Jamal Adams following NFL lessons his father taught him

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Ahem-

BigO replied to Marshmello's topic in New York Jets Message Board

How lucky can you get to have Adams and Big Cat fall to you in 2 of the last 3 drafts. Both these scary monsters should have been scooped up by the time...

And both are dropping the ball. Although I still have high hopes for Big Cat. He has not produced as I thought but he was left out to dry with Mo disappearing on the line.  I would have rather taken Gurley at that spot. We haven’t had a runner like Gurley since Freeman McNeil. It’s long overdue. Still Leo has room to get better. I can now see why Adams fell in the draft. He’s really a one dimensional player. He’s absolutely horrible in coverage. Not exactly the skill set you desire for the position. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Considering ALL the draft day busts that have worn a NY Jets uniform I say give this kid a break the best is yet to come, he's a good player who help this team win a Super Bowl. 

agreed.  People are reacting badly to his huge mouth.  I don't particularly like all the bravado coming out of him before he establishes himself as a dominant player on the field, but hey, that's his generation's mindset.  It's fairly common.  The reality is that in his rookie season, he was just an ordinary safety last year with below average coverage skills and adequate tackling.  He really didn't flash anything special.  But I'm patient.  But I'd expect that all would agree that he has a long long way to go to live up to the hype that comes out of his mouth (all too often). 

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

agreed.  People are reacting badly to his huge mouth.  I don't particularly like all the bravado coming out of him before he establishes himself as a dominant player on the field, but hey, that's his generation's mindset.  It's fairly common.  The reality is that in his rookie season, he was just an ordinary safety last year with below average coverage skills and adequate tackling.  He really didn't flash anything special.  But I'm patient.  But I'd expect that all would agree that he has a long long way to go to live up to the hype that comes out of his mouth (all too often). 

You guys have no idea what the expectations of the coaches were for Adams & if they gave him tons of assignments compared to anyone else in the secondary. He also played alongside another rookie in Maye, Clairborne hasn't finished a season yet where he hasn't missed snaps & the 2nd CB spot was manned by Buster Skrine sometimes. 

Plus, all I read about here is how badly we need a edge pass rusher and how bad our pass rush was last year but we expect our 2 rookie safeties to play like Ronnie Lott & Earl Thomas. Never mind that Lott & Thomas were playing behind incredible Dlineman like Bennett, Charles Haley, and with great CBs in their prime like Sherman & Dion Sanders. And both played on GREAT TEAMS with really good QBs ect. 

Many here thought Milliner, Coples, Pryor, Gholston, were gonna be great but are already disparaging a Jet that made more plays a a rookie than all of those guys combined. Even if Adams turns out to be just "very good" and not great is good enough for this Jet fan who has seen more busts than they have in the NFL football Hall of Fame. 

We're seeing Jets that can play football. You put enough of these guys on the field, find yourself a franchise QB (hopefully Darnold fits that bill), and have a TEAM competing every year for the playoffs. No matter where players are picked in the draft your never hitting 100% on hall of fame worthy players. Our expectations of EVERY HIGH DRAFT PICK are way too high, way too early in their careers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You guys have no idea what the expectations of the coaches were for Adams & if they gave him tons of assignments compared to anyone else in the secondary. He also played alongside another rookie in Maye, Clairborne hasn't finished a season yet where he hasn't missed snaps & the 2nd CB spot was manned by Buster Skrine sometimes. 

Plus, all I read about here is how badly we need a edge pass rusher and how bad our pass rush was last year but we expect our 2 rookie safeties to play like Ronnie Lott & Earl Thomas. Never mind that Lott & Thomas were playing behind incredible Dlineman like Bennett, Charles Haley, and with great CBs in their prime like Sherman & Dion Sanders. And both played on GREAT TEAMS with really good QBs ect. 

Many here thought Milliner, Coples, Pryor, Gholston, were gonna be great but are already disparaging a Jet that made more plays a a rookie than all of those guys combined. Even if Adams turns out to be just "very good" and not great is good enough for this Jet fan who has seen more busts than they have in the NFL football Hall of Fame. 

We're seeing Jets that can play football. You put enough of these guys on the field, find yourself a franchise QB (hopefully Darnold fits that bill), and have a TEAM competing every year for the playoffs. No matter where players are picked in the draft your never hitting 100% on hall of fame worthy players. Our expectations of EVERY HIGH DRAFT PICK are way too high, way too early in their careers.

