That buzz you hear is all about Darnold

jetrider

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I know some fans wanna approach this with caution but F it. I'm going all in. Darnold is our guy. This is it. 

If he fails, i'm blame coaching first. I think he's too talented and driven not to be successful. 

I have the distinct impression that he succeeded at USC despite some mediocre coaching, a mediocre OL (his sophomore year), and one year of experience playing QB in high school.   The sky is the limit for this guy.  

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KRL said:

SOJF must hate reading the reports about Darnold.  And to think they have come

from only SIX weeks of Darnold learning the playbook

This is a kid who was only playing the QB position for about three years when he was already being considered the top pro prospect in the country. He's demonstrated himself to be a quick study and a hard worker on top of his natural talent. It's crazy as a Jet fan, but Sam legitimately has nowhere to go but up. 

This is a player who's going to come back from "summer vacation" better than when he left mandatory camp. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

I've been thinking about what a pass the Giants have gotten for their terrible mistake.  The Jets would have been absolutely killed by the press if the roles were reversed. At best, the Giants are going to look like tools in six years when Barkley starts to lose a step and the Jets' 27 yr old QB is just entering his prime.  

It's disgusting how people have fallen all over themselves with the Barkley pick.  How
any reasonable football observer can ever put the impact of an RB on the same level as
a QB is moronic.  Think about it if Barkley stays healthy during his rookie contract
he could have at least 2000 touches/tackles on his body when he hits free agency:

20 rushes + 5 catches * 16 games = 400 touches/tackles a year
400 touches/tackles * 5 years = 2000 touches/tackles for his rookie contract

That's a lot of tread off the tire for a RB at only 26-27 years old

I've been thinking about what a pass the Giants have gotten for their terrible mistake.  The Jets would have been absolutely killed by the press if the roles were reversed. At best, the Giants are going to look like tools in six years when Barkley starts to lose a step and the Jets' 27 yr old QB is just entering his prime.  

Well the Jets would have been killed because it's obvious they have NO QB at all, and haven't had one for many years. So passing on a top prospect at QB for a RB, the outrage would have been warranted. 

At least the Giants have Eli, even though he's at the tail end of his career. They can at least play the narrative of going all in for the next 2-3 years. 

But if they don't win a championship and Eli moves on or retires, and Giants are left with no answer at QB while Darnold is successful. It'll definitely be talked about. 

I never understood the SOJF term. ANYONE that is a fan of this frustrating franchise is a TRUE fan and clearly not jumping on any bandwagons haha. The fans that are skeptical about anything or have their guard up have every right to given our recent history especially. Yes, some are more negative than others but it’s not like this team doesn’t deserve it. There have been plenty poor decisions but things have been much better as of late and being cautiously optimistic is fine at this point.

I’m personally VERY critical of this team from top to bottom but VERY excited for the future and can admit that better decisions have been made recently (which still isn’t saying much given the sh*tshow so far). We are all Jet fans whether we like it or not and just hate that term SOJF. Always annoyed me when I lurked for years before finally joining the party. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Agreed, at least Dorsey TOOK A QB. How can a GM EVER pass on a chance for a Franchise QB? Especially when yours is older like Eli. Can you imagine Giants fans watching Sam Darnold kill it for 18-20 years with the Jets while the Eagles, Rams & Vikings snuff out any hope Giants fans have in the near future, Eli retires, Barkley compiles 900 caries & gets injured. 

One of my closest friends is a Giants fan.

He texts me at 8:18pm draft night:

Don't think, just Darnold.

8:22:

Noooooo!!!!!

8:29:

I hate you

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I've posted this quote before but having Sam Darnold fall in our lap after passing on Mahomes & Watson "sometimes not getting what you want can be stroke of luck"

Sam Darnold reminds me of an Andrew Luck type with better accuracy on the move.  I think Jet fans are underestimating the skill players he'll have around him. Some very good vets in Kearse & Enunwa, a rising star in Robby Anderson (look what McCown did with Robby & imagine Darnold getting comfortable with him), Pryor if he gets healthy as a 3rd or 4th WR, and the young up & coming Hansen who showed well in OTAs. A lot of guys with different skill sets. Then you have 2 young TEs in Leggett & Herndon for Sam to grow with, Crowell is a tough SOB, who squeezes out yardage & Darnolds arm will threaten any part of the field making it impossible to play 8/9 guys in the box. 

