New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 6.14

Maxman

On how he would sum up mini-camp...

We got a lot of things accomplished mentally. Again, the chemistry is growing. I can't wait to get to training camp. We finished the last two days on good notes and the guys are upbeat as they should be. They just have to come back healthy and ready to go.

On his overall impression of Teddy Bridgewater in the spring...

The biggest thing is that he was healthy and he was moving around and he fit right in with the other two, with Josh (McCown) and Sam (Darnold). He was throwing the ball well. He grasped the offense well. We will be excited to see him in training camp. 

On if this was a "successful spring" for Darnold...

It was a learning spring. I don't think anyone has success in the spring in a t-shirt and shorts. It was a process of learning for him that I thought was pretty good that will help him come training camp.

On Darnold grasping the offense and reading plays...

I think he understands it pretty well. But as you run plays and you make the mistakes, you learn from them. He learns from his mistakes very well. So from that standpoint, he did a pretty good job and the more he sees, the more comfortable he gets. 

On if McCown will begin training camp as the starter...

Josh will start come training camp and we will see what happens at the end of training camp. 

On if he has formulated how he will divide the reps for the quarterbacks during training camp...

Not at this time, but I have an idea. When I do, I will talk to Jeremy (Bates) over the summer and we will go from there. 

On who the number two quarterback will be for camp...

Teddy will line up as number two. It will be no different from the spring going in. The competition will heat up because we are in pads and lot of things count. 

On when he will reassess the quarterback rotation...

We will come up with a plan over the summer. Right now, I do not have that answer. As the summer goes forward and we formulate what we want to do, we will have that answer, but right now I don't.

On if McCown will receive a reduced number of reps during training camp since he is familiar with the offense...

Again, we haven't formulated a plan one way or the other yet. We will talk about it this summer and as we go forward, we will make those decisions.

On if it will be hard to get all three quarterbacks ready with the practice constraints...

Three guys are better than four guys. We will get those reps in pretty good and we will have set days and set plans where some will get more than others, but it will even out in the end and we will get to see what we need to see. 

On players who surprised him during the offseason...

They moved around. Leonard Williams came back in a lot better shape than he was last year. Again, it is the spring, but he moved around well and we liked some of the things he did. There were a lot of other guys, probably too many to mention, but again it is spring training. We will wait until the summer until these guys get evaluated in pads before we start putting guys on pedestals or making guys crash and burn. 

On whether he can identify the players who have most improved from last offseason to this point...

There are some improved from a lifting standpoint and a running and conditioning standpoint. From a football standpoint, it remains to be seen right now.

On his preference for Lawrence Thomas’ weight and whether Thomas is currently at his listed weight of 280...

I would want him at 281 (joking, laughing).

On Thomas’ current weight...

280.5, he’s got another half-pound to go (joking, laughing).

On the honest answer of Thomas’ weight...

You want the honest answer. I'm not giving you his weight and nor are we going to discuss it. But, he's fine, he was big when we put him there. And, he moved around well and we're comfortable with him where he is. We're not trying to make him lose anymore or gain anymore, he's (a) good size and he moves well enough where he is. 

On if it is tough for Thomas to earn a roster spot at fullback when initially earned a spot as a defensive lineman in 2016...

No, it's not. He is still an emergency defensive lineman by trait. But, he was a fullback in college before he moved to defensive lineman and people are forgetting that. He blocked for Le'Veon Bell so it's not a foreign position to him, he's not just learning it, he's played the position.  We needed a guy back there. He was the best one on our roster to fit the bill and he ended up being pretty good at it. So, we kept him there. 

On what Dimitri Flowers has to do to win the fullback job...

We have to see him in camp and see him play. We liked some of the things he did on film in college, and we bought him in for a reason. The good thing about this year is we're like two or three deep from a competitive standpoint, more than we've ever been at more positions than we've ever had. It's going to be a good training camp. 

On running backs Coach Stump Mitchell comparing Eli McGuire’s skillset to LaDainian Tomlinson...

I think old school players and old school coaches compare new school guys to old school guys; and that's what he did. 

