Dante Fowler in a Contract Year - Operation Complete the Defense 2019

David Harris

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937243/article/with-option-declined-jags-fowler-aims-to-prove-worth

With option declined, Jags' Fowler aims to prove worth

Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler produced a career-high eight sacks in 2017, a total that ranked third on the team. 

Still, the Jaguars declined to exercise its fifth-year option on Fowler, who entered the league as the third-overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft

Had the Jaguars used the option on the defensive end in 2018, Fowler would have earned a base salary of $14.2 million. 

Instead, Fowler enters the final year of his rookie contract on a base salary of $3.6 million with a goal to prove himself worthy of a large payday. 

"I know how good of a player I am," Fowler said, via John Reid of the Florida Times-Union. "I know I'm one of the best players in this league. When I go out there, I'm going to make the best of my opportunities every time. I'm working hard to have the best season of my career."

Fowler's rookie season was wrecked by an ACL injury suffered during the offseason workout program. When he returned in 2016, Fowler became a part of the defensive rotation and has appeared in 32 games with one start over the past two seasons, totaling 53 tackles (41 solo) and 12 sacks in that span. 

While the production doesn't match his lofty draft status, the Jaguars continue to believe there is plenty of untapped potential in Fowler, who turns 24 on Aug. 3. 

"He is making good practice and we like how he practices and how he plays, as he did in the AFC Championship game," Jaguars executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin saidin a statement on May 2, "and we want him to have a great season and earn a long-term contract with us this year."

With motivation to prove himself, Fowler could very well set himself up for lucrative deal with Jacksonville before he hits the open market. 

But as Around the NFL's Kevin Patra pointed out, Fowler's youth and depth of potential free-agent defensive ends in 2018 could place him on the higher end of contracts, provided he turns in a productive campaign in the regular season.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, KRL said:

The Jets will attack the OLB spot next year like they attacked the QB spot
this year.  They'll sign either Fowler or Shane Ray in free agency and then
draft one

As they are they FINALLY address the OL first and foremost. Now that we have a franchise qb, D has take a backseat for once.

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

As they are they FINALLY address the OL first and foremost. Now that we have a franchise qb, D has take a backseat for once.

They will unlikely know what they will be able to draft when FA starts.  They will need to fill OL and EDGE in FA.  It will be expensive.  

The Jaguars drafted too well.  Doubtful they can afford Fowler.  

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You don’t think either player is better than what we have? Plus I think Offensive Line is by far the more important position right now.

This is why I don’t mind overpaying for O-line. Draft tackles and use FA for interior lineman o-line with experience that are known commodities since college is ruining o-line play. Just my opinion of course. 

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They are better, but not at the cost they are going to want.  Im not going to pay an 8 sack guy like a 16 sack guy.

He got his option declined, has been hurt and hasn’t played up to par with his #3 overall draft status...you think he’s going to ask for “16 sack guy” type money?

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He got his option declined, has been hurt and hasn’t played up to par with his #3 overall draft status...you think he’s going to ask for “16 sack guy” type money?

Yes.  Someone is going ot overpay for his name and draft position.  Just like you want him here because of his name and draft position.  You definately dont want him here for anything hes done on the field.

Fowler is an ok player, but carries an enormous risk as someone with both off the field and on the field issues.  Giving him $30 million guaranteed is a scary proposition.

The best case scenario for us is that Beachum plays well in this scheme, which fits him well, and Darnold's mobility minimized the position enough and allows to sign him to an extension with Garcia as a developing backup.  That will allow us to take one of the true edge rushers in this class that have 10+ sack potential and also pay for a good guard to replace carpenter and improve the line as a whole.

With respect to free agency in general though, the safest route for this team is going to be to resign some of the young playmakers IF they continue to develop and/or stay healthy.  Leo (a definite), Enunwa, Robby, and Kearse in particular all have the potential to be resigned and 2 of them paired with Hansen gives the WR corps talent and continuity which allows us to spend on other positions.  I simply dont think LT is going to be one of them as there are no players to pay (Lewan will not get out of tennessee).

