Cimini: Former Jets GM Faults Others for his Failures

JetNation

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We went 8-8 with a garbage roster and Geno the year before.  2014 happened because Idzik kept whiffing in the draft and chose to sit on $30 million in cap space

2013 was a rebuild too, we just overachieved and rather than be suckered into a false pretense of what the team was they stuck to their guns which was to rebuild and develop young players.  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, August said:

2013 was a rebuild too, we just overachieved and rather than be suckered into a false pretense of what the team was they stuck to their guns which was to rebuild and develop young players.  

Idzik was just a dope,  besides striking out in the draft he chose to sign a 35 year old Vick over drafting another qb when guys like Carr, Teddy and Jimmy G were available 

DRC was hot garbage on the Giants but we definitely could have signed Revis who still had a couple years left

On June 21, 2018 at 7:10 PM, T0mShane said:

I’m not doubting your sourcing, and there are a million reasons to crush Idzik’s performance here, but I can’t imagine Idzik losing a player because of a procedural error. Perhaps this was just something they told Rex after the fact to calm him down, like when a parent tells a kid they can’t bring the pony home from the farm because it’s not for sale.

No, it was a big screw up.  This comes from the DRC side, not the Jets side.  There's no reason for the DRC side to make up a story about that.  There was every reason for the Jets not to tell the whole story since it makes the organization look really incompetent.  

Either way, it doesn't matter now.  The Jets have Sam Darnold and the future looks bright.  Mac will get the credit when Darnold turns out to be good, even though it was sh*t luck.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, Philc1 said:

I actually agreed with Idzik there and still do. DRC sucked on the Giants I don’t get how he would have been such a difference maker here and the giants had a pass rush to help him out

We should have signed Revis in 2014.  That and signing Desean Jackson would have prevented the 4-12 season

to be fair to Idzik the owner wanted no part of a revis reunion in 2014 so he didn't have a chance to sign him.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, August said:

Idzik did many things right but the screwup of that draft w/ 12 picks and his sabotaging of rex doomed him and he'll never get another chance to be a GM.  Those moves set this franchise back and we are finally recovering.  we should at least be competitive this year and I expect we'll be a playoff team by 2019.

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He didn't?  Where do you get that from?  That reluctant owner was charged with tampering and gave Revis $70M a year later.

That was a very different time when the owner was trying to save face and do anything to get the franchise back on track.  Remember, the owner wanted him traded.  he was tired of the holdouts and the negotiations, he was only traded in 2013.  In 2014 before going to the Pats Revis reached out to the jets wanting to come back and the Jets told him no thanks.  a year later things changed, Woody softened and they brought him back.

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That was a very different time when the owner was trying to save face and do anything to get the franchise back on track.  Remember, the owner wanted him traded.  he was tired of the holdouts and the negotiations, he was only traded in 2013.  In 2014 before going to the Pats Revis reached out to the jets wanting to come back and the Jets told him no thanks.  a year later things changed, Woody softened and they brought him back.

2013 to 2014 "only a year later" 

2014 to 2015 "a very different time"

The only difference was cap space.  There was plenty of talk about him coming back to the Jets and how Idzik would look like genius, getting a first and keeping him. 

All this talk about the 2014 CB situation and no mention of Vontae Davis?  Idzik was all in for Vontae Davis.  I think he stayed with the Colts during the legal tampering period and Idzik was not quick to decide on a 2nd choice.  In fact, I am not sure he ever recovered from Davis sticking with the Colts.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:51 AM, nyjunc said:

to be fair to Idzik the owner wanted no part of a revis reunion in 2014 so he didn't have a chance to sign him.

Idzik did many things right but the screwup of that draft w/ 12 picks and his sabotaging of rex doomed him and he'll never get another chance to be a GM.  Those moves set this franchise back and we are finally recovering.  we should at least be competitive this year and I expect we'll be a playoff team by 2019.

He never sabotaged Rex, he was rebuilding with a roster of young players and trying to develop talent. That team was not going to be a playoff team. The real issue is that Rex was on a different time table than Idzik, Rex needed to win in order to keep his job, while Idzik was in rebuild mode and that never was going to work. They should’ve either kept Rex and Tanny and gave them another year or two. Or fire both back in 2012. 

As for the 12 draft picks there are variables in play, like for example had Idzik stuck around a lot of those 12 players would’ve stuck around a lot longer and a few more might’ve been able to develop into good/decent players. What if Macc never saw anything in Enunwa, he would’ve been just another “bad draft pick”. Pryor was shaky in his rookie year but came on strong in year 2, and then had a bad 3rd year, if Idzik was around they hold onto him longer simply because they have a vested interest in his development, look at Darron Lee is he that much better of a 1st round pick? No but he’s still here because Macc isn’t giving up on him. Amaro had a promising rookie year, then missed an entire season the next year and gets cut by year 3? Why didn’t they at least give him a shot in his 3rd year? See my point? 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The only difference was cap space.  There was plenty of talk about him coming back to the Jets and how Idzik would look like genius, getting a first and keeping him. 

