Could Jets flip Teddy Bridgewater for much-needed edge rusher?

Gas2No99

Could Jets flip Teddy Bridgewater for much-needed edge rusher?

This week's New York Jets' mailbag focuses on the team's biggest need, their new "quarterback" on defense and the upcoming supplemental draft:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0913%2Fr125426_1

Because the Jaguars have so much invested in their defense , Dante Fowler could become available, but he wouldn't be cheap. Don Juan Moore/Getty Images

What are your thoughts on this trade speculation for an outside pass rusher (obvious need)? Do you think Teddy will be trade bait? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: Trader Mike Maccagnan made a huge deal last preseason, sending away Sheldon Richardson for immediate help at a need position (wide receiver Jermaine Kearse) and a future bargaining chip (2018 second-round pick) that helped him land Sam Darnold. It was a brilliant trade. Can he do it again for an edge rusher? I absolutely expect him to try.

As you mention, Ian, it's a huge need. The problem is that it's a lot harder to find a pass-rusher than a wide receiver. Two names have emerged in speculation -- Shane Ray and Dante Fowler. The reason is because they're former first-round picks whose fifth-year options weren't exercised, meaning they will be free agents after the season.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Ray rumors. He recently underwent a cleanup procedure on his surgically repaired left wrist, which could force him to miss the start of the season for the Denver Broncos. He's way too risky.

Fowler is the name to watch. The Jacksonville Jaguars have a surplus at defensive end and they probably won't be able to afford Fowler at the end of the season because they have so much money invested in defense. Based on that school of thought, yes, he could be available, but it won't be a fire sale. Fowler, drafted third overall in 2015, is coming off an eight-sack season and he'll only be 24 years old this season.

In a way, the Jaguars are in the same situation with Fowler as the Jets were with Richardson. They knew they couldn't keep Richardson, so they got what they could.

Teddy Bridgewater could be trade bait, but I don't see that happening unless Darnold wins the starting job during the preseason. There's also the matter of his surgically repaired knee. He looked fine in OTAs and minicamp, but there's still skepticism around the league about his knee. He'd have to quiet the doubters in the preseason to get teams interested. He probably wouldn't interest the Jaguars unless something happens to Blake Bortles. If there's a quarterback-needy team out there willing to part with a pass rusher ... now you're talking.

Bridgewater and the search for a pass-rusher will be stories we'll follow in August.

Why isn’t Jamal Adams calling the plays on defense this year? Do you believe Lee has the football IQ to fill that role?

@RichCimini: Ideally, you want a linebacker to be the guy getting the plays from the sideline and calling them in the huddle. Coach Todd Bowles said there have been situations where a safety handles the job, but it's uncommon. Adams is too inexperienced and, quite frankly, he does so much trash talking on the field that he might not be the best guy for it. The play-caller has to be cool, calm and poised.

I think Bowles trusts LB Darron Lee with the responsibility because he's smart and will be on the field for every play, which creates continuity. The question is, can he process the information quickly and make sight adjustments? It's a tough job. I spoke to Lee about it, and he's really fired up and confident in his ability to lead in that fashion.

Never understood the supplemental draft. Know we took Rob Moore way back when. What exactly is it Rich?

@RichCimini: The supplemental draft, which began in 1977, includes players who, for various reasons, weren't eligible for the regular draft. In many cases, it's due to academic deficiencies or disciplinary issues. If a team drafts a player in, say, the third round, they must forfeit a third-round pick in the next regular draft. The Jets used a first-round pick for Moore in 1990, so they didn't have a first-rounder in the 1991 draft. If they had, they probably would've picked Brett Favre. Sorry to pick at an old wound.

Anyway, there are three defensive backs in this year's supplemental draft on July 11 -- CB Sam Beal (Western Michigan), S Brandon Bryant (Mississippi State) and CB Adonis Alexander (Virginia Tech). The Jets dispatched two reps, including college scouting director Jon Carr, to Alexander's pro day on Wednesday. He fits the profile of a Jets corner -- good size and man-to-man cover skills. One scout told me Alexander has second-round ability, but there are some off-the-field concerns. I'd be surprised if they use a draft pick on him. They already have a lot of young corners in the pipeline.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

He probably wouldn't interest the Jaguars unless something happens to Blake Bortles. If there's a quarterback-needy team out there willing to part with a pass rusher ... now you're talking.

Jags will need a good depth QB I would think. Back ups QB’s are still valuable to a degree....plus are the Jags really that comfortable with Bortles? I could see them taking a shot on Bridgewater.

Bridgwater and a conditional 5th for Fowler.

it turns into a 4th if we sign him long term.

• Upvote 2

I would love for it to happen but I think we are placing a lot of value on TB. Also for a team that had no QB's last year some guys sure are in a rush to deal from what seem's to be a strength. Remember Deshaun Watson and how the Texans fell off after his injury? Just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

I would love for it to happen but I think we are placing a lot of value on TB. Also for a team that had no QB's last year some guys sure are in a rush to deal from what seem's to be a strength. Remember Deshaun Watson and how the Texans fell off after his injury? Just sayin'.

