Bleacher Report picks Jamal Adams as teams breakout candidate.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, jgb said:

Can’t believe we did a double on safeties when good NFL FA safeties can’t even find work or are being offered vet minimum deals.

The only danger in getting Darnold is that it gives even more protection to Mac and Bowles

Macagnan’s drafts outside of lucking out and having Sam fall in his lap have been 95% suckage

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The only danger in getting Darnold is that it gives even more protection to Mac and Bowles

Macagnan’s drafts outside of lucking out and having Sam fall in his lap have been 95% suckage

Yeah we need Darnold to pull a Goff year one.... and then become at least a Goff year two...

On 6/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Vernon Gholston was a better pick than Jamal Adams.  There, I said it.  I'd rather the GM have some balls and try to bring in a player who could potentially be elite at a premium position rather than draft a "sure bet" who is basically guaranteed not to move the needle for the franchise. 

In general I agree with most of your posts, but...what?

According to this, you’re good with Mac picking Hack because he was a risky pick at a premium position who could potentially become elite?

About the the only thing I give Mac credit for during his tenure here was trading up to the top 3 and guaranteeing us one of the top 3 QBs, thereby falling into Darnold. But...Vernon Gholsten? Just to shade Mac. Really? Dude might be the single greatest non-QB bust in the history of the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah we need Darnold to pull a Goff year one.... and then become at least a Goff year two...

For that, Darnold needs to get a GM like Snead who will address the OL and offensive skill positions, and a head coach like McVey who will game plan and call plays to maximize their talents/positive attributes.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

In general I agree with most of your posts, but...what?

According to this, you’re good with Mac picking Hack because he was a risky pick at a premium position who could potentially become elite?

About the the only thing I give Mac credit for during his tenure here was trading up to the top 3 and guaranteeing us one of the top 3 QBs, thereby falling into Darnold. But...Vernon Gholsten? Just to shade Mac. Really? Dude might be the single greatest non-QB bust in the history of the NFL. 

No, you have to pick a player who has a chance to become elite at premium positions.  Hackenberg had no chance to become elite because of his awful college completion % against powerhouse college programs like Indiana. 

No, Gholston is not on that level of busts, especially when you look at the picks that came behind him.  He was a colossal failure but at least it was an attempt to bring in a pass-rusher who had elite measurables at the time.  The real tragedy that year was not tanking properly during the season, ensuring we missed out on Matt Ryan. 

You have to take calculated risks in the draft.  Macc's failures to do so by taking guys like Darron Lee and Jamal Adams ensures we end up with no elite players on the roster at premium positions.  His approach is the absolute worst. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, you have to pick a player who has a chance to become elite at premium positions.  Hackenberg had no chance to become elite because of his awful college completion % against powerhouse college programs like Indiana. 

No, Gholston is not on that level of busts, especially when you look at the picks that came behind him.  He was a colossal failure but at least it was an attempt to bring in a pass-rusher who had elite measurables at the time.  The real tragedy that year was not tanking properly during the season, ensuring we missed out on Matt Ryan. 

You have to take calculated risks in the draft.  Macc's failures to do so by taking guys like Darron Lee and Jamal Adams ensures we end up with no elite players on the roster at premium positions.  His approach is the absolute worst. 

I don't disagree with Mac's indictment for not getting any truly quality players. The NFL top 100 thing, as sh*tty as that list is, is definitely a knock on Mac. I just think bringing up ghost (5 starts in 48 games, 16 tackles, 0 everything else) relative to anyone is hyperbole. I haven't dug into it, but I genuinely cannot think of any other non-QB top 6 pick which was a bigger bust than ghost. Maybe Charles Rogers at #2, but even then DE>WR, and at least Rogers started 15 games and caught 4 TDs and 24 first downs.

Regarding ghost v. hack, they both had elite measurables. Hack for a QB...height, build, hand size, arm talent; while Ghost had elite DE combine measurables and that one highlight play in college. Both had spotty, if not downright sh*tty actual game performances in college too. If one was a project taken based purely on raw physical skill/measurables, they both were. They seem very similar in that sense.

Regarding ghost v. adams, there's something to be said for Adams starting 16 games as a rookie and trending upwards to the point where some national media outlets are projecting him as a potential pro-bowl player next season. Ghost was never considered anything but a bust.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

For that, Darnold needs to get a GM like Snead who will address the OL and offensive skill positions, and a head coach like McVey who will game plan and call plays to maximize their talents/positive attributes.

Step one get rid of Bowles. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gholston is, absolutely, that level of bust. An all-timer. 

Belichick traded up to the spot behind the Jets and Mandoofus and Tannenbaum were frightened into taking the supposedly last blue chip player in that draft. What they got instead was a bodybuilder who could barely get on the field. A colossal miss. 

I'm absolutely no fan of taking a safety with average measurables for his position with the 6th overall pick, but Adams at least looks like a starter at his position. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2018 at 9:13 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Vernon Gholston was a better pick than Jamal Adams.  There, I said it.  I'd rather the GM have some balls and try to bring in a player who could potentially be elite at a premium position rather than draft a "sure bet" who is basically guaranteed not to move the needle for the franchise. 

Woah, hyperbole much, JF80?

I stand by my post.  I'd rather take a risk, even one as heavy as Gholston, than take a nice, safe player who will never be elite, and especially at a non-premium position.  Adams will be a nice starter for a while.  Cool.  That's like taking a guard.  That's not worth the 6th pick.  If you're going to fail with a pick, fail with balls. 