On if there is a comparison between McGuire and Tomlinson on a skill-set basis...

I never coached LaDainian. I know he's legendary and we'll see what Eli does. Eli is a good athlete. That's a lot to live up to. But, he doesn't have to live up LaDainian. He just has to live up to being Eli.

On entering camp with competition and depth at a number of positions...

It's a good thing because can't nobody take a break. We got guys that, obviously, it was a talent gap in between certain guys, but this is the closest it's been since I've been here at a lot of positions. We expect it to be hot and heated come training camp. 

On if he plans on making changes to his coaching approach...

I've made quite a few changes, none to speak of. You try to get better every year or see what you can do different or scale back or put in. You get input from everybody and you kind of see what's around you and you come to those type of conclusion. I will continue to do that this summer and we will see what training camp brings. 

On if he feels more comfortable now than his first year as head coach...

The thing in this job - your never comfortable. You kind of make do. I’m about the same from a comfortability standpoint. 

On how this group compares to the roster last year during this point...

Unknown, remains to be seen. Everything on paper I don't count. We have yet to put on pads at practice as a team. Roster-wise, you can have all the names and non-names you want until we come together with a chemistry standpoint as a team. Come training camp, it's unknown and the jury is out. 

On how much of a better coach he believes he is now than 2015...

Well, we get judged off wins and losses. So right now, I’m not a very good coach. Hopefully, we can win a lot of ball games and I can become a very good coach. But from that standpoint, you get judged so that's really all you take it as. Anything else as far as the small things I've learned, you just try to apply it toward helping the team and go from there. 

On injured players who will not be ready for training camp...

Still some unknowns, all of them can be ready depending on the time or they can miss a day or two or weeks. So it's still unknown. It can change. I can sit here and tell you one thing and it changes into another. we’re just going to let it play out and see. 

On if anyone other than Rontez Miles will miss significant amount of time...

Not to my knowledge, no.

On what has been bothering Jordan Jenkins and why he has been out...

He has a nicked-up shoulder.

On which shoulder...

I'm not elaborating anymore. 

On if it is difficult transitioning from a veteran team to a younger team...

No, I don't think it is because you treat them all the same from a teaching standpoint. The minute you start separating veterans from rookies and teaching them differently, you’ve lost some of your coaching edge. You treat them differently from a mental standpoint, but you teach them all the same as if they are just coming in. So that part has been pretty easy.

On Darnold grasping the offense and reading plays...

I think he understands it pretty well. But as you run plays and you make the mistakes, you learn from them. He learns from his mistakes very well. So from that standpoint, he did a pretty good job and the more he sees, the more comfortable he gets

THIS is why they're going to continue giving him more reps than the other guys.  I'd guess of the three QBs Darnold gets 50% of the reps in Camp and Josh/Teddy split the other 50 roughly evenly.  It will be interesting to see how this shakes out but the Jets obviously didn't give guys like Hack reps because they felt he wasn't ready and needed more fundamental work, classroom work, etc.  So they didn't waste reps on him.  If the key lever to improving Sam Darnold isn't watching and learning, but it's live repetition under Center then that's what they'll do IMO.

funny thing about bowles - he sounds a lot like parcells when he talks.   the big question to me anyways is whether he has big bill's intellect for the game.   while bowles has always sounded like a coach he hasn't been able to show it on the field.   this year is a big year for him.  darnold is clearly the future, what bowles does with him is going to dictate whether or not he's around to see it.   

if bowles can't show he can field a top 10 defense (why he was hired) and develop darnold, then we'll see an offensive minded HC take over next year.   the entire franchise now comes down to "what can you do with darnold" whether anyone wants to admit or not.  

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If anyone can screw up our QB situation it will be bowles.  Can't wait till he gets canned.  Awful coach on his own and will be a dreadful coach for a young franchise Qb.  (See John fox and jeff fisher)

Agreed, he fired every OC he's had, but good old Kasey Rogers is untouchable. I do belieave this is his last year here. The Jets with a young Darnold has the pulling power to attract a top HC. 

