That buzz you hear is all about Darnold

jetrider

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They also jettisoned their out of touch dinosaur HC who had exemplified mediocrity and brought it one of the most exciting young offensive minds in the game to save their 1st overall pick QB who went from looking like a lost cause in 2016 to looking like a Pro Bowler in 2017... So that's kind of the exception rather than the rule.

I suppose it's possible that McAdoo was an utter buffoon (although nobody seemed to think so in 2016 when the team was in the playoffs) and Schurmur is a genius (even though he looked anything but in Cleveland) buy my guess is no coach is turning back the clock on Eli.

You think the dinosaur coaching caused the 50 sacks to 28 sacks improvement in the offense or the addition of the 35 year old LT Whitworth and 32 year old C Sullivan?  Obviously ever team is different, but Solder does not have to be Orlando Pace to have a huge positive impact, and some of the other moves the Giants made may make a big difference, particularly on the offensive line.  Their D was excellent in 2016 and sucked last year,  kind of like the Jets O 2015 to 2016.

I hate the Giants and will revel in their demise, but the changes they made seem sensible enough. It is a bit early to count them out. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think the dinosaur coaching caused the 50 sacks to 28 sacks improvement in the offense or the addition of the 35 year old LT Whitworth and 32 year old C Sullivan?  Obviously ever team is different, but Solder does not have to be Orlando Pace to have a huge positive impact, and some of the other moves the Giants made may make a big difference, particularly on the offensive line.  Their D was excellent in 2016 and sucked last year,  kind of like the Jets O 2015 to 2016.

I hate the Giants and will revel in their demise, but the changes they made seem sensible enough. It is a bit early to count them out. 

Yes I do because I think the new coach implemented an offensive system that got the ball out of the QBs hands quickly.

I agree that the Giants could potentially see a big leap in 2018 but that has more to do with the fact that they were crippled with injuries and generally under-performed last year. I still don't think they're close to contending though.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:03 AM, JoeC36 said:

It has been covered, I truly believe many of the Jets fans who voted in the polls had mayfield over Darnold because there was no thought Darnold would be there at 3, so they were being realistic. I believe you'd see on a lot of polls that Darnold was ranked third behind Mayfield and Rosen. Pretty sure its because no one thought he'd be available. 

Also, Welcome to the board. Hope you stick around

Absolutely true, I voted Mayfiield mostly because I just looked into the other three assuming he would go first. After we got him, and went back and read/watched everything I could and outside of PFFs analytics I have no idea why Darnold was not the #1 pick in the draft. It is shocking that he fell to us

9 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I like Rich Eisen's comment the day after the draft....one QB was promoting his video (Mayfield) while the other (Sam) was visiting a children's hospital. 

Guess Rich is a Jet's fan? 

Not sure if a joke or not but Eisen is a HUGE Jets fan. Even more so than Chris Berman also a Jets fan. Every once in a while the NFL Network guys will mention it.

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure if a joke or not but Eisen is a HUGE Jets fan. Even more so than Chris Berman also a Jets fan. Every once in a while the NFL Network guys will mention it.

Haha, told you I wasn't an NFL fan, I have the NFL network, but never watch it....I did make sure I have the PAC-12 network.

this was my first clue Rich was a Jets fan.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:16 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Could it be we have the real deal?

I can't even let myself believe that yet. Baby steps. I don't think I could take buying in fully and having him flop. It's like I need/want him to be legit, top 8 QB that I don't wanna talk about it. Like a no-no in the 7th inning or something.

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I thought Berman was a Bills fan

16 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I like Rich Eisen's comment the day after the draft....one QB was promoting his video (Mayfield) while the other (Sam) was visiting a children's hospital. 

Mayfield is going to be such a bust

On 6/15/2018 at 2:14 PM, T0mShane said:

Now do the same exercise with Jamal Adams and Pat Mahomes.

Do you think Mahomes coming out is an equivalent prospect to Darnold?   I don't remember him being considered that highly    An excellent athlete  but with Some questions about the system he played in and that he would Need time to be coached up

On 6/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Payton would of came out if Parcells promised his father to take him #1 .... do Jet fans not know this happens first hand? 

We missed out on one of the best QB’s to ever play because of this very situation.

I've read that Manning didn't want to play for Parcells because of how rough he was on QBs

Jets' rebuilding plan hinges on all-in move for Sam Darnold

8:00 AM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  

The New York Jets ended their offseason program on June 14. Here’s a look at how it unfolded, how they fared and the questions still lingering:

Offseason goals: Same as always: Find a quarterback. General manager Mike Maccagnan was under immense pressure to sign free agent Kirk Cousins or get one of the top quarterbacks in a loaded draft class. He delivered the latter, trading up to select Sam Darnold with the third overall pick. For the first time in nearly a decade, the Jets have a young, blue-chip quarterback around whom they can build. He's the key piece in the massive rebuilding project that started last year. He doesn't have enough weapons, which should provide a clue as to what their offseason goals will be in 2019.

How they fared: Above average (if Darnold is the real deal)

Move I liked: The St. Patrick's Day trade with the Colts that allowed them to move up three spots in the draft. The Jets paid a premium -- three second-round picks -- but the aggressive move was necessary. Their top-rated quarterbacks were Darnold, Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen, but they would've risked missing out on all three if they had stayed at No. 6 overall. As it turned out, they wound up with the top guy on their board. Yes, they got lucky, but as Branch Rickey once said, "Luck is the residue of design."