Gholston pick > Jamal Adams pick. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I stand by my post.  I'd rather take a risk, even one as heavy as Gholston, than take a nice, safe player who will never be elite, and especially at a non-premium position.  Adams will be a nice starter for a while.  Cool.  That's not worth the 6th pick.  If you're going to fail with a pick, fail with balls. 

Gholston pick > Jamal Adams pick. 

Neither are worthy of a 6th pick but the one that actually helps the team in some way, shape or form is the better choice.. you are basing your opinion off “potential” when 2008 has passed...hindsight will tell you each time that while Vernon had the measurables...Adams is at the least a good starter at his position. 

I will take a player that’s can start over a player that didn’t even belong in the league. 

Lol i don’t understand...you’d rather a complete failure over a solid option just because the complete failure was a more intriguing draft prospect?

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Neither are worthy of a 6th pick but the one that actually helps the team in some way, shape or form is the better choice.. you are basing your opinion off “potential” when 2008 has passed...hindsight will tell you each time that while Vernon had the measurables...Adams is at the least a good starter at his position. 

I will take a player that’s can start over a player that didn’t even belong in the league. 

Lol i don’t understand...you’d rather a complete failure over a solid option just because the complete failure was a more intriguing draft prospect? 

Hindsight is not something our front offices had the benefit of prior to the Gholston or Adams picks.  But foresight should have at least told us a box safety, especially on a team lacking any elite talent at premium positions, is never a worthy pick at 6.  A pass rusher is.  Its one of the 3 most important positions on the field.  We haven't even tried to draft a legit pass rusher since 2008 (except maybe Coples?) and we've seen the results. We've always had difficulty getting to the QB and have put undue pressure on the secondary. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gholston put up pretty much the same combine numbers as Adams despite being 6’4 260, except he jumped a lot better and was Ohio State’s all-time leader in sacks while Adams wasn’t even the best defensive back on his own defense

Wrong.

If you are referring to Tre’Davious White, which I am assuming that you are. White easily made a greater impact in his first year in the league but while at LSU, Adams was the enforcer. 

Stats aside, Adams played a Kam Chancellor role in college and he had a higher impact on defense. His run support was the best in the NCAA and his pass coverage was very good as well.

Pass coverage in the pros? We can all agree it’s shaky at best. It’s faster and the defense is smarter so naturally there is a transition period, naturally his eyes need to adjust and that can take longer than a year. Idk what people don’t understand about that.....6th pick status aside lol.

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wrong.

If you are referring to Tre’Davious White, which I am assuming that you are. White easily made a greater impact in his first year in the league but while at LSU, Adams was the enforcer. 

Stats aside, Adams played a Kam Chancellor role in college and he had a higher impact on defense. His run support was the best in the NCAA and his pass coverage was very good as well.

Pass coverage in the pros? We can all agree it’s shaky at best. It’s faster and the defense is smarter so naturally there is a transition period, naturally his eyes need to adjust and that can take longer than a year. Idk what people don’t understand about that.....6th pick status aside lol.

Cool. Cool. There are about five or six of these “enforcer” strong safeties out on the street in free agency and #1 corners are getting $80 million dollar contracts.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

For the 6th overall pick, he better be the best box safety ever to play in the NFL lol

True that. Maybe the writer means Adams will ‘break out’ of his box safety mode and develop into a bonafide safety that can notch some interceptions. Or is that too much to ask for a player picked at 6th in the draft? ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I'm absolutely no fan of taking a safety with average measurables for his position with the 6th overall pick, but Adams at least looks like a starter at his position. 

As they say, ‘Looks are deceiving’.  ? 

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I was just responding to your claim that he wasn’t the best DB at LSU.??‍♂️

This the NFL not LSU. He’s not even the best safety on this team. That honor easily goes to Maye who has been subtly overlooked because of the hype of Adams mouth ? 

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

In 3 season Gholston had 24 solo tackles and 18 assisted tackles. That's it.

Adams rookie year had 63 solo tackles, 20 assisted, 2 sacks, and 6 passes defended.

Your argument that safety doesn't have an impact on the game is false. Golston was drafted to rush the passer and was outdone by Adams in 1 season. 

Just now, RESNewYork said:

In 3 season Gholston had 24 solo tackles and 18 assisted tackles. That's it.

Adams rookie year had 63 solo tackles, 20 assisted, 2 sacks, and 6 passes defended.

Your argument that safety doesn't have an impact on the game is false. Golston was drafted to rush the passer and was outdone by Adams in 1 season. 

We went 5-11 before drafting Jamal Adams.  We went 5-11 after drafting him. 

#ImmediateImpactPlayer

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

We went 5-11 before drafting Jamal Adams.  We went 5-11 after drafting him. 

#ImmediateImpactPlayer

Interesting, so Golston's 42 tackles and zero sacks in 45 games made more of an impact?

Adding a hashtag doesn't make your statement more legit. You said Golston was a better pick than Adams. Your Adams hate is misguided, uninformed, and absolutely false.

30 minutes ago, BigO said:

This the NFL not LSU. He’s not even the best safety on this team. That honor easily goes to Maye who has been subtly overlooked because of the hype of Adams mouth ? 

If I were Todd Bowles I’d use his love to talk as a motivational tool. Call him out in the media and say “ I’m going to put a lid on him this yr, if he starts grading out like a pro-bowler he can then talk like 1 again “ ?‍♂️

• Haha 1