How many wins gets Todd Bowles another extension in 2019?

Philc1

How many wins gets Todd Bowles another extension in 2019?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins gets Todd Bowles another extension in 2019?

Its only going to be about IMPROVEMENT as the season progresses once Darnold sinks in to the starting QB seat. I'm positive Bowles & Bates are all in on getting him ready this offseason to be the starter.

What does McCown do for Bowles or Bates future here? Every single coach in this league says the same thing when asked what the goal is in the NFL, and that is to build a championship team & win a Super Bowl. Now these guys might end up being bad coaches, but they sure as hell aren't stupid enough to believe they can win a Super Bowl with a 39 year old journeyman who has won 7 games in three years.

Chris Johnson won't stand for this team to go backwards without showing improvement at the most important position on the football field & that's at QB. Bowles better concentrate on fixing his sh*tty defenses that can't stop a nose bleed at the most important times of the game on 3rd down & in the Redzone. 

Unless the Jets find themselves inexplicably deep in the playoffs this year, Bowles' contract will not be addressed. Next year will be the playoff mandate type thing. Once that season's over they'll make the decision whether to fire or extend both Bowles and Mac. 

Although, less than 5 wins could potentially get him fired, especially if Darnold doesn't see the field or looks bad. 

Sammy controls Bowles future, not wins. 

Sam looks good, got the team and fans buzzing with excitement = another extension, but most likely not until he's got one year left

Sam looks okay = nothing changes, plays out current contract and on the hot seat

Sam struggles, fans not happy = fired

I would hope Chris Johnson does not have a line in the sand for wins and based on his comments it doesn't seem like that is the case. If the team has to win a specific number then Bowles is going to play to safely win at least that number of games which means the focus is not on development but winning right now. That would be a huge setback for the team because there are a lot of young guys--not just Darnold--who need development. I'm not a believer in the paradigm that players have to play in games to develop but if the coaching staff spends practice time only focusing on conservative game strategies to win a handful of games then they aren't spending enough time working on long term success. That would be a reason to dump this coaching staff, not keep them. 

Instead the coaching staff needs the slack to think about developing long term success even if that means losing games this year. Obviously they need to work on game plans to win each week but the overall focus, especially right now, should be how to develop a team that wins ten games in 2019 than coach up their vets to win seven games this year. If the coaching staff can't develop young players then the whole draft process is pretty much worthless unless you find a GM with incredible luck to pick a group of players ready to go on day one every year. 

If you take a look at the 2017 season the Jets played well for 3 quarters in almost every game they lost. Only Denver, Raiders and Pats 2nd game did they stink up the field. If they played 4 quarters of football their record could have got them a wildcard spot last year. With that being said I’m expecting at the very least 8 wins this year. Anything less than that would give serious consideration to Bowles future. There also needs to be development with Sam and he should see action at some point in the season (if he’s even remotely ready to take the helm). Early signs show he should see action this season. Red shirting him could be disastrous for Bowles. Jets are well into the rebuild. Mac and Bowles should be able to put a competitive team on the field. Bowles needs to start taking chances on both sides of the football and make things happen. 

56 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Sam looks good, got the team and fans buzzing with excitement = another extension, but most likely not until he's got one year left

Sam looks okay = nothing changes, plays out current contract and on the hot seat

This.

I think he gets an extension if the Jets win 10+ and make the playoffs with at least one playoff win. 

If the team wins 5 or less, Sam doesn’t develop and the players sour on him, then I think he gets fired.

In other words, it’s unlikely Bowles gets an extension and it’s unlikley he will get fired. 

I see the Jets as a 7-8 win team. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I think he gets an extension if the Jets win 10+ and make the playoffs with at least one playoff win. 

If the team wins 5 or less, Sam doesn’t develop and the players sour on him, then I think he gets fired.

In other words, it’s unlikely Bowles gets an extension and it’s unlikley he will get fired. 

I see the Jets as a 7-8 win team. 

Seeing as how he was extended for two years and not one I'm inclined to agree with this assessment. If it was a one year "So you aren't coaching in your last year" extension then I could see it happening in a so-so year record wise.

But since he's on until the 2020 season is completed (four year deal to start with + two years) there's no reason to do anything unless he well exceeds expectations with this roster.

I can’t vote. Not enough wins on the board. He’s gonna need 8 wins to keep his job believe me. This team just added a new franchise QB. They need the right head coach to go forward with Darnold. If Bowles goes 7-9 I think he’s gone. Jets added some good players and 2 decent drafts in a row. It’s now or never for Bowles. 8 wins gives him another year.  6-10 See Ya!

0-16 gets him 5 years

1-15 gets him 10

2-14 a cool 15

and 

3-13 or better reels in part ownership and complete control of football operations so the Johnsons don't have to be bothered with it..