That being said if we want to pay Fowler and draft Jonah Williams, things could be worse.

43 minutes ago, KRL said:

The Jets will attack the OLB spot next year like they attacked the QB spot
this year.  They'll sign either Fowler or Shane Ray in free agency and then
draft one

I'll take both.

Seriously. 

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Well you dont replace crap with higher priced crap.

Use the draft to find a guy.

pfff - Hi, my names reality. Meet my friend history. He likes to point how difficult it is to things like - "just draft one"... 

Next year - $$$ - Pass Rushers in FA. who gives a sh*t if we're overpaying them. Newflash, every FA gets overpaid. If they were worth the dough, they wouldn't be FA. 

*Kicks mic into stands*

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

pfff - Hi, my names reality. Meet my friend history. He likes to point how difficult it is to things like - "just draft one"... 

Next year - $$$ - Pass Rushers in FA. who gives a sh*t if we're overpaying them. Newflash, every FA gets overpaid. If they were worth the dough, they wouldn't be FA. 

*Kicks mic into stands*

We draft 3-4 defensive lineman, safeties and corners at the top of the draft.  We dont spend premium picks on that position(outside of Gholston 10 years ago).  Its real difficult when you dont even attempt to do it.

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We draft 3-4 defensive lineman, safeties and corners at the top of the draft.  We dont spend premium picks on that position(outside of Gholston 10 years ago).  Its real difficult when you dont even attempt to do it.

exactly. You're only reinforcing my point. They haven't demonstrated a propensity for the position in the draft - at all. 

We have soooooo much money next year. Why in god's name would not address the position? Doesn't stop you from drafting one if the right guy is there... all you're doing is covering you bases and improving your chances. 

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes.  Someone is going ot overpay for his name and draft position.  Just like you want him here because of his name and draft position.  You definately dont want him here for anything hes done on the field.

Wrong. I want him here because he played decently through out the year and more importantly he played well in the AFC Championship game. He just hasn’t consistently played up to his #3 overall pick. 

I also would like him here because we currently have an alcoholic, Mauldin and a handful of free agents at the position. Any better options on the team currently? I don’t think so.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They can fill the OLB spot if one comes free in FA and then in the draft take best available OL at 32. Easy. 

The Jets just spent a sh*tload on an above average corner who produces turnovers, and that’s perfectly fine. You’re allowed to get gouged for LT, CB1, Edge rushers, and the occasional quarterback. It’s not ok to get piped for a guard or a RB, or even a WR. If the Jets want to give $30 mil guaranteed to Fowler next year, more power to them. 

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Agree on the OL.  We should also try to get Darnold some weapons.  Remember how the Colts (in addition to OL) got Peyton guys like Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark.   They just kept loading up.  

exactly. You're only reinforcing my point. They haven't demonstrated a propensity for the position in the draft - at all. 
We have soooooo much money next year. Why in god's name would not address the position? Doesn't stop you from drafting one if the right guy is there... all you're doing is covering you bases and improving your chances. 
What? Potentially have two edge rushers on the team at the same time? Are you crazy??

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They are better, but not at the cost they are going to want.  Im not going to pay an 8 sack guy like a 16 sack guy.

I agree

It's the nature of FA to overpay for second tier talent at first tier prices   See Kirk Cousins

I'd prefer to over pay for top talent if we have the money

Or fill holes and add depth, then draft the best talent that makes sense

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I agree

It's the nature of FA to overpay for second tier talent at first tier prices   See Kirk Cousins

I'd prefer to over pay for top talent if we have the money

Or fill holes and add depth, then draft the best talent that makes sense

Problem is Top tier pass rushers simply never hit the FA market.  Last one that did was Mario Williams 6 years ago 

I’m not a Fowler fan and I never was.  However, he is better than the crapola buffet we currently have at OLB and we’ll have 70 million in cap room

Archived