Case for Teddy?

j4jets

On 6/20/2018 at 11:49 AM, Dcat said:

why in the world would he want to sign with the Jets when it is clear the future is Sam Darnold?  I seriously doubt Teddy will be anxious to sign a contract that would wind up making him a career back up.  Teddy wants and deserves a chance to start somewhere else.  He's not signing here again.  

In fairness, Fitz re-signed when it was "clear" (at the time) the future was Christian Hackenberg.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is not really that people want to ship him out the door as much as the situation basically stating that is the best course for him. We signed Bridgewater to a one year deal, and then were able to draft Darnold.

In this situation, there is very little reasonable in terms of scenarios where we can keep Bridgewater.

Even if he started and played decent, we wouldnt likely sign him, as someone else would offer him more money.

Even if he stays healthy and holds a clipboard for a year, her has likely done enough to get a starting chance elsewhere.

Best scenario for Bridgewater is to stay healthy and show decent enough in training camp to get us some trade offers.

And in terms of the OP constantly bringing up other QBs that recovered from injury it is not apples to apples. His injury was horrific, one of the worst knee injuries in NFL history.  It is actually amazing he has recovered enough to walk.

This about sums it up. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

I would start him if Darnold is not ready, and see what is there.  I would also keep him as a #2.  Philly doesn't win the Super Bowl last year without a solid #2.  This league has gotten to the point that without 2 QB's in many cases, you have no shot.

The Jets won't be in the Super Bowl this year. And even if they were, McCown put up better numbers than Bridgewater ever has in his career, so the team is okay in the second QB department. 

The only way Bridgewater is on the team next year is if the Jets' offer to him to be the team's backup is the best offer he can get. Or, in other words, if he impressed no one enough to compete for a starting job somewhere. 

Also, the reality is that whether or not you would start Bridgewater, the team is not preparing him to start at all. McCown gets starter reps exclusively, Darnold gets the most reps and a bunch with the starters, while Bridgewater barely gets a snap with the starters. Teddy is here on a flier as an insurance policy. If McCown gets thru the preseason healthy and Darnold looks competent, Bridgewater becomes expendable. No one is talking about trading Teddy now but, at that point when McCown and Darnold look like they can handle the QB load, camp #1 would generally be happy to trade him for a third-round pick or better. Trading him before the season gets the team that pick plus $5M in cap space (i.e.: enough to sign a backup QB). 

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Actually, I can say your argument is flawed.  Had the Redskins not drafted Cousins as well as Griffin, they would have been even worse off.  As it was, Cousins took his team to the playoffs. 

You're wrong.  

Not only are you wrong, but you completely mischaracterized what I said. As I said, the Jets situation is very different than Philly or Washington.

1. The Jets have 3 QBs, not 2. 

2. Bridgewater is under contract for 2018, nothing more.  There is little reason to play him in 2018.  This season is to get Darnold ready.  The only reason to play Bridgewater - as you point out - is to increase his trade value.  What round pick do we have to get to make it worth even the slightest dent in Darnold's prgress?

3. Nobody is saying they should not have drafted Cousins, but does anybody think Washington played the situation correctly?  Is there a single person on the planet that does not realize that the Redskins should have traded Cousins while they had the chance? You could argue they would have been better off without Cousins - they would have saved around $50M in cap the past 2 years and could have tried to find their QB of the future instead of ending up with Alex Smith and another big cap charge.

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There is literally more chance of Darnold throwing for 5000 yards than TB having that season. He was never that type of QB, and his knee injury precludes any chance of that now. Plus the Jets are NOT starting Bridgewater. Pretty muvh ever.

Brady has been much better AFTER his knee injury than before. That excuse is just that, an excuse. And I posed a hypothetical scenario, regardless of if you agree it’s realistic or not. That’s another discussion. 

11 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Bridgewater with more offensive talent in Minnesota never came close to those numbers! What are you smoking? McCown is better then him!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bridgewater sucks cuz he made the PB in his sophomore year? Are you really suggesting TB had to throw for 4K yards in his second season to be considered a good player? 