I don't know if you can say Jets fans are underestimating the skill positions.  We look to be strong at WR, though not spectacular.  But, certainly nice to have Enunwa back and a true HR threat in Anderson.  That said, RB leaves a lot to be desired, and the offensive line is just bad.  We have 26 career receptions at the TE position today.

The draft process complicates things by way of falling in love with too many players and idolizing different outcomes...

And then you read stuff like this and go -- oh yea! We got the best QB in the draft!!... This past week was that moment for me. The awakening...

The search is over. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Noooooo!!!!!

I hate you

It's absolutely asinine & crazy to pick a RB over a franchise QB. What did Barry Sanders win? Adrien Peterson? Look at the RBs the Pats have won with, Eagles last year, LT? with Chargers, Earl Campbell? How many years does Eli have & his play has dimished recently already. Gettleman was OBSESSED with having OBJ & Barkley. But the Giants defense sucks donkey balls anyway! And their Oline blows, Solder is one back tweak from Eli getting killed running around in his cement shoes. The Eagles, Rams, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, are all better overall teams RIGHT NOW and probably over the next 2/3 years. I'm positive this ends badly for Giant fans in the near future.

36 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I never understood the SOJF term. ANYONE that is a fan of this frustrating franchise is a TRUE fan and clearly not jumping on any bandwagons haha. The fans that are skeptical about anything or have their guard up have every right to given our recent history especially. Yes, some are more negative than others but it’s not like this team doesn’t deserve it. There have been plenty poor decisions but things have been much better as of late and being cautiously optimistic is fine at this point.

I’m personally VERY critical of this team from top to bottom but VERY excited for the future and can admit that better decisions have been made recently (which still isn’t saying much given the sh*tshow so far). We are all Jet fans whether we like it or not and just hate that term SOJF. Always annoyed me when I lurked for years before finally joining the party. 

Things a SOJF might say?

Sorry but can't resist. We may be coming out of a 40 year curse and you want to complain that our team doesn't deserve optimism? 

I don't care what the team deserves. I deserve better and people that take personal offense at others hopes and dreams deserve at least a SOJF moniker. 

Cry all you want but you don't need to take out that bitterness on those who choose to keep rooting for their team to improve.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I know some fans wanna approach this with caution but F it. I'm going all in. Darnold is our guy. This is it. 

If he fails, i'm blame coaching first. I think he's too talented and driven not to be successful. 

I’m all in on Darnold. I had a few doubts about him during the draft process. But I’ve since thrown most of those out the window. 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The draft process complicates things by way of falling in love with different players and idolizing different outcomes... this is one of this instances where you read stuff like this and go - oh yea! fck... we landed the best QB in the draft, the same guy we were campaigning for all season... This past week was that moment for me. The awakening... The search is over. 

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Things a SOJF might say?

Sorry but can't resist. We may be coming out of a 40 year curse and you want to complain that our team doesn't deserve optimism? 

I don't care what the team deserves. I deserve better and people that take personal offense at others hopes and dreams deserve at least a SOJF moniker. 

Cry all you want but you don't need to take out that bitterness on those who choose to keep rooting for their team to improve.

What? I don’t think you got my point at all. I think this team does in fact deserve optimism. I was just saying that I do not like the term SOJF and that all fans have a right to their opinion. Some may be more hesitant to be optimistic and I totally get it given our past. Jumping down their throats and belittling them is ridiculous given our team’s history. I am very optimistic but don’t just drink the kool aid. It’s kind of, “show me first” at this point. Maybe I am more in the middle. 