In all seriousness, they rewarded 2 X 5-11 boring dreck seasons, why would anyone believe anything will ever change?

8 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Yup. Jets are the 2017 Texans.

Although, I'd fire him if his defense isn't in the top half of the league. But I'm not Woody.

9 hours ago, slats said:

Unless the Jets find themselves inexplicably deep in the playoffs this year, Bowles' contract will not be addressed. Next year will be the playoff mandate type thing. Once that season's over they'll make the decision whether to fire or extend both Bowles and Mac. 

Although, less than 5 wins could potentially get him fired, especially if Darnold doesn't see the field or looks bad. 

Im in agreement with this

19 hours ago, slats said:

Yes 2019 is Bowles do or die year. However, if Bowles is shown the door after 2019, Mac gets a free pass and will get to pick his own head coach. The other wild card in Mac continuing despite an average record, is Darnold. The thinking could be he is young, developing and needs time to blossom. Mac’s personality, intelligence and finally getting a franchise QB are major factors in Johnson keeping him around. Now if only he could put a legit roster together that could compete. 

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

Yes 2019 is Bowles do or die year. However, if Bowles is shown the door after 2019, Mac gets a free pass and will get to pick his own head coach. The other wild card in Mac continuing despite an average record, is Darnold. The thinking could be he is young, developing and needs time to blossom. Mac’s personality, intelligence and finally getting a franchise QB are major factors in Johnson keeping him around. Now if only he could put a legit roster together that could compete. 

I don't know about that. 

Right now, Mac and Bowles are basically treated as equals, with neither man reporting to the other, instead, with each man reporting to the owner. I, personally, hate the hierarchy here, but the Johnsons, obviously, prefer it. So if they fire just Bowles, does Mac essentially get a promotion to head of the football operations with a new head coach reporting to him? Or does the owner hire a new head coach, presumably with input from Mac, and have that coach have the same reporting directly to the owner privileges that Bowles currently enjoys? 

I think they should be a package deal. Either both in or both out. If Bowles gets fired, I'd want them to go after Jim Harbaugh, or some other alleged super-coach, who would be the head of the organization with a personnel man reporting to him. 

18 hours ago, MaxAF said:

If you take a look at the 2017 season the Jets played well for 3 quarters in almost every game they lost. Only Denver, Raiders and Pats 2nd game did they stink up the field. If they played 4 quarters of football their record could have got them a wildcard spot last year. With that being said I’m expecting at the very least 8 wins this year. Anything less than that would give serious consideration to Bowles future. There also needs to be development with Sam and he should see action at some point in the season (if he’s even remotely ready to take the helm). Early signs show he should see action this season. Red shirting him could be disastrous for Bowles. Jets are well into the rebuild. Mac and Bowles should be able to put a competitive team on the field. Bowles needs to start taking chances on both sides of the football and make things happen. 

Bowles is a fink. He won’t let Darnold play much this season. Not until they’re eliminated from the playoffs. He’ll utter ‘McClown gives us the best chance to win and we’re moving along with Darnold’ blah blah. If he throws Darnold into the mix early and goes through growing pains like Goff did, Bowles will look bad. It’s a chance he won’t take. He didn’t do it last year, he won’t do it this year until it’s absolutely necessary. The few meaningless wins McClown gets will masquerade as progress. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't know about that. 

Right now, Mac and Bowles are basically treated as equals, with neither man reporting to the other, instead, with each man reporting to the owner. I, personally, hate the hierarchy here, but the Johnsons, obviously, prefer it. So if they fire just Bowles, does Mac essentially get a promotion to head of the football operations with a new head coach reporting to him? Or does the owner hire a new head coach, presumably with input from Mac, and have that coach have the same reporting directly to the owner privileges that Bowles currently enjoys? 

I think they should be a package deal. Either both in or both out. If Bowles gets fired, I'd want them to go after Jim Harbaugh, or some other alleged super-coach, who would be the head of the organization with a personnel man reporting to him. 

A Harbaugh type as you suggest would be ideal for this franchise. But, these are the Jets we’re talking about. Bowles failure as a coach could persuade the Johnsons to look at the Casserly experiment as a failure and pull the plug on it. I just have a feeling though they really like Mac for reasons I stated.  He gives the franchise a certain style it just hasn’t had. I believe they will give him the opportunity to hire his own head coach and return to the traditional manner in how the NFL functions. Now, all that’s left is for Mac to sign the right coach,  draft better and sign competent free agents to develop a competitive  roster. 

19 hours ago, Jetster said:

Its only going to be about IMPROVEMENT as the season progresses once Darnold sinks in to the starting QB seat. I'm positive Bowles & Bates are all in on getting him ready this offseason to be the starter.

