Thomas Jones is in Luke Cage?!?

Creepy Lurker

A few random things about Thomas Jones....

Jones has said that he has decided to donate his brain to the Sports Legacy Institute, which studies the link between sports and brain trauma, for research upon his death. In January 2017, Jones stated that if he had to do it over, he would not play football due to the physical consequences. He holds the Jets record for most rushing touchdowns in a single season (14 in 2009.  Jones has become an actor, and appeared in Being Mary Jane on BET, Straight Outta Compton, and Luke Cage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jones_(American_football)

On 6/23/2018 at 2:46 AM, jetstream23 said:

Jones has said that he has decided to donate his brain to the Sports Legacy Institute, which studies the link between sports and brain trauma, for research upon his death. In January 2017, Jones stated that if he had to do it over, he would not play football due to the physical consequences. He holds the Jets record for most rushing touchdowns in a single season (14 in 2009.  Jones has become an actor, and appeared in Being Mary Jane on BET, Straight Outta Compton, and Luke Cage.

Thank you...

IMO Jones' statement about football is quite sobering..

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This ... That being said .. i loved TJ as a Jet .. true professional .. brought it every game

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with you 100%..................

That is why TJ's comment was so surprising because he was tough and professional all the time, and for him to say he wouldn't play because of potential brain damage was extremely telling....

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree with you 100%..................

That is why TJ's comment was so surprising because he was tough and professional all the time, and for him to say he wouldn't play because of potential brain damage was extremely telling....

Not dissing jones, belittling any of these guys suffering brain damage, or denying the risk... but it's easy to talk when you're not putting a paycheck on the line. It's interesting that no elite player, at the top of their game, is walking away from the league (and big contract) and citing brain health. Sure plenty have walked when they still had a little in the tank... but nobody walks away from the mega contracts--these guys instead have their epiphany after they are past their prime/out of the league. Again, not relevant to Jones as we didn't know then what we know now. I'm talking about today. Just goes to show that a lot of it comes down to $$$, like most things in life. 

When/if a superstar at the peak of his prowess walks that will be a serious PR nightmare for the league.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:46 AM, jetstream23 said:

Far easier to say after cashing the checks.

18 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This ... That being said .. i loved TJ as a Jet .. true professional .. brought it every game

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

he was a good player, a good locker room guy that always played hard but unfortunately late in 2009 he was banged up and almost useless.  When Greene went down w/ the injury the first series of the 2nd half of the 2009 title game we were done.

13 hours ago, roscoeword said:

remember when we thought Shawn Green was going to be great, as he replaced Jones? you never know with running backs.

Greene saved us in 2009 when Jones was struggling late in that year, we don't make the title game w/o Greene and we lost all hope of winning it after Greene left that game and Jones was back in.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:46 PM, jetstream23 said:

Has there ever been a player’s brain tested that has not tested positive for CTE?

too politically incorrect to present a neurologist with ten brains—5 who have had multiple concussions and 5 who are office workers and asking them to sort to ones with CTE from those without.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Has there ever been a player’s brain tested that has not tested positive for CTE?

too politically incorrect to present a neurologist with ten brains—5 who have had multiple concussions and 5 or office workers and asking them to sort to ones with CTE from those without.

there is a self-selecting tendency of those who donate these brains. It is not a random sample, to be sure. And neurology is an extremely primitive branch of medical science, relative to what we know about the human knee for example.

but to answer your question they have done studies where the scientists did not know whether the brain was a 30 year old with CTE or an 80-year-old with Alzheimer's and they could tell the difference. The patterns of the Tau protein were not the same. (Whatever that means)

presumably, they are able to tell the difference between healthy brains and unhealthy ones. 

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Not dissing jones, belittling any of these guys suffering brain damage, or denying the risk... but it's easy to talk when you're not putting a paycheck on the line. It's interesting that no elite player, at the top of their game, is walking away from the league (and big contract) and citing brain health. Sure plenty have walked when they still had a little in the tank... but nobody walks away from the mega contracts--these guys instead have their epiphany after they are past their prime/out of the league. Again, not relevant to Jones as we didn't know then what we know now. I'm talking about today. Just goes to show that a lot of it comes down to $$$, like most things in life. 

When/if a superstar at the peak of his prowess walks that will be a serious PR nightmare for the league.

Megatron?

2 hours ago, jgb said:

too politically incorrect to present a neurologist with ten brains—5 who have had multiple concussions and 5 or office workers and asking them to sort to ones with CTE from those without.

I'm pretty sure that after several years on this message board 90% of our posters would test positive for CTE.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Megatron?

He didn’t cite head injuries as the reason. Although one could argue playing for the lions is dangerous to your health even if you never see the field 

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

He didn’t cite head injuries as the reason. Although one could argue playing for the lions is dangerous to your health even if you never see the field 

Some of those guys in SF did, though that was kind of a "The ship be sinking" deal.  They lost a bunch of guys all at once.  I think Patrick Willis was supposedly because of his feet, but Anthony Davis and Chris Borland definitely cited CTE.  Borland wasn't making much, but was coming off a very good rookie season and actually had to give back some signing bonus.  Davis left a ton of money on the table to "let his brain heal" but came back for one camp before re-retiring. 

As for Calvin Johnson, when he retired he said this about concussion:

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Some of those guys in SF did, though that was kind of a "The ship be sinking" deal.  They lost a bunch of guys all at once.  I think Patrick Willis was supposedly because of his feet, but Anthony Davis and Chris Borland definitely cited CTE.  Borland wasn't making much, but was coming off a very good rookie season and actually had to give back some signing bonus.  Davis left a ton of money on the table to "let his brain heal" but came back for one camp before re-retiring. 

As for Calvin Johnson, when he retired he said this about concussion:

He maybe said one or Two things about the concussion but literally repeated hundreds of times it was about his legs and culture in Detroit. The media hounded and pressed looking for some sound bite on concussions and he mentioned it.

it was not his reason for retiring.

On 6/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, jgb said:

Didn’t a few young lbs quit last year?

11 hours ago, jgb said:

too politically incorrect to present a neurologist with ten brains—5 who have had multiple concussions and 5 who are office workers and asking them to sort to ones with CTE from those without.

I work in an office and bang my head on the wall numerous times. 

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Didn’t a few young lbs quit last year?

Yeah what I’m saying is until a Super star walks away from a $100M contract, it’ll be business as usual. And I don’t see that happening any time soon. Could actually see Rosen be the first a few years from now

Archived