I’m a little surprised at your hostility and reactions like that are why I was always hesitant to post on a message board. It seems people don’t have any understanding of others opinions or know how to reply in a respectful manner which is why there is so much arguing in ALL types of conversation on message boards/social media etc. It’s sad that adults can’t converse anymore. I’m sorry you took it the wrong way and completely missed the point but hostile reactions aren’t necessary if not warranted.

2 hours ago, tfine said:

I’m still pissed we took a safety over Mahomes and Watson...but I guess this is a good consolation prize...

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Based on this article, it seems like the FO decided before that (2017) draft that they would be all in for the QBs iin 2018 instead.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What? I don’t think you got my point at all. I think this team does in fact deserve optimism. I was just saying that I do not like the term SOJF and that all fans have a right to their opinion. Some may be more hesitant to be optimistic and I totally get it given our past. Jumping down their throats and belittling them is ridiculous given our team’s history. I am very optimistic but don’t just drink the kool aid. It’s kind of, “show me first” at this point. Maybe I am more in the middle. 

I’m a little surprised at your hostility and reactions like that are why I was always hesitant to post on a message board. It seems people don’t have any understanding of others opinions or know how to reply in a respectful manner which is why there is so much arguing in ALL types of conversation on message boards/social media etc. It’s sad that adults can’t converse anymore. I’m sorry you took it the wrong way and completely missed the point but hostile reactions aren’t necessary if not warranted.

I don't know you yet but I wasn't belittling you. I was belittling SOJFs. Maybe the reason why you don't like the term is because you aren't one.

SOJFs are not cautiously optimistic they are soul crushing haters of all who dare to say a good word about anyone connected to the team. 

They are akin to those that tell children there is no Santa for their own good. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I don't know you yet but I wasn't belittling you. I was belittling SOJFs. Maybe the reason why you don't like the term is because you aren't one.

SOJFs are not cautiously optimistic they are soul crushing haters of all who dare to say a good word about anyone connected to the team. 

They are akin to those that tell children there is no Santa for their own good. 

I didn’t mean me when saying belittling and sorry if posting that original comment confused things since it is off topic to a degree. There are always 2 extreme sides to an opinion and I agree with you that “soul crushing” hating etc is not something I agree with either. 

We probably both agree about Darnold and are both optimistic. I was just saying it’s not like negativity isn’t warranted with this team. They’ve sh*t the bed so many times so I get it. I am just somewhere in the middle and understand he reason for both extremes.

Sorry to vent at you and just get frustrated with internet conversations in general and the way things can be said/taken to create conflict. This is a general vent and not at you but your initial comment triggered it so sorry again. 

Either way, things are looking good and I’m very hopeful and preferred a more unified/understanding fan base since we all ultimately want the same thing (Lombardi). If anyone here does not want that for this team, they are trolling or can’t really be a fan so both worth arguing with. Again just my opinion, doesn’t mean anything. 

I have the distinct impression that he succeeded at USC despite some mediocre coaching, a mediocre OL (his sophomore year), and one year of experience playing QB in high school.   The sky is the limit for this guy.  

His O-line was also mediocre his RS freshman year, Sam made them look good...his sophomore year the O-line was made up of true freshmen that would not otherwise be on the field, and the few veterans were injured or out for the season with major injuries.  

I'm  not going to say he can do the same with a bad/mediocre line in the pros, but I think Sam did not get the credit he deserves for rising above poor line play.  Josh Rosen at least had his LT drafted in the first round, Sam had no outstanding linemen at all, both years.

as for coaching....the offensive play calls were atrocious, I believe that is why Sam left the university he loves, because he knew this coaching staff was holding him back.  

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

If we're playing this game, I think it's Gettleman, honestly.  Eli at the end of his career and you take a running back when you have a shot to set your franchise up for another decade of quality QB play?