The owner didn’t want Revis back, it was only after the outrage by fans and media about the Jets not bringing back Revis that Woody changed his mind. Dropping Revis when we did in hindsight was the correct move he had 2 more decent seasons afterwards and has been done since. 

23 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It was a very different time w/ a different GM who had failed and he wanted the new regime to make a big splash.  Revis wanted to come back in 2014, Woody said no thanks.

21 hours ago, August said:

He never sabotaged Rex, he was rebuilding with a roster of young players and trying to develop talent. That team was not going to be a playoff team. The real issue is that Rex was on a different time table than Idzik, Rex needed to win in order to keep his job, while Idzik was in rebuild mode and that never was going to work. They should’ve either kept Rex and Tanny and gave them another year or two. Or fire both back in 2012. 

As for the 12 draft picks there are variables in play, like for example had Idzik stuck around a lot of those 12 players would’ve stuck around a lot longer and a few more might’ve been able to develop into good/decent players. What if Macc never saw anything in Enunwa, he would’ve been just another “bad draft pick”. Pryor was shaky in his rookie year but came on strong in year 2, and then had a bad 3rd year, if Idzik was around they hold onto him longer simply because they have a vested interest in his development, look at Darron Lee is he that much better of a 1st round pick? No but he’s still here because Macc isn’t giving up on him. Amaro had a promising rookie year, then missed an entire season the next year and gets cut by year 3? Why didn’t they at least give him a shot in his 3rd year? See my point? 

he absolutely sabotaged Rex, he wanted Rex gone in the worst way.  he was miserable when the Jets ended 2013 on a high note and he was forced to keep him another year.  His plan was to get rid of him after 2014 but he didn't realize he was also going to get fired.

if those other picks in that draft were talented and had the potential to be good players they would have been picked up by others and succeeding by now.  Not a single one is a starting player elsewhere.  In an absolutely loaded draft we got one decent WR w/ 12 picks.  What a great job by Idzik!

Idzik was best at doing nothing - that cleared cap space and netted a couple of comp picks - his best move

The Revis trade was offset by the Milner pick, not only was there injury history but you do not replace a potential HOF CB with a draft pick on day 1, too much pressure and it showed (bust and wasted pick) - the offense needed help and got Geno, who may have been good value in the second but again, a bad personal situation since the HC had a fkn tattoo of Marky.  If Idzik had drafted a TE, OL and or RB, maybe even a S in the first couple of rounds it would have set up the 2014 draft, and it might have showed there was a plan to build the roster - instead we had lottery picks and that showed too...

On 6/27/2018 at 6:01 AM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Idzik was best at doing nothing - that cleared cap space and netted a couple of comp picks - his best move

The Revis trade was offset by the Milner pick, not only was there injury history but you do not replace a potential HOF CB with a draft pick on day 1, too much pressure and it showed (bust and wasted pick) - the offense needed help and got Geno, who may have been good value in the second but again, a bad personal situation since the HC had a fkn tattoo of Marky.  If Idzik had drafted a TE, OL and or RB, maybe even a S in the first couple of rounds it would have set up the 2014 draft, and it might have showed there was a plan to build the roster - instead we had lottery picks and that showed too...

Only defense of the Milner pick is the guys we passed on for him also weren’t good.  Tyler Eifert was a one year wonder who is always hurt and sucks and Chance Warmack was a bust for the titans

On 6/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The fact that he wasn't around for phase 2 of his plan is proof of why you see so few GM's attempt it. The competitive rebuild is the way they play it unless the owner buys into losing for 2 years 

The worst aspect of the draft for me is idzik played WR but couldn't scout one 

If you really think about it, Idzik actually was great. His drafting was fantastic and smart. His FA signings and non signings were brilliant. We just let go of him to quickly. We would have won a SB by now with his brilliant drafting. I particularly like how he passed on Garrapolo, Carr and Bridgewater because he took and saw the greatness that was Geno Smith for a full season.

I love how the biggest Macc detractors are also the biggest Idzik supporters. As if its not possible that they both suck at their job, and they were wrong for thinking Idzik was, or ever could be a good GM.

15 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If you really think about it, Idzik actually was great. His drafting was fantastic and smart. His FA signings and non signings were brilliant. We just let go of him to quickly. We would have won a SB by now with his brilliant drafting. I particularly like how he passed on Garrapolo, Carr and Bridgewater because he took and saw the greatness that was Geno Smith for a full season.

I love how the biggest Macc detractors are also the biggest Idzik supporters. As if its not possible that they both suck at their job, and they were wrong for thinking Idzik was, or ever could be a good GM.

