Hackenberg visiting the Pats

Barkus

49 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

They sign ex-fins, bills, and Jets scrubs all of the time, sometimes right before the game, this is not new or news, cheap intel and I would not underestimate the hate that man has for this team...

hack was a bad QB in the BIG10, not sure how anyone thinks he can improve in the NFL, terrible draft pick

Maybe with the right coaches and TB tutoring him you never know a better chance than being here where we havent had a good track record with QB's. 

Sam Darnold was a phenom before he was drafted here so he saves us. 

I have no ill will towards any professional athlete especially young kids. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KRL said:

Gruden's right, the league lacks QB's but they don't give enough time to teams

to develop them

Agree, that last CBA really hurt the game and the NFL's ability to develop players, they need practice repetition to improve, I know they wanted to reduce injuries in camp but the lack of conditioning is causing just as many injuries -  the vets hated the pre-season and voted much of it out, maybe increase the practice squad and let them practice more often

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Maybe with the right coaches and TB tutoring him you never know a better chance than being here where we havent had a good track record with QB's. 

Why, because Hacks taps his helmet the same way Brady does during the snap that he is on par with Brady?

6 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I'm going to assume he COULD throw a penny into Tom Brady's gaping anus. Being that it's generally more stretched out than a koi pond. Not sure if that helps him get signed in N.E. though. 

Dude I was at a wake and read this and burst out laughing. Everyone turned around and looked at me.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

“So kid main reason we brought you here is to brief us on the jets playbook. Whatchugot?”

Hack: “Well, the ‘triangle’ pass play to Megatron in Detroit’s playbook in the shotgun section works every time on the all-pro setting in Madden ‘15, and I kept telling Bowles that we should run it, but he wouldn’t listen!”

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Umm....when has Brady ever shown a willingness to mentor other QBs? For a guy with his standing in the both the league and especially the Pats organization, he has shown himself to be extremely insecure. 

11 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree, that last CBA really hurt the game and the NFL's ability to develop players, they need practice repetition to improve, I know they wanted to reduce injuries in camp but the lack of conditioning is causing just as many injuries -  the vets hated the pre-season and voted much of it out, maybe increase the practice squad and let them practice more often

I also think the NFL over-complicates things for these kids.

The NFL should simplify the reads for these kids and let them grow into their role.  Matt Ryan had a great quote about his MVP season saying how that was the first time he began to simply trust that his WRs would be "there" and he just threw to a spot.  That takes YEARS to get to (side note Darnold does that now which is crazy) for most players and in the meantime you can run a simplified offense like McVay is running for Goff which puts your QB and team in position to succeed.

No rookie QB should be handed that ridiculous playbook that Marty Morenwhig had when he was here, asking them to run 15 variations of 100 different plays, its just not smart.

16 hours ago, KRL said:

In all seriousness I hope Hackenberg finds somewhere to land, he seemed like a well
spoken young man.  And it must be terrifying to think your NFL life could be over 
before it even began

My older son is friends with someone who knew him at Penn State.  Says he was a freaking a-hole there and wasn't liked.  Came on to some girl in a bar off campus who didn't know who he was and rejecting his advances and saying 'who do you think you are anyway' and he told her in fromt of everyone "just Google me bitch".

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

Jets couldn't wait any longer...Gruden isn't wrong. CBA is killing the ability to develop players, especially QBs. However, it doesn't mean Hack will ever develop. NE is the spot for him to sit a year or two. The league Bill Polian is involved with (American Alliance of Football) that starts next winter/spring would be a good place for Hack too. 

"It is hard enough to get Connor Cook enough reps, let alone a fourth guy," Gruden said. "It really depresses me how we can't spend more time with these young quarterbacks, and it is really going to be an impactful situation on the NFL in the future."

Gruden is spot on here and it doesn't just apply to developing QBs.  CBA off season restrictions are ruining the development of young players in general.  It's reducing the quality of play that we watch every Sunday, particularly in September.

BB:   Christian, we are looking forward to meeting you.  I followed you at Penn St. and am hopeful that you may have something to offer our organization.

CH:   Thank you Coach, I look forward to it.

BB:   And Christian, don't forget to bring your Jets playbook.

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude I was at a wake and read this and burst out laughing. Everyone turned around and looked at me.

Laughing out loud at a wake or funeral... can't help but think of Chuckles the Clown's funeral...  Laugh for Chuckles... Laugh for Hackenberg...