I wouldn't have made the call that Dorsey made, but he took the QB he wanted, and it wasn't unsupported by the analytics.

agree with this point.  i thought Dorsey made the bad pick on QB (thankfully!) but i don't see how the Giants passed on Sam.   It's like the Pats trading their future QB to keep current aging QB happy.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

As long as he can progress just as much. Nobody in here is the expert, or anything close to one. Buy some say it’s harder to progress on the little things that will add up, if he has to worry about putting all his focus on opposing D tendency , the plays Bates will want to run, ect That itself is a step in the learning process. If he is has shaked all the little things he needed to work on with just focusing on that, then great. I like the jets saying they are throwing everything at him. You can’t consider starting a young rookie if you don’t.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

In Dorsey's case, yes he chased the analytics.  And I think it was a huge mistake (and I am an analytics guy).  There was much love for Mayfield on this board too, but I never fell asleep near that pod.  Taking him over Darnold seemed like chasing fool's gold to me.  If Mayfield isn't great and Darnold is, this decision will follow him forever.  Time will tell.  

At the end of the day, we will hopefully look back and shake our head at how both GMs passed on a great QB that day.

I agree 100%

So far it looks very good for us.  Indeed I have been following Mayfield and while he has been playing very well.  There is this....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2018/06/14/baker-mayfield-todd-haley-cleveland-browns/702298002/

"If Baker Mayfield is going to make any kind of a run at the starting quarterback job as a rookie, he'll have to show big improvements in training camp.

That's the verdict Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley rendered Thursday as the team wrapped up its three-day minicamp. As it stands, Haley sees Mayfield, the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft, needing to make up substantial ground in order to catch up to Tyrod Taylor.

"Again, that's yet to be determined,'' Haley said. "He has a long way to go. I'd say it's clear that Tyrod is the leader of this team."

One Cleveland writer put it this way when describing Baker Mayfield and the Browns... "Taylor has earned the right to be the starting quarterback" This is with no pads on!!!!

This is in stark contrast to what we are hearing about Darnold and I for one am loving it

1 hour ago, KRL said:

It's disgusting how people have fallen all over themselves with the Barkley pick.  How
any reasonable football observer can ever put the impact of an RB on the same level as
a QB is moronic.  Think about it if Barkley stays healthy during his rookie contract
he could have at least 2000 touches/tackles on his body when he hits free agency:

20 rushes + 5 catches * 16 games = 400 touches/tackles a year
400 touches/tackles * 5 years = 2000 touches/tackles for his rookie contract

That's a lot of tread off the tire for a RB at only 26-27 years old

I don't understand your point about the amount of touches Barkley might have.  1. Why is the guy having a ton of touches a point against drafting him?  2. Who cares how much mileage he has when his rookie contract is up?  That is the next team's problem. If he is transcendent you pay him, if the miles are slowing him down you pay him less. 

20 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

His O-line was also mediocre his RS freshman year, Sam made them look good...his sophomore year the O-line was made up of true freshmen that would not otherwise be on the field, and the few veterans were injured or out for the season with major injuries.  

I'm  not going to say he can do the same with a bad/mediocre line in the pros, but I think Sam did not get the credit he deserves for rising above poor line play.  Josh Rosen at least had his LT drafted in the first round, Sam had no outstanding linemen at all, both years.

as for coaching....the offensive play calls were atrocious, I believe that is why Sam left the university he loves, because he knew this coaching staff was holding him back.  

To be fair, he had Jones who went at the top of the 2nd and JuJu who went in the 2nd last year - along with Zach Banner an underwhelming but huge OT going in the 4th.  Rosen also had a WR and C go in the 5th this year, along with his LT McDermott going to the Pats in 2017.  Neither was exactly playing with the roster Allen had to deal with. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't understand your point about the amount of touches Barkley might have.  1. Why is the guy having a ton of touches a point against drafting him?  2. Who cares how much mileage he has when his rookie contract is up?  That is the next team's problem. If he is transcendent you pay him, if the miles are slowing him down you pay him less. 

