That buzz you hear is all about Darnold

jetrider

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Kid is legitimately the best QB prospect the Jets have had since Namath.

Not sure how you can fault fans for being pretty excited about the guy.

Sure, there’s the off-chance that he could be a bust, but pretty much every scout out there thinks that worst case scenario, he’s a serviceable starting QB for a number of years. Best case, he’s one of the Top 5-8 QB’s in the league for the next decade plus.

+1 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is urban legend, but carry on. 

Absolutely NOT urban legend, Parcells would not promise Archie he would take Payton #1 overall & he stayed in school. Too tired to google proof, so google proof for me that it's NOT TRUE. Consolation prize....Keyshawn Johnson instead of Payton Manning.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is nothing like the desperate rush to judgement of a long abused fanbase.

Maybe instead of all this hot air, we could, you know, just wait till he plays.  In a game.  That counts.

And then make some evaluations on that, of something real.

Yeah, let's just shut this board down until week 1 of the season...

6 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I hope and pray that happens.  If not for the Browns FO telling Sam's people from the beginning of his sophomore season, that they were going to select him #1 if he came out early, Sam would not have left USC early.  They weren't honest, and taking them for their word was a mistake.

or as Jordan Palmer said, Sam did not leave USC to go in the first round, he left to go #1 overall.

Sammy looks happy - is happy, so that is all that counts.  I'll hate those bastards with the Browns forever.  

They changed their mind. 

You think that if he could see the results of the draft and would be the third pick he would have stayed in school?

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I value a QB over an RB. If both players are HoF, GOATs at their position when they retire, I'm taking the QB over the RB every single time.

I don't really understand your position. Are you saying that you would have taken Barkley over your choice of QB?

I would take a franchise qb over a hof rb. 

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It was very close!

Pat will show you what’s so great about him in a few months, like TS said do you think Andy Reid puts a expected Super Bowl contender on his shoulders with no other option if there isn’t something there?  He didn’t have to walk away from A Smith just yet he could have kept him around to be the back up to Mahomes in case he crashed, and burned, but Reid sees what I see a star ready to shine.

I agree 100%

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Absolutely NOT urban legend, Parcells would not promise Archie he would take Payton #1 overall & he stayed in school. Too tired to google proof, so google proof for me that it's NOT TRUE. Consolation prize....Keyshawn Johnson instead of Payton Manning.

No it’s even worse.  That was the previous year’s draft. Parcels essentially chose James Farrior over a 22 year old Peyton Manning

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No it’s even worse.  That was the previous year’s draft. Parcels essentially chose James Farrior over a 22 year old Peyton Manning

Oh god that's right! Parcells traded out of the 1st pick and passed on Orlando Pace! Also Walter Jones, two of the best olineman ever, lol! 

Good job shopping for those groceries Bill, lol. He was a great coach & he did turn us around, but he did nothing for the longer term future of the team. And him refusing to guarantee Archie he would draft Payton & then trading out of the #1 spot and drafting James Farrior? Rick Terry? Omfg, what a f*cking major blunder. Absolutely right up there with the dumb mistakes in the draft that have plagued this franchise for years. 

That mistake & not just stepping away so Belichick could take over had a 20 year ramification with him at the helm of New England. So Parcells decisions probably cost the Jets Payton Manning & Bill Belichick. Makes you wonder if Parcells was even worth it regarding the history of our franchise & what we also gave up in draft picks to New England to get him here. 

18 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know if you can say Jets fans are underestimating the skill positions.  We look to be strong at WR, though not spectacular.  But, certainly nice to have Enunwa back and a true HR threat in Anderson.  That said, RB leaves a lot to be desired, and the offensive line is just bad.  We have 26 career receptions at the TE position today.

When you take a closer look at Isaiah Crowells career with the Browns, the QBs he's played with, the games they have played from behind ect. and defenses being able to stack the box, his YPC are pretty damn impressive. I think your underestimating him. He's a very tough inside runner, and he squeezes out every yard he can get. Guys like that are great closers when defenses tire in the 4th quarter. Going to Crowell from a totally spent Forte is a huge upgrade. 

13 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

They were talking to Sam's people (not an agent) beginning of his sophomore year, which Sam had no interest, by mid year, the Browns thought they had a good chance of the first pick. After the Rose Bowl they were talking to Sam's private coaches about picking him #1.  Sam decided to come out with the opportunity to go #1 overall.  

I similarly feel betrayed by the Browns front office, and I was only attached to them for about 8 months... after it became apparent they would get #1 pick I was sure they would select Darnold with it, a confidence not at all alleviated during the off season. 

Dorsey is a jerk-off, he probably thought he was so clever throwing smokescreens left and right by sitting in the stands with Sam's parents during Pro Day and I knew from Darnold's face (which rarely changes) immediately after the Browns pick that he and his support were being fed complete horse sh*t during the interviews and dinners.

