Bleacher Report picks Jamal Adams as teams breakout candidate.

Bleacher Report recently picked every team’s breakout candidate and when it came to the New York Jets, they easily went with safety Jamal Adams.

The New York Jets might not have a roster filled up with above average top talent at every position but they have a decent amount of building pieces to have a brighter future. One such piece is safety Jamal Adams, who enjoyed a solid rookie season showing the potential of even greater things to come. 

Bleacher Report recently picked a breakout candidate for every NFL team heading into the upcoming season. When it came to the Jets, they clearly went with Adams thanks to everything he brings to the table.

Written by Bleacher Report’s Brad Gagnon, he picked Adams since he’s been focused this offseason on honing his craft towards a bigger sophomore season with the Jets. He’s spent the past few months on a special nutrition program to lose weight in order to increase his speed and awareness.

All throughout organized team activities and mandatory minicamp, Adams has been getting rave reviews on how he’s a bit more detailed in his defensive ways. He’s picking things up quicker and is focus on not only getting better as a safety but finally getting his first interception in the pros out of the way. Adams has yet to get his first interception but had several instances where it was right there for the taking. Whether it slipped out of his hands or he was simply just at the wrong place in order to haul it in, it’s all about the little things he’s focusing on to improve upon for next season based on these frustrating experiences.

Overall, expect to see Adams have another big year for the Jets and just like Gagnon wrote about, likely be one of the very few players on the team to enjoy a breakout season if everything falls into place. Adams is young and hungry for much more this time around with the Jets.

• Upvote 4

New York Jets: S Jamal Adams

Seth Wenig/Associated Press

Safety Jamal Adams wasn't a disappointment as a 16-game starter during his rookie season with the New York Jets, but the No. 6 overall pick didn't record a single interception and forced just one fumble to go along with two early-season sacks. 

The Jets undoubtedly would like to see the 22-year-old become a bigger playmaker in his sophomore season. 

And he's working to take that next step. Brian Costello of the New York Post reported in May that the LSU product has lost half a dozen pounds while spending much of his first full offseason focusing on diet and nutrition. 

Jets head coach Todd Bowles likes what he sees. 

"He’s been running around like he was last year," Bowles said, per Costello. "From a mental standpoint, his eyes are better and he’s focused on the little things. From that standpoint, I see him getting better."

It would be hard not to see that. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2780610-every-nfl-teams-2018-breakout-player-candidate.amp.html

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This guy was already on the all-rookie team and he's a breakout candidate? Just goes to show you how good this guy will be

Shows what kind of faith Bowles inspires as a player developer--our potential break out player is a broke out player. Maybe BR is predicting he's good enough to not regress after another year of Bowles' "tutelage."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

I for one hope Adams does not break out, I would hate to see experts be wrong on the interwebz even if it was good for the Jets 

Right, because if you aren’t any good at protecting the feelings of complete strangers on the internet....

How are you going to protect your family from the same disappointment when you break out the reverse card in UNO during family game night?

In January I would like to compare the play of Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James and Jamal Adams. 

Look at how much smaller Adams is than Gronkowski.

Adams will be a good player, but like with Darron Lee, the proof will be in whether he is worth the 5th year option and a new contract.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right, because if you aren’t any good at protecting the feelings of complete strangers on the internet....

How are you going to protect your family from the same disappointment when you break out the reverse card in UNO during family game night?

Not fair. There is no mercy in the Uno Universe.

Derwin James is the guy that Jets fans think Adams is. James is 6’2, 215!lbs with a 4.47/40, 40” vert, and an 11’ broad jump. You compare those numbers to Adams’ combine, it makes Adams look like the fourth round special teamer that he is. 

• Haha 1

Derwin James is the guy that Jets fans think Adams is. James is 6’2, 215!lbs with a 4.47/40, 40” vert, and an 11’ broad jump. You compare those numbers to Adams’ combine, it makes Adams look like the fourth round special teamer that he is. 

No knowledgeable Jets fan thinks this. Derwin James is a deep free safety which is a completely different position then what Adams plays. Marcus Maye would be more of a comparison.
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tfine said:

No knowledgeable Jets fan thinks this. Derwin James is a deep free safety which is a completely different position then what Adams plays. Marcus Maye would be more of a comparison.

I.E. Derwin James is the only kind of safety that matters in the NFL anymore. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I.E. Derwin James is the only kind of safety that matters in the NFL anymore. 

And he was picked below 6th.

Bowles will make Adams into the Honey Badger.  That is not a terrible thing.  But the Cardinals also realized that HB was not worth his contract.

I think people need to look at the Adams pick objectively.  The NFL draft is supposed to be about value.  Mac is about not screwing up.  Adams was the safe pick.  The other options were too risky.  But the way it is looking now, there are several players looking like better players than Adams who were picked lower.  I guess those picks could have backfired. 

So Adams will be a good player but not a great value for the 6th pick, technically.  But a bust for the 6th pick is not good value either.   

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, varjet said:

... I think people need to look at the Adams pick objectively.  The NFL draft is supposed to be about value.  Mac is about not screwing up.  Adams was the safe pick.  The other options were too risky.  But the way it is looking now, there are several players looking like better players than Adams who were picked lower.  I guess those picks could have backfired. 

So Adams will be a good player but not a great value for the 6th pick, technically.  But a bust for the 6th pick is not good value either.   

I think Mac had to play it safe - from the 2008-2014 drafts only 2 of 9 first round picks were even offered second contracts and they were all off the team long before a third contract, players who should be the core of this team are mostly out of football

Amazing to think the Jets do not have a single first or second round pick drafted prior to 2015 still on the team 

Leo, Lee, Adams may not make the HOF but they should get second contracts 

15 hours ago, varjet said:

And he was picked below 6th.

Bowles will make Adams into the Honey Badger.  That is not a terrible thing.  But the Cardinals also realized that HB was not worth his contract.

I think people need to look at the Adams pick objectively.  The NFL draft is supposed to be about value.  Mac is about not screwing up.  Adams was the safe pick.  The other options were too risky.  But the way it is looking now, there are several players looking like better players than Adams who were picked lower.  I guess those picks could have backfired.  

Vernon Gholston was a better pick than Jamal Adams.  There, I said it.  I'd rather the GM have some balls and try to bring in a player who could potentially be elite at a premium position rather than draft a "sure bet" who is basically guaranteed not to move the needle for the franchise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Vernon Gholston was a better pick than Jamal Adams.  There, I said it.  I'd rather the GM have some balls and try to bring in a player who could potentially be elite at a premium position rather than draft a "sure bet" who is basically guaranteed not to move the needle for the franchise. 

I dunno bout that.  Adams is at least a functioning nfl player.  He’s not particularly good or worth the 6th pick overall but at least he plays

I get what you are saying about premium position tho

I've said this before. 

There may be guys like Adams that have a good year. Guys like Darnold that end up playing well in their first year. Guys like Enunwa that bounce back for a great season. 

But IMO the biggest surprise and a breakout year in his own right will be Nathan Shepherd-NT/DT/DE. I think the Jets will use him all over the line. I think he will help in the pass rush and I think he will outplay McLendon at NT/DT if given the opportunity and barring injury.