As I said, I'm hopeful he can elevate his play on the field somewhat close to what his mouth tells us.  Right now his mouth and his play are miles apart. Also, you need to understand that any player who constantly runs his mouth like Adams is going to face the wrath of the fans when his play doesn't even come close to measuring up. So far, that is the case with Adams.  I don't see this year's or last year's other rookies doing that, and the fans are quiet about their performance.  You have to admit that Adams bring this on himself.  Not the brightest bulb TBH.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

He isn't a bust but he was overdrafted by 2 rounds.  Maye is a better safety.

Maye wasn’t as good if you want to go by analytics from PFF. He had 2 interceptions but that doesn’t make him better by any means. 

I think we have a solid safety tandem and both of them will be good to great players.

3 hours ago, BigO said:

And both are dropping the ball. Although I still have high hopes for Big Cat. He has not produced as I thought but he was left out to dry with Mo disappearing on the line.  I would have rather taken Gurley at that spot. We haven’t had a runner like Gurley since Freeman McNeil. It’s long overdue. Still Leo has room to get better. I can now see why Adams fell in the draft. He’s really a one dimensional player. He’s absolutely horrible in coverage. Not exactly the skill set you desire for the position. 

Forgive us if we don't swallow your predictive abilities.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

As I said, I'm hopeful he can elevate his play on the field somewhat close to what his mouth tells us.  Right now his mouth and his play are miles apart. Also, you need to understand that any player who constantly runs his mouth like Adams is going to face the wrath of the fans when his play doesn't even come close to measuring up. So far, that is the case with Adams.  I don't see this year's or last year's other rookies doing that, and the fans are quiet about their performance.  You have to admit that Adams bring this on himself.  Not the brightest bulb TBH.

The bottom line is he was a rookie, on a bad team, with a bad pass rush, playing next to another rookie, and still got recognized as a top rookie in the league. Getting burned by the 2 best TEs in the league (Gronk & Kelsey).

Even Fasano is a decent vet & Miamis WRs were killing us so I'm sure our young safeties were trying to help & got out of position. His career is in its infancy.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The bottom line is he was a rookie, on a bad team, with a bad pass rush, playing next to another rookie, and still got recognized as a top rookie in the league. Getting burned by the 2 best TEs in the league (Gronk & Kelsey).

Even Fasano is a decent vet & Miamis WRs were killing us so I'm sure our young safeties were trying to help & got out of position. His career is in its infancy.

Funny how Maye, a rookie, outplayed Adams by a long shot, and has not been recognized as much for his superior play. Hype outweighs performance. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Funny how Maye, a rookie, outplayed Adams by a long shot, and has not been recognized as much for his superior play. Hype outweighs performance. 

I'd like to see any press that had Maye ranked above Adams for his play last year. Just because Maye had 2 picks he didn't play as many positions & wasn't asked to be as versatile as Adams. Plus now he's not healthy & Adams is practicing in OTAs.

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'd like to see any press that had Maye ranked above Adams for his play last year. Just because Maye had 2 picks he didn't play as many positions & wasn't asked to be as versatile as Adams. Plus now he's not healthy & Adams is practicing in OTAs.

Maye’s coverage skills were clearly better than Adams who was burnt several times throughout the year. Adams was picked 6th in the draft. Let that sink into your brain ? cells. Harrison Smith, the best safety in football, was picked 29th. Adams is no Harrison Smith, no Cam Chancellor.  I’d take Budda Baker over him in a heartbeat and he was drafted 36th in round 2. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I don’t think you can even classify Adams as a safety. He’s more of a hybrid LB that can cover a bit better than Darron Lee but isn’t big enough to play the LB role. Bowles likes these tweeners which is another reason he signed Wilcox. He’ll put 4 of these safties on the field at once. Overkill.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Jetster said:

His career is in its infancy.

One thing’s for sure. His mouth isn’t. Here’s Jamal yapping away on how great he is and how he’ll make the pro bowl. Talk is cheap son. All that talk and $2.75 will get you on the train. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Maye wasn’t as good if you want to go by analytics from PFF. He had 2 interceptions but that doesn’t make him better by any means. 

I think we have a solid safety tandem and both of them will be good to great players.

PFF has Adams as "above average" they were not as kind to Maye who earned a "poor" rating. 

But Maye has 2 picks so he's better ???

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Larz said:

PFF has Adams as "above average" they were not as kind to Maye who earned a "poor" rating. 

But Maye has 2 picks so he's better ???

Does PFF factor in trash talking in their analysis? Above average with all the trash talking. No, it can’t be.