11 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Bridgewater ain't Brady or Brees! He couldn't carry either guys jock

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nor did I even remotely say he will (would). 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're wrong.  

Not only are you wrong, but you completely mischaracterized what I said. As I said, the Jets situation is very different than Philly or Washington.

1. The Jets have 3 QBs, not 2. 

2. Bridgewater is under contract for 2018, nothing more.  There is little reason to play him in 2018.  This season is to get Darnold ready.  The only reason to play Bridgewater - as you point out - is to increase his trade value.  What round pick do we have to get to make it worth even the slightest dent in Darnold's prgress?

3. Nobody is saying they should not have drafted Cousins, but does anybody think Washington played the situation correctly?  Is there a single person on the planet that does not realize that the Redskins should have traded Cousins while they had the chance? You could argue they would have been better off without Cousins - they would have saved around $50M in cap the past 2 years and could have tried to find their QB of the future instead of ending up with Alex Smith and another big cap charge.

Well, I think you are wrong, so there you have it. You're point in number three is not what I am talking about at all.  It is about the fact that even though they spent tons of capital to get 'their guy,' they still drafted another potential starter.  There is nothing wrong with having two guys that can start.

Darnold will not be starting.  So, if by this tragic  dent in the progress you are talking about the time he loses in a pre-season game, well then I guess we will just agree to disagree about such a thing.

3 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets won't be in the Super Bowl this year. And even if they were, McCown put up better numbers than Bridgewater ever has in his career, so the team is okay in the second QB department. 

So, you would rather trot out McCown for another season of starting?  I would say no thanks to that.  There is no point.  Bridgewater would be better served to play, but again, we will agree to disagree.

At the end of the day it would be more entertaining to watch Teddy start vs Josh, assuming both are healthy and playing well, Teddy would give the Jets  a better chance to win and hope for more

The talent on this team with Josh starting has a ceiling of 6, maybe 8 wins - we have seen this show for the last three years, no disrespect to Josh, he is a capable starter and a great mentor for Sam, just not the lightning this team would need to make a run

Teddy and/or Sam starting - who knows, could catch fire and make a run, worst case setting up an entertaining sequal in 2019

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, Fitz re-signed when it was "clear" (at the time) the future was Christian Hackenberg.

"the future is Hackenberg". 

I can honestly say I have never seen that comment before.  There was never anything clear about Hackenberg.  It was never clear in the first place why he was drafted at all.  

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

Brady has been much better AFTER his knee injury than before. That excuse is just that, an excuse. And I posed a hypothetical scenario, regardless of if you agree it’s realistic or not. That’s another discussion. 

1. Brady is a drop back qb.

2. Brady only suffered an ACL and I believe it was not even his plant leg. Doctors were considering amputating Bridgewater’s leg

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, you would rather trot out McCown for another season of starting?  I would say no thanks to that.  There is no point.  Bridgewater would be better served to play, but again, we will agree to disagree.

The point is to try to win games and McCown is simply a better qb

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

Bridgewaters knee is NOT an excuse. His own team, that pretty much hated Keenum didnt even try to sign him, that tells you something. Brady's injury was nothing like what Bridgewaters. It is not an exaggeration to state it is one of the worst knee injuries in NFL history.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sounds good except for the fact that the game manager never threw for more than 3100 yards or 14 TDs before his knee injury.  

The if pigs had wings they could fly approach doesnt quite work

He literally only played for two years. And still made the PB. Last Jets QB to do that? Definitely not McCown or Sanchez. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

1. Brady is a drop back qb.

2. Brady only suffered an ACL and I believe it was not even his plant leg. Doctors were considering amputating Bridgewater’s leg

Brady tore ACL and MCL in his planting leg.

Frank Gore tore both his ACLs and tore his left knee meniscus. In college. He’s done well for himself. 

All I know is that TB was practicing 13 months after his surgery. It’ll be almost 2 entire years when the season starts for for TBs surgery. He’s had more than adaquate time to rehab. Plus he played last year, albeit a few snaps. And all reports have indicated that he is lighting it up in practices. To me, that point alone makes the “he’ll never be the same” argument look extremely weak. 