I'm thinking Jim Harbaugh ?

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If anyone can screw up our QB situation it will be bowles.  Can't wait till he gets canned.  Awful coach on his own and will be a dreadful coach for a young franchise Qb.  (See John fox and jeff fisher)

So why is it that Bowles has had two QB, both with long standing histories and they've both had their career years under Bowles?  Why did those two wind up as top third QBs under Bowles?  What about the Jets offense under those two limited QBs remind you of how Fox or Fisher run an offense?  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So why is it that Bowles has had two QB, both with long standing histories and they've both had their career years under Bowles?  Why did those two wind up as top third QBs under Bowles?  What about the Jets offense under those two limited QBs remind you of how Fox or Fisher run an offense?  

Not sure if you play fantasy football. But if you do do , ask yourself this question: why do QB's on losing teams have decent value. Because they are often playing from behind and forced to pass to play catch-up, it certainly pads the stats but doesn't tell the true story on the quality of the player.

Bowles fault like most defensive minded coaches is they like to play it conservative and rely on their defenses that approach is counter productive in today's NFL which definitely favors the offense. 

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Not sure if you play fantasy football. But if you do do , ask yourself this question: why do QB's on losing teams have decent value. Because they are often playing from behind and forced to pass to play catch-up, it certainly pads the stats but doesn't tell the true story on the quality of the player.

Bowles fault like most defensive minded coaches is they like to play it conservative and rely on their defenses that approach is counter productive in today's NFL which definitely favors the offense. 

Well, let's look at our team specifically. We weren't usually playing from behind last year in a drastic way that made us alter our game plan; it was a touchdown or less, so I don't personally believe what you are saying applies. It does go unsaid most of the time how well journeymen QBs have been playing for us, CAREER YEARS specifically. McCown played on the Browns, among many other sh*tty teams that were certainly playing from behind and he didn't have this success. So I see what you are saying but I disagree as it pertains to our specific situation. We were in a lot of close games..

With that said, I give more credit to Gailey and Morton because I thought they had pretty good years.

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Well, let's look at our team specifically. We weren't usually playing from behind last year, and if we were, it was a touchdown or less, so I don't personally believe what you are saying applies. It does go unsaid most of the time how well journeymen QBs have been playing for us, CAREER YEARS specifically. McCown played on the Browns, among many other sh*tty teams that were certainly playing from behind and he didn't have this success. So I see what you are saying but I disagree as it pertains to our specific situation. We were in a lot of close games..

McCown was constantly hurt when he played for the Browns, injury is the great equalizer. But he had some decent games for them when they were forced to throw. Bottom line he's a mediocre QB , so having a career year means relatively nothing. 

19 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's nice but doesn't explain a thing.  Its is a far cry from explaining why two journeymen QBs have career years with Bowles yet Bowles is on a level of Fisher. 

Jets were ahead in more than their share of games a year ago.  Fitz had his best season and they won 10 games. Not the case where they were losing and compiling stats either season.  Also Fitz and McCown both played on lots of really bad teams where they trailed in most games.  Why weren't their starts padded those years?  Argument doesn't work.  Facts say they had their best years under Bowles.  A fact that doesn't quite fit the Jeff Fisher comparison

22 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

McCown was constantly hurt when he played for the Browns, injury is the great equalizer. But he had some decent games for them when they were forced to throw. Bottom line he's a mediocre QB , so having a career year means relatively nothing. 

Except, again, that's only part of what I said.  He was a top 3rd QB.  So it's relative to the rest of the league, the rest of the coaches

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

THIS is why they're going to continue giving him more reps than the other guys.  I'd guess of the three QBs Darnold gets 50% of the reps in Camp and Josh/Teddy split the other 50 roughly evenly.  It will be interesting to see how this shakes out but the Jets obviously didn't give guys like Hack reps because they felt he wasn't ready and needed more fundamental work, classroom work, etc.  So they didn't waste reps on him.  If the key lever to improving Sam Darnold isn't watching and learning, but it's live repetition under Center then that's what they'll do IMO.