15 minutes ago, tfine said:

B.B. is not really a great talent evaluator. He basically throws sh*t against the wall and see if it sticks.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Every talent evaluator seems to do the same. Ozzie Newsome drafted about 10 QBs prior to Joe Flacco. This isn’t an exact science. Drafting is like playing the stock market with all new companies without any real track record.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How did Jimmy G get so good? He was drafted in the 2nd round just like Chrisitian Hackenberg. 

Because some players are good at football, while others are not. If Sam Darnold turns out to be a good player, it won't be because Josh McCown mentored him. 

If Brady is such a great guy, why did he force the Pats to trade Garoppolo for pennies on the dollar?

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Because some players are good at football, while others are not. If Sam Darnold turns out to be a good player, it won't be because Josh McCown mentored him. 

If Brady is such a great guy, why did he force the Pats to trade Garoppolo for pennies on the dollar?

I never said TB was a great guy, but Jimmy G definitely learned a few things from TB. 

On 6/14/2018 at 3:58 PM, Barkus said:

Surprised the texans weren't the first team he would visit. Considering the Bill O' Brien connection and Watson's injury.

Why he had the chance to take him. O’Brien had Texans to trade up right in front of the jets, not to pick hackenberg but a Olineman. He should have know mac was never going to be An Olineman in the second round, ever

9 hours ago, tfine said:

B.B. is not really a great talent evaluator. He basically throws sh*t against the wall and see if it sticks.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

He’s not.  His drafts have been mediocre.  Before Jimmy G he struck out on Cassel, Mallett and Hoyer badly.  Brady just makes him look amazing take away Brady and Belichick has Al Groh’s Head Coach career 

On 6/14/2018 at 6:30 PM, KRL said:

Gruden's right, the league lacks QB's but they don't give enough time to teams

to develop them

2 full years plus a partial off season. I think that’s sufficient time. Gruden is full of sh*t. He opted to go a different route. Jets have carried 4 QBs during a season and that lying sh!tbag couldn’t carry 4 in the off season? I think the verdict is out on Hack but he just wanted to be polite instead of saying Hacks stunk it up with no end in sight. 

On 6/14/2018 at 3:59 PM, KRL said:

In all seriousness I hope Hackenberg finds somewhere to land, he seemed like a well
spoken young man.  And it must be terrifying to think your NFL life could be over 
before it even began

There’s always the arena football league or the CFL. There’s 3 oceans ? in Canada so it might increase his accuracy. 

11 hours ago, j4jets said:

2 full years plus a partial off season. I think that’s sufficient time. Gruden is full of sh*t. He opted to go a different route. Jets have carried 4 QBs during a season and that lying sh!tbag couldn’t carry 4 in the off season? I think the verdict is out on Hack but he just wanted to be polite instead of saying Hacks stunk it up with no end in sight. 

I think that’s more likely the case. If the Jets had the slightest bit of confidence he could play they would have put him in last year. Petty was ahead of him and look at his performance last year. That’s why he never got a single snap in the NFL and barring a miracle, he never will. I really wanted the kid to work out but it wasn’t the case

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He’s not.  His drafts have been mediocre.  Before Jimmy G he struck out on Cassel, Mallett and Hoyer badly.  Brady just makes him look amazing take away Brady and Belichick has Al Groh’s Head Coach career 

Most of the articles I have read put him at like 5th or 6th in the league in drafting, given their frequently low draft positions.  Not the best, but not bad either

Also, Cassel, Mallet and Hoyer are not busts for the Pats.  They all either produced draft pick compensation in trades or alternatively were signed to good FA deals, which gave them compensatory picks (often refunding the value). 

That's why drafting 'merely' a good backup qb is rarely a bad thing in this league.  It often provides more compensation than you would normally get.  Of course, you don't want someone like Hack or Petty either (who provided identically zero compensation)

On 6/16/2018 at 10:57 AM, Hael said:

Most of the articles I have read put him at like 5th or 6th in the league in drafting, given their frequently low draft positions.  Not the best, but not bad either

Also, Cassel, Mallet and Hoyer are not busts for the Pats.  They all either produced draft pick compensation in trades or alternatively were signed to good FA deals, which gave them compensatory picks (often refunding the value). 

That's why drafting 'merely' a good backup qb is rarely a bad thing in this league.  It often provides more compensation than you would normally get.  Of course, you don't want someone like Hack or Petty either (who provided identically zero compensation)

The pats don’t strike out every year drafting average safeties like we do but they aren’t reloading with hall of famers in every round like the media makes it out to be

Archived