How many wins gets Todd Bowles another extension in 2019?

Philc1

How many wins gets Todd Bowles another extension in 2019?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins gets Todd Bowles another extension in 2019?

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

Don't agree. There were a mess of games when they simply were not competitive and opposing teams KNEW the Jet's offense wasn't going to do much but step on their own dicks. The defense was on the field all day, but without a pass rush they usually folded like a cheap picnic table late in games. But even conceding the bolded, speaks to a coach that adds very little and gets a whole bunch wrong when it matters. 

In the Denver game the team quit at half. In 2 others, they punted down 2 scores at midfield late in the 4th. Bowles fires his 22nd OC for "passing too much" when objectively that wasn't true and passing is how NFL games get won in 2018. That's pussyball cowardice. 

Dare I say something unusual for a MB; I have no idea how this year plays out. And that's in part because Bowles has shown himself to coach so cowardly, so inept, so backward,so bad at his job, even the defense end of things, that I do not expect him to do the logical thing and play Darnold no later than midseason. 

They may have not looked  good in many of the losses but they were in it. A TD or less in many of the games in the 4th quarter was the difference between winning the majority of those games or losing them. This is why I’m not thrilled to see McCown start and see how far he can go. He’s a game manager not somebody who is gonna take the offense and win it in the fourth quarter. The conservative approach must be dismantled this year and the team needs to be aggressive on both sides of the ball and take chances. I think Darnold has that gunslinger mentality. It doesn’t always lead to victory as I’ve seen Favre throw as many int’s as td’s in those situations. None the less it’s how you have to play this game. Bowles needs to play to win not play to keep the Jets close.

I think the fate of Bowles is tied to how the defense performs this year, not to wins. I think he has a free pass on wins this year, barring a catastrophic team implosion.  If this defense minded coach produces another bottom tier defense, I think he'll be gone no matter how well Darnold plays.  

On 7/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, Bugg said:

Bowles fires his 22nd OC for "passing too much" when objectively that wasn't true and passing is how NFL games get won in 2018.

Chan retired. Bates was let go for his subordinate who I assume was promoted because he's the better coach. Morton is still looking for a job. So it was one OC fired.

Bowles never said Morton passed too much. Don't recall any Jet coach or someone from the organization saying Morton was fired for passing too much. What it probably was is an opinion written by a writer, that is taken as fact from a few fans, who then pass it on as fact on this board.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:58 PM, Jetster said:

Its only going to be about IMPROVEMENT as the season progresses once Darnold sinks in to the starting QB seat. I'm positive Bowles & Bates are all in on getting him ready this offseason to be the starter.

What does McCown do for Bowles or Bates future here? Every single coach in this league says the same thing when asked what the goal is in the NFL, and that is to build a championship team & win a Super Bowl. Now these guys might end up being bad coaches, but they sure as hell aren't stupid enough to believe they can win a Super Bowl with a 39 year old journeyman who has won 7 games in three years.

Chris Johnson won't stand for this team to go backwards without showing improvement at the most important position on the football field & that's at QB. Bowles better concentrate on fixing his sh*tty defenses that can't stop a nose bleed at the most important times of the game on 3rd down & in the Redzone. 

right.  but at the same time, they may say it's not about the wins but at the end of the day that's going to be the final determinant.  imo bowles needs to be sniffing the playoffs until the end or he's toast.  and how can they do that? for one thing bowles defense can finally start playing the way he intended it.  he's got his safeties and corners. his dline is good.  the lb's may be better than expected.  it's time for the defense to shine and if it does then there's more than a good chance the jets will have a good season.

15 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think the fate of Bowles is tied to how the defense performs this year, not to wins. I think he has a free pass on wins this year, barring a catastrophic team implosion.  If this defense minded coach produces another bottom tier defense, I think he'll be gone no matter how well Darnold plays.  

If we show improvement and go from 27th to 26th ranked defense Bowles gets a 5 year extension 

22 hours ago, MaxAF said:

The conservative approach must be dismantled this year and the team needs to be aggressive on both sides of the ball and take chances. I think Darnold has that gunslinger mentality. It doesn’t always lead to victory as I’ve seen Favre throw as many int’s as td’s in those situations. None the less it’s how you have to play this game. Bowles needs to play to win not play to keep the Jets close.

Hard to imagine Bowles being able to do that. He takes that defensive coach's conservative mentality to the extreme. I just hope they don't ruin this kid. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

Hard to imagine Bowles being able to do that. He takes that defensive coach's conservative mentality to the extreme. I just hope they don't ruin this kid. 

This has to be a turning point year at every aspect of the game. If the Jets incur another 5-11 season with all that cap money they had and spent, I have to think they will look seriously at a revamping of the coaching and GM positions. There should be no excuses for not starting to look like contenders and I’ll go as far to say wildcard status.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:30 PM, MaxAF said:

This has to be a turning point year at every aspect of the game. If the Jets incur another 5-11 season with all that cap money they had and spent, I have to think they will look seriously at a revamping of the coaching and GM positions. There should be no excuses for not starting to look like contenders and I’ll go as far to say wildcard status.

The problem is Chrissy is impressed by 5-11

13 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Last year. He’s crazy if he goes for another year of 5-11 after spending 90 mil

I don’t think he cares.  The sad thing is Darnold probably gets us to 7-9 based on brilliant play but Bowles costs us 4-5 wins based on his stupidity so he gets another extension 

I think it depends on what you mean by "extension." To get a legitimate "you're our guy" multi-year extension I think we're talking at least 10 wins/playoffs and an excitement that the team is good and moving in the right direction.

To get another one year tacked on so that he's not a lame duck (aka not getting fired) I think 6 wins is the minimum but more than that it's about the direction of the team particularly the young players and specifically Darnold. If they go 6-10 or 7-9 but Darnold/Leo/Adams play well and the team shows promise I think he's fine.

Darnold really struggling is the worst thing that could happen for him. If he looks lost I think the organization does what the Rams did after 2016, dumping Jeff Fisher and bringing in McVay to "save" Goff.

Archived