What does McCown do for Bowles or Bates future here? Every single coach in this league says the same thing when asked what the goal is in the NFL, and that is to build a championship team & win a Super Bowl. Now these guys might end up being bad coaches, but they sure as hell aren't stupid enough to believe they can win a Super Bowl with a 39 year old journeyman who has won 7 games in three years.

Chris Johnson won't stand for this team to go backwards without showing improvement at the most important position on the football field & that's at QB. Bowles better concentrate on fixing his sh*tty defenses that can't stop a nose bleed at the most important times of the game on 3rd down & in the Redzone. 

Then he better be ready to pay the fine or stay in the locker room. 

15 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

0-16 gets him 5 years

1-15 gets him 10

2-14 a cool 15

and 

3-13 or better reels in part ownership and complete control of football operations so the Johnsons don't have to be bothered with it..

In all seriousness, they rewarded 2 X 5-11 boring dreck seasons, why would anyone believe anything will ever change?

Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher had a love child , and his name is Todd Bowles.

He will be here:

tumblr_mo8hpjvUCD1s5r2uro1_500.gif

20 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Don't agree. There were a mess of games when they simply were not competitive and opposing teams KNEW the Jet's offense wasn't going to do much but step on their own dicks. The defense was on the field all day, but without a pass rush they usually folded like a cheap picnic table late in games. But even conceding the bolded, speaks to a coach that adds very little and gets a whole bunch wrong when it matters. 

In the Denver game the team quit at half. In 2 others, they punted down 2 scores at midfield late in the 4th. Bowles fires his 22nd OC for "passing too much" when objectively that wasn't true and passing is how NFL games get won in 2018. That's pussyball cowardice. 

Dare I say something unusual for a MB; I have no idea how this year plays out. And that's in part because Bowles has shown himself to coach so cowardly, so inept, so backward,so bad at his job, even the defense end of things, that I do not expect him to do the logical thing and play Darnold no later than midseason. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, if Todd wins two of the three games fake-fan @Jetster deigns to watch, you’ll be reading a lot about how he deserves an extension.

I'm not really a Bowles fan but give any coach the dregs we've been starting at QB & the team will struggle. It's all about Darnold for me, I refuse to believe McCown or Bridgewater are or will be better QBs over 16 games. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Bowles is a fink. He won’t let Darnold play much this season. Not until they’re eliminated from the playoffs. He’ll utter ‘McClown gives us the best chance to win and we’re moving along with Darnold’ blah blah. If he throws Darnold into the mix early and goes through growing pains like Goff did, Bowles will look bad. It’s a chance he won’t take. He didn’t do it last year, he won’t do it this year until it’s absolutely necessary. The few meaningless wins McClown gets will masquerade as progress. 

I think the press, casual observers & his teammates only needed OTAs to see Sams upside compared to journeyman McCown & Bridgewater.

The guy can make throws that those 2 could only dream of making. His pro day in a downpour was so good, that everyone there announced he solidified his place as the 1st QB to come off the board. I mean, Petty couldn't even THROW IN THE RAIN he was so bad. 

Hack & Petty SUCKED so bad Bowles played the best QB he had which was clearly McCown. I think this goes simarly to Seattle when they signed the dude from Green Bay as a free agent & drafted Wilson. Carrol couldn't ignore how good Wilson was, and I think we'll see the same thing happen here. McCown is almost 40, there is NO WAY he can move around & throw the ball ? like Darnold. Darnold Starts, Bowles has no choice.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I think the press, casual observers & his teammates only needed OTAs to see Sams upside compared to journeyman McCown & Bridgewater.

The guy can make throws that those 2 could only dream of making. His pro day in a downpour was so good, that everyone there announced he solidified his place as the 1st QB to come off the board. I mean, Petty couldn't even THROW IN THE RAIN he was so bad. 

Hack & Petty SUCKED so bad Bowles played the best QB he had which was clearly McCown. I think this goes simarly to Seattle when they signed the dude from Green Bay as a free agent & drafted Wilson. Carrol couldn't ignore how good Wilson was, and I think we'll see the same thing happen here. McCown is almost 40, there is NO WAY he can move around & throw the ball ? like Darnold. Darnold Starts, Bowles has no choice.

I pretty much agree and feel that they’ll decide their starting QB before the season begins but actually start with McCown for the first 3 games due to condensed schedule, road game, Monday night etc.. Kind of like a final prep for good measure which I have no problem with. I don’t think the coaching staff will be able to ignore his upside and the quicker he shows progress, the more time it’ll buy Marvin Lewis Jr. 

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

Thank God the dark era of Hack and Petty is over

Archived