On June 16, 2018 at 10:06 PM, Larz said:

Jeez, imagine if the kid didn't make the all rookie team and a pro bowl alternate and play slot corner, outside corner and edge rusher as well as safety racking up 83 tackles, 2 sacks and a forced fumble 

Heck our savior, Shane Ray, got 1 sack in 8 games last season and is up to 3 wrist surgeries including 1 more that will put him out until September 

Jets fans are weird 

You think that's weird ... When I first read this I thought it said Shane Ray has had 3 anal surgeries

???

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

I wish I could say you will all eat crow when this kid turns into a perennial all star... But the truth is your words will be forgotten and you will have moved on to attack the next rookie class saying that they are terrible and overdrafted because they can't run fast enough or break tackles or whatever else you can drum up on the negative side of the scouting reports...

I like this kids attitude and wish that more of the players had this drive in their blood, but truth is that there are more Wilkerson's out there that will skate by for a contract then kids with drive like Jamal's. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I wish I could say you will all eat crow when this kid turns into a perennial all star... But the truth is your words will be forgotten and you will have moved on to attack the next rookie class saying that they are terrible and overdrafted because they can't run fast enough or break tackles or whatever else you can drum up on the negative side of the scouting reports...

I like this kids attitude and wish that more of the players had this drive in their blood, but truth is that there are more Wilkerson's out there that will skate by for a contract then kids with drive like Jamal's. 

I will be here.  I like Adams.  I just did not particularly like him at 6. I don't think anybody ever called him terrible, but he can't run particularly fast  and to be a safety worth 6, he should be transcendent.  I like Adams attitude okay, and I don't mind his mouth, but if his leadership was worth so much we would not have had to clean out the locker-room and Wilkerson would not have been late to meetings. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

what are you implying 

I’m implying that as a box safety, his primary skill set revolves around run support and he’s done a solid job of that. His scouting report said that he also had the ability to cover but he’s obviously still developing that into his game. As a box safety I do not expect his weaker ability to be fully molded in his rookie season. You guys are killing him like he’s a 14 year old veteran....all I’m saying is the time to roast the guy is not now. Everyone is saying “I told you so!”  about Adams before his career even fully kicks into gear. It’s premature and holds no weight if we were to look at his numbers as a whole.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Isn’t and didn’t have a better rookie year and wasn’t ask to play near the amount of posistions Adam was asked to play and also gave up a lot of big plays himself .. but he had few ints so let’s hype it . Although by nfl standards both safeties had decent years . Jamal is def the better player 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 6/17/2018 at 3:48 PM, BigO said:

One thing’s for sure. His mouth isn’t. Here’s Jamal yapping away on how great he is and how he’ll make the pro bowl. Talk is cheap son. All that talk and $2.75 will get you on the train. 

Its kind of ironic you have Namath as your icon and say this about Adams. Before Namath won the SB he was a trash talker as well , he backeed it up after the fact , let's give Adams a chance to do that before we crucify him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m implying that as a box safety, his primary skill set revolves around run support and he’s done a solid job of that. His scouting report said that he also had the ability to cover but he’s obviously still developing that into his game. As a box safety I do not expect his weaker ability to be fully molded in his rookie season. You guys are killing him like he’s a 14 year old veteran....all I’m saying is the time to roast the guy is not now. Everyone is saying “I told you so!”  about Adams before his career even fully kicks into gear. It’s premature and holds no weight if we were to look at his numbers as a whole.

What if I told you that the Jamal Adams you watched this year is exactly the Jamal Adams that played at LSU and you’ve seen exactly everything that Jamal Adams is physically capable of doing on a football field.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The problem with this, as others have pointed out, is that taking a box safety at 6 is a really poor use of resources. I also don’t think the ability to cover can be “molded” by experience. Either you can do it or you can’t.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It's weird the Jets would draft another safety high after the Pryor experiment. Hope he improves or just another bad high pick. Same with Lee, it could be two bad picks. Williams hasn't been worthy either..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

But Lee and Williams have not produced to their draft hype. It's getting old with picking the wrong players that high. They're better off trading down if this team can't pick top 10 players...

• Sympathy 2

I don’t think you can even classify Adams as a safety. He’s more of a hybrid LB that can cover a bit better than Darron Lee but isn’t big enough to play the LB role. Bowles likes these tweeners which is another reason he signed Wilcox. He’ll put 4 of these safties on the field at once. Overkill.
Yet Rex did this with UDFA's and such...

Jets fans hate any player with a semblance of personality, so the comments here don't surprise me.

******* weirdos

I do like his positive attitude as I did Rex's but eventually you don't hear it anymore if the results aren't there.