Spam Redirects

Anyone else getting randomly redirected while on this site?

Only happens here and is happening roughly 25% of the time.  

Click on a thread, read a couple posts, and then redirect to...

Screenshot_20180613-222942_Chrome.jpg

Can't back out either.  Need to close the window and try again.

Android, Chrome, Samsung S8.

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Moving this to the feedback forum. What is this happening on, what kind of device and browser? I will notify the ad network now.

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem.  Thanks for looking into it.

Samsung Galaxy S8.  Using Chrome.

Just ran a Malwarebytes scan, and all clean.  Only happens here.

I get random redirects to this...

Screenshot_20180613-222942_Chrome.jpg

No way to back out of it.  Need to close the tab, revisit JetNation and just hope it doesn't happen again.

Almost seems like it's a script on a delayed/random timer.  Cause it let's you hang for a while before redirecting you.

If it keeps up, I'll dig through the scripts and try to find the culprit when I get the time.

Thanks Mike. I haven't seen any problems, but I just sent them this thread. They probably won't respond until the morning but if they don't fix it I will shut all the ads down until it gets resolved. 

Not to mention the inevitable performance slow down that accompanies it.  I hope there is a way to shut off the sound for these things because I won;t be around near as much if I get some LOUD blaring annoying add starting up every 2 minutes.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:31 PM, Beerfish said:

Not to mention the inevitable performance slow down that accompanies it.  I hope there is a way to shut off the sound for these things because I won;t be around near as much if I get some LOUD blaring annoying add starting up every 2 minutes.

How many times did it happen?

I am sorry for the slow response, I am away in North Carolina but I have been on the site, on my phone, regularly and I haven't seen this happen since Thursday.

Here is what they sent me after I opened the ticket about the redirects. They also tell me autoplay ads aren't acceptable so they zap them as soon as they see them happen.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Malvertising is an industry-wide problem that has been plaguing publishers for the last year or so (a great informative piece about malvertising can be found here: https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/). The root of the problem is that the networks we work with aren’t doing a sufficient job of vetting their advertisers for spam before they let them through. We are not a network, but an ad management service. We have our own ad tech that we run in partnership with our network connections. Unfortunately, we have no way to get the networks to better police their own inventory, as we only run their ads and are not a network ourselves. Even Google, considered the most reliable and prestigious of all our network partners, allows malvertising to slip through on occasion. 

That being said, we have the strongest security software available in place that catches about 98% of all redirects and malvertising before they’re served. We’re currently paying 3 different third-party security teams to monitor all of our impressions. Since we implemented this software, we’ve had much less instances of malvertising, but some malicious ads do still get through. Some sites are more effected by redirects than others, and the reason for this is still unclear. It is known, however, that the malicious ads target lower-quality devices, so they’re much more likely to occur on a mobile device than they are on a desktop or laptop. 

To us, blocking all malvertising is a huge priority, and for the most part, we’ve made huge strides in doing so. However, I can’t tell you that we have the ability to block 100% of malvertising that comes in from our network partners. We’re constantly working with our security software providers to make sure that 100% of malvertising is blocked, but we definitely aren’t there yet. 

Apologies for any trouble this may have caused you! Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:05 AM, freestater said:

Spoke too soon. Just happened again 

We are getting hit with a hack with is injecting malicious code. We clean it up right after we see it, but they have gotten in twice in the past two weeks. So we will keep watching it and thanks for the patience.

The site was terribly slow earlier this afternoon. Only message I got was that my computer (desktop) " contains a dangerous virus, call us immediately !  DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER. etc. Using Firefox. Of course the 1st thing I did was reboot. Site is fine now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, freestater said:

Just started getting this again...

Screenshot_20180705-095338.png

I will take a look. Thinking about just removing all mobile ads and see how that works. They money they bring in helps but it just isn't worth the headache. Also trying to get back on Google Adsense. Their ads would be high quality.

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

I will take a look. Thinking about just removing all mobile ads and see how that works. They money they bring in helps but it just isn't worth the headache. Also trying to get back on Google Adsense. Their ads would be high quality.

Thanks, max. Appreciate all you do around here

Archived