Move I didn’t like: They opted for the third- or fourth-best center on the free-agent market, Spencer Long, when they had enough cap room to afford someone better. Don't get me wrong, Long is an upgrade over the departed Wesley Johnson, but his track record suggests he's not the long-term answer. For one thing, he has never played a full season and he's coming off quadriceps surgery, which caused him to miss a chunk of the spring. Long was their one splurge on the offensive line, which didn't get the TLC it needed.

Biggest question still to be answered in training camp: Who's the quarterback? Josh McCown will go into camp No. 1 on the depth chart, followed by former Vikings starter Teddy Bridgewater and Darnold, respectively. But this isn't your typical 1-2-3 depth chart; they all have a shot to be the opening-day starter. Bridgewater has the ability to steal the job, but his surgically repaired knee remains a question mark. Darnold impressed in the spring, but he'd have to be lights-out in the preseason to take it. Prediction: McCown, the safety net, emerges as the Week 1 starter, but he'll yield for Darnold before Halloween. Another prediction: All three will be on the roster. Quarterbacks aside, the most vexing question is, where's the pass rush? They have a decent group of interior rushers, led by Leonard Williams, but they didn't find any edge rushers in the draft or free agency. Mark this down: They will try to trade for one in the preseason.

No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold has impressed onlookers at Jets camp, but he faces stiff competition to start as a rookie. Julio Cortez/AP Photo

Quotable: "I think people are going to look back 20 years from now and say this is the moment the Jets shifted into a new year, that they became a great team" -- CEO Christopher Johnson on the drafting of Darnold.

Salary-cap space: $19.5 million, according to NFLPA records.

ADVERTISEMENT

2018 draft picks: 1. QB Sam Darnold (USC); 3. DE Nathan Shepherd (Fort Hays State); 4. TE Chris Herndon (Miami); 6a. CB Parry Nickerson (Tulane), 6b. DT Folorunso Fatukasi (UConn), 6c. RB/KR Trenton Cannon (Virginia State).

Undrafted rookie free agents signed: FB Dimitri Flowers (Oklahoma), C Austin Golson (Auburn), T Darius James (Auburn), LB Frankie Luvu(Washington State), G Dakoda Shepley (British Columbia), DL Mychealon Thomas (Texas Tech), WR Jonah Trinnaman (BYU), LB Anthony Wint (Florida International).

Unrestricted free agents signed: LB David Bass (Jets), QB Teddy Bridgewater (Vikings), CB Morris Claiborne (Jets), LB Brandon Copeland (Lions), RB Isaiah Crowell (Browns), CB Trumaine Johnson (Rams), C Spencer Long (Redskins), QB Josh McCown (Jets), LB Kevin Minter(Bengals), DL Mike Pennel (Jets), LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (Chiefs), WR Terrelle Pryor (Redskins), WR Andre Roberts (Falcons), PK Cairo Santos(Bears), C Travis Swanson (Lions), LB Avery Williamson (Titans),

Restricted free agents signed: WR Quincy Enunwa (Jets), S Rontez Miles(Jets), T Brent Qvale (Jets), TE Neal Sterling (Jets),

Players acquired via trade: DE Henry Anderson (Colts),

20 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Yep. He’s been a Jets fan his whole life. He doesn’t show it much because there isn’t much to be proud about for now lol.

7 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Colin has an unhealthy hate for Baker, I don't understand it.  It's at the point it's embarrassing, and unprofessional.

Working at FS1 is embarrassing and unprofessional. It’s like the drainage ditch out behind the ESPN sanitation department in Bristol.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

How about we wait till these guys take at least 1 nfl snap before we annoint darnold and crush the giants.

Hell, we both could make out well here.  Maybe the giants win a super bowl or 2 the next few years w/ Barkley leading the way.  And Darnold becomes a franchise qb and gets us a super bowl or two down the road.

:cheers:     Exactly !!

On 6/18/2018 at 1:26 PM, #27TheDominator said:

It’s very smart to build your team around your Oline. They were 1 of the worst units last yr, along with ours. They added two studs in solder and Hernandez. Sure they will add to it next yr also. Mac should take some lessons.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:19 AM, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you this is a fantastic article.  

It is 3:00am in the morning and I’m out here trolling for articles just like this and LOVING IT!!!!!

Is this real?

Thank You God..........

and back looking for another article/crumb so I can go back to sleep with an even bigger smile on my face than I have on now!!!

Amen, brother. No more excuses.  We have our guy.  Coaches, it is on you.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It’s very smart to build your team around your Oline. They were 1 of the worst units last yr, along with ours. They added two studs in solder and Hernandez. Sure they will add to it next yr also. Mac should take some lessons.

Solder isn’t great.  Beachum was actually rated higher in PFF

16 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

lol. So glad we have Darnold and glad he doesn't have twitter. 

Jets Fans: Baker Mayfield shouldn't respond by stating a fact and then saying have a nice day when he's attacked.

Also Jets Fans: Jamal Adams is just being confident when he compares himself to Troy Polomolu and says he's going to revolutionize the position and all the other stuff he says is okay too STFU H8RZZZ

Archived