McCown knows what the hell he's doing. he probably only needs minimal reps in TC.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

McCown knows what the hell he's doing. he probably only needs minimal reps in TC.

He did very well under Morton’s O. I don’t know how different Bates will be, but I assume he won’t be exactly the same so he may need to get more reps for that reason. Agree, early on no. Darnold needs to build some chemistry with the WRs. Pre-season we will know a lot more.

49 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Last year on a non talented Jets team McCown could have easily been 8-8. They were in most of the games they lost. A play here or there and 3 of those "L"s become W's

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He did very well under Morton’s O. I don’t know how different Bates will be, but I assume he won’t be exactly the same so he may need to get more reps for that reason. Agree, early on no. Darnold needs to build some chemistry with the WRs. Pre-season we will know a lot more.

Good point with yet another OC. I can't wait till PS games !

On 6/15/2018 at 11:10 AM, Maxman said:

No, I don't think it is because you treat them all the same from a teaching standpoint. The minute you start separating veterans from rookies and teaching them differently, you’ve lost some of your coaching edge. You treat them differently from a mental standpoint, but you teach them all the same as if they are just coming in. So that part has been pretty easy.

For a guy who’s been around the game forever, Todd has some pretty weird philosophical leanings about the coaching profession. 

34 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Good point.  He does have familiarity with Bates however.  His strong 2017 season was with Bates as the QB coach so I do think that helps quite a bit even if the playbook will change and the style of offense will evolve from what Morton ran.  Darnold is starting at the bottom floor with all of it....the system, the coaching, developing a relationship with Bates, etc.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good point.  He does have familiarity with Bates however.  His strong 2017 season was with Bates as the QB coach so I do think that helps quite a bit even if the playbook will change and the style of offense will evolve from what Morton ran.  Darnold is starting at the bottom floor with all of it....the system, the coaching, developing a relationship with Bates, etc.

I have No doubt McCown and Bates already have a good familiarity with 1 another. We do also know Todd Bowles had a major problem with the way John Morton called his games. Which is surprising since last yrs offense did a lot better than expected. So I’m anxious to see what kind of offense Bowles wants Bates  to run. Since he didn’t like last yrs blueprint ? lol

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

I have No doubt McCown and Bates already have a good familiarity with 1 another. We do also know Todd Bowles had a major problem with the way John Morton called his games. Which is surprising since last yrs offense did a lot better than expected. So I’m anxious to see what kind of offense Bowles wants Bates  to run. Since he didn’t like last yrs blueprint ? lol

Yup.  If the offense takes a step back it will be really disappointing, especially with several good pieces added to plug holes on the OLine, completely upgrading the QB spot and putting together a decent stable or RBs after letting old man Forte go.

One of my big concerns is still whether Bates can handle the load of everything he's being asked to do.  Grooming a prime young QB and being responsible for the development of the franchise, coaching the other 2 QBs, installing a new offense and running the whole show as OC is a LOT to ask of anyone IMO.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.  If the offense takes a step back it will be really disappointing, especially with several good pieces added to plug holes on the OLine, completely upgrading the QB spot and putting together a decent stable or RBs after letting old man Forte go.

One of my big concerns is still whether Bates can handle the load of everything he's being asked to do.  Grooming a prime young QB and being responsible for the development of the franchise, coaching the other 2 QBs, installing a new offense and running the whole show as OC is a LOT to ask of anyone IMO.

I think he will be ok. Bowles wants to really dumb down the offense and call more run conservative passing imo. So Bates won’t be asked to draw up exotic plays. Maybe is good for a rookie though.  Bowles is a lot like rex in a way ( shocker another D guru who prob shouldn’t have been a HC) . Ground and pound, control the clock. McCown has been helping darnold a lot. I think it’s easier to learn from a fellow than a qb coach. We also have a “run game coordinator “ to help Bates. So Technically he is probably going to the main coordinator for obvious reasons, not Bates ?

