Hackenberg visiting the Pats

Barkus

Christian Hackenberg visiting the Patriots

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 14, 2018, 3:43 PM EDT
gettyimages-900087948-e1529005390795.jpg
Getty Images

Christian Hackenberg was a draft bust with the Jets, but could he have a future with the Patriots?

Hackenberg, who cleared waivers yesterday after the Raiders cut him, was at the Patriots’ facility today, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

A quarterback who showed promise early in his college career at Penn State, Hackenberg was a surprising second-round pick of the Jets last year who never got on the field in two years with the team. He lasted just three weeks with the Raiders.

But Patriots coach Bill Belichick apparently sees enough in Hackenberg that he’d like to take a look. With Tom Brady about to turn 41, the Patriots wouldn’t mind having a young quarterback they could develop. This year’s seventh-round pick, Danny Etling, may be that young quarterback, but perhaps Hackenberg will get an opportunity to compete in training camp as well.

And every Jets fan has to be just a little bit fearful that Hackenberg will become the heir apparent to Tom Brady, and will torment the Jets for years to come.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Jet fan that is fearful of this... is a f*cking idiot.  And Michael David Smith is a f*cking idiot for even writing that sentence.

Hackenberg couldn't accurately throw a penny into a koi pond at the local Chinese restaurant.

In all seriousness I hope Hackenberg finds somewhere to land, he seemed like a well
spoken young man.  And it must be terrifying to think your NFL life could be over 
before it even began

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Any Jet fan that is fearful of this... is a f*cking idiot.  And Michael David Smith is a f*cking idiot for even writing that sentence.

Hackenberg couldn't accurately throw a penny into a koi pond at the local Chinese restaurant.

I'm going to assume he COULD throw a penny into Tom Brady's gaping anus. Being that it's generally more stretched out than a koi pond. Not sure if that helps him get signed in N.E. though. 

29 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Surprised the texans weren't the first team he would visit. Considering the Bill O' Brien connection and Watson's injury.

Bill O'Brien is the last person who wants Hackenberg.  He knows more than anyone how much the kid sucks. 

33 minutes ago, KRL said:

In all seriousness I hope Hackenberg finds somewhere to land, he seemed like a well
spoken young man.  And it must be terrifying to think your NFL life could be over 
before it even began

Im sure its disappointing, but I think its a lot more terrifying to be 24, making $50K a year and realizing  you might have 40 more years working in a cubicle.

Hack has $2+ million in the bank, and enough of a pedigree (along with the knowledge) to coach the game in some capacity for the rest of his life.  It could be worse.

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

So let's recap, BB is talking to a player for free to gain intel on playbooks for division rival Jets and a potential playoff team Raiders - if hack has a good memory BB will sign him for nothing download the signals and cut the hack after camp

All to beat the Jets 2 times a year?  They been doing a fine job without signing anyone. 

38 minutes ago, KRL said:

before it even began

In all seriousness, he had no business having an NFL life to begin with.  What I find terrifying is that the Jets GM, who has done a fairly respectable job all things considered, burned a 2nd round pick on him.

Raiders' Jon Gruden blames NFL for QB Christian Hackenberg's struggles

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Christian Hackenberg's release from the Oakland Raidersjust three weeks after the team acquired him was more an indictment of the NFL system than it was of the third-year quarterback, coach Jon Gruden said Thursday.

"Everybody is an expert out there on Hackenberg and thinks he can't play," Gruden said as the Raiders wrapped up a three-day mandatory minicamp. "It's unfortunate, this whole collective [bargaining agreement]. How do you develop a quarterback? I don't know how you do it."

Raiders coach Jon Gruden would like the NFL to allow teams more time to develop young quarterbacks. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports

The 2011 labor agreement brought reductions to the frequency and intensity of offseason practices. Gruden, five months into his second stint as the Raiders' head coach after nine seasons away from coaching, has been a frequent critic of the work restrictions.

"[Hackenberg] has been working on changing his stroke, his passing motion, and I think he did that," Gruden said. "We just didn't have enough reps to take a good look at him. Since we were further along the road with some of our other guys, we didn't have the space."

The Raiders had acquired Hackenberg from the New York Jets last month for a conditional 2019 seventh-round draft choice. They released him to help make room on the roster for newly signed defensive linemen Frostee Rucker and Ahtyba Rubin. They needed help on their defensive line more than they needed -- or could use -- a fourth quarterback behind Derek Carr, Connor Cook and E.J. Manuel.

"It is hard enough to get Connor Cook enough reps, let alone a fourth guy," Gruden said. "It really depresses me how we can't spend more time with these young quarterbacks, and it is really going to be an impactful situation on the NFL in the future."