I think Baker is decent QB, but what was it all for? All the misdirections and two 1-15 seasons to get a Nick Foles? I understand maybe Josh Rosen or Saquon, who are ready-to-go transformational player-makers on the level of Sam, but the Browns played so many games with the #1 pick just to select a short, mildly athletic, game manager QB, who will sit behind Tyrod for 2 seasons?  

Whatever, for selfish reasons I'd much rather take a weekend trip to NYC than Cleveland to watch my favorite player. Just felt bad for Sam immediately after the draft, but I think the experience made him additionally grateful to have a coaching staff and fan-base that are equally grateful to have him.

Christopher Johnson's words to him during the draft call were exactly what Sam and faithful USC fans needed to hear, even if it took a few days to sink in.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is nothing like the desperate rush to judgement of a long abused fanbase.

Maybe instead of all this hot air, we could, you know, just wait till he plays.  In a game.  That counts.

And then make some evaluations on that, of something real.

Ok so what should we discuss till then? 

17 minutes ago, Trojets said:

I similarly feel betrayed by the Browns front office, and I was only attached to them for about 8 months... after it became apparent they would get #1 pick I was sure they would select Darnold with it, a confidence not at all alleviated during the off season. 

Dorsey is a jerk-off, he probably thought he was so clever throwing smokescreens left and right by sitting in the stands with Sam's parents during Pro Day and I knew from Darnold's face (which rarely changes) immediately after the Browns pick that he and his support were being fed complete horse sh*t during the interviews and dinners.

I think Baker is decent QB, but what was it all for? All the misdirections and two 1-15 seasons to get a Nick Foles? I understand maybe Josh Rosen or Saquon, who are ready-to-go transformational player-makers on the level of Sam, but the Browns played so many games with the #1 pick just to select a short, mildly athletic, game manager QB, who will sit behind Tyrod for 2 seasons?  

Whatever, for selfish reasons I'd much rather take a weekend trip to NYC than Cleveland to watch my favorite player. Just felt bad for Sam immediately after the draft, but I think the experience made him additionally grateful to have a coaching staff and fan-base that are equally grateful to have him.

Christopher Johnson's words to him during the draft call were exactly what Sam and faithful USC fans needed to hear, even if it took a few days to sink in.

Sam fans > Tebow fans and not even close. Welcome to Jetsnation. I love Sam too!

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

When you take a closer look at Isaiah Crowells career with the Browns, the QBs he's played with, the games they have played from behind ect. and defenses being able to stack the box, his YPC are pretty damn impressive. I think your underestimating him. He's a very tough inside runner, and he squeezes out every yard he can get. Guys like that are great closers when defenses tire in the 4th quarter. Going to Crowell from a totally spent Forte is a huge upgrade. 

Why would defenses ever stack the box against Cleveland? I'd think he'd be running draw plays against the prevent. 

15 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Judging by the poll of Jets fans picking Mayfield over Darnold, maybe Mayfield would have been the choice.

i can understand if it was Sammy vs Josh Rosen.

It has been covered, I truly believe many of the Jets fans who voted in the polls had mayfield over Darnold because there was no thought Darnold would be there at 3, so they were being realistic. I believe you'd see on a lot of polls that Darnold was ranked third behind Mayfield and Rosen. Pretty sure its because no one thought he'd be available. 

Also, Welcome to the board. Hope you stick around

1 hour ago, slats said:

Why would defenses ever stack the box against Cleveland? I'd think he'd be running draw plays against the prevent. 

Browns have had many close games in the last 3 years & they always blow the game at the end just like our game with them last year. I'm sure Bowles & KC went into the game like every game to stop the run 1st. 

2 hours ago, Trojets said:

Hey there!  No doubt, Sam landed in a much better place, and he is happy (from everything I've heard), plus he couldn't be surrounded by higher character guys in that QB room, than he is with the Jets. That alone should make us grateful Sam landed with the Jets.

are you out here in SoCal?  My season tickets are in the "Herd" section of the Coliseum with all the die-hard crazies, and I was a moderator on a USC recruiting forum that my friend was a publisher of, he has deep ties within the program.

If you come to a game, we have to meet!

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Sam fans > Tebow fans and not even close. Welcome to Jetsnation. I love Sam too!

I can just imagine, I was a moderator on a USC board for years.  I love that kid (Tim) for the person he is, respect him, but some of his followers are bat-sh*t crazy!  

Love our Sammy, but I know he'd want us to be respectful of his team (or it will be at some point) and cheer for ALL of them, and to respect the fans.

Thank all of you for the welcome, and if anything happens out here of interest I'll be happy to report from the "best coast" ! 

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I can just imagine, I was a moderator on a USC board for years.  I love that kid (Tim) for the person he is, respect him, but some of his followers are bat-sh*t crazy!  

Love our Sammy, but I know he'd want us to be respectful of his team (or it will be at some point) and cheer for ALL of them, and to the respect the fans.

Thank all of you for the welcome, and if anything happens out here of interest I'll be happy to report from the "best coast" ! 