To be fair, he had Jones who went at the top of the 2nd and JuJu who went in the 2nd last year - along with Zach Banner an underwhelming but huge OT going in the 4th.  Rosen also had a WR and C go in the 5th this year, along with his LT McDermott going to the Pats in 2017.  Neither was exactly playing with the roster Allen had to deal with. 

RoJo had excellent coaching his last year, Deland McCullough ended up only coaching that group one year before the Chiefs picked him up, under Deland RoJo made a big jump. Up till then, he couldn't block or catch out of the backfield.  I can only imagine his stats if he had a competent line.  

WRs at USC were all pretty much 4* and 5* guys....plus JuJu played like a linebacker with speed and the hands of a WR.  If you watched JuJus' highlight videos, he sent plenty of defensive players into outer space.  Evidently the NFL scouts greatly underestimated his skill, he was passed over twice by all the teams save the Steelers.  Coaching was a big issue.

i heard all about Allen for a long time before the draft, and before he was on the NFL's radar.  Jordan Palmer was his QB coach for a year before the draft....Jordan (and Sam) raved about Josh's raw talent and that cannon of an arm - I sit and tailgate with Jordan's FIL.  Still, his supporting cast was on par with the rest of the conference he played in, and some believe JA had better coaching than Sam.  

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think @KRL's point is that a second overall pick should be an investment in a potential HoF caliber player or at the very least, a strong 8-12 year contributor. If both players are playing well in this situation, a QB at the end of his rookie deal will just be entering the prime of his career while the RB will either (1) have a ton of mileage on him in just 5 years or (2) not be on your team in five years as referenced by your "next team" comment.

On top of that, it's even more ridiculous that they passed on a guy like Darnold to draft the above...especially when their HoFer at the position is in the twilight of his career and will need replacing soon.

14 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I think @KRL's point is that a second overall pick should be an investment in a potential HoF caliber player or at the very least, a strong 8-12 year contributor. If both players are playing well in this situation, a QB at the end of his rookie deal will just be entering the prime of his career while the RB will either (1) have a ton of mileage on him in just 5 years or (2) not be on your team in five years as referenced by your "next team" comment.

On top of that, it's even more ridiculous that they passed on a guy like Darnold to draft the above...especially when their HoFer at the position is in the twilight of his career and will need replacing soon.

Exactly!!!

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

SOJF is just another name for people who have been largely correct about the team since Mark Sanchez took over.

It really has no bearing on the Sam Darnold situation.

Lol at SOJF starting with the post-Sanchez era.

I wish it were true.....I really really wish it were true.

But 1981 IndianaJet knows otherwise.....

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Noooooo!!!!!

I hate you

You need to screenshot that exchange and keep it for the next 15 years....

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

"If Baker Mayfield is going to make any kind of a run at the starting quarterback job as a rookie, he'll have to show big improvements in training camp.

That's the verdict Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley rendered Thursday as the team wrapped up its three-day minicamp. As it stands, Haley sees Mayfield, the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft, needing to make up substantial ground in order to catch up to Tyrod Taylor.

"Again, that's yet to be determined,'' Haley said. "He has a long way to go. I'd say it's clear that Tyrod is the leader of this team."

One Cleveland writer put it this way when describing Baker Mayfield and the Browns... "Taylor has earned the right to be the starting quarterback" This is with no pads on!!!!

This is in stark contrast to what we are hearing about Darnold and I for one am loving it

That is something. I'm not a big Bridgewater fan, but I do think he's better than Taylor. And while Teddy is getting praise from some reporters, I can't recall anyone saying that he looks better than Darnold. 

Mayfield was supposed to be just about as NFL-ready as Josh Rosen. He's also supposed to be this super-fast learner with a photographic memory. These were some of his major plusses. Struggling to take the job from Tyrod Taylor can't be a good sign. 

25 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Conversely, if Barkley can help get the jints another championship before Eli is done, it'll be hard to disparage the pick - and that's coming from someone who really couldn't believe they passed on Darnold. I never thought they would. Once Mayfield went first, I was really concerned about which of Rosen or Allen the Jets were gonna wind up with. 

Archived