Hackenberg, a 2016 second-round choice of the Jets who has yet to attempt a pass in a regular-season game. was in Foxboro on Thursday visiting with the New England Patriots, league sources told ESPN's Field Yates.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23794117/oakland-raiders-coach-jon-gruden-blames-nfl-qb-christian-hackenberg-struggles

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not a hack hater but the way he was cut suggests that whatever the naysayers were saying are true.  let's hope he does take a roster spot on the patsies.  maybe adams will get his first pick.

Jets couldn't wait any longer...Gruden isn't wrong. CBA is killing the ability to develop players, especially QBs. However, it doesn't mean Hack will ever develop. NE is the spot for him to sit a year or two. The league Bill Polian is involved with (American Alliance of Football) that starts next winter/spring would be a good place for Hack too. 

"It is hard enough to get Connor Cook enough reps, let alone a fourth guy," Gruden said. "It really depresses me how we can't spend more time with these young quarterbacks, and it is really going to be an impactful situation on the NFL in the future."

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Jets couldn't wait any longer...Gruden isn't wrong. CBA is killing the ability to develop players, especially QBs. However, it doesn't mean Hack will ever develop. NE is the spot for him to sit a year or two. The league Bill Polian is involved with (American Alliance of Football) that starts next winter/spring would be a good place for Hack too. 

maybe that's part of it but at the same time you would think there are other training alternatives besides team sponsored activities that can be used to develop these guys.  hack allegedly spent some time improving his throwing mechanics.  was it a waste?  at some point it'll be clear one way or another.  a lot of guys made it by doing the dirty work on specials.  i think even theisman was on specials.  maybe gannon and these guys turned out to be pretty good.  hack has been training for this chance his whole life.  he must have known it's going to take him willing to chew nails to get a shot. 

16 minutes ago, freestater said:

Most honest thing I've ever heard him say 

Yes and the ludicrous CBA is why Darnold needs to start from Day 1. It is really the only way to develop as a QB now, outside of maybe playing behind a HOF QB like a Brady.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Im sure its disappointing, but I think its a lot more terrifying to be 24, making $50K a year and realizing  you might have 40 more years working in a cubicle.

Hack has $2+ million in the bank, and enough of a pedigree (along with the knowledge) to coach the game in some capacity for the rest of his life.  It could be worse.

The worst NFL Bust has it materially better than the very very best of us normal workaday sclubs.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I called it check the Raiders release Hackenberg thread....

I called it before you called it.  I think in the same thread.  In fact, I think I called it months ago as well.

5/22/2018

12/17/2017

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Raiders' Jon Gruden blames NFL for QB Christian Hackenberg's struggles

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Christian Hackenberg's release from the Oakland Raidersjust three weeks after the team acquired him was more an indictment of the NFL system than it was of the third-year quarterback, coach Jon Gruden said Thursday.

"Everybody is an expert out there on Hackenberg and thinks he can't play," Gruden said as the Raiders wrapped up a three-day mandatory minicamp. "It's unfortunate, this whole collective [bargaining agreement]. How do you develop a quarterback? I don't know how you do it."

Raiders coach Jon Gruden would like the NFL to allow teams more time to develop young quarterbacks. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports

The 2011 labor agreement brought reductions to the frequency and intensity of offseason practices. Gruden, five months into his second stint as the Raiders' head coach after nine seasons away from coaching, has been a frequent critic of the work restrictions.

"[Hackenberg] has been working on changing his stroke, his passing motion, and I think he did that," Gruden said. "We just didn't have enough reps to take a good look at him. Since we were further along the road with some of our other guys, we didn't have the space."

The Raiders had acquired Hackenberg from the New York Jets last month for a conditional 2019 seventh-round draft choice. They released him to help make room on the roster for newly signed defensive linemen Frostee Rucker and Ahtyba Rubin. They needed help on their defensive line more than they needed -- or could use -- a fourth quarterback behind Derek Carr, Connor Cook and E.J. Manuel.

Hackenberg, a 2016 second-round choice of the Jets who has yet to attempt a pass in a regular-season game. was in Foxboro on Thursday visiting with the New England Patriots, league sources told ESPN's Field Yates.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23794117/oakland-raiders-coach-jon-gruden-blames-nfl-qb-christian-hackenberg-struggles

Gruden's right, the league lacks QB's but they don't give enough time to teams

to develop them

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

All to beat the Jets 2 times a year?  They been doing a fine job without signing anyone. 

They sign ex-fins, bills, and Jets scrubs all of the time, sometimes right before the game, this is not new or news, cheap intel and I would not underestimate the hate that man has for this team...

hack was a bad QB in the BIG10, not sure how anyone thinks he can improve in the NFL, terrible draft pick

Archived