Yeah. I was one of the original "Suck for Sam" guys here. Literally became enthralled with him after the Rose Bowl win. When we ended up with the 6th pick I literally gave up any hope of getting him. Even after moving to  3 I was pretty much expecting Rosen or Mayfield. This was the first NFL draft i think I have watch that the Jets picked the guy I wanted in the first. Ever.  Im 51 so yeah let that sink in. Welcome to the board again and appreciate all the insight and enthusiasm.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I will add to the bad and say that Parcells traded down from 1 to 6 or 8 and only got 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks for it.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

The buzz is real. The Jets have a QB, they finally have a QB.

We will have to be patient. There will be bumps in the road. Good days are here though, exciting stuff.

Oh look, it’s the Grim Reaper of Jets predictions 

20 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Judging by the poll of Jets fans picking Mayfield over Darnold, maybe Mayfield would have been the choice.

i can understand if it was Sammy vs Josh Rosen.

Darnold wasn't an option on most polls cause he wasn't a realistic pick at 6 or 3.

I work with Marvell Tell's mom. Last season I tried to get Sam's favorite NFL team or where he hoped to go but she kept saying, "We really don't know." Thought she was afraid to leak anything but it turns out Sam didn't follow the NFL. USC was his fave team. To me that's the single most disturbing thing about Darnold. Forget the turnovers, his football interest ended at the college level. That's hard to comprehend. The OC beach bubble he grew up in is like another planet. With no interest in campus life or the LA party scene, Sam was a programmed football machine that didn't follow the NFL. Very odd. I think the savior stuff might be real, like there's divine intervention happening with this kid ... lol

Yeah. I was one of the original "Suck for Sam" guys here. Literally became enthralled with him after the Rose Bowl win. When we ended up with the 6th pick I literally gave up any hope of getting him. Even after moving to  3 I was pretty much expecting Rosen or Mayfield. This was the first NFL draft i think I have watch that the Jets picked the guy I wanted in the first. Ever.  Im 51 so yeah let that sink in. Welcome to the board again and appreciate all the insight and enthusiasm.

Me too. 1967 ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

My fantasy football name was SUCK FOR SAM, then I changed midseason to BAKER TAKERS after we won too many games. Thought no way in hell we have a chance at Darnold. Browns fans are going to lose their sh*t if Darnold ends up a better QB than Mayfield. Jet fans talk about missing out on Marino but the Browns have had opportunity after opportunity to to draft a good QB. Forget Cleveland, Giant fans having to watch Darnold succeed for 20 years right here in the same stadium would be heaven sent.

Be so fun to go to the Giants board & inquire, so, you guys reupping Barkley at 20 million per? 

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Darnold wasn't an option on most polls cause he wasn't a realistic pick at 6 or 3.

I work with Marvell Tell's mom. Last season I tried to get Sam's favorite NFL team or where he hoped to go but she kept saying, "We really don't know." Thought she was afraid to leak anything but it turns out Sam didn't follow the NFL. USC was his fave team. To me that's the single most disturbing thing about Darnold. Forget the turnovers, his football interest ended at the college level. That's hard to comprehend. The OC beach bubble he grew up in is like another planet. With no interest in campus life or the LA party scene, Sam was a programmed football machine that didn't follow the NFL. Very odd. I think the savior stuff might be real, like there's divine intervention happening with this kid ... lol

I love Marvel, nice young man!  Expect a big year from him.

guess you don't know about the L.A. Times interview that was done at Sam's house, pre draft?  The writer noticed the only NFL memorabilia was a New York Jets football in his room, but promised Sam he wouldn't mention it in the article.  Which he didn't..till after the draft.  Sam watched the NFL, Tom Brady was a hero, he just didn't have a favorite NFL team. If you live in the L.A. area, you know that USC was the de facto NFL team in L.A., most of us aren't NFL fans, but follow our players Pro careers.  Hard to break from our USC only fan mindset.

Oh, he loved school, just wasn't a party guy.  He was too busy working on his craft, his podcast, and philanthropic commitments he was expected to do as the QB at USC.  He did keep his long time friends and his family close.

Sam is a big Laker and Dodger fan, tho.

10 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I love Marvel, nice young man!  Expect a big year from him.

guess you don't know about the L.A. Times interview that was done at Sam's house, pre draft?  The writer noticed the only NFL memorabilia was a New York Jets football in his room, but promised Sam he wouldn't mention it in the article.  Which he didn't..till after the draft.  Sam watched the NFL, Tom Brady was a hero, he just didn't have a favorite NFL team. If you live in the L.A. area, you know that USC was the de facto NFL team in L.A., most of us aren't NFL fans, but follow our players Pro careers.  Hard to break from our USC only fan mindset.

sam is a big Laker and Dodger fan, tho.

Actually, I posted another article done at his house that showed a Bears helmet on his bedroom wall. Didn't see a Jets ball anywhere, will have to go back and look. Mike Francesa did an excellent interview with Sam where he answered all these questions. Do you have a link for the LA Times article or the part about the Jets ball?

Archived