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

This is so not accurate. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think he will be ok. Bowles wants to really dumb down the offense and call more run conservative passing imo. So Bates won’t be asked to draw up exotic plays. Maybe is good for a rookie though.  Bowles is a lot like rex in a way ( shocker another D guru who prob shouldn’t have been a HC) . Ground and pound, control the clock. McCown has been helping darnold a lot. I think it’s easier to learn from a fellow than a qb coach. We also have a “run game coordinator “ to help Bates. So Technically he is probably going to the main coordinator for obvious reasons, not Bates ?

Bingo 

On 6/16/2018 at 8:07 AM, Jet Nut said:

Because A, the ocs and offense with no talent massively over achieved the actual results had little to do with bowles.

And B because he would rather have 100 year old vets playing okay than a possible franchise young guy and do poorly.

I just can't wait until Darnold is not on the field by mid season next year because with a weak sched mccown has us at 4-4 or 5-3 and 'in contention'

I also can't wait for when the jets are down by 12 points nearing half time against a team that has lost 9 in a row with the ball on our own 50 with 40 seconds left and 3 timeouts and tells Darnold to kneel on the ball.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because A, the ocs and offense with no talent massively over achieved the actual results had little to do with bowles.

And B because he would rather have 100 year old vets playing okay than a possible franchise young guy and do poorly.

I just can't wait until Darnold is not on the field by mid season next year because with a weak sched mccown has us at 4-4 or 5-3 and 'in contention'

I also can't wait for when the jets are down by 12 points nearing half time against a team that has lost 9 in a row with the ball on our own 50 with 40 seconds left and 3 timeouts and tells Darnold to kneel on the ball.

On one hand you say the success has nothing to do with Bowles but on the other hand all the bad stuff is his fault. 

On 6/17/2018 at 12:24 PM, Beerfish said:

So basically your answer is they overproduced 2 out of 3 seasons  and youre going to just insist that he can't ever have a good offense. You want to blame Bowles for being clueless on offense and to help your case deprive him off any credit when due.  Offense does well he has nothing to do with it.  Offense doesn't do well, more to the point you predict it will fail and it will be because of Bowles.  The old heads I win, tails you lose logic.  And to back up your agenda you can't wait for Darnold and the offense to fail.  

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

On one hand you say the success has nothing to do with Bowles but on the other hand all the bad stuff is his fault. 

Do you think this fellow is a good head football coach?  Just for the record.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Do you think this fellow is a good head football coach?  Just for the record.

That was never the question or point.  Joe Walton sucked as a HC but was a good OC and O mind.  Calling Bowles O Jeff Fisher like is silly.  And he's nowhere near as bad a HC as you're making him out to be.  Not only has his offenses never been sh*tty outside of year two when everything went to shlt, he's not anything like Rex's O and has never given anyone cause to call him Rex like or a running HC.   It most say it and are dead wrong.  Then again outside of some who loved Parcells here I've never seen a HC liked by Jet fans.  Weeb included.  

Fans would rather blame one central figure than what's usually the real issue.  A lousy roster. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You still believe this? I guess you do because you've said it hundreds of times. What else needs to happen before you realize this has no truth. 

On 6/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, Thai Jet said:

Last year on a non talented Jets team McCown could have easily been 8-8. They were in most of the games they lost. A play here or there and 3 of those "L"s become W's

And a play here or there and the Jets are 2-14 and get to keep their 2nd round picks.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

You still believe this? I guess you do because you've said it hundreds of times. What else needs to happen before you realize this has no truth. 

I am not here often but I have seen him change is mind on anything not obvious. 

Trying to figure out whether the hatred for Bowles is higher/(lower) than then hatred for Adams on this site. We have Jets fans who can’t wait for the team to lose so that their view of Bowles can come true. ? 

In other news, seems like people don’t want a defensive guy as a head coach. Logical conclusion. But then Dan Quinn gets brought up as the alternative to Bowles.

21 hours ago, peebag said:

And a play here or there and the Jets are 2-14 and get to keep their 2nd round picks.

Another DeeBag negative post. Glass is always half empty isn't it?  Terrible way to go thru life.

Archived