We could always resign Christian Hackenberg. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Teddy Bridgewater could be trade bait, but I don't see that happening unless Darnold wins the starting job during the preseason.

Darnold doesn't have to win the starting job in camp for Bridgewater to be expendable, he just has to demonstrate competence while McCown remains healthy. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think we'd get any edge rusher substantial for Teddy. It's a prized possession and nobody is going to get rid of one esp for an injured Qb making a comeback. If he looks good in pre-season I think the Jets will wait until reg. season to see if there are any major Qb injuries. If we trade him it would probably be for a draft pick. There is a good chance Darnold will be our starter😊.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think we'd get any edge rusher substantial for Teddy. It's a prized possession and nobody is going to get rid of one esp for an injured Qb making a comeback. If he looks good in pre-season I think the Jets will wait until reg. season to see if there are any major Qb injuries. If we trade him it would probably be for a draft pick. There is a good chance Darnold will be our starter😊.

We’d be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for Teddy.  The eagles got a first because Bradford was a much better player than Teddy and the Vikings were in panic mode

Teddy bridgewater has cause people to become delusional.  I just dont get it.  

He was a total JAG, had a horrific knee injury, nobody but us were even willing to sign him for dirt cheap...,

and now its expected we will get a first or second round pick or maybe an edge rusher for him.

Teddy bridgewater has made people lose their minds.

• Upvote 2

Fowler would be a good option if Teddy’s value rises to a 3rd. Not a fan of Ray. 

At the moment, I think Teddy’s value is around a 5th. Fowler’s is probably a late second early third. The Jags would have to weigh what is more valuable to them and backup QB or a backup edge. 

If Teddy has a good camp, I’d be cool with a Teddy plus a 4th for Fowler. It puts us down 2 draft picks but our edge situation would be set. We can the use most of our assets on the OL.

Assuming Darnold shows he is the FQB we expect he’ll be. And Teddy’s value rises. Right now, the value doesn’t make sense for the Jags.

29 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Sheldon Richardson was legit and performing and got us a 2nd round, which everyone thought was a pretty good deal. Teddy is not as legit and has yet to perform and he will give us a blue chip edge rusher? Think eg Jaguars could do better than Teddy B if they opted for a trade. 

Of course we would have to add in a pick to sweeten the deal.

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

^ as I previously mentioned, this sounds like a solid deal for both sides.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Sheldon Richardson was legit and performing and got us a 2nd round, which everyone thought was a pretty good deal. Teddy is not as legit and has yet to perform and he will give us a blue chip edge rusher? Think eg Jaguars could do better than Teddy B if they opted for a trade. 

Myles Garret straight up for Teddy

So honestly- the beat writers really do troll us for stories right?

because I started a Dante Fowler thread a week ago and now Cimini bites it-

like that actually happpens correct?!

it would be Awesome if we ended up acquiring him for Teddy because it was brought to the national attention because of a thread I started.  A butterfly flaps its wings in Asia....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

it would be Awesome if we ended up acquiring him for Teddy because it was brought to the national attention because of a thread I started.  A butterfly flaps its wings in Asia....

Since it would be utterly impossible to disprove then I see no reason not to go with it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, David Harris said:

almost all of Cimini's creative ideas are poached from JN.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 9:29 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Jags will need a good depth QB I would think. Back ups QB’s are still valuable to a degree....plus are the Jags really that comfortable with Bortles? I could see them taking a shot on Bridgewater.

17 hours ago, David Harris said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Mehta, Costello, Vachianni etc mined this messageboard 

I know Ira is on this messageboard as well as a now defunct one that was sold for $5.  I’ve heard Ira repeat stuff verbatim I read here first

• Upvote 1

I love the assumption that any team will need Teddy's services in all this trade talk.

The thought assumes that A. a team's starter is injured and B. they aren't happy with their backup and C. They think Bridgewater could not only learn the offense on the fly, but also be a good fit in their offensive scheme.

How likely is that exactly to thread all of those needles? This kind of thing bothers me, when fans want to trade somebody without really thinking it through for other teams.

43 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I love the assumption that any team will need Teddy's services in all this trade talk.

The thought assumes that A. a team's starter is injured and B. they aren't happy with their backup and C. They think Bridgewater could not only learn the offense on the fly, but also be a good fit in their offensive scheme.

How likely is that exactly to thread all of those needles? This kind of thing bothers me, when fans want to trade somebody without really thinking it through for other teams.

First, Teddy has to demonstrate that the knee is healthy, that he's moving well on it in the preseason, and doesn't look like he's essentially been out of the league the last two years. That's really the biggest hurdle. 

After that, I don't think they have to thread the needle you describe. Sure, an injury to a starter on a team hoping to contend is the most obvious route, but not the only one. A team really just needs to sour on their starter before the trade deadline and like Bridgewater as an option for their future - the way Garoppolo got traded last year. People like Teddy. Hell, there are people here talking about starting him and potentially trading Darnold! It's not impossible to think in a QB driven and starved league that someone might think he's worth a pick (or a player) before he becomes a free agent. 

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

I feel ya but Jax really seems a quality and dependable game-managing QB short of a Superbowl favorite.