Fits TS and bateman to a T, lol 

22 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

5 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Fits TS and bateman to a T, lol 

Finally, they meet.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The fact that he wasn't around for phase 2 of his plan is proof of why you see so few GM's attempt it. The competitive rebuild is the way they play it unless the owner buys into losing for 2 years 

The worst aspect of the draft for me is idzik played WR but couldn't scout one 

Can't rebuild when 16 of 19 draft picks are off the team before completing their rookie contacts - the Idzik, Rex relationship ended them both, that 8-8 season in 2013 sealed the deal and the fans had enough, the banners worked and Woody had to do something

10 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Can't rebuild when 16 of 19 draft picks are off the team before completing their rookie contacts - the Idzik, Rex relationship ended them both, that 8-8 season in 2013 sealed the deal and the fans had enough, the banners worked and Woody had to do something

Yeah it was bizarre even for the Jets lol

Rex knew woody wasn't down for the long rebuild and then he stated using the press to make his case. 

I remember thinking idzik had a plan until I saw someone here point out that you can't trade comp picks. 

Then he got his ass kicked in free agency, the agents complained that idzik said he was going to make a big offer, then tried the wine and dine drawn out recruitment and other teams moved at lightning speed. 

There is no quote in ciminis hack job, but I'm sure idzik blamed Rex. 

Hey idzik, the head coach was kinda under your jurisdiction lol

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yeah it was bizarre even for the Jets lol

Rex knew woody wasn't down for the long rebuild and then he stated using the press to make his case. 

I remember thinking idzik had a plan until I saw someone here point out that you can't trade comp picks. 

Then he got his ass kicked in free agency, the agents complained that idzik said he was going to make a big offer, then tried the wine and dine drawn out recruitment and other teams moved at lightning speed. 

There is no quote in ciminis hack job, but I'm sure idzik blamed Rex. 

Hey idzik, the head coach was kinda under your jurisdiction lol

The Jets head coach is very much *not* under the jurisdiction of the Jets GM.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:42 PM, varjet said:

I think we overestimate what a GM alone can do when drafting.

Drafting right requires an army of people who know what they are doing.  Tanenbaum and Idzik both come from the business side.  Some GMs like Newsome come from the Scouting aide.  

Tannenbaum, Idzik and initially Macc all were saddled with the old Jet scouts-Bradway, Bauer, Clinkscales.  These guys are awful.  Only Mangini was able to push through them and find players.   With their writeups, the Jets drafted like garbage.  

Only lately does it appear that the Jets are scouting football players.  My cynical theory is that the GMs were "encouraged" by ownership to keep the existing scouts, who were under contract, around.

Just my theory.  

It's reality. Let's now hope that we hold onto heimerdinger for at least next off season, which is super crucial creating a window to win while Darnold is on his rookie deal 

On 6/18/2018 at 2:42 PM, varjet said:

I think we overestimate what a GM alone can do when drafting.

Drafting right requires an army of people who know what they are doing.  Tanenbaum and Idzik both come from the business side.  Some GMs like Newsome come from the Scouting aide.  

Tannenbaum, Idzik and initially Macc all were saddled with the old Jet scouts-Bradway, Bauer, Clinkscales.  These guys are awful.  Only Mangini was able to push through them and find players.   With their writeups, the Jets drafted like garbage.  

Only lately does it appear that the Jets are scouting football players.  My cynical theory is that the GMs were "encouraged" by ownership to keep the existing scouts, who were under contract, around.

Just my theory.  

The guys that were so awful they led the greatest stretch in franchise history and we've been awful since they were let go.

With this crew we drafted a lock HOFer (first since the 70s by the way), won a divorce title in Brady era (only team to win besides NE in years Brady was primary starter), made numbers playoff apps, multiple title games, drafted numerous all pros (go check how many all pros we drafted from 1960-2000) yet all we do is bash those guys.  It's so silly and uninformed.

And I love the Mangini love.  Don't you think if Mangini was the one responsible he would have been hired in someone's front office by now?  And did you see his great drafts in Cleveland?

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The guys that were so awful they led the greatest stretch in franchise history and we've been awful since they were let go.

With this crew we drafted a lock HOFer (first since the 70s by the way), won a divorce title in Brady era (only team to win besides NE in years Brady was primary starter), made numbers playoff apps, multiple title games, drafted numerous all pros (go check how many all pros we drafted from 1960-2000) yet all we do is bash those guys.  It's so silly and uninformed.

And I love the Mangini love.  Don't you think if Mangini was the one responsible he would have been hired in someone's front office by now?  And did you see his great drafts in Cleveland?

Mangini is so highly thought of by NFL front offices he currently has a gig filling in for Matt Millen on Fox Sports

Archived