49 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Bridgewaters knee is NOT an excuse. His own team, that pretty much hated Keenum didnt even try to sign him, that tells you something. Brady's injury was nothing like what Bridgewaters. It is not an exaggeration to state it is one of the worst knee injuries in NFL history.

Yet he’s been “turning heads” and has played a few NFL snaps. Any indication he isn’t himself? So far, none. 

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Nope. 

I've stated here many times, in many threads, that I would start McCown three or four games to start the season and then hand the reins to Sam. Those first three games are just too clumped together, and I'd prefer McCown be back there while the OL's zone blocking scheme and new offense gets up to speed (another reason not to have Bridgewater start the season). 

The player best served to play is Darnold, who was a much better prospect than Bridgewater coming out of college and remains a much better prospect today. 

And you continue to ignore the reality of the situation; that as far as the Jets are concerned, Bridgewater is an afterthought when it comes to starting. McCown gets nothing but starting reps, Darnold gets the most reps overall with a bunch coming with the starters. I would think that would be a part of your thought process. It's really between McCown and Darnold as long as they're both healthy. McCown to break in the season and Darnold from there works fine for me. 

12 hours ago, j4jets said:

You are trying to equate the severity of the two injuries that were light years apart in severity.  This discussion has become ridiculous.  You are grasping at straws now.

Brady tore ACL and MCL in his planting leg.

Frank Gore tore both his ACLs and tore his left knee meniscus. In college. He’s done well for himself. 

All I know is that TB was practicing 13 months after his surgery. It’ll be almost 2 entire years when the season starts for for TBs surgery. He’s had more than adaquate time to rehab. Plus he played last year, albeit a few snaps. And all reports have indicated that he is lighting it up in practices. To me, that point alone makes the “he’ll never be the same” argument look extremely weak. 

Bridgewater was a mobile qb. If almost losing a leg doesn’t affect a mobile who scrambles ok

Yet he’s been “turning heads” and has played a few NFL snaps. Any indication he isn’t himself? So far, none. 

Turning heads how?  Darnold by all indications has outplayed Bridgewater in practice and he’s 20 with 0 nfl experience 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Nope. 

I've stated here many times, in many threads, that I would start McCown three or four games to start the season and then hand the reins to Sam. Those first three games are just too clumped together, and I'd prefer McCown be back there while the OL's zone blocking scheme and new offense gets up to speed (another reason not to have Bridgewater start the season). 

The player best served to play is Darnold, who was a much better prospect than Bridgewater coming out of college and remains a much better prospect today. 

And you continue to ignore the reality of the situation; that as far as the Jets are concerned, Bridgewater is an afterthought when it comes to starting. McCown gets nothing but starting reps, Darnold gets the most reps overall with a bunch coming with the starters. I would think that would be a part of your thought process. It's really between McCown and Darnold as long as they're both healthy. McCown to break in the season and Darnold from there works fine for me. 

Well, I guess we disagree.  I would start Bridgewater for three or four games and hand the reins over to Sam...if he is ready and deserves it.  I also do not have a problem with sitting Darnold for a whole season.  Let Bridgewater and McCown take it the whole season.

I don't see any such reality, but if that is how you see it, so be it.  At least, if Bowles was an actual coach, he should be looking at ALL the possible scenarios, one that includes Bridgewater starting.

But hey, I think we have run this disagreement into the ground.  Some of you guys see it one way, some of us see it as another.  So be it.

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, that worked well last year.

And no, McCown is simply not a better QB than Bridgewater, but whatever.  Have it your way.

I love how you guys act like Bridgewater was Donovan McNabb before the horrific leg injury

All this other stuff aside; The trade deadline is October 30;  We have a TON of time before trading Bridgewater.  Who knows what could happen in the first month of the season.  Maybe Brady goes down, maybe another team with playoff aspirations loses their starter.  If Bridgewater is playing well, let him play.  Let him showcase what he can do.  It could even net us a 2nd rounder. 

I just disagree with this whole notion that Bridgewater should not start.  Makes no sense, especially if he is playing well.  Remember the concept of the best players play?  IF, and I cannot capitalize IF any larger; if it is Bridgewater, he should start. 

I think Darnold would better be served with clipboard in hand for a season.  NO reason to rush this along.  We have all waited almost 50 years; what's one more season to let the kid sit, watch, digest, build a better O-Line to keep him safe, and build that desire to get in there. 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yay the coach and GM  who are trying to trade Teddy said he looked good throwing in shorts and a T-shirt 

I see....Darnold has been outplaying him apparently in shorts and a T-shirt, and has been praised, but the praise by REPORTERS and the coach and GM does not count.

GOT IT AGENDA MAN!!!!!

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

You are trying to equate the severity of the two injuries that were light years apart in severity.  This discussion has become ridiculous.  You are grasping at straws now.

Frank Gore tore ACL in both knees and a meniscus tear while in college. And he’s an RB. A QB doesn’t rely on his knee strength nearly as much, unless you think he does? 

Just to be sure, we are talking about Teddy. He’s not RG3. 

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

All this other stuff aside; The trade deadline is October 30;  We have a TON of time before trading Bridgewater.  Who knows what could happen in the first month of the season.  Maybe Brady goes down, maybe another team with playoff aspirations loses their starter.  If Bridgewater is playing well, let him play.  Let him showcase what he can do.  It could even net us a 2nd rounder. 

I just disagree with this whole notion that Bridgewater should not start.  Makes no sense, especially if he is playing well.  Remember the concept of the best players play?  IF, and I cannot capitalize IF any larger; if it is Bridgewater, he should start. 

I think Darnold would better be served with clipboard in hand for a season.  NO reason to rush this along.  We have all waited almost 50 years; what's one more season to let the kid sit, watch, digest, build a better O-Line to keep him safe, and build that desire to get in there. 

There hasn't been a top three QB go an entire season without starting a game in the last 50 years (at least). Sam Darnold isn't going to be the first. Despite your being unable to see it, they are clearly preparing him to start sooner than later while simultaneously severely restricting Teddy's first team reps. 

Look for Darnold to start a preseason game or two while Bridgewater gets the bulk of his work in game four. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Bridgewater was a mobile qb. If almost losing a leg doesn’t affect a mobile who scrambles ok

Mobile? He’s definitely a QB sneaking type but far from mobile. He’s basically like Fitz with far superior passing talent, rushing 2-3 times a game for 15 yards on average. That’s not a mobile QB. 

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I love how you guys act like Bridgewater was Donovan McNabb before the horrific leg injury

I’m acting like TB was just like TB before his injury. 

36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yay the coach and GM  who are trying to trade Teddy said he looked good throwing in shorts and a T-shirt 

I must’ve missed the memo where we hired Manish to be our HC or GM. 

54 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

There is not enough tape to know what he is, but at least there is a fighting chance

Teddy, first 4 years (2 injured) played in 30 games, 6,150 passing yards with 28 TD's, 22 INT's and a 64.7% completion rate (2018 Jets will be his 5th season, he is 25 years old)

Josh, first 4 years (Arizona) played in 33 games, 5,431 passing yards with 25 TD's, 29 INT's and a 57.8% completion rate (11 seasons later we know what we have)

I agree the Jets have shown no signs this will happen but hard to argue that Teddy does not deserve a chance to start if healthy.  Why not give Teddy a chance if he is plays well in camp and preseason? 

31 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Frank Gore tore ACL in both knees and a meniscus tear while in college. And he’s an RB. A QB doesn’t rely on his knee strength nearly as much, unless you think he does? 

Just to be sure, we are talking about Teddy. He’s not RG3. 

They strongly considered amputation.  Let's not be comparing this injury to others.  It's pointless and it doesn''t support your position. Let it rest.  Darnold is the future. teddy is on a one-season stop-over to try to resurect his career.  He'll either be traded for peanuts before the trade deadline or will serve as a temporary starter or back-up before he becomes a free agent. 

Archived