

Just my opinion, but I don't care if Sam is ready by week 1, I start Teddy, and let Sam stand next to McCown, while getting all the advise he can give as the defacto QB coach. Once the O-Line gels, if it does, then I think about putting Sam in there. No sense getting the kid killed if the O-Line can't do it's job. Put together a 2019 Draft and FA plan to make the O-Line one of the elite groups on the team. Without that there is no offense, no matter how creative Sam is... 

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

And what in the hell does he gain from those 4 weeks? Nothing in my view

Exactly. Sitting on the sidelines with a clipboard in hand does nothing to further Darnold's development.  If he's deemed ready to play week 1, he should start week 1.  Experience is the best teacher in the NFL, not watching games from the sidelines. 

5 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

You think that is "ripping" Bates? It is a FACT that he has 1 year as an OC. Maybe YOU should spend more than 2 minutes reviewing his career (and my post) and instead of formulating your entire overview on 2008, look at the totality of his work.

I know exactly what the setup was on the Broncos was TEN years ago, its been discussed repeatedly around here and everywhere else as the gospel for why he will be a rock start in his second stint as an actual OC and not repeat that disaster he ran in Seattle. Despite it being a different situation, different QB and different HC people here toss that year around like its the bible for turning Darnold into Manning, Brees or whoever else your having wet dreams about. His year in Seattle is more indicative of his traits as an OC despite the setup being more similar to what was in denver. He had 1 very good year when he was the QB coach and 1 horrible year with was arguably a better QB at his disposal and more control. 

Whether or not B. Schitty and Marty has a job is irrelevant since neither of them work here nor contributed to Bates success or lack thereof.

You call him a smart, young coach but you base that on what exactly? Maybe you are right....or maybe instead of just blindly following the talking heads you should use your own judgement and look at his ACTUAL accomplishments? Instead of just regurgitating what amounts to nothing more than hope, smoke and bubbles just think for a second. Stop referring to last year as if that is a relevant point, since he was in a different role last year its a different subject. He was out of football for 4 years and NOBODY was hankering for him to make a comeback. Bowles didnt go up into the mountains with the Shamas or convince him to come down from the temples and turn our offense into something worth watching. There were NO other job offers reported prior to or during our negotiations for him to be our OC. In fact if I recall correctly there was a bit of a delay in naming him the official OC despite the fact that we all knew it was coming. Bowles took what he could get, almost no-one else worth his salt was coming to work under a coach with his record who might not have a job next year.

I didnt "rip" him, I called out a few facts plain and simple. I know you have on rose colored glassed and a shiny new OC up your arse to squeal about but just take a step back. If you paid attention to the end of my post I said I hope he is successful. I think we all do after the garbage and consecutive mess masquerading as an OC around here for the last decade or so. What, that's not good enough for you? Does everyone in here have to sing the same chorus or there is a problem? 

Grow up skippy, I haven't begun to rip.  

"There is NOTHING about this guys past as an OC that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired " 

I must have mistaken the above quote as a rip there Skippy. I also wasnt aware that you knew whether he was offered jobs or not for the 4 years he was out of football?

Anyway, how exactly is 2010 more indicative of his traits then 2008?  In 2010 their Offensive Line coach Alex Gibbs, another zone-scheme running orientated coach quit after Training camp and they had a rash of injuries that crushed their offensive line leading them to be ranked second to last in rushing - how do you think an offense will do when teams know you cant run?  How did the seahawks do the year after he left, since he was clearly the problem.  Oh right, they finished 28th in offense, must have been Bates fault.

The point that gets lost on you is that my mention of Schottenheimer and Marty is because we KNOW what we will get with them - a bad offense, which they have proven over their careers.  We dont know what Bates will give us because the sample size is smaller, but what we do KNOW is that he has had past success with Dennison, and helped coordinate an offense well enough here in 2017 that his  boss was fired and he was promoted.

I know you want him to be successful, everyone here does, but you emphatically said he will get Bowles fired which is a statement that has no basis

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That is exactly right. Yet Todd Bowles fired the OC for over achieving with his unit, why Bowles once again under achieved with his. Bowles wants to take us back to the dark ages and run the ball, pass conservatively. Why Morton was fired. 

I think he was fired because the Jets believe in Bates. At least that was part of the reason

17 minutes ago, BCJet said:

"There is NOTHING about this guys past as an OC that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired " 

I must have mistaken the above quote as a rip there Skippy. I also wasnt aware that you knew whether he was offered jobs or not for the 4 years he was out of football?

Anyway, how exactly is 2010 more indicative of his traits then 2008?  In 2010 their Offensive Line coach Alex Gibbs, another zone-scheme running orientated coach quit after Training camp and they had a rash of injuries that crushed their offensive line leading them to be ranked second to last in rushing - how do you think an offense will do when teams know you cant run?  How did the seahawks do the year after he left, since he was clearly the problem.  Oh right, they finished 28th in offense, must have been Bates fault.

The point that gets lost on you is that my mention of Schottenheimer and Marty is because we KNOW what we will get with them - a bad offense, which they have proven over their careers.  We dont know what Bates will give us because the sample size is smaller, but what we do KNOW is that he has had past success with Dennison, and helped coordinate an offense well enough here in 2017 that his  boss was fired and he was promoted.

I know you want him to be successful, everyone here does, but you emphatically said he will get Bowles fired which is a statement that has no basis

Reading is fundamental....I said there is nothing that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired. I didnt say..."This guy is going to get Bowles fired" See the difference? I spoke to his resume and qualifications. 

I said there there were no "reported" job offers. I actually specifically put that word in there to bait you because I knew you would say how do I know he had no job offers. lol Funny stuff

2010 is more indicative that 2008 because he was the actually OC not just a QB coach calling plays. The OC has a lot more responsibility and now he has both roles. Under Bowles he will have more control that he had under Shanahan similar to what he has under Carroll. That's why it is more indicative. You are using a year he was not  there as some kind of reflection on the job he did? well in that case lets just pull any random numbers to make a point. I can speak to why his star running back had one of the worst years of his career under bates or how his QB has one of the worst years of his career under the OC you love so much too. Fun game. 

Again, randomly naming 2 other OC's has zero relevance on the job ours will do. You are right we do not know what Bates will give us an OC which is entirely my point from the beginning. His boss wasnt fired because HE was an upcoming star, his boss was fired for other things. He was promoted and there were no other candidates even reportedly (haha) interviewed. He didnt "win" the job, it was given to him by default. 

and you werent mistaken, that line isnt a rip son. ....not even close.

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Reading is fundamental....I said there is nothing that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired. I didnt say..."This guy is going to get Bowles fired" See the difference? I spoke to his resume and qualifications. 

I said there there were no "reported" job offers. I actually specifically put that word in there to bait you because I knew you would say how do I know he had no job offers. lol Funny stuff

2010 is more indicative that 2008 because he was the actually OC not just a QB coach calling plays. The OC has a lot more responsibility and now he has both roles. Under Bowles he will have more control that he had under Shanahan similar to what he has under Carroll. That's why it is more indicative. You are using a year he was not  there as some kind of reflection on the job he did? well in that case lets just pull any random numbers to make a point. I can speak to why his star running back had one of the worst years of his career under bates or how his QB has one of the worst years of his career under the OC you love so much too. Fun game. 

Again, randomly naming 2 other OC's has zero relevance on the job ours will do. You are right we do not know what Bates will give us an OC which is entirely my point from the beginning. His boss wasnt fired because HE was an upcoming star, his boss was fired for other things. He was promoted and there were no other candidates even reportedly (haha) interviewed. He didnt "win" the job, it was given to him by default. 

Hahahaha word play - super funny stuff, what a writer you are.

So in Denver he and Dennison shared the 3 titles of OC, QB coach and Oline coach with Dennison as the OC, Bates called the plays and installed the passing game plan and Dennison installed the running game and ran the Oline.

With the Jets he and Dennison will share the 3 titles of OC, QB coach and Oline coach, Bates will call plays and install the passing game plan  and has Dennison who will install the running game and run the Oline. 

Yea - i think Seattle seems like a better comparison......

22 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

and you werent mistaken, that line isnt a rip son. ....not even close.

haha

33 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Exactly. Sitting on the sidelines with a clipboard in hand does nothing to further Darnold's development.  If he's deemed ready to play week 1, he should start week 1.  Experience is the best teacher in the NFL, not watching games from the sidelines. 

The only reason not to start him I can think of is 1) let the oline work out their kinks with a new center and 2) avoid putting your rookie QB out there in two primetime games on the road. 

If he struggles in those primetime games, media will pile on quickly. Then again, that's pulling a Sanchez and babying the QB. 

A good QB will get through those struggles, babying them and trying to think of the perfect